AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Books For Learning Kanji

Blessed With -ugū- Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts K-on Pick Haruhi Sos Dan Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2012 11:06 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dark C08ra

Default Best Books For Learning Kanji

Hiya
    i was wondering if anyone could recomend some books i could order of amazon (uk or .com r both fine) for learning kanji. for once this isnt me, i wont deny my skills as for reading r only slow progressing my friend wishes to join me so we can help each other in studying, so i offered to get him started by getting him some good stuff together. well he is on holiday most summer so he suggested we get some books he can take away and get working with
    anyone recomend any good books for reading/understanding kanji? i assume basics for him lol (although middle rank level aint all bad for me ^^)
    would like to help him and i could check em to
    thanks all (needs to be books as said hes going away and wont have a computer access)

Junior Member alizun is on a distinguished road alizun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2011 05:54 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Best Books For Learning Kanji

I'm not sure what textbooks would be quite good for basics, but make flash cards! You can buy them if you really wanted to but you can just make them on some card or thick paper. Just write the kanji on the one side, and the meaning on the other. Great way to learn and then even if you can't read the book you can still check them over quickly.

Doing it with stuff like Numbers, the time, basic questions like "What is your name" etc is also good.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-09-2013 08:56 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Really, just about any textbook would do. There's no one absolutely good book on learning kanji.

Like, some books incorporate pictures and fun activities and teach at a slowed-down pace, while others just provide the necessary information and try to present as much as possible in the fewest number of pages.

If your friend is fine with just words and information with no pictures, then maybe even kanji flashcards?

Member Chiwassu19 will become famous soon enough Chiwassu19's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts IPhone IPhone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-28-2011 11:13 AM
    Threads

This is the book I'm using but it mostly teaches vocabulary and grammar. It's in hiragana and katakana so it's easy for us foreigners/people who can't read kanji to understand. It is also used at universities (University of Queensland, Australia, to be precise). I was recommended this book by an acquaintance who is living in and is a native japanese. The title is ''Japanese for Busy People Kana Version'' By Ajalt. It has volumes 1-3 or so. They're about 30 USD each ($15-$20 for the book itself, and $10-$15 for the shipment fee). I bought mine at amazon. Could've been cheaper at ebay but I wanted mine brand new xD
    I also suggest you buy a dictionary English - Japanese. They're a bit expensive, but it really helps a lot (in my case, it sure did).
    The way I learned kanji was --> Since the said book has a vocab list for each chapter (not volume, chapter), I just copied the romaji and english translation to another exercise book and then looked up the kanji in a website (http://japanese.reader.bz/) , in my dictionary, and in Microsoft words just to make sure they're right or not (also it's easier to zoom in to 200-300% in case the kanji in the dictionary and website is too small, you know how they look so ''scrunched'' up if they're too small). Since your friend won't have computer access, then the best way would be the dictionary but I can't guarantee he'll be able to see the kanji character perfectly since dictionaries are so small.

Hope that helps. Good luck!! =)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information