AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My thoughts on NGE

Junior Member Nothingitis is on a distinguished road Nothingitis's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-09-2011 02:41 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default My thoughts on NGE

I am not an anime expert. I got into the genre by watching Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. In both of those I loved the visual style, the story, the character development and (more so in GitS) the exploration of complex issues such as meaning of life, relationships, perception of reality, etc.

Ive decided to give NGE a go sicne it was genenrally rated higher than GitS or CB. I did so against my intuition not to watch the show due its plot which on the face of it seemed rather banal ("teenagers saving the world"). I also doubted I could relate to the characters (which for me is an essential requirement for enjoying any work of fiction) as I am quite a few years past my teens.

Having watched it, I have to say its a fairly strange show. Some of the themes were quite interesting, but having read the comments of this board, it seems I did not notice some of the symbolism/subtext. I also felt it was a very bizzare setting (the impending end of the world due to an attack of supernatural beings) for the exploration of themes that were raised (typical teenage issues of anxiety/communication with others/sexuality/relationships with parents).The two just did not match, in my opinion. The development is of a complex story with all the religious references just seemed very disconected with the issues that the charecters were dealing with thoughout the show, and in the end was left not fully explained. As such, the show's intended message(s) for the viewer (if there was one) was somewhat lost for me.

And I was right to guess that I would not relate to the charecters. However, it is a strange thing that I did not. I am quite an introverted person, and my teenage years certainly weren't the happiest. Surprisingly though, I did not feel that I could relate to the main charecter Shinji in any way.

Did I watch it from the wrong angle or is it just not for me?

Senior Member Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi has a reputation beyond repute Kappei Yamaguchi's Avatar
    Gil
    Crappy
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2011 03:16 PM
    Threads

Default Re: My thoughts on NGE

Honestly it was just a confusing series all around, and just like you I didn't really get the whole symbolism everyone else seems to have noticed. I'm more of a Rahxephon fan myself, because it was some what of a similar story,but it made more sense. You could try watching the movies or even the director's cut, if you already haven't. The movies and director's supposed to be alternate endings to the series itself and I guess clears up some of the confusion. But you're not alone, by the end of the series I was like WHAT THE!

Junior Member html_rulezd00d is on a distinguished road html_rulezd00d's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2011 08:41 PM
    Threads

Well if i was a nerv leader i would have hired heero yuy everyone knows that this guy would be unstopable in an eva!!!! ahahahaha

Junior Member Bloodpatternblue is on a distinguished road Bloodpatternblue's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2011 08:44 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingitis View Post
    I am not an anime expert. I got into the genre by watching Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. In both of those I loved the visual style, the story, the character development and (more so in GitS) the exploration of complex issues such as meaning of life, relationships, perception of reality, etc.

Ive decided to give NGE a go sicne it was genenrally rated higher than GitS or CB. I did so against my intuition not to watch the show due its plot which on the face of it seemed rather banal ("teenagers saving the world"). I also doubted I could relate to the characters (which for me is an essential requirement for enjoying any work of fiction) as I am quite a few years past my teens.

Having watched it, I have to say its a fairly strange show. Some of the themes were quite interesting, but having read the comments of this board, it seems I did not notice some of the symbolism/subtext. I also felt it was a very bizzare setting (the impending end of the world due to an attack of supernatural beings) for the exploration of themes that were raised (typical teenage issues of anxiety/communication with others/sexuality/relationships with parents).The two just did not match, in my opinion. The development is of a complex story with all the religious references just seemed very disconected with the issues that the charecters were dealing with thoughout the show, and in the end was left not fully explained. As such, the show's intended message(s) for the viewer (if there was one) was somewhat lost for me.

And I was right to guess that I would not relate to the charecters. However, it is a strange thing that I did not. I am quite an introverted person, and my teenage years certainly weren't the happiest. Surprisingly though, I did not feel that I could relate to the main charecter Shinji in any way.

Did I watch it from the wrong angle or is it just not for me?

Are you into reading Manga? If so i recommend reading NGE the Manga, it goes into a bit more logical detail instead of just visual messages. Ther series is meant to be complex and is mean to be viewed differently for each viewer, which i believe to be the beuty of the series.

Perhaps paying attention to the messages is what you missed, the teenage angst was only the skin of the series... there was so much more going on underneath.

I'll give you one spoiler i believe explains why it has teenage angst in the series mixed in with a doomsday and religious setting....

Teenagers are said to be more in contact with all things spiritial... And each pilot has had their mother killed (exception of Rei) their mothers souls are believed to be in the core of the Eva's, giving the beserk mode life when they are in trouble, both Shinji and Asuka feel/smell their mothers before the Eva's activate Beserk mode. Being Teenagers they can feel the spirits more then an adult would. Hence the children piloting.

Hope this helps............

Member Allan53 is on a distinguished road Allan53's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-22-2014 01:05 AM
    Threads

I wouldn't say you watched it 'wrong', it's a complicated show to be sure, and you can't approach it the same way as other animes. A lot of what happens is symbolic as much as it is literal, and you need to actively think about what each episode means, and various interpretations of it.

I'd recommend putting it aside, and coming back to it in a year or two. But that's me, I needed to mature somewhat before I could appreciate it better (and when I say mature, I meant philosophically as much as mentally and such).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information