AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dishonored Preview Thread

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dishonored Preview Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMushroom View Post
    Not very excited for this. I enjoy System Shock 3 Bioshock and Deus Ex and Thief and Assassin's Creed, and this is liberally cribbing notes from those games, but it doesn't seem to have its own identity. It's spreading itself too thin. There are some cool powers, but it sounds like I'm using them to do the same things I've done in other games.

For a counter-example, look at Portal. Valve could have taken the Portal mechanic and thrown it into any old first-person shooter. Instead, they made portals the star. Everything in the game revolves around using the portals. They're not just a means to an end, they're the crux of the gameplay. As a result, it felt really fresh and exciting.

By contrast, Dishonored's Possession and Blink are cool powers, but they're just a means to a familiar end, which is sneaking around and killing dudes (or not, if that's your fancy). And since catering to stealthy and confrontational play styles is part of the core design, I don't expect to see any power implemented with the ingenuity or creativity of Portal.

Level design is going to make or break this game, I think. I like the example of locking the target in the steam room and sneaking to the pipes to turn up the heat. If the game throws in enough variety and flexibility like that, I might give it a whirl.
    I know wherre you're coming from but nowadays a lot of games are copying elements from other good games and they are still successful.

Senior Member BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2013 05:02 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ask me for it Steam ID: askmeforit

I'm sure it'll be critically and commercially successful. I'm sure if I was forced to play it, I'd play it to completion, admire its craft, enjoy parts of it. But I'm a bit tired of games that I simply admire or enjoy. I want games that try something really new and memorable to enamor the player, and Dishonored feels too safe to do that. It's very familiar, and most games today feel that way.

Four years ago, I probably would've loved it, but now my tastes are a bit too picky.
    Get some exercise this summer and raise money to fight disease. Find a free charity walk in your area:
    AIDS Walk | Walk to Defeat ALS | Walk MS | Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    Light The Night for Leukemia & Lymphona | Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

Eric: You should change the title to just Dishonored.

TotalBiscuit review:
    No MAIN story spoilers, but he might show side quests.

If you want to watch a lets play of it, Hannah from the Yogscast has/have gotten it early too:
    BUT since it's a lets play, she plays the main story of course.

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogscast2

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

@Des There's an issue for that. Eric would have had to have been on in the last year.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The way Eric made thread always puzzled me...why make a "preview" thread and then a "discussion" thread...pretty sure one thread would be sufficient.

But anyways, I got this game but I can't play it yet.

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

YOOOO This game da besto....DA BESTO

Aggressively stupid Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Kawaiislice Alice Pocket Watch
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2024 04:50 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I like Dishonored so far but I found a few things disturbing.

1: You can't have general and/or dialog subtitles. Whoops. I found it under audio. (wtf though, audio?!)
    2: The annoying black bars when you have a conversation.
    3: The outdated graphics (they can do way better than this. It's probably due to the outdated Unreal engine)
    4: The autosave doesn't seem to work.
    5: When you die you have to start the ENTIRE MISSION over again. That SUCKS.

So far somewhat disappointing, but I'll give it a fair go next week.
    Last edited by Nanobyte; 10-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

So how long is it?

Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's a decent length lol

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Just asking since I heard it's short.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    3: The outdated graphics (they can do way better than this. It's probably due to the outdated Unreal engine)
    The low detail textures is a stylistic choice, rather than an engine limitation. Though in a way it does allow the hilariously outdated hardware on consoles to catch up a bit with modern PC hardware, so I guess it's sort of a way to get around a hardware limitation.

Borderlands 2 has a similar thing going, but they use a filter to make it even more cartoon-y.

At any rate, it doesn't look outdated, as no old games look like this. This game has high polygon count, yet low texture detail (but for the most part decent texture resolution). Old games will skimp a lot harder on poly count than textures.
    Last edited by Eris; 10-12-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

12. Likes GameGeeks liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information