AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Naming my baby Nagisa?

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Naming my baby Nagisa?

It's a name though. The purpose is to allow people to address each other. It isn't meant to tell people what ethnicity you are. The only reason that has been the case is because names were developed in separate cultures. It's okay for people to date regardless of their ethnicity. Shouldn't it be okay for people to be given a name regardless of their ethnicity?

2. Likes Gauntlgrym liked this post
    Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I get your point. I honestly do but let me ask the hardcore otakus: ask yourself this, you want to give your child a Japanese name because you ONLY love that character's name and someone in that particular anime? Maybe without anime, you wouldn't think much of a Japanese name right?

I COULD give my child a Chinese name but I won't. I'm no die hard I love Chinese culture so much my kid has to have a Chinese name. I just think it's stupid.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well I had two points. One is that names shouldn't be restricted just because of ethnicity, and two is that people don't put that much through into names anyway.

The only real consideration about names, is to make sure they aren't too hard to pronounce (e.g. Shfowldriezns) or too charged (e.g. Hitler).

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Sure it'd be slightly more acceptable if you knew the culture rather than picking it because of some cartoon you watched without much care for the actual culture which is entirely different than what anime projects and people do not ge this. Why would you choose a name of a language you cant speak or have no ties to?

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

6. Thanks Meenah thanked for this post
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    Why would you choose a name of a language you cant speak or have no ties to?
    The OP said it's because she likes the character who also has the name, which is on the same level of "Sarah from 'The Young and the Breastless' is such a strong independent character!" ...and most people have no problem with that.

Senior Member sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne has a reputation beyond repute sakuraAnne's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Taurus Cake Kawaii Ice Cream Cone
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2012 10:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wow...
    Thats cute name...

Senior Member Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope has a reputation beyond repute Cantelope's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-19-2017 04:54 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    The OP said it's because she likes the character who also has the name, which is on the same level of "Sarah from 'The Young and the Breastless' is such a strong independent character!" ...and most people have no problem with that.
    The difference is that, for some mysterious reason, society (in America) frown on using cartoons as a basis for serious things, like a person's name. Honestly though, like I originally stated, I really do believe the only negative response to the name would come from people who are aware of and despise things characterized as 'weaboo', and I'd guess that set of people is a vast minority compared to the total population.

Ultimately yes, it is the parents' decision to make freely as they wish (and it's not like name changing is out of the question if the child grows up unhappy with it), but I think the general consensus is that it's best to choose a name that you, as a guardian, love and that won't cause them any grief in life.

Whether or not naming your white kid Nagisa or your Japanese kid DeShontel will inconvenience anyone (including the child in question) however, is another debate for which supporting evidence is probably hard to get.

Anyways @lizzy_55 , look; If you ever feel like you made a bad choice, there's a reason why there's a legal name changing process.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

I find it surprising that in a place where you can have almost any kind of name, you're pressed to find out if something like Nagisa is acceptable.

There're all sorts of people named Nagisa, not just a Key chara. It's not too unique for people to know what you're naming her from unlike those who name their kid Goku or something.

...so that you know where you can find me

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Sure it'd be slightly more acceptable if you knew the culture rather than picking it because of some cartoon you watched without much care for the actual culture which is entirely different than what anime projects and people do not get this. Why would you choose a name of a language you cant speak or have no ties to?

I love anime as much as the next guy and respect it's culture and all of that jazz but I haven't seen and experienced it firsthand I'm not of japanese decent nor have I lived in japan for so long that it doesn't matter. My knowledge is limited so I'm not going to go out of my way to stamp my kids fate based on anime.

But one of the strongest things is.. The OP is picking the name SOLEY because of an anime they saw. It's pretty weaboo'ish.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby has a reputation beyond repute Screwby's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Orange Dango Bioshock Eve Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-06-2012 05:34 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou+ View Post
    But I know a white guy named Pedro and he has no Hispanic in it
    Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    It's as bad as naming a white child pedro or bonquisha-chanelle or something.
    It is not unusual for a white guy to be called Pedro. The name is popular in Brazil where half the population is white and in Portugal. I'm also a Pedro, though my skin is Pardo, but many other Pedros that I have met are white.
    Though I can see why the name Pedro is associated with pardo people in the US of A due to Mexico.

Don't let the country of origin worry you @lizzy_55 , most people have names that don't even have the same nationality as them.
    Senjougahara Fascination

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

It would be strange. Especially in the culture you live in. But I guess, why not? Though you should really think about it since the child will bear that name for the rest of her life unless she legally changes it.

Good thing in my country our first names can be composed of two or more names. XD
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Closed Thread

Thread Information