AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've never been to a Convention. What should i expect? (Got's question's answered.)

Senior Member CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper has a reputation beyond repute CryBabyWearingDiaper's Avatar
    Gil
    HaHa
    Gifts Mario Boo Bleach Urahara Hat Systems N64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-09-2011 03:31 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default I've never been to a Convention. What should i expect? (Got's question's answered.)

I have lived in a small town all my life, until i moved into Washington. I've been a fan of anime, but never has the pleasure of going to a convention, I REALLY want to go to one.

What's the best Convention (all together) and whats the best one to go for a 1st timer. Where they are held at. (Cost's)

Going to a cosplay convention, Would it be really abnormal for someone to go to one not dressing up as someone.

Any other info would be really helpful.

I also would like a list of type's. (if possiable)

Member Kishiko will become famous soon enough Kishiko's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2011 03:08 AM
    Threads

Default Re: I've never been to a Convention. What should i expect? (Got's question's answered

Well, think of a place where all the anime lovers meet. So pretty much you know that all of you have something in common. Sometimes there is like a huge party and you can see other cosplayers dancing, singing, and pretty anything that entertaining. Of course there will be voice actors coming to conventions and so forth. Ummm...you can google more information about it.

The Palmtop Tiger Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash has a reputation beyond repute Rainbow Crash's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts PPG Bubbles Alice Be Mine
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2014 06:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: I've never been to a Convention. What should i expect? (Got's question's answered

http://www.animeforum.com/showthread...l-Guide-Thread

A lot of things I've covered in there.

1. It's fine if you don't dress up. A lot of people don't... But at some point you'll probably wish you did.
    2. People are more easier to talk to so don't hesitate to start up a conversation.
    3. Personally I think Metrocon is a good family friendly convention but it's here in Florida. I first attended when I was 15 and been going since. Tickets for the weekend are 45ish if you get them when they first go on sale. We have an awesome anime human chess match n things.

[I'm Gloomy]

今日...明日...永遠に...

Personal Tumblr | Deviant Art | Artsy Tumblr | Buy Artisan Crafts (Paintings & Vectors on Etsy)
    >>>Enter the WOTM<<<
    Theme: Pokemon

Blessed With -ugū- Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra has a reputation beyond repute Darkcobra's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts K-on Pick Haruhi Sos Dan Aria Neko
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2012 11:06 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dark C08ra

Just to agree with mentioned above it isnt abnormal to attend in normal clothes, i asked myself this question the first convention i went to and i decided to not go and dress up which i found was fine as there are of course many not in costume, consider alot will be like urself nd will be first timer's, also not all can afford the cosplay aspects so i wouldnt worry over it, but as said above you at some point will wish u was dressed up... even if its just to please the vibe =P for a first convention i would say go as u wish, if u want to dress up do it, if u feel ur unsure about it give it a miss and go noramlly- if nothing else u can get a feel for how many attend in dress and how they look so u can learn and join in next time (remember we have all been first timers)

me myself i have only attended 3 conventions due to i only took on the big anime fanism (the level were u wish to attend conventions) 2 years bk and before then i was just a fan. also living in the UK isnt easy as we dont get as much as id like for anime conventions but i guess our numbers r smaller so its not a big thing to people here, i duno. point being i couldnt recomend much with only attending 3.

i recomend googling for some conventions accross the US near ur local city, so washington and track a few down, make a small list and research into em. they dont usually cost massive amounts for weekend tickets but if u only want a one day then its less anyways :P if nothing more attend one or 2 reguardless how smal or big and get a feel for them and u should have some great fun

as said by blue angel do get talking to others. in my experiances i have made a few friends (not just day mates but friends) through conventions, considering all who attend r anime fans its a instant common ground so although with some taste in animes might differ u should be able to find a few who not only share ur interest but u will find ones offering new animes to u aswell as being nice people who u might continue to keep in contact with and who knows might be attending with in future. point being people r usually kind and nice so cease the oppitunity to chat

there just some hints from me
    i recomend checking guide [COLOR=Fail Otaku]@blueangel06661 [/COLOR]
    its some usefull hints for attending but also read thread comments some r useufll even if there just stuff others do
    hope u have fun at ur convention. remember ur first time doesnt have to be over the top trying to be one the cool cosplayers, u can just use it for research refferance for the future, lots do this and i once did 2 have fun and ask for any problems

Junior Member Fantasyrhia is on a distinguished road Fantasyrhia's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2011 04:00 PM
    Threads

I personally say, don't expect anything. If you expect certain things, you're likely gonna be disappointing or worried to the point it may ruin your time.
    Although, I can say that it's like a real life gathering of people from online anime and manga communities. There are plenty of very friendly people! (as others have mentioned.)
    My most awesome and closest friends are friends I met at cons.
    I didn't cosplay to my first convention. Then again, I was so overwhelmed by the feeling of awesomeness that I was running around the place taking photos of cosplayers. I met some pretty awesome people who I didn't ask for names or e-mails. (which was a bit of a shame when I think now.)
    My advice for when you meet awesome people, don't be shy! Talk to 'em and don't worry if you feel like you're not fitting in if you ever do. Also, don't be shy to ask for online contact info. (I only found out about the joys of doing that when I had a friend take me under her wing at my second con.)

Now, I'm assuming you're talking about Washington state. There are quite a few cons in there! There's Kuromicon (Vancouver, WA) and, of course, Sakura-Con (Seattle, WA)!
    Sakura-Con is a really big con! They often have voice actors and all kinds of guests and awesome events. It's held in a the Seattle convention center, and you can easily look up videos from it. (And it really is quite big.)
    Kuromicon is usually held in Hotels in Vancouver, WA. It's relatively small, but that gives people more chances to meet new people and bond. : )
    I'm from BC, just north of Washington, and I know of a lot of cosplayers and friends from BC who go to Sakura-Con and some that even go to Kuromicon.

Both conventions have websites that you can find by Googling them. The cost for the regestration passes are pretty pricey since they're held at hotels and convention centers. (Which are NOT cheap places to rent out for a large event I can tell you that.)
    It's $40-$60 for weekend-long general passes at-the-door (meaning, you walk in and pay at the location during the event). They are also one-day passes available. And also, the earlier you buy them (online) before the con, the cheaper they are.

I can't really suggest one for being best for a first time con-goer since I've never been to them. But I think you'd likely enjoy Sakura-Con more than Kuromicon if you want to explore events and see lots of cosplays rather than socialize with new people. Especially if you end up feeling like me at my first con, which was giddy and on full-speed running around the place.

A piece of advice, respect others. Especially people who have costumes. You should always ask before taking photos or hugging people since some people do not want their photos taken or you could damage an item the person is wearing or holding by glomping or randomly hugging them.
    There are usually panels on con-etiquette. You may want to look into it or attend one of these panels so that you can enjoy the con without trouble. : )

As for cosplaying to your first con. If you're ambitious enough to cosplay, go right ahead! You will fit in no matter what you wear. (As long as it's not so insane that the police will arrest you for it.)

Over all, for your first con. Embrace the atmosphere. Don't have ANY expectations. (Because they will likely crumble the more you expect them.) Show respect for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to chat with people (They don't bite and are very nice people who usually enjoy chatting! Don't worry about if they may think bad of you, because they probably don't. Just saying that because I thought that when talking to people at my first con and so I really missed out.). And have fun on your adventure!

And my only warning is that there are people there who you don't want to meet or run into at all. I've never run into people like that, but I have friends who have. You're not likely going to run into one, but it's always good to be aware that they do exist even at a con. So don't get to carried away with excitement and fun, because it can go to far. It's just like any other public event. It's something of a party with awesome people at times, but there is still reality floating around.

That's all I have to say. I hope that when you attend your first con, you have lots of fun and you're able to enjoy yourself!!

Junior Member TheDragonBorn is on a distinguished road TheDragonBorn's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-13-2011 11:22 AM
    Threads

They are alot of fun

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information