AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fanservice - Deal breaker or maker?

Junior Member validuser is on a distinguished road validuser's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2011 09:29 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Fanservice - Deal breaker or maker?

Personally, I cant stand it.
    Most fanservice is awkward, annoying, and takes away the little respect I might've developed for a character.

Take Gurren Lagaan for example: the lead female Yoko, was MADE for fanservice. Supposedly, she's this super-tough sniper, fighting giant robots in a bloody war zone, while wearing a fking bikini - for the ENTIRE show. Like, seriously? If you are putting in fanservice for a series, atleast TRY to make the character believable ffs.

I dont see how people can say FS makes anime more 'real' or 'human', cause there's no fking way you're squeezing a random girl's tits and getting away with it.
    I guess the ONLY reason fanservice exists is for pervs to jerk off to teenage cartoon characters. Its awkward, and I stand by that. It wont prevent me from watching anime, but I really really wish FS wasnt there at all.
    The producers can perv with hentai all they want, but anime would be better off without it.
    Last edited by validuser; 03-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Member Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord has a reputation beyond repute Lord's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts One Piece Mugiwara Guitar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2021 06:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fanservice - Deal breaker or maker?

Gurren Lagaan is Mecha and Fantasy. You can't expect it to be realistic because it obviously tells you before you start watching this anime, that it's non-realistic.
    It's like watching Naruto and all of a sudden you decide to hate Orochimaru because there's no way a humanbeing can have snakes in his mouth. WTF? The main purpose of these animes is that it has to be non-realistic, something we people can't experience in the real world, therefore we watch these animes so we can experience them in another way.

Junior Member validuser is on a distinguished road validuser's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2011 09:29 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Ega View Post
    Gurren Lagaan is Mecha and Fantasy. You can't expect it to be realistic because it obviously tells you before you start watching this anime, that it's non-realistic.
    It's like watching Naruto and all of a sudden you decide to hate Orochimaru because there's no way a humanbeing can have snakes in his mouth. WTF? The main purpose of these animes is that it has to be non-realistic, something we people can't experience in the real world, therefore we watch these animes so we can experience them in another way.
    Gurren Lagaan was just an example.
    There's a great deal of difference between a realistic story and a realistic character. All I'm saying is that the characters should be believable emotionally (not physically - I don't care if a character has three heads or four eyes). They should act and behave as normal people do. The reason I mentioned Yoko in Gurren Lagaan is cause no sane person would fight in a bikini. Simple fact. And then she acts all weird when someone stares at her. Seriously? She wears next to nothing and feels offended when some-one stares? How is that believable? And anyway, the topic in question is fanservice, not how 'realistic' anime is compared to real life. I never said that.
    Even if fanservice was completely removed from an anime like Code Geass, it would still retain its awesomeness. That's all I'm trying to say.
    Last edited by validuser; 03-18-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Senior Member YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-11-2011 04:49 AM
    Threads

I personally don't see anything wrong with a lot of fanservice (or lack of even) in animes as I'm a fan of it myself ^^

Member Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie is a splendid one to behold Jeffrey Cornillie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2011 11:40 AM
    Threads

Well i honestly love some fan service in an anime... but not too much...
    it's the difference between: "wooohoooo bouncing tittiess! I'll drink to that"
    and "OMFG, his hand is completely being absorbed by it ö it's the boobmonster EVERYBODYY RUN!!!*

I mean.... anyone ever saw the highschool of the dead???... It's like... BULLET DODGING BREASTS...
    HOW FREAKING FAR CAN YOU GO??

Senior Member Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts M1911 Battleship Favorite
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2013 07:31 AM
    Threads

Meh, fanservice or not, if you don't enjoy fanservice, don't watch/think about it.
    Lots of fanservice Anime/Manga can be enjoyable for those who enjoys fanservice or don't, and at your point on Yoko only being in a bikini, that doesn't mean it's fanservice, it could be badassery, she's also a sniper, which means, the less armour, the better agility and speed, which is very good and needed for a good sniper, but I can agree, atleast a shirt of some kind and/or bulletproof vest could've been used, but whatever, producers decide how it is.
    If you're disturbed by fanservice, you should look up reviews and such things before watching a show, almost everything nowadays are filled with it.
    Heeey!

Member marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear has a brilliant future marsbear's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-14-2011 12:05 PM
    Threads

I'm neutral on this one. I don't seek anime with plenty of fan service, but I won't get turned off by it if I ever see it in my favorite anime.
    Last edited by marsbear; 03-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

As long as it`s not the Ikkitousen kind where girls cloats gets blown off when they get hit, that just weird :P

But Freezing for example is a great anime, but it has alot of fanservice and some of it is pretty weird.
    But becaus the story in it has become so great I don`t mind that it had weird fs.

When the fs is excessive I think an anime is lame, now, didn`t before :P
    But if the anime only has some panty shots or if the girls are like Yoko, I won`t be bothered with it.
    And TTGL is an EPIC anime!

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by validuser View Post
    Gurren Lagaan was just an example.
    There's a great deal of difference between a realistic story and a realistic character. All I'm saying is that the characters should be believable emotionally (not physically - I don't care if a character has three heads or four eyes). They should act and behave as normal people do. The reason I mentioned Yoko in Gurren Lagaan is cause no sane person would fight in a bikini. Simple fact. And then she acts all weird when someone stares at her. Seriously? She wears next to nothing and feels offended when some-one stares? How is that believable?
    Well, again, that's a little...weird to expect from an anime. Considering that everything is made up, expecting realism (ANY realism) from a cartoon is pushing it a bit. Continuing to use Gurren Lagann as an example, Yoko states that the reason she dresses that way is for ease of movement, which kinda makes sense (it makes even more sense when, during the down time in the second season, Yoko is not wearing her bikini outfit). As far as her getting offended, well, Kamina was the one making most of the jokes and she had a crush on him, so...

Quote Originally Posted by validuser View Post
    And anyway, the topic in question is fanservice, not how 'realistic' anime is compared to real life. I never said that.
    Even if fanservice was completely removed from an anime like Code Geass, it would still retain its awesomeness. That's all I'm trying to say.
    No one said that was the topic, but so long as you brought it up as the basis of your opinion, people chose to run with it.

Anyway, I don't really mind fanservice all that much, as long as it flows with the rest of the story; it being "believable" (when it comes to real life) is not all that important to me so long as its not too distracting and keeps pace with the rest of the story. With Gurren Lagann, I didn't really mind the fanservice with Yoko. Hell, I didn't even mind Motoko running around without pants in GITS: SAC. Fanservice rarely bothers me.

The only time that fanservice has bothered me to the point of not watching the series is Strike Witches. The story seemed okay enough, but the characters kept showing their panties at every opportunity. Its not the fact that I am girl that this bothers me (I can put up with Motoko and Kallen's butts in my face).

Its the fact that it happens ALL THE TIME, to the point where the girls are put in the most awkward positions just to make sure that their panties are showing, and it makes the story seem rather off (the story is talking about some serious stuff while the girls are flying around with cat ears and tails and shoving panties in your face). I can't tell if its being serious or if its a joke.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Senior Member Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi's Avatar
    Gil
    Crappy
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2011 02:16 PM
    Threads

I admit, alot of anime series, movies, etc, probably would be better off without the FS, at times it turns me off too. I mean some movies and series i've seen were great to begin with and at first i'm loving it, then some girl's skirt goes up, or some perv grabs a girl's butt, or heaven forbid, an attempted rape occurs! But from what I understand that's just the way anime is, and what you must realize is not ALL anime is like that, you just have to look for the good shows. I must tell you though, you have to watch alot of crappy series before you find that one good one, but depending at how good the show or movie is, it might be worth it.

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I don't actively seek animes with fan service, but I'm normally okay with it, AS LONG AS they don't abuse it.

Senior Member YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl has a reputation beyond repute YuriEcchiGirl's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-11-2011 04:49 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cornillie View Post
    Well i honestly love some fan service in an anime... but not too much...
    it's the difference between: "wooohoooo bouncing tittiess! I'll drink to that"
    and "OMFG, his hand is completely being absorbed by it ö it's the boobmonster EVERYBODYY RUN!!!*

I mean.... anyone ever saw the highschool of the dead???... It's like... BULLET DODGING BREASTS...
    HOW FREAKING FAR CAN YOU GO??
    High School Of The Dead is THE BOMB and then some fanservice wise! I absolutely bloody love it to bits! ^^

Junior Member Arutemisu is on a distinguished road Arutemisu's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-07-2011 09:25 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dameen15

I agree with some of the people who've already posted. High School of The Dead is FULL of FS; but it's still a rather good anime. It really depends on your opinion and the anime itself I suppose. Anyway, to answer your question; No, fanservice doesn't turn me off an anime so long as the entire anime isn't JUST fanservice.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information