AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you prefer your anime subbed or dubbed?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed

81 74.31%
  • Dubbed

28 25.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: DISCUSSION - Subbed or Dubbed anime?

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

Default Re: DISCUSSION - Subbed or Dubbed anime?

Just watched Baccano ep 1 in japanese.
    Then checked the eng dub of same ep.
    I don't get why the heck some of you say the eng dub is better than the jap one. The eng dub was just another crap eng dub.

Senior Member Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road has a reputation beyond repute Road's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts Pocky Compass
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-27-2013 12:29 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I don't get why the heck some of you say the eng dub is better than the jap one. The eng dub was just another crap eng dub.
    Well Most dubs if not done by a major company like Funimation, are all Fan dubs. Fan Dubs can be anything to a group of friends or some websites and lack the more professional sound quality or carefulness.

Set by Me
    ~Dancing Through Life~

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    Well Most dubs if not done by a major company like Funimation, are all Fan dubs. Fan Dubs can be anything to a group of friends or some websites and lack the more professional sound quality or carefulness.
    Baccano is dubbed by FUNI ;P
    Baccano is licensed by FUNI and Aniplex USA. So there might be 2 dubs of it.
    Most FUNI dubs sucks, becaus they use the same people over and over and over again.

Part time Adventurer GrimStride is on a distinguished road GrimStride's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2019 10:59 AM
    Threads

I absolutely despise dubs .
    Over the years i've stumbled upon series which happened to be licenced and had dual tracks - the original audio and a dubbed one . The difference is quite obvious . The voice acting in the dubbed versions is horrible 99.999% of the time and it totally ruins it for me .
    So i stick to the original japanese audio

Junior Member highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire has a reputation beyond repute highwire's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-02-2012 08:40 AM
    Threads

Are you trolling or are you unable to put two and two together? Given that the setting is New York and the dub is filled with accents appropriate for said setting, I thought the reason many people preferred the English version was extremely obvious.
    Baccano is dubbed by FUNI ;P
    Baccano is licensed by FUNI and Aniplex USA. So there might be 2 dubs of it.
    Most FUNI dubs sucks, becaus they use the same people over and over and over again.
    It’s a double edged sword, yes a number of voice actors keep getting used which may take some of the magic out of the experience. However, because some of these voice actors keep getting used - they keep improving, getting better with every performance making them great actors in their own right.

The share fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people here can’t point out bad Japanese voice acting if their lives depended on it. Mispronunciation and emphasizing the right syllables are both things most of you can’t evaluate when it comes to Japanese voice acting. In fact since a lot of people are arguing: “The original VAs always put in more effort therefore subs are better” I’ll add overacting to the list of things most of you are unable to critique.
    Last edited by highwire; 04-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Are you trolling or are you unable to put two and two together? Given that the setting is New York and the dub is filled with accents appropriate for said setting, I thought the reason many people preferred the English version was extremely obvious.
    It’s a double edged sword, yes a number of voice actors keep getting used which may take some of the magic out of the experience. However, because some of these voice actors keep getting used - they keep improving, getting better with every performance making them great actors in their own right.

The share fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people here can’t point out bad Japanese voice acting if their lives depended on it. Mispronunciation and emphasizing the right syllables are both things most of you can’t evaluate when it comes to Japanese voice acting. In fact since a lot of people are arguing: “The original VAs always put in more effort therefore subs are better” I’ll add overacting to the list of things most of you are unable to critique.
    I'm saying my opinion on it, that's not trolling
    I didn't like it.

Just becaus it's set in NY and has accents from there, doesn't mean they sound good.
    Plus, american accents mostly sound like sh*t.
    Last edited by FluffyDango; 04-22-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Senior Member SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR has a reputation beyond repute SpeaR's Avatar
    Gil
    Happy
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-15-2013 08:13 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Overlord3k

@Des
    WARNING This is all my personal opinion

Yes you didn't like the eng dub so what? You judge the whole dub based on 1 episode? The thing is you watched the dub right after watching it subbed. If you watch them in a row ofc you won't be able to keep an open mind about it and you probably won't like it as much because you were probably getting used to the original. Now if you wait weeks/months and then decide to give it another try who knows you might enjoy it but at least you gave it a try. What does bother me a lot is people who immediately hate on dubs or subs because of their elitist view and won't give it a chance/keep an open mind.
    But in the end what it comes to is preferences and everyone is different. For me the Baccano dub is one of my favorites does that mean it is better than the original? Well not really it just means I really like the dub.

e: the thing about Voice actors being used often can get annoying sometimes especially if you don't think they fit the role or you dislike their voice.
    I personally have nothing against it. A lot of my favorite voice actors are because I really enjoy them in a lot of the series they are in but I guess if you dislike how they act or their voice it could bother you.
    2 of my favorite voice actors http://myanimelist.net/people/8/Rie_Kugimiya and http://myanimelist.net/people/67/Kappei_Yamaguchi
    Last edited by SpeaR; 04-23-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Senior Member Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」 has a reputation beyond repute Ayu 「あゆ」's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-27-2013 05:08 PM
    Threads

I like English dubs bcuz I can understand it without having to constantly read. It's nice to just be able to listen to what is said and understand it of off that alone. Mangas are for reading! Anime is for watching and listening!

Tho, I have to say that Tears to Tiara dubbed has a terrible voice actor for the elf prince warrior guy, lol.

Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd 1000% chose SUB, because japanese is just a fantastic language and I've never seen a anime besides SUB, I believe the original version is way better than any DUB, but I respect who thinks the other way. Besides, if by any chance my fav animes (Shonnen like OP, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy T, KHR...) only were avaliable in the dub version I obviously would still see them! (and wonder if I'd like it the same or not, maybe yes)

10. Thanks Kagome thanked for this post
    Senior Member AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan has a reputation beyond repute AshureeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Systems N64 Hello Kitty Soul Eater Logo
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2017 03:25 PM
    Threads

I really can't vote in this because I like both and don't really care which version I watch lol

| Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube | MyAnimeList |

"Frustrations will not last forever. Nobody can keep on going without some measure of reward."

12. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Member Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka has a reputation beyond repute Tenshimaka's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Soul Eater Soul Soul Eater Logo Jigsaw Ribbon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2013 07:12 AM
    Threads

I always watch subbed, I can never seem to stand the english voice acting it really ruins the whole thing for me. Beside's you can never beat the original.

14. Likes Mugiwara-no-Basuke liked this post
    Back To Business ~> Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke has a reputation beyond repute Mugiwara-no-Basuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts One Piece Flag Soul Eater Shinigami-sama Naruto Sharingan
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-26-2012 02:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshimaka View Post
    I always watch subbed, I can never seem to stand the english voice acting it really ruins the whole thing for me. Beside's you can never beat the original.
    I have the exact opinion, but I'm guilty 'cause I never tired to watch a dubbed anime (I sometime's downloaded an episode that I thought subbed and opening it and hearing a brazilian voice just kicked me off and I quitted)
    , I do like English very much but the japanese language, being also very very beautiful, is a symbol of the anime's culture, I'd say the two stuff are as difficult to separate as cereals and milk :P

Senior Member Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy has a reputation beyond repute Creasy's Avatar
    Gil
    Yeehaw
    Gifts Cookie Soul Eater Logo Bleach Urahara Hat
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2012 09:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Subbed! Definately ...##

~loyal~

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2024 04:10 PM
    Threads

I gotta say dubbed. I don't speak Japanese, but I know when they mess up witht he subs. Especially the malaysian subtitles.

Now I'll admit a lo9t of dubs suck, but that's because our esteemed translators try to clean them up for American Audiences. Card Captors. DBZ, etc.

At the same time when you imagine Hercule/Mr. Satan's voice... well you know who you think of and it ain't whoever did the Japanese version.

And these days they are getting better. Ghost Stories and Desert Punk were very well done.

18. Likes SpeaR liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information