AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: English to Japanese Song Translation

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Gifts Mic Dr Who Tardis Guy Fawkes Mask
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-11-2020 12:43 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Senevir PSN ID: Senevir Steam ID: Senevir

Default English to Japanese Song Translation

I was given a request to translate an English song into Japanese the other day. The song is titled "Within You" and is from a movie some of you may remember entitled "Labyrinth". Older than me as it has it! xD
    Anyway, I tried doing it as best I could, but I don't think I'm conveying some parts poetically enough. Since this song is sung from the eyes of the Goblin King, I was perhaps wanting it to sound a little old yet powerful, but I wasn't sure how to do that. I was also tossing and turning as to whether "僕" or "俺" would be best to use. Anyway, please give me any suggestions and criticism because I would thrive off them. ^^

Within You
    君の中で

How you've turned my world, you precious thing
    You starve and near exhaust me
    Everything I've done, I've done for you
    I move the stars for no one
    俺の世界をいかにも逆様にしてくれた 大切な人よ
    俺を飢えさせて既の所で疲れ果てさせて
    総ては君の為にした事なのだ
    君の為であっても俺は星までは動かさない

You've run so long
    You've run so far
    Your eyes can be so cruel
    Just as I can be so cruel
    Though I do believe in you
    Yes, I do
    長い間駆けていた 
    とても遠くへ駆けていった
    君の目は残酷に成りえる 
    俺も残酷に成りえるように
    それでも俺はまだ君を信じているけど 
    そう、君を信じよう

Live without the sunlight
    Love without your heartbeat
    I can't live within you
    日光なしで生きろ 
    君のハートビートなしで愛せ
    俺は君の中で生きる事が出来ない

Also, another thing I was trying to do was write the beginning of one of my stories in Japanese (as originally intended). There are a few lines that are being tricky with me, but the one I'm thinking of at the moment is the opening line which goes "Mankind has come to a standstill".

I had two ideas for this:
    1) 人類は立ち往生することになる。
    2) 人類は停滞状態に墜ちいった。

Are either of these suitable enough to say that? =x
    Last edited by Hikarin; 06-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Come and join me in FFXIV.
    Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: English to Japanese Song Translation

I think you've done a superb job overall on a difficult task. I'll throw in my two cents.

>Since this song is sung from the eyes of the Goblin King, I was perhaps wanting it to sound a little old yet powerful, but I wasn't sure how to do that.
    How about making the first-person 「私」? (「俺」 might do as well; either way, 「僕」 sounds way too young for your purposes, at least for me.)

>How you've turned my world, you precious thing
    >僕の世界を以下にも逆様にしてくれた 大切な人よ

Using 「以下にも」 in this way sounds a bit grammatically questionable to me. If you really want to preserve the "How you've ..." in your translation, my suggestion is working off a variant of something like;

(なんて)僕の世界を逆様にしてくれた(んだ) 大切な人よ
    or
    (こんなにも)僕の世界を逆様にしてくれた 大切な人よ

>You've run so long
    >You've run so far
    >長い間駆けていた 
    >とても遠くへ駆けていった
    The subject of the translation is unclear, and from the context it sounds like it's referring to the singer/speaker. You might want to think of adding a 「君は」 to the first line, as in,

君は長い間駆けていた 
    とても遠くへ駆けていった

>Yes, I do
    >そう、君を信じよう
    「君を信じよう」 means "(Yes) I will believe in you" (a more direct translation should read in present tense like the original, i.e. 「君を信じて(い)る」). Of course, there's nothing wrong with the way it is now grammatically; I just want to check if this is a liberty you're aware of and comfortable in taking.

>君のハートビートなしで愛せ
    「ハートビート」 is normally not spelled out in katakana like this. Have you considered 鼓動?

>僕は君の中に生きる事が出来ない
    My gut tells me it should be 「君の中で」.

Finally, I vote for
    >2) 人類は停滞状態に墜ちいった。

「立ち往生」 is used a lot in daily conversation for trivial situations (like traffic jams), and I think it lacks the sort of tone of gravity you're looking for.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 06-25-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin has a reputation beyond repute Hikarin's Avatar
    Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Firstly, I'd like to say how glad I am to see someone other than Azu-niichan or ani-niichan answering questions. Not to say I don't like their intake or help, because I love it, but it makes me happy for more people to give it a go, so I'll +rep you on that ground alone. ^///^
    And thank you! xD I'll probably find ways to improve it later on though.

How about making the first-person 「私」? (「俺」 might do as well; either way, 「僕」 sounds way too young for your purposes, at least for me.)
    I agree with you on "僕" now that I think about it, but "私" to me sometimes sounds a little too gentle. When I think of using "俺" though, I'm always tempted to use other wordings in my sentencing like "お前" and "ぞ"! xD

Using 「以下にも」 in this way sounds a bit grammatically questionable to me.
    Funny you should say that, cause that's the part I liked the least! ^^ I just couldn't think of what to use. I had considered something with "こんな", but I didn't even consider "なんて" as a possibility.

The subject of the translation is unclear, and from the context it sounds like it's referring to the singer/speaker.
    Yeah, I know.... "君" was originally in there, but I removed it. In most Japanese songs, lyrics are often vague like that, so I figured it wouldn't matter. You think I should put it back in? There just seems to be so many "僕"s and "君"s in the translation already though, so it was kinda annoying me not being creative enough to omit some. =x

「君を信じよう」 means "(Yes) I will believe in you" (a more direct translation should read in present tense like the original, i.e. 「君を信じて(い)る」). Of course, there's nothing wrong with the way it is now grammatically; I just want to check if this is a liberty you're aware of and comfortable in taking.
    Yes, I was aware, I just didn't want to use the same thing as above. ^^ If this sounds funny or too different to you though, I don't mind other opinions.

「ハートビート」 is normally not spelled out in katakana like this. Have you considered 鼓動?
    Ah, yes. I know it is not often done like that, but I think Japanese readers will understand it and I wanted to keep it short. I did think of "鼓動", but if I used that, I'd have to say something like "心の鼓動" which is a fair amount longer than just "ハートビート". ;p

Mmmm.... I think either one is fine.

Finally, I vote for >2)
    I agree with you on that as well. ^^ Yeah, I noticed that. I guess there is no good way to say "standstill" in Japanese.

Gaia Data Centre (Valefor) ~ Senevir Vae'talhrin | Chaos Data Centre (Omega) ~ Myrrh'a Afhkaar
    Elemental Data Centre (Atomos) ~ Kharsarnai Khrui | Mana Data Centre (Masamune) ~ Gakuto Ren

Have a lyrics request? Feel free to ask. Specialty - Vocaloid and other doujin music.
    Subject to availability.

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You're welcome. I'd sure love to have Azure Dark-san and other' opinions on this as well.

Ah, yes. I know it is not often done like that, but I think Japanese readers will understand it and I wanted to keep it short. I did think of "鼓動", but if I used that, I'd have to say something like "心の鼓動" which is a fair amount longer than just "ハートビート". ;p
    I believe 鼓動 can be taken to mean "heartbeat" by itself (e.g. 「僕の鼓動」), but I guess 鼓動 would somewhat lack the metaphorical association with the soul that "heartbeat" has, so I see your point there. I agree that Japanese readers will be able to understand, so I think there's no problem with going with "ハートビート".

To elaborate a bit on my thinking there, I guess 「君の中に」 implies a movement/direction towards something, which nuance seems a bit out of place in this context. 「君の中で」 has a stronger association with place and seems to fit better in this case. But in any case, it's your call as a translator.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I'm at work right now (on a Saturday D: )
    Maybe when I get home today, I'll also take a look at this to see if there's anything I can add.
    Didn't expect to someone else helping out! =D

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

>How you've turned my world, you precious thing
    >僕の世界を以下にも逆様にしてくれた 大切な人よ

I think Hikarin meant to use いかにも instead of 以下にも. The different kanji make it into a different word. いかにも would probably work, but is it really necessary to be this literal? XD

>You starve and near exhaust me
    >僕を飢えさせて既の所で疲れ果てさせて

Same as above, I think it's just a little too literal. Like I said some time earlier this week in another post, literal translation may end up sounding too stiff. I'd probably just make it simpler by changing it from passive to active voice:
    君のせいでもう飢えて疲れているよ
    something like that. But it's your choice whether you prefer to keep everything literal.

>I move the stars for no one
    >君の為であっても僕は星までは動かさない

I thought these two lines meant "I would move the stars for no one but you"?... This is an English-related question lol.

>You've run so long
    >You've run so far
    >長い間駆けていた 
    >とても遠くへ駆けていった

You can also consider using よく(も) here to make it clear it's second person. For example:
    よくも長いあいだ走っていて
    ここまで駆けてきたね

>Your eyes can be so cruel
    >Just as I can be so cruel
    >君の目は残酷に成りえる 
    >僕も残酷に成りえるように

I feel these two lines are a little too repetitive because they use the same two words and almost the same structure... Maybe:
    君の目は時に 俺と同じような
    残酷さを映し出している
    Is there too liberal and free-style for you? XD

>Live without the sunlight
    >Love without your heartbeat
    >日光なしで生きろ 
    >君のハートビートなしで愛せ

Again, English-related problem here. What are these two lines trying to convey? I get this feeling that they're not meant to be commands directed at the girl...=x

Gil
    Sleepy
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

@Datenshi
    Yes, it could be used on it's own, but it would lack that meaning implied I think.

@animeyay
    I think Hikarin meant to use いかにも instead of 以下にも. The different kanji make it into a different word. いかにも would probably work, but is it really necessary to be this literal? XD
    Lol, yes, I did! xD
    I know what you're saying, but I really feel that I want to express the emotion conveyed in English behind it rather than making it a little plain. Can you think of a better way to do this other than what I've done? While many Japanese lyrics run deep and can be emotional, I get the feeling that English often works a little more poetically in some ways, so I don't know where to stand on this.

Same as above, I think it's just a little too literal. Like I said some time earlier this week in another post, literal translation may end up sounding too stiff. I'd probably just make it simpler by changing it from passive to active voice:
    君のせいでもう飢えて疲れているよ
    something like that. But it's your choice whether you prefer to keep everything literal.
    I do agree with you on that and I was actually thinking of the exact thing when I was translating the song. I don't really like "既の所で" much, but at the same time, I kind of like the way I worded the rest of the sentence. I'll have to think more....

I thought these two lines meant "I would move the stars for no one but you"?... This is an English-related question lol.
    Ah, now I thought the same thing originally. =3 However, it seemed a little contradictory to me and the more I thought about it, I realised that he was probably saying something like "I've done everything I can to please you, and yet it's not good enough. Don't expect me to go so far as moving the stars for you". What do you think after reading that idea?

You can also consider using よく(も) here to make it clear it's second person. For example:
    よくも長いあいだ走っていて
    ここまで駆けてきたね
    Hmmm.... that's an idea. I'll think on that more. On this subject, do you have any other suggestions on where I can "safely" omit 僕 or 君?

I feel these two lines are a little too repetitive because they use the same two words and almost the same structure... Maybe:
    君の目は時に 俺と同じような
    残酷さを映し出している
    Is there too liberal and free-style for you? XD
    I really do like that suggestion you've made there, but I don't know why, I feel that with this sentence, I want them to be quite similar. =x It's set out like that in English, so....

Again, English-related problem here. What are these two lines trying to convey? I get this feeling that they're not meant to be commands directed at the girl...=x
    Un, again we were originally thinking along the same lines. However, I did spend a little while really trying to understand and study the meaning of the song. I thought back on the movie to try to understand it better too. I ended up deciding that what he meant by this was that if she let everything go like he wanted, then he could live within her and hence control her.
    There have been many debates as to whether Jareth actually loved Sarah, but I don't believe he did. He was Goblin King and he was sly. He merely wanted his way and she stood in the way of him getting that. She was almost drawn to the Goblin King out of awe or what not, and he used that to his advantage to play with her mind and make her think he was interested to distract her from the time limit. It's all a power battle I think really.
    Last edited by Hikarin; 06-26-2011 at 01:43 AM.

Subject to availability.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

Datenshi is my 先輩 and a native... so I have nothing to add. And especially since I never watched Labyrinth and have never heard of the Goblin King before.

must hammer my head into NOT looking at the title as 君の○内で
    Last edited by AzureDark; 06-26-2011 at 04:18 AM.

...so that you know where you can find me

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDark View Post
    must hammer my head into NOT looking at the title as 君の○内で
    O.O;; you wouldn't happen to mean 月室... would you? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Hikarin View Post
    Ah, now I thought the same thing originally. =3 However, it seemed a little contradictory to me and the more I thought about it, I realised that he was probably saying something like "I've done everything I can to please you, and yet it's not good enough. Don't expect me to go so far as moving the stars for you". What do you think after reading that idea?
    I guess that's another possibility. Just goes to show you that songs can be confusing in any language. It's understandable though, since they need to cut down words and then add words to make them fit into the rhythm. You can go with this, then. =D

Hmmm.... that's an idea. I'll think on that more. On this subject, do you have any other suggestions on where I can "safely" omit 僕 or 君?
    The other places where you have pronouns kinda have to have them... You don't like pronouns? lol

Un, again we were originally thinking along the same lines. However, I did spend a little while really trying to understand and study the meaning of the song. I thought back on the movie to try to understand it better too. I ended up deciding that what he meant by this was that if she let everything go like he wanted, then he could live within her and hence control her.
    Haha okay, you understand the movie a lot more than I do, so there's not much for me to contest. =)

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

O.O;; you wouldn't happen to mean 月室... would you? ;D
    No it's a lot worse than you think. Actually I know you know what it is, but leave the eroge talk between just me and sempai will you?

...so that you know where you can find me

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information