AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is any American animation serious?

Senior Member iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV has a reputation beyond repute iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2015 11:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Is any American animation serious?

I can honestly say that I haven't seen any shows from America that are serious. They base their whole show on comedy. I mean some of it is actually funny, but I'm getting tired of it. In anime, there is a huge amount of serious shows. Even in things like Pokemon, they take their adventure seriously and don't waste every second of the show for comedy. But in lets say Teen Titans Go, there is no heroic acts. Just some comedy.

So have you seen any shows from America that are, for the most part, serious?

The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Default Re: Is any American animation serious?

You have avatar, also don't forget animated movies are still animation so you have things like WallE and Up that pack a nice message or so and while they are cute they do have a nice solid underlining message to them. Just try to look more outside of Cartoon Network and things.

It's really because only Kids watch those shows so they try to be funny. Adults will watch stupid crude humored shows on Adult Swim later on.

Even in Japan the accepted demographic to watching anime IS children so there are plenty of comedy/magical girl/action shows. It's just they happen to have a pretty big outcasted culture of otaku's so they can make pretty much whatever they want unlike here in america where it's just kids basically that watch it.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Member Sky Hedgehogian Maestro is on a distinguished road Sky Hedgehogian Maestro's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2014 09:27 PM
    Threads

Quite so, actually. Expect most of it to at least retain a tinge of comedy, but there are serious shows. You just have to look for them, and expect no one to want them no matter how successful or loved. For example, Cartoon Network? Young Justice had solid ratings, as did Green Lantern, Ben 10 Alien Force, etc. etc... But because it wasn't Johnny T-... er... """""funny""""" they didn't want to market it.
    Whether you mean "Serious slow" or "serious action packed" is more important. I haven't seen a single Western cartoon here that features those slower, more real and emotional moments as the bulk of the series. Young Justice combined some of it, however.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Most of the stuff from the '80s [ie: Transformers, G.I. Joe, He-man, and more] was serious (even if it was a ploy for selling merchandise). The ideas and some plot devices may have be campy and cheesy, but the storylines were pretty serious. You still had the going into the '90s with Gargoyles, Swat Kats, and Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. Even now with shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Ben 10, and Generation Rex there's plenty of seriousness around.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Senior Member Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave has a reputation beyond repute Movie Dave's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2013 12:26 AM
    Threads

Alas, Here let me list: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Young Justice, Tron: Uprising, Avengers: Earth's mightiest heroes, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Batman: The Animated series. Don't let shows with jokes fool you into thinking that. There are plenty of very serious moments and themes in these shows. The reason why the witty jokes are existent is so they can appeal to a younger audience. Kids usually wont get all these serious themes in the shows, Kids are too impatient to wait between action sequences thus, they tend to add jokes to keep the kids interested. I mean Avatar has serious things that even most anime doesn't even cover(Murder being the biggest one). Legend of Korra has a real dark ending. I really suggest you look up these series and REALLY pay attention, there's a lot of seriousness going on in these.

"Tell her that I miss our little talks."

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 06:36 PM
    Threads

Define "serious". I mean do you mean where they don't make jokes while kicking butt at all? not many. None that lasted. but some stuff is serious.

Last edited by DeathBlade/13.666; 08-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Senior Member Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano has a reputation beyond repute Kaleohano's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Gifts Dodge Viper GTS Hyundai Coupe Yellow Ribbon
    Mentioned
    410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-10-2017 10:46 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bad_Prelude

of course there's serious american animation.

Hmmm... Been a while
    Sit back some time and simply ask yourself, [Link]->"Do you even lift, bro?"<-[Link]

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'm still waiting for this movie. Do you consider this serious? After all people are dying.

Not that all anime is serious either.

it all depends.
    Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

WOW!!!! Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa has a reputation beyond repute Kumagawa's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts AK47 American Flag Ribbon Systems N64
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2023 04:18 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WootenClen

If you think a comedic show can't be serious then youre stupid.

Junior Member Kaworuu is on a distinguished road Kaworuu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-28-2013 05:37 PM
    Threads

Hrrmm. Shows is a little tricky since most cartoons are aimed at children, but Disney's older animated works (Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Hunchback of Notre Dame) were very serious and tragic. (One of them even dark, Hunchback of Notre Dame while a bastardization or the original text is still a disturbing story. The scene with Frollo singing into the fire comes to mind.)

As for cartoons there is Legend of Korra, Generator Rex, Young Justice, and Thundercats are decent examples.

Junior Member aqworldthunder is on a distinguished road aqworldthunder's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-01-2013 03:11 AM
    Threads

Avatar the Last Airbender - One of the best cartoons that I've seen to date (even adding in the hundreds of anime)
    Generator Rex - Pretty enjoyable and the ending was satisfactory.

There's more but I don't really watch all that much. Legend of Korra is basically a fail so just ignore it.
    Shinobu is the greatest loli. This is the one and only truth in the world.

Junior Member qjackson is on a distinguished road qjackson's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2013 09:51 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: bigthanurs

Serious american animated shows come around very little. Justice League comes to mind for me. There are others but I can't think of any.

Senior Member AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse has a reputation beyond repute AllHopeInEclipse's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2016 10:21 PM
    Threads

Anyone ever hear of the movie Heavy Metal? It's definitely not a comedy, but entertaining. Some of the stories are more "serious" than others.

Forever Bound. DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666 has a reputation beyond repute DeathBlade/13.666's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Dodge Viper SRT10 Beer Movie Ticket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2023 10:57 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ChaosFluffy Steam ID: ChaosFluffy

Heavy Metal 2000 was a bit more serious than the original though.
    Good ol' Dogs never Die, they just keepin on livin' till their time comes.

I was born in AF Chat, molded by it, I didn't see AnimeForum until a few years after I decided to register my username.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

They aren't too common, but there are some examples of shows that aren't comedic AND aren't geared towards minors.

There is Spawn the Animated series which is going for graphic and violent. There is also Aeon flux, which is aiming for avant guard. Huh, looks like hulu has the third season of it (the first two were shorter and often didn't have any speaking, season three appears be rather talky.)

The Ultramarines movie also comes to mind. This AMV features clips from the movie and captures how Games Workshop feels about Space Marines pretty well I think.

And these days there are low budget (or student made) animated movies out there.

But generally speaking in the US the budgets are high enough, the tech is developed enough, and the actors good enough that if something is going to be made for an adult audience it's worth doing live action (or James Cameron's Avatar style or something). For example in Japan a successful Manga might well turn into an anime, but in the us a graphic novel that achieves success like Sin City or Watchmen, will turn into live action.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 12-16-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Member Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah has a reputation beyond repute Ohyeah's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-18-2014 11:11 AM
    Threads

Its ok aslong as it doesnt turn into melodrama, i like it mostly when it is cool and fun. If thats the way with the show, then i fully support that.
    But Disney had some good themes i think in the 90's, the golden age
    Last edited by Ohyeah; 12-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Doll Girl Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura has much to be proud of Toshiro Tazukura's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts One Piece Wanted Poster Soras Keyblade Alice
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2014 03:25 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dragons Rioting PSN ID: ManyuuHikenchou

Heavy metal was a great movie if you like music and

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Do you ever go to Disney movies?

🐮🔪 Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555 is infamous around these parts Animedude5555's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-13-2019 08:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

For cartoons in the PG to very light PG-13 range check out:
    Legend of Korra. Teen Titans (some of this show is quite serious). Batman The Animated Series (later called The Adventures of Batman and Robin). The X-Men (either original X-Men cartoon, or any of the others like "X-Men Evolution", or "Wolverine and the X-Men"). Spider Man (any of the Spider Man cartoons). EXO Squad. Conan the Adventurer. Captain Planet.

For an obvious PG-13 cartoon, check out "War of the Worlds: Goliath".

Then there's outright R rated cartoons like Heavy Metal or Heavy Metal 2000.

For War of the Worlds: Goliath, check out the trailer at http://www.wotw-goliath.com/video_trailer2012.html
    And the DVD for it will be available on Amazon.com tomorrow (April 1st) http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Gol.../dp/B00GB0ORSE
    And the box-art is freaking epic! http://i.imgur.com/cHcTD4q.jpg
    This movie is like Battle Tech mechs versus the Martian mechs!
    Last edited by Animedude5555; 04-01-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    Click the banner to visit my website.

My website is still under construction, so please visit it often to see it as it grows. You may have to press F5 to refresh the page if there's something new that's not showing (in some rare cases, you may have to use Ctrl+F5). If you wish to contact me about my site and are a member of Animeforum, PM me. If you are just a guest visiting Animeforum, please use [email protected]

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Try "Strange Frame" that was a good movie that came out last year.

Junior Member CowBob RanchPants is an unknown quantity at this point CowBob RanchPants's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-30-2014 07:23 PM
    Threads

As mentioned before, a hand full of the action superhero series have been more on the serious side. Batman the Animated Series is a fine (and one of my favorite) example.

Wild Card! SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI has a reputation beyond repute SGI's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Fedora Cylon 1970s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2017 02:05 PM
    Threads

The 3rd (and final) season of Moral Orel comes to mind. This hilarious adult swim show started to slowly deviate from the episodic comedy midwya through season one. This led to a very dramatic and dark finale for season 2, which the executives of Adult Swim loved. They asked the creator, Dino Stamatopoulos to make more episodes like it.

Adult Swim regretted this decision, as the first episode of Season 3 they saw (called "Alone") was possibly the darkest episode of the entire series. This episode three recurring characters who had in some way dealt with a form of sexual abuse. It showed in pretty stark detail how it messed them up in a frank manner. Unfortunately, this episode resulted in Season 3 being cut down to 13 episodes. Still, Season 3 of this show is some of the best American animation I have ever seen.

So yeah, even Adult Swim had serious material.

Part time Adventurer GrimStride is on a distinguished road GrimStride's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2019 10:59 AM
    Threads

As mentioned above there are some pretty decent shows like Young Justice and Legend of Korra

I would also like to add the DC animated movies to the list , which i find to be some of the most entertaining animations that the US have spawned . If you're into super heroes they are definitely a "must see". I recommend "Batman - The dark knight returns"(based on Frank Miller's comics) and "Justice League - The flashpoint paradox"
    There are of course quite a few movies but these really stand out and are a great way to hooked on DC.I highly recommend them

Senior Member .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:. has a reputation beyond repute .:neuko:.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2020 04:24 PM
    Threads

When you say, "Is any American animation serious?", I assume you're asking if there are any situation-based animated shows that are exclusively or predominantly "serious", right? Otherwise I have to agree with other posters that just because an animated show contains humour, that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be serious as well. However, I don't live in America, so my opinion is limited to personal perception of mainstream American animation (as aired on channels native to my country) and general knowledge of American animation.

In general I wouldn't say there are no "serious" American-animated shows, just that the quantity and variety of such shows is woefully disproportionate to that of humour-based American-animated shows, and certainly by comparison to anime. I don't think such an imbalance of animated content can be healthy for American society, anyway.

In America (and to a lesser extent, Europe) there has always been this prevailing social attitude that considers animation as little more than an accessible medium for kids. It's still ingrained into American society today and originates as far back as World War II, where animated shorts were indeed created as means of "escape" from a harsh reality in which there was much depression. The temporary remedy was provided in the form of animated characters, which were typically portrayed as comical anthropomorphic animals; and they were unique in the sense that they were effectively invincible; that is, no matter how brutally they were injured or killed, they could be brought back to life in subsequent episodes. During this period, adults gave themselves license to watch these animated shows among children; which was the general idea, because at a time of depression the human spirit was very fragile. However, after World War II, relative peace returned and American society began to rebuild and restructure itself. Within this process, conservative and Christian attitudes became prevalent (once again), and in turn this would influence the general direction of American animation. In response to an increasingly conservative society that began to deem adult viewing of animation (especially cartoons) as childish, the American animation industry began to refocus its resources on the most commercial and exploitable demographic: children.

The events as stated in the above historical summary has lead to an industry that mainly regards animation as a means to advertise commercial goods within the generally perceived tolerances of American society. Despite being increasingly challenged by more liberal and secular views, American society still remains rooted in Christian values (Old habits die hard, I guess...), hence the majority of Disney/Warner Bros.-animated shows still clinging to religious concepts such as "good and evil", as depicted by "heroes" and "villains".

But from a raw business standpoint, it boils down to the fact that kids are much easier to manipulate and influence than adults; and when it comes to animated shows, the former are more likely to respond to scenes of slapstick humour than say, thought-provoking drama. Even as an adult myself, I can tell you from personal experience that after a long, hard day at work, I'm more likely to watch an animated show that conveys through humour rather than drama (Family Guy, anyone?), because oftentimes I feel too mentally drained to properly process the latter. Given the commercial viability of said dominant demographic (kids), and assuming that I have typical adult viewing habits, it's perhaps any wonder that "serious" American-animated shows even exist. That said, it's difficult to conceive animation beyond humour value when I've been exposed to very little else. Albeit to a lesser extent, the same pattern can be generally observed in other western countries; and in America no less, I suspect that so long as demand for serious animated shows short of a cultural shift doesn't spawn in said dominant demographic, the cynic in me has little faith that a more diverse American animation industry will spring anytime soon.

Still, one can hope: the good news is that the internet has provided a visible platform for independent animation studios, many of which produce animation out of passion and aren't afraid to venture outside the commercially reliable safety net of humour for entertainment. Even the great Disney corporation had to effectively admit that its traditionally-animated movies were aging badly against relatively fresh overseas animated equivalents, especially in an age where American society would be more exposed to alternative cultural views. Even the more local animation studios at the time like Pixar and Dreamworks were effectively making Disney animation appear out of touch with modern American values--which it was, because while other animation studios were adapting to new-world "problems", Disney kept relying the same old tricks to please its core demographic, its image looking increasingly "uncool" until the anime-ish-looking Lilo & Stitch came along. So naturally Disney did what most greedy corporations do to threatening competitors and bought up Pixar; and though admittedly there have been successful releases since the buy-up, time will tell as to whether this was ultimately a good move by Pixar or not. Regardless, the floodgates of world culture are wide open, and Disney doesn't have as much control over the American animation industry (much less its core demographic) as it once did.

But I think I get where you're coming from. Even when an animated show is made for adults, it still tends to rely upon slapstick humour to convey serious situations; and frankly, this commercially-contrived practice is getting rather stale--and why outside of humour I turn to anime instead of American-animated shows. Not that anime isn't primarily targeted at kids and exploits through humour as well; but at least with anime I feel that other demographics (including mine) are taken more seriously, not regarded as an afterthought. And where American animation likes to shut its main demographic away from real-world problems, anime likes to (subtly) expose the same demographic to the same problems and play an active role in Japanese society.

By the way, though you may not believe me (and with good reason from this post), I do love American animation at heart; no really. But it's because I love it so much that I hate what it has become, that, as much as it's achieved it remains short of its potential. So much talent is squandered in the name of old-world commercialism. It's 2014, and 15 years on, I still view The Iron Giant as one of the finest examples of American animation (and though commercially successful, it might have been more so had it not been for the shortsighted marketing campaign by Warner Bros.), and shows that American animation can indeed handle serious themes every bit as potently as anime. It's just too bad that for the most part, the American animation industry is so commercially driven that it barely recognises animation as an art anymore, just a means to advertise extortionately-priced goods based on established animated characters.
    Last edited by .:neuko:.; 07-27-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Last edited by Clayton_n; 09-03-2014 at 07:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information