AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battle of the Month September Phase 1 Results

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Gifts Telescope Baka Be Mine
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 10:13 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Battle of the Month September Phase 1 Results

Thank you so much to our wonderful judges~ Also, instead of combining the judging into one paragraph, I'll be showing the opinions of both judges. This will be interesting, considering one is more supportive and one is more...harsh. There was a third judge in case of ties.

Battle 1: Daken vs. Aiacos

Daken:
    1). In this entry we see both a clever interpretation of the theme and a refreshing minimalist style. He kept up with his interpretation by choosing the obviously "gangster" stock that not only fits well but is a breath of fresh air in comparison to the usual choices. Overall, the greyscale color makes the theme colors in question pop more. The sig is generally lacking in flow and depth, and is kinda plain and has some odd parts, however, but is otherwise well designed.

2). This entry seems very bland, seeing your old RGB and CMYK entries you don't seem to have done anything different really and haven't taken the theme into account for all it's possibilities. The background and image aren't blended much if at all, the spatter brush behind your focal is completely out of place and the text seems randomly slapped on. The soft red, green and blue brushes are extremely out of place such as the outline of the focal coloured in the same colours.

Aiacos:
    1).This is a good sig by conventional means. It presents both depth through use of c4ds and a sense of chaos from the sporadic placement that aids the action presented with the stock used. The colors are more subdued but still present red, green, and blue. The starry texture laid overhead almost obliterates the depth, however, gives everything the same fuzzy feel, and adds nothing to the flow of the piece. The text is a simple serif font that is added by placement and various sizes but otherwise adds nothing to the piece.

2). Now this tag fits the theme extremely loosely which is a bit cheap. This tag is again very bland, looks like very simple technically too, Stock Image > C4D > Focal > C4D > Random White Light> Text > Star map, nothing really imitative about this piece visually or technically. The text is very badly placed and the font used for the AG.net text just isn't right at all. The blending is weak, as the background or C4D(s) don't suit this focal at all.

This was a tough one. One judge voted for Daken, and another Aiacos. The overall victory goes to Aiacos, for good use for C4Ds and better typography.

Battle 2: Loki vs. Blueangel

Loki:
    1). This sig is the only one to literally and metaphorically think out of the box. The use of an "old school" anime is both evocative and endearing, plus the ability to show good composition within a smaller canvas space while still using that small space to the fullest advantage is impressive to say the least. The piece is lacking in lighting and depth, and is simple but the use of brushes and motion is not lost. Again, this is doubly impressive because the creator had so much less room to work with. All in all, I think it's ingenious and perfectly fits the theme.

2). This has to be the most imaginative piece entered in this contest without a doubt, that being said the execution could have been a lot better. To that point the way the images re placed in their respective letters and blending is very basic whats looks like smudging. However the placement of the AG.Net is again very creative and the text is indeed very well placed. Overall there's not much else too it so not much to be said.

Blueangel:
    1). The presence of three separate characters, all in the theme colors, is absolutely brilliant. That is, however, one of the only remarkable things about the sig. A simple dot background is just that: simple. It appears to have very little workmanship behind it. The only show of depth in the sig is in the text, which stands out thanks to simple drop shadows. The use of clipping masks in the text is, however, a very nice touch, especially considering the corresponding colors.

2). Lets start with the huge glaring mistake you get hit with straight away, top left corner the boarder has not been aligned properly and you should have checked for silly little mistakes like that straight away. Your focal(s) seem to be washed out when drenched in their respective colors and the way you have blended the 3 colors together is not very appealing. Now for the text, the RGB text with the clipping mask's seems very creative and well placed together, but it doesn't really fit in with the tag and the AG.Net text is lazily slapped in a corner.

This was a tough one for both judges. They both felt that both pieces had creativity, although the win goes to Loki for better use of theme and creativity.

Battle 3: Ellipsis vs. Seung-li

Ellipsis:
    1). This is the only sig in the entire competition that has a strong and realistic light source. Although this is a relatively simple sig (just a gradient background, some brushes, and some pentooling) the devil is in the details. Larger, fainter brushes mixed in with smaller, more solid ones trick the eye into seeing depth that otherwise wouldn't be there. My biggest complaint is that thanks to the stroke over the stock's breast, the sig looks like it says "RGD" instead of "B". That, and when it comes down to it, it's really a very simple sig.

2). This tag seems very well put together, however there are some apparent flaw's such as the secondary RGB text that's slanted south east, it doesn't fit in at all, You could have had the main RGB Text placed in front of your focal and kept the AG.net text as is, this would have fixed the problem of having had the secondary text and given that tag some more depth that it seems to be lacking. It could have been a good idea to have had an outer glow on each of throwing knifes in red , green and blue. Now like most other piece this fits the theme very very loosely.

Seung-li:
    1). It's just plain messy. The background is random splotches. The foreground is random vector brushes and a skyline that doesn't make sense. The girl and the lighting bolt throw off the flow entirely by having their own flow that is completely separate from the rest. The black vector circles are stark and contrasting compared to the pastel shades and grayscale of everything else. The text is fine, though, the boxes are cool. Had she kept the geometric theme throughout, it would have been much better.

2). yest again another tag that has the problem of fitting the theme so very loosely, that being said, the blending in this tag seems to be top notch apart from the "skyscraper/building" brush on the right side which seems to stick out like a sore thumb, as for the background it is very pretty and fits in with the urban feel of this tag. The lightning bolts on either side of the focal are well placed and add depth to the tag. The text is well [placed in regards to that brushwork, however the outer glow(s) seem very out of place for this kind of tag.

Another tie. One judge felt that Ellipsis' sig could've done better with the text, and another felt that Seung's sig was just too messy. The third judge felt that Seung had better use with the brushes, though, and thus this round goes to Seung-li.

Battle 4: Avi-Chan vs. King Tatty

Avi-chan:
    1). The border on this is completely ridiculous. I know she was going for creativity, but it's a hot mess. the rest of the sig, however, is exquisite. She chose the absolute most fitting stock out of every sig in this whole thing, and she paired it with brushes that both fit and had a sense of cohesion and whimsy at the same time. Somehow, those violent colors work together. It even has a kind of glossy feel to it that just makes it look splendid. The text is fine except for the pixely stroke around the letters.

2). There's very little blending on this one. The blue parts just seemed to be put in there for the fact that you needed something blue and it doesnt really help the quality of the sig as a whole. What are the hearts for? The lighting source seems to be in an odd spot, and the upper right and left background seem bare. But with all that said, this sig caught my attention. The border's creative, and it actually screams out RGB to me. The cartoonish font goes well with the feel of the sig, although it could've been blended a bit better. The dots behind the girl also add a cool effect.

Tatty:
    1). Original, clever, and none of the other ones look anything like it. A problem with it is it's just really plain. I can break it down into three pieces: splatter outlines, pen tool, computer. Nothing else. It doesn't leave a lasting impression, though the text fits the theme just fine.

2). It's definitely...original. Why the lines? They don't seem to help much. Background is way too bare. The computer seems to just be randomly put in there. The dots above the computer just seem to be there to add more red, green, and blue. AG.net is barely legible, and the only reason I can read it is because I know what it's supposed to be. The only thing that works for me in this sig is the text "RGB."

This one goes to Avi-chan. The judges felt that although tatty's was original and made good use of the theme, it was just too simple and just didn't stand out.

Odd one out due to only having 9 entries: Aleyna

Below is a list of those going on to the next round :3

Participant list: (5/16)
    @Aiacos
    @Loki
    @Seung-li
    @Avi-chan
    @Aleyna

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

2. Likes Zenister liked this post
    Senior Member Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken. has a reputation beyond repute Daken.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts 311 - Plusle 133 - Eevee Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-31-2014 03:25 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Battle of the Month September Phase 1 Results

Wow, I liked all the entrys. Good luck everyone who passed. =D

4. Likes Archaic Devices liked this post
    Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hey, could I get some criticism for my work? I purposely made my signature grainy, but it'd be nice to get some cnc about the typography, cause I think I screwed up on it in my signature, and I'd like to improve to becoming better at it.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Now this tag fits the theme extremely loosely which is a bit cheap. This tag is again very bland, looks like very simple technically too, Stock Image > C4D > Focal > C4D > Random White Light> Text > Star map, nothing really imitative about this piece visually or technically. The text is very badly placed and the font used for the AG.net text just isn't right at all. The blending is weak, as the background or C4D(s) don't suit this focal at all.
    I found this offensive. All you did was point everything you thought was bad and basically trashed my sig. How can you tell what I did? You don't have the PSD, I did far more than that. What fun is this battle if the judges just do this? I'm sorry but that really annoyed me.
    Last edited by Acnologia; 09-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Saved Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices has a reputation beyond repute Archaic Devices's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Aleyna View Post
    Hey, could I get some criticism for my work? I purposely made my signature grainy, but it'd be nice to get some cnc about the typography, cause I think I screwed up on it in my signature, and I'd like to improve to becoming better at it.
    Sure.

It doesn't seem like much is done with the sig. Have you considered using C4Ds or outside things to enhance your sig? Also, the font doesn't work very well with the mood of the sig. You did a great job with blending it, but a different font was needed. Also, try and put your words together, instead of having rgb in one corner and AG.net in another.

Sig by Feferi <3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

s.c.i.n.t.i.l.l.a.t.e Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister has a reputation beyond repute Zenister's Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts EVE Pokedex Rainbow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 12:31 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

It certainly is true that one of the judges is waaaaaaay more polite than the other. XD

Congrats, everyone!
    love is a matter of chemistry, but sex is a matter of physics

Senior Member Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna has a reputation beyond repute Aleyna's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Flowers Fan2 R2 Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2015 06:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Sure.

It doesn't seem like much is done with the sig. Have you considered using C4Ds or outside things to enhance your sig? Also, the font doesn't work very well with the mood of the sig. You did a great job with blending it, but a different font was needed. Also, try and put your words together, instead of having rgb in one corner and AG.net in another.
    You're right. I have it's just I'm not the greatest at looking up those resources >_<, but I have been exploring lately and plan to use more stock sometime in signatures. Yea, the font just doesn't work. Funny, after I made that signature, I downloaded a bunch fonts, because I didn't have that many to use. Yea the words should be together and right by the main focal point, cause there should only be one focal point. Thanks for the criticism.

From SkullMuffins on deviantart

Instagram|Tumblr

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

I feel offended.... Just because a clipping mask of the text RGB is "thinking outside of the box?" That's the most easiest trick in the book and only takes 3 seconds for each letter combined.. There is nothing there but grainy smudges and a clipping mask. You have GOT to be kidding. :| that small border misalignment yeah. But over-all my entry looked much more appealing.

Oh and by the way. You have a green streak in the "red" you should really check for simple errors.
    Last edited by blueangel06661; 09-11-2011 at 07:43 PM.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Aleyna View Post
    You're right. I have it's just I'm not the greatest at looking up those resources >_<, but I have been exploring lately and plan to use more stock sometime in signatures. Yea, the font just doesn't work. Funny, after I made that signature, I downloaded a bunch fonts, because I didn't have that many to use. Yea the words should be together and right by the main focal point, cause there should only be one focal point. Thanks for the criticism.
    You're on the right track! The best thing you can do is explore. And it's especially good that you downloaded different fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by blueangel06661 View Post
    I feel offended.... Just because a clipping mask of the text RGB is "thinking outside of the box?" That's the most easiest trick in the book and only takes 3 seconds for each letter combined.. There is nothing there but grainy smudges and a clipping mask. You have GOT to be kidding. :| that small border misalignment yeah. But over-all my entry looked much more appealing.

Oh and by the way. You have a green streak in the "red" you should really check for simple errors.
    Yeah, I noticed that and tried to get rid of it but it wouldn't go away o_O

Sig by Feferi <3

-Mark Twain

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yeah, I noticed that and tried to get rid of it but it wouldn't go away o_O
    That problem reminds me of a problem I used to run into during my AMV days. You'd sometimes get a green bar. It was a corrupted file or coding issue. I'm not sure what it means if it's on a picture though :|

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

perhaps brush over it? Though when I look at it in PS the green looks like part of a drop shadow/outer glow

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

The skyscrapers was actually a render I used. Now that I really took a look of it, I think it malfunctioned a bit. idk haha I'm content with my comments and I feel like they're fair for me to see what I've done wrong. I can't stand comments that is more for what they don't like only, I want to hear out what I should of done for improvement (perhaps this will be a small tip for anyone to judge my work and whatnot). But I can take critisim very easily though and I also hope it doesn't show I'm some hypocrite or look like I'm contradicting my words, I'm avoiding that. >_<

Everyone did a great job, everyone is talented, creative and winners to me. <3 I mean it all in the bottom of my heart. Hehehe~

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information