AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you prefer to read with?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardcover

19 51.35%
  • Paperback

11 29.73%
  • Kindle / Tablet

2 5.41%
  • Internet

5 13.51%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are books finally outdated?

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Default Re: Are books finally outdated?

@Man hattab_Project_2000 Yes, just an example of alternatives. Perhaps a bad one. And I see no reason both couldn't be used. I merely brought up hard copies of information should something happen to the electronic version. That way the knowledge isn't lost. As for space, there's millions upon millions of books now. The only issue is if you keep them in one place. And while you do have a point about nodes, at the same time should something happen to the physical version it could simply be re-transcribed.

Cute Member Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~ has a reputation beyond repute Uta-chan~'s Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts Heart Camera Dslr Venus Crystal Henshin Pen
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2012 04:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I guess I prefer to read with hardcover books. I read a lot of manga online but I definitely prefer it if I have it in book form. Plus you don't get all those annoying ads.

When I was in HS, I found that hardly anyone read books and now I don't really read a lot anymore unless it's uni textbooks. I think the invention of eBooks and stuff are just ways to persuade the youth to read more seeing as we love our hi-tech gadgets. I wouldn't mind reading with one from though, lol. I can't remember the last time I read a hardcover/paperback novel... maybe 2009? v__v; Also, don't judge me but I had to google what paperback books were. :P I assumed right.
    Set by me.

☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆
    |Sigma★|
    |Kaitou$|Daken :'D|Neuko's Pokemon Trainer|
    |AF onii-chan: Jump_for_Luck||dark_butterfly's mommy|
    |Elphaba's Penguin|Proud daughter of Aleyna and Anuket|
    ~ ♥ ~

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

You should all go to a library more.
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    @Man hattab_Project_2000 Yes, just an example of alternatives. Perhaps a bad one. And I see no reason both couldn't be used. I merely brought up hard copies of information should something happen to the electronic version. That way the knowledge isn't lost. As for space, there's millions upon millions of books now. The only issue is if you keep them in one place. And while you do have a point about nodes, at the same time should something happen to the physical version it could simply be re-transcribed.
    Keeping millions of books in thousands of different places compounds the problem of storage, due to redundancy. You don't want to fly to DC and visit the Library of Congress to read Where the Red Fern Grows. You could have one website on the internet that can service the entire world with back-up servers sequestered around the world and you'd save a lot of valuable real estate. Especially since you can always put back-up servers in places like old mines where they can be protected from things like solar flares. Books can be used for storage, but they aren't a practical long-term solution.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru has a reputation beyond repute Penshiru's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Pocky
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-13-2013 11:20 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Spp67

For me personally I like reading a paperback book more then a e-reader or Kindle. But I recently got a Kindle and it took me a little to get used to reading it in that kind of form. Though I do like Kindles and e-readers is the fact you can have more then one book at all times really, also being a college student getting some textbooks for free online and in your kindle can save your life instead of getting them for over priced money.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Keeping millions of books in thousands of different places compounds the problem of storage, due to redundancy. You don't want to fly to DC and visit the Library of Congress to read Where the Red Fern Grows. You could have one website on the internet that can service the entire world with back-up servers sequestered around the world and you'd save a lot of valuable real estate. Especially since you can always put back-up servers in places like old mines where they can be protected from things like solar flares. Books can be used for storage, but they aren't a practical long-term solution.
    I'm not talking about story books, just what's needed to progress society. Math, history, language, etc. Literature isn't needed. And like I said, technology fails over time. There's a chance 300 years from now such servers would be neglected and fall to ruin. And as for practical long term, I don't see why not. If you just go the necessary route, you'd have very few books that need storage.

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Outdated... almost.

I prefer paperbacks since they're cheaper. And I find hardbounds heavy.

But I read manga online since they don't sell much mangas here. If they did it'd either be expensive or I don't like the titles.
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Hardcover or paperback is fine with me. And honestly, I prefer reading things in books than the Internet. By reading, I mean for leisure not for projects unless I have to find some in books, I use the Internet to do projects, research, etc. Both works fine for me, but when it comes to reading I prefer books. My eyes hurts starring at the screen at a long period of time.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I like Hard Copies.

I only get digital if I have to.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Kindles are awesome, because I don't have to carry a bunch of books in my bag at once, HOWEVER, even with Kindles' highlighting and note-taking abilities, I will always prefer highlighting and note-taking in the margins with a pen.

[So paperback FTW, even though I have Kindle for my PC]

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    I'm not talking about story books, just what's needed to progress society. Math, history, language, etc. Literature isn't needed. And like I said, technology fails over time. There's a chance 300 years from now such servers would be neglected and fall to ruin. And as for practical long term, I don't see why not. If you just go the necessary route, you'd have very few books that need storage.
    Well, if you aren't talking about literature, there's little chance of people forgetting anything practical. Like, almost none, unless you want to conciser the possibility of total nuclear war/Planet of the Apes level catastrophes, and then the answer is to just build a learning annex on the side of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Well, if you aren't talking about literature, there's little chance of people forgetting anything practical. Like, almost none, unless you want to conciser the possibility of total nuclear war/Planet of the Apes level catastrophes, and then the answer is to just build a learning annex on the side of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault.
    You never know what could happen. EMP nukes could be used some day and take out most if not all of the net. And all data could be lost. Just like it was with the Library of Alexandria. Hard copies wouldn't be effected by EMPs.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

Aggressively stupid Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Kawaiislice Alice Pocket Watch
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2024 04:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Srk View Post
    I've recently seen tablet PCs and Kindles everywhere. It's almost like I'm the only one who routinely carries at least one hardcover around with me. What do you prefer to read with?
    Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: No, with a but.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Books have a fairly short half life of a hundred or so years, assuming books not built of cheap fiber like most paperbacks and you don't go to heroic lengths to preserve them. The internet hypothetically has an infinite lifespan, assuming there are always people around to service/replace the machines that it runs on and someone always cares enough to mirror the books.
    Electronic files are always more lasting, assuming they're backed up to account for hardware failures, but distribution and consumption or study of the texts can be made into a real pain if non-standard formats are used, like many commercial e-books use for new releases. (The same can be said of file formats which work with obsolete, unavailable software suites.) The problem comes from their (in)compatibility with select pieces of hardware and software.

In the long run electronic files are nicer for texts' survival, but given the choice between limited reader compatibility and a physical copy for my own use, I'd still take the hardcopy. With a standard or ubiquitous file format, though- PDF, HTML plain-text, etc.- I have no problems with e-books, and in fact prefer them that way.

I will say that it's easier for me to work from a hardcopy for a class, though.

...(then remember that 500gb≈465 real gb)...
    Ah, yes, MB versus MiB and whatnot. Had to take a laughable prerequisite course, "CSCI-101," in which the textbook claimed the noted difference was entirely due to bad sectors on a new hard drive. I read that caption a few times over, I'll tell you.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 08-20-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: That "class" must have been 80%-plus a How-To for MS Office. I have no idea why it was required.

Gimme Anime or Junkfood! x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x is a splendid one to behold x.X_Gone_X.x's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2011 08:07 PM
    Threads

I'd rather a real book in my hands anyday! That way its always there unlike a kindle which could fail I dunno *shrugs*

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

One thing I've learned is that you haven't read a book unless you've marked it with your own hand using a pen or pencil and post-it-notes, at least for the purposes of serious reading. Reading stories for your own entertainment is another matter, but if you're going to do some critical reading I think there will always be a need to have a hard copy at hand.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Physical books are still the most reliable long-term storage for information. Data formats change frequently and corrupts alarmingly fast (i.e. bitrot, typically within a few years sitting on a storage drive). Digital storage won't become futureproof until it can address the speed at which data deteriorates. For a personal anecdote, twice in the last two years I've had to rely on paper copies of information when digital storage failed. The only valid argument currently in favor of digital storage is capability for duplication and decentralization, but modern technology is mitigating that as well with current text scanning devices that would make it exceptionally easy to convert a book from 'long-term storage' to something more accessible.

Bad Memory

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd say yes to books being outdated, BUT I feel there will be a decent sized market for them for quite some time. Some people prefer physical copies of texts (more durable then mere printouts) and others like the experience of reading a book for any number of reasons (a friend of mine has very poor vision and likes large text books significantly bigger then your average digital reading device, yeah, you can zoom on them, but constantly having to zoom on each section irritates him).

I read the vast majority of my eBooks and comics on my smart phone these days (unless only available in print form) as they take up less space, are always on me and I generally buy aftermarket extended life batteries these days so I can easily use the device as much as I want. Other people have other preferences though, and if books were to fade from relevance completely, a lot of people would be out of a job which has multiple negative consequences.
    victoria aut mors

The Pyro Princess CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone has a reputation beyond repute CharlieIsSimplyGone's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2011 12:01 PM
    Threads

Give me a good solid hard covered book over a Kindle or whatever anyday!!!! Plus I' not very good with tech stuff!!

Senior Member SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting has a reputation beyond repute SwiftKill GunToting's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Red Ornament L Laptop Chilled Monkey Brains
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2011 02:40 PM
    Threads

I admit books have some competition, but i dont think they'd ever go out of style. too many people enjoy holding a real book in their hands.

I preordered the first book of The Slayer Chronicles, myself.
    "Parents and guardians don't care if they're sending you to face bloodthirsty monsters, so long as you get a B in English." - The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod
    ~~~~I am a most traitorous of pirates, but do not let that discourage you; I tend to fight alongside ninjas~~~~

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 01:50 PM
    Threads

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Not really. Books aren't nearly as convenient as digital book readers.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Junior Member MidiSaya is on a distinguished road MidiSaya's Avatar
    Gil
    Bookworm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2011 06:32 AM
    Threads

I don't think books will ever really be outdated. There are just too many reasons to love them. You can read for however long you want, and pause when you want - not because of power outages or your ipad dying on you. And there's just some comfort in holding a book, y'know? The smell and feel of the pages- also a great way to use up cupboard space. Books'll always be a winner for me.

Also, a lot easier on the eyes, yikes. My eyes burn after reading stuff on the net for a few hours, with a book? Only my legs burn. From falling asleep.

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    Physical books are still the most reliable long-term storage for information. Data formats change frequently
    ASCII has been around over half the history of computing. Hell, we can encode it in binary and explain the code on platinum plates if you want, it's not rocket science. I should point out that although computing gains a lot of file formats, it doesn't lose popular ones because reading formats is software and not hardware like a VCR and you can copy and paste code between programs.

and corrupts alarmingly fast (i.e. bitrot, typically within a few years sitting on a storage drive). Digital storage won't become futureproof until it can address the speed at which data deteriorates.
    Easily solvable using multiple back ups and changing them out every so often. Although I speculate that the reason bitrot has never been solved is because there's no market for solving it.

For a personal anecdote, twice in the last two years I've had to rely on paper copies of information when digital storage failed.
    Not really applicable since you weren't using multiple secure back ups. Also, your problems were more likely software related then hardware related.

The only valid argument currently in favor of digital storage is capability for duplication and decentralization, but modern technology is mitigating that as well with current text scanning devices that would make it exceptionally easy to convert a book from 'long-term storage' to something more accessible.
    No matter how easy it is to text scan, book printing is at best an unnecessary complication at worst a waste of time if you want any of the advantages offered by the internet.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 08-23-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information