AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you be unhappy with gifts?

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2014 06:26 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Berwald Oxenstiernas (Hetalia) vital regions [Sweden]
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Question Can you be unhappy with gifts?

Is it allowed to be unhappy with gifts that you recive, or do you have to be satisfied with what you get?

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie
    Season five of Game of Thrones
    New episodes of Downton Abbey

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can you be unhappy with gifts?

You mean like making an scene?

I don't like getting clothes from people that don't know me well, if that's what you mean. They either get my size wrong or it's not my style is that you mean. But I don't go and be like "Yo! I don't like your gift!".
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 12-26-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Someone took my sweet roll! Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon has a reputation beyond repute Derrick Remon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Jet 255 - Torchic 255 - Torchic
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2013 04:05 PM
    Threads

You can be disappointed at times, but free is free.

┈┈┈┈┈╭┻━━┻╮┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┃▆┈┈▆┃┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╭╋━━━━╋╮┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈┃┃┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈╰┫┈┈┈┈┣╯┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈╰┓┏┓┏╯┈┈┈┈┈
    ┈┈┈┈┈┈╰╯╰╯┈┈┈┈┈┈

4. Likes aerophobia liked this post
    Member sgtscott658 is on a distinguished road sgtscott658's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-26-2012 11:07 AM
    Threads

Hi-

I would say suck it up and drive on. Its the thought that counts I think. And be gratful you got something at least.

Scott

Senior Member SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys has a reputation beyond repute SuXrys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    You mean like making an scene?
    That, or just being ungrateful in general.
    Just unhappy in general; maybe asking for the receipt so you can trade it for something else.

Those kind of things.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuXrys View Post
    That, or just being ungrateful in general.
    Just unhappy in general; maybe asking for the receipt so you can trade it for something else.

Those kind of things.
    It depends on the gift, I guess...like clothes or anything that requires a size or look.

But plain out asking for a receipt is rude.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It depends on the gift, I guess...like clothes or anything that requires a size or look.

But plain out asking for a receipt is rude.
    So what do you do with a gift that you don't want at all? Perhaps a gift that you have told people many times that you don't want for different reasons, maybe don't have any room for it, already have x-number of that thing or perhaps even can't have it because you are allergic to it? But still every year, you'll get it - despise how many times you have told people that you don't want it. What do you do?

--
    Im not in this situation myself, I just find the topic interesting.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

So what do you do with a gift that you don't want at all? Perhaps a gift that you have told people many times that you don't want for different reasons, maybe don't have any room for it, already have x-number of that thing or perhaps even can't have it because you are allergic to it? But still every year, you'll get it - despise how many times you have told people that you don't want it. What do you do?

--
    Im not in this situation myself, I just find the topic interesting.
    In my eyes, if it's a good friend or a family member I'll tell them after...not straight away. If it's a someone I'm no close with...I don't really do it since I don't know them like that so it's more rude to me.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In my eyes, if it's a good friend or a family member I'll tell them after...not straight away. If it's a someone I'm no close with...I don't really do it since I don't know them like that so it's more rude to me.

Not even if you're really allergic to it? Wouldn't you say something then? Not even if they, year after year, continue to give you that thing?
    Don't you think you would "snap" eventually?

----
    But generally speaking, if it's a gift that you don't want - then you'll ask for a receipt afterwards (if you're close to that person)?

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

how 2 u sociul plz? Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin has a reputation beyond repute Ranshiin's Avatar
    Gil
    Brooding
    Gifts Ice Cream Ice Cream Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-22-2017 11:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A lot of times I've been a little disappointed with the presents I've gotten - such as one year I got a shirt, which was nice and all, but it was unfortunately far too small for me to wear.

Of course, nobody is perfect; I'm not going to say I don't want the presents, because that would be rude. But these days all I get is clothes and Toblerone, so most people tend to ask me beforehand if the clothes are acceptable. I know it means it's not much of a 'surprise' but in this day and age and especially at my age I'm not going to complain about that.

My sister did surprise me with some shirts that she probably asked mum if they'd fit me, but they did make my Christmas since I didn't expect them and that one of them just says "meh." on it made me laugh.

Then again, at my age the whole sparkle behind Christmas has kinda faded. As annoying and/or hipster as I may sound, by the time you hit 21 Christmas isn't really that big a deal for you anymore. Usually because you're too old to be given lavish gifts and even if your parents wanted to you'd probably already bought them with your own money O_o;
    : The Game. You just lost it. :

My signature was so old it broke. RIP signature.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Not even if you're really allergic to it? Wouldn't you say something then? Not even if they, year after year, continue to give you that thing?
    Don't you think you would "snap" eventually?

----
    But generally speaking, if it's a gift that you don't want - then you'll ask for a receipt afterwards (if you're close to that person)?
    I would be like "This dude is freaking stupid after all these times that I told him" (But people forget, we aren't perfect) in my mind but "snap"? You do realize they don't have to give you crap, right? "Snapping" ...insulting them and getting all over their face is straight rude. I'll be honest and tell you that barely happened to me.

Only in situations like a shirt that doesn't fit me or it's not my style or I already own it (Like Video games and such), especially for the latter...It doesn't make sense to get something you already own.
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 12-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I would be like "This dude is freaking stupid after all these times that I told him" (But people forget, we aren't perfect) in my mind but "snap"? You do realize they don't have to give you crap, right? "Snapping" ...insulting them and getting all over their face is straight rude. I'll be honest and tell you that barely happened to me.

Only in situations like a shirt that doesn't fit me or it's not my style or I already own it (Like Video games and such), especially for the latter...It doesn't make sense to get something you already own.
    And still people get things people already know they have.

It's just that I read a comment from someone on another website saying that she always gets a certain thing from a close relative of hers- that she is VERY allergic to (now we are talking almost need-to-go-to-the-hospital-allergic, and she have told that relative about it many times [every year]). Reading that made me think.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

And still people get things people already know they have.

It's just that I read a comment from someone on another website saying that she always gets a certain thing from a close relative of hers- that she is VERY allergic to (now we are talking almost need-to-go-to-the-hospital-allergic, and she have told that relative about it many times [every year]). Reading that made me think.
    it's simple, just don't use it....You don't have to "snap" and get all over their face.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Is it normal to be disappointed when you don't get what you expected? Yes. Such is the nature of unfulfilled expectations.

Should you show your disappointment? No. You are not entitled to gifts. Nobody has to give you anything, so you should be grateful when you do get a gift.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

16. Thanks Derrick Remon thanked for this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

it's simple, just don't use it....You don't have to "snap" and get all over their face.
    Im still not sure what I think about all this, since I really havn't though about this before.

In the situation that the woman I mentioned before was in I think that something needs to be done/said, but still im not sure on what that something should be yet... How do you handle people that just doesn't get in the "message" into their heads? Comments and normal sit-down-to-talk:talk havn't worked so maybe "snapping" is actually the best option in any similar situation like that? Since the people who gives the gift has this far refused to listen / taken any bigger notice about what she have said (since they still continue to give that gift to her), then perhaps "snapping" would be the actual thing that finally open their eyes? Like a "eye-opener"?

People that doesn't take much consideration to, for example, other peoples allergies, is not something that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    . Nobody has to give you anything, so you should be grateful when you do get a gift.
    No matter what that thing is?
    Last edited by SuXrys; 12-26-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@SuXrys

Like Eris and I said already; people don't have to give you crap at all. Getting gifts is a privileged, not something you're entitled to.

Just don't use it or sell it...which that's bad in a way, it's a lot better and less rude than screaming at the person's face telling him/her how dense she/he is.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No matter what that thing is?
    As long as it is better than not getting anything, yes. If it's worse than not getting anything (say I key your car as a present), then you can be rightfully upset.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

@SuXrys

Like Eris and I said already; people don't have to give you crap at all. Getting gifts is a privileged, not something you're entitled to.

Just don't use it or sell it...which that's bad in a way, it's a lot better and less rude than screaming at the person's face telling him/her how dense she/he is.

Again, this was something she could need to go to the hospital for, even if it's still in the same room as her. So it's a serious allergy.
    You can get a hard time breathing, and perhaps needs to go acute to the hospital. I think it's hard to be grateful for a gift like that.

Now it sounds like someone being well-mannered is far more important then someones healt. I just can't agree on that one.

I don't know what I should've done... It's hard to know since Im not even that allergic to anything. A part of me feels like it's totally alright to tell them one thing or another - since it's her health and possible her life we are talking about, but the other part of me feels that it's just so foreign for me to actually "snap" at someone like that when getting a present... It feels really rude, I admit that but in the end.. I think (if it where me) that after a certain number of times getting that presents, and after a number of times saying that I can't tolerate it exc (but said in a nice way) I think I actually would snap eventually. But now Im just imagining in my head how it would be to be that allergic to something - I have no idea at all. I can only imagine and belive, and hope, that someone will and should put their health/life infront of being nice and well-mannered.

------------------
    No one in here who is really allergic? Or knows someone who is that? What would you have done?

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Again, this was something she could need to go to the hospital for, even if it's still in the same room as her. So it's a serious allergy.
    You can get a hard time breathing, and perhaps needs to go acute to the hospital. I think it's hard to be grateful for a gift like that.

Now it sounds like someone being well-mannered is far more important then someones healt. I just can't agree on that one.

I don't know what I should've done... It's hard to know since Im not even that allergic to anything. A part of me feels like it's totally alright to tell them one thing or another - since it's her health and possible her life we are talking about, but the other part of me feels that it's just so foreign for me to actually "snap" at someone like that when getting a present... It feels really rude, I admit that but in the end.. I think (if it where me) that after a certain number of times getting that presents, and after a number of times saying that I can't tolerate it exc (but said in a nice way) I think I actually would snap eventually. But now Im just imagining in my head how it would be to be that allergic to something - I have no idea at all. I can only imagine and belive, and hope, that someone will and should put their health/life infront of being nice and well-mannered.

------------------
    No one in here who is really allergic? Or knows someone who is that? What would you have done?
    Just don't use it or get near it. o_o;;

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Just don't use it or get near it. o_o;;
    I think it's hard to do if someone comes and gives you the presents, like walks to you and then litteraly places the gift in your hands.
    Or, if someone has wrapped it into alot of paper and then you notice it while opening the gift. o_o

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think it's hard to do if someone comes and gives you the presents, like walks to you and then litteraly places the gift in your hands.
    Or, if someone has wrapped it into alot of paper and then you notice it while opening the gift. o_o
    You're putting way too much thought into something so trivial, dear.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You're putting way too much thought into something so trivial, dear.
    But im into this subject right now. >_>

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But im into this subject right now. >_>
    I just don't know how to reply to "What if they put it on your hands".

All these possibilities for something that doesn't require way too much thought.

Gil
    Mentioned
    1401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I just don't know how to reply to "What if they put it on your hands".

All these possibilities for something that doesn't require way too much thought.
    What do you mean?

Waiting for
    Christmas
    Season four of Sherlock
    The new Hobbit movie

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What do you mean?
    It's because all the possibilities you're naming are one to a million. (Like what if they put it in your hands or rub it to your face) Trivial things that you shouldn't make balls about.

Closed Thread

Thread Information