AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, I've watched the first 8 episodes

☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 02:50 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default So, I've watched the first 8 episodes

And I'm still fairly indifferent to the show.
    Will it get better later, or, if I'm not hooked up yet, I should simply let it go?

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 07:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: So, I've watched the first 8 episodes

Hold on a bit, the fun just started. Geez, whenever I recommend Evangelion, I warn people from the dull beginning (first ~7 episodes).

Evangelion is a great franchise, but it suffers a bit from bad execution. It has a beginning that generally repels the casual viewer, budget limitations prevented the second half of the series from being as good as it was intended to be, and all of that is crowned with a huge mind screw in the end.

If you aren't hooked after watching half of the series, you probably should drop it as you'll likely hate it from that point.

If you do like it, don't forget to watch the ending movie, The End of Evangelion, after finishing the series for the concrete ending, as the last two episodes are a philosophical ending.

The four remake movies will (hopefully) fix what's wrong with the series.
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 07-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.

3. Thanks nrL thanked for this post
    Likes Volta, Seņor Nobody liked this post
    ☆*:.。. UGUU .。.:*☆ nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL has a reputation beyond repute nrL's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Chibi Crisis Moon Compact 039 - Jigglypuff Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-14-2013 02:50 PM
    Threads

Welll...I decided to watch 9th episode. WTF
    What's a real turn off for me is how casually the characters treat the entire thing. Both the teenagers and adults. I mean.....the fate of the entire world is at stake and Asuka and Shinji treat it like it is some sort of game/competition thing...and adult characters are only like "oh kids". O_O

Senior Member Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu has a reputation beyond repute Masakisu's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2012 07:32 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StarryMasamune PSN ID: BlackEsper

It's all to do with Asuka's deep-rooted superiority complex, which is expanded upon as the series progresses, culminating in episode 22.

As I've said before, Eva's only mediocre to good up until episode 18, when it starts to get amazing, and that amazingness is worth it.

Junior Member vedacode is on a distinguished road vedacode's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2011 12:53 AM
    Threads

In fact ,the begining is a little bit boring but the story will be very exciting latter. Especially at 20EPs later, nothing you could image.

Junior Member trit has a spectacular aura about trit has a spectacular aura about trit's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-28-2011 06:35 PM
    Threads

yeah I almost stopped watching Eva early on but i kept through it and I'm so glad I did.
    the first half at least is stuck wondering whether it wants to be a mecha anime or a character driven anime and suffers from that. I remember really disliking episode 5 and wanting to stop after that. However once it decides what it wants to be and delves into the psychological aspects, well anime doesn't get much better than that.

Junior Member MeAndMyFriends is on a distinguished road MeAndMyFriends's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2011 06:45 PM
    Threads

Remember that these are children, essentially, who are weighted with saving the world. Of course they will turn it into a game. It may even be surreal for them, like a lucid dream. Shinji treats it like a contest to appeal to his father. Asuka treats it like a contest to gain more importance to her mother, in her mind that is. And Rei simply obeys and adores Gendo's affection and attention. Think about our military. Well, any military for that matter. How many of the soldiers hype them selves up to "kill some Nazis, terrorists, etc.."? How many of them like to keep count and tally scores at the end of the day? Often times we find situations like these treated like a game to take the realism out of it. That becomes sullied once you see a mate die, or something horrific like a child killing people and them him/herself. Shinji doesn't want to pilot the Eva, but since he does, he does it for recognition from his father.

The real story behind Shin Seki is the emotional bond we create with ourselves and others. It's a Romantic tale with mecha vs. angel in the back drop. That's why I like Eva, though I haven't seen in in many years. It wasn't just about mechanical brutality, though there is plenty of that, but about man versus himself and man versus man on a psychological scale.

Edit: I liked the beginning of the series as well. So it will be hard-pressed for me to admonish against watching and liking every episode.
    Last edited by MeAndMyFriends; 08-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.

9. Likes pleasant_disorder, Shibito liked this post
    Senior Member Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows has much to be proud of Darkhallows's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-11-2012 01:51 AM
    Threads

Ah, I'm on episode five and was ready to quit... nothing is really happening ._. but I guess I'll stick with it for awhile and hope it gets better.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Also known as Naughty Dog Multigrain is on a distinguished road Multigrain's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2012 12:15 AM
    Threads

The first half is kinda boring. Then Asuka comes in, and things get interesting. Then, the ending destroys your mind.

The movie End of Evangelion destroys the rubble of your mind and takes a leak on it.

Then Rebuild takes those chunks of mind and lovingly fixes it with good ol' concrete and mortar. Until 2.0, at which point they decide to start tearing your mind down again, this time with awesome!

...In fact, every anime adaption of Evangelion has some degree of waiting. The series you need to wait till halfway, the movie only gets good halfway through, and Rebuild only gets good at 2.0 (the first basically being a straight rehash of the series up to Ramiel).

12. Likes greywords liked this post
    Thrust through the heavens with your spirit!! Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta has a reputation beyond repute Volta's Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Flamingo Cake Lie
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2012 05:48 AM
    Threads

If you have the will to keep watching, you will be rewarded.

No but seriously, watch the series, and then watch Rebuild 1.0 and 2.0, and brace yourself for the epicness of 3.0 and FINAL. The ending we've all been waiting for is coming.

Senior Member Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon Eva NERV Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-15-2014 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shibito Steam ID: Shibito

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyFriends View Post
    Remember that these are children, essentially, who are weighted with saving the world. Of course they will turn it into a game. It may even be surreal for them, like a lucid dream. Shinji treats it like a contest to appeal to his father. Asuka treats it like a contest to gain more importance to her mother, in her mind that is. And Rei simply obeys and adores Gendo's affection and attention. Think about our military. Well, any military for that matter. How many of the soldiers hype them selves up to "kill some Nazis, terrorists, etc.."? How many of them like to keep count and tally scores at the end of the day? Often times we find situations like these treated like a game to take the realism out of it. That becomes sullied once you see a mate die, or something horrific like a child killing people and them him/herself. Shinji doesn't want to pilot the Eva, but since he does, he does it for recognition from his father.

The real story behind Shin Seki is the emotional bond we create with ourselves and others. It's a Romantic tale with mecha vs. angel in the back drop. That's why I like Eva, though I haven't seen in in many years. It wasn't just about mechanical brutality, though there is plenty of that, but about man versus himself and man versus man on a psychological scale.

Edit: I liked the beginning of the series as well. So it will be hard-pressed for me to admonish against watching and liking every episode.
    You just Made My day with this. Q.Q brought a tear to my. Another true Understander of the True meaning behind Evangelion <3 ASUKA LANGLEY FTW!!!!! don't see why people hate he so much >.> But if i could learn how to do the spolier thingy I could post why she is the she is.

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Hmm. There is also the Manga which can fill in questions you would like to be answered. I did read a Doujin my friend recomended me. Yes it had ecchi but It shed more Light to Evangelion. After the first book my Mind was Blown. And it was well done to. But stuck to the Evan story but Holy o.o Ima go read it again now -brb-

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 07:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

@Shibito

For the spoiler, try out: [spoiler]Put stuff here[/spoiler]

It would turn into:

Put stuff here
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 03-24-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Senior Member Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito has a reputation beyond repute Shibito's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Rainbow Ribbon Eva NERV Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-15-2014 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shibito Steam ID: Shibito

@Aku no Hikari thank you ^^ Didnt know how that worked hehe ^^

Senior Member pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder has a reputation beyond repute pleasant_disorder's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mario Chain Chomp Tennis Ball Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-16-2012 03:09 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyFriends View Post

:3 Thank you for being so correct. Also. If you keep going with the series, you'll see that it isn't a game to the characters at all. It psychologically messes with them in ways that I will not explain because that would be spoiling it. But I also think it's pretty obvious from the beginning that Shinji doesn't really treat it like a game. He's way too depressed throughout the series.

On the contrary, the characters can be really annoying. Shinji's a character is waaaay over dramatic. I've made the case before that he's only fourteen, so, naturally, he's going to be frightened. Asuka, as mentioned by my esteemed colleague mentioned, Asuka's behavior is a cry for attention, and even though I understand that, I still despise her with a fiery passion. She just annoys me. The only character I'm really down with is Rei, who is, essentially, and emotionless shell for most of the series.

Junior Member NERVagent is on a distinguished road NERVagent's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-25-2012 08:29 PM
    Threads

HAng on, it gets better.

19. Likes pleasant_disorder liked this post
    Member Allan53 is on a distinguished road Allan53's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-22-2014 01:05 AM
    Threads

Yeah, well worth watching. A lot of people don't like it, and their arguments are very valid. But it's one of those classic pieces you should watch, as it's hugely influential and really gives you something to work your brain with. I saw it when I was 17, and I've re-watched it a few times since, and I always see something new when I do. Just keep an open mind and don't approach it like any other mech anime. There's a huge amount of symbolism and analogy, so a simple literal description tends to fail to capture why it's so famous

Senior Member GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark has a reputation beyond repute GuiltySpark's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Piano
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2014 02:28 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tOSUguy2002

How do you think it Shinji treats it like a game? did you not share his torment in episode 3 when he has his classmates in the EVA with him and he is forced to fight the Angel under the pressure of the battery power limit? The intensity of that fight is anything but a game.

Having said that I thought the way the series starts with episode 1 showing the beginning of the Angel's assault and the ominous power of such an indestructible being and the way episode 2 is like a Tarantino film where obviously you know Shinji won somehow since he is alive and the world isnt destroyed but they show you the aftermath then the battle. I thought that was way cool

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information