PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people dislike Asuka?

Hypatia
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I really didnt mind her but i thought that she was a bit too emotionally unstable.

Dark-Sasuke
03-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Asuka's easy to dislike, she's hormonal, defensive, still trying to find herself, always trying to gain her own self worth, while taking out her supressed anger towards shinji, the tip of the trinity. She feels she's one of the support, rather than the main center of attention, which makes her feel insignificant and belittled, which inevitably pushes her further into self hatred, while combined with teenage hormones, fingers begin to point and she takes it out on the outside world, while locking herself in a world she created herself as a defense to not be hurt again. So shes not really designed to be likeable, more to be pitied. But hey, shes my favorite character xP

daft
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Some people dislike Asuka 'cause often at times she can behave like a complete and utter b-word... but hey, we all have our moments when we're like that too. >_>''

apfmh
04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
i havent finished evangelion yet [about 5 or 6 eps to go], but shes certainly not my favourite...she's just not a particularly likeable character. I think Shinji is likeable (though I can also see how he could be considered annoying!) because hes quiet, a bit mysterious and well, the protagonist of the series! Misato [i think thats her name?] is likeable because she's humorous and interesting. Rei is intriguing because she's so so quiet and secretive, there's so much more to her than meets the eye...Asuka is loud, opinionated, pushy...she just comes onto the scene and gets in everyones way! she doesnt annoy me too much but shes defz not my favourite!

Aku no Hikari
06-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't like Asuka not because she's emotionally unstable or something like that. I just don't like people who are doing everything they do only to prove themselves to others. AT ALL.

Her emotional instability comes as second reason. But it's mainly caused by her really bad childhood experiences. So I can sympathize with her, and tolerate her behavior (to some extent at least). She only needs to be understood. That, and she needs to let go of her XBOX-HUEG ego.

Not saying that I'd really like her after that though. But at least I wouldn't dislike her.

xMEx
07-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I thought she was alright but as the story went on I liked her less and less kind of sad watching her go out of control.

TsukiLuna125
07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Asuka has a personality that tend to rub off badly on others. She's loud, and throws out accusations at people that she doesn't usually mean or think about. This annoys people. Also, she often brags about things, like that she is very good at piloting Evangelion. However, she hardly ever lives up to her claims, like how she always gets knocked out while fighting an Angel, and Shinji needs to take over the operation. but then again, this happens to Rei too, so maybe the writers are just sexist.

Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan
08-19-2010, 01:22 AM
She was the only character I didn't hate by the end of the show. And even then, I feel really sorry for her. I don't really like her myself, but by comparison to other characters like her, she's one of the better ones.

Knightmare
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Asuka was probably my favorite character in the show I thought she was very interesting and in regards to being unstable all three of the pilots had serious issues.

Blackmist556
08-25-2010, 12:41 AM
she just a ***** all the time.
1 minute she nice and like shinji and next minute she want him to die.
***** ***** ***** *****!
Btw i hate shinji for being a coward all time f++king time! (just be a man shinji)

Brotha Yasuji
10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Because she's a :censored:.

Hikarin
10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I have no idea honestly. I have no problem with her, I actually like the character! =0 I don't understand it either....

Shinn Kamiyra
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Meh, Asuka is just too lacking in her feelings of self-worth; constantly depending upon her ability as an Eva pilot, to attain the respect and attention of others. Given that if she's able to overcome this and grow more into her own as both a human and a respectable woman, I feel I could like her a lot better. As a matter of fact, I think she was starting to do just that during the second Eva movie; but... well, for those of you that have seen it, you know what happened. v_v

At the moment, I'm reserving my final judgment on Asuka 'till we see what the future movies bring to the table.

Hikarin
10-02-2010, 10:37 PM
I think the emotional imbalance is valuable to the story and it really gives her character and mixes it up^^ It's not supposed to be a la-di-da kind of series.

Shinn Kamiyra
10-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I think the emotional imbalance is valuable to the story and it really gives her character and mixes it up^^ It's not supposed to be a la-di-da kind of series.

As a part of the story, I have to agree with you in that it did add a certain element of upset to it. However, I think what a lot of people take issue with with the character of Asuka is that her problems were never really resolved in either the anime or the movie. So it's not so much that she could be annoying and a bit of a ***** at times; but it's just that one looks forward to the point in the story where one can begin to move past that and become a stronger, more reliable character that we can relate and perhaps even admire in a sense.

Hikarin
10-02-2010, 11:52 PM
As a part of the story, I have to agree with you in that it did add a certain element of upset to it. However, I think what a lot of people take issue with with the character of Asuka is that her problems were never really resolved in either the anime or the movie. So it's not so much that she could be annoying and a bit of a ***** at times; but it's just that one looks forward to the point in the story where one can begin to move past that and become a stronger, more reliable character that we can relate and perhaps even admire in a sense.

Hmm.... I suppose so.... I don't know, maybe they just didn't think that far? You know though, not everyone's life has a happy ending -_-

Shinn Kamiyra
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Hmm.... I suppose so.... I don't know, maybe they just didn't think that far? You know though, not everyone's life has a happy ending -_-

Given the depth of detail and story that Evangelion is known for, I seriously doubt that such a thing wasn't thought through; and, personally, I think it's unresolved issues such as that that helped to prompt the remake of the series into the current movies.

With regards to Asuka though, I'm not asking for a happy ending. If she somehow ends up with Shinji at the end of the new movie series, that's great. If not, I can live with that. What I, and I think a good deal of the other Evangelion fanbase, are hoping for is a further development of her character past the self-conscious shell of a girl that she is into a stronger woman. Asuka's character has so backstory to it and emotional instability that took up a good chunk of the storyline, it doesn't make sense that she doesn't come to a point in the story where she has to face down her past and make a choice.

Hikarin
10-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I think I can agree on that. She never did come off as having strength and she could use a little more of it. It's not an easy thing to obtain though.

The Archangel
10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Lol, i'm sorry... am i really expected to take this topic seriously? I mean even the title is just...

Different people have different opinions, and as such some will like certain things that others will not.

*MayMay*
03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
I love Asuka..! :3 What's not to like about her? She's emotional but instead of moping around and trying to gain people's pity she tries to prove otherwise by acting tough and independant. She isn't a *ahem* witch, she's trying to protect herself from falling apart like the rest of the (weaker) pilots. :3 She's a good contrast to Rei because she is so outspoken and feisty, and Shinji because she's bossy and confident. I don't think she would have fit into the anime as well with any other personality, so what does it matter if she's a little rough around the edges? Perfect characters are boring and predictable...Show me some emotional instability and THAT'S a character I'm going to fall for. <3 :D

Naughty Dog
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
From what i've read in the manga, she's... well... Like a female me. She steals Shinji's first kiss and makes it pretty insufferable for him, and she's usually PMSing all the time. I sorta sympathise with the poor guy.

animeyay
03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Oops, when I saw the title "Why do some people dislike Asuka" on the Mecha board, I thought it was about Shinn Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny, and was about to go on a rampage about how he was an annoyingly unruly brat, and that was when I realized that this thread is actually about someone from Evangelion (which I stopped watching after 2 or 3 episodes because I found it hard to suppress my urge to punch Shinji, and it would be bad if I did since I was too broke to buy a replacement computer...)

Anyway, sorry for my off-topicness, ehe

html_rulezd00d
04-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Asuka is for shure my fav from eva i mean she is very unstable and is very self absorbed.. but i dont see how any one could say rei is any better shes pretty creppy and ...shinji come on the guys a jabroni!

MeAndMyFriends
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
People dislike Asuka because of er brazen and egotistical nature. I assume that these people don't see past that to see that she is really a scared and weak character.

mikkitheninja
08-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Asuka shouldn't be taken at face value. She comes across as arrogant, but really she's just overcompensating for her low self esteem. Many of her actions can be misinterperated, but episode 22 really clears up a lot. I think she is the most relatable out of all the characters. Acting happy in public, and being sad in private, I think everyone can relate to that, to a certain extent.

Simphoni
08-19-2011, 02:19 PM
To be honest.............I still think I like Asuka
She's just sorta like me......I've gotta couple problems in life and she has her own way of dealing with them

Then again............I've never seen any Evangelion movie b4
Could explain a few things ^^

Movie Dave
08-19-2011, 06:27 PM
The same reason why I hate most of the characters apart from 2 of 'em. THEY ARE ALL SO FREAKING EMO!!! i just want to slap some sense into them and say: Yeah so no one loves you... GET OVER IT AND FIND SOME ONE!!!

Oren
10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Well all the kids, if not most adults as well are emotionally unstable in there own way.

Ninjatroxx
11-02-2011, 04:14 PM
asuka is everything you need in a fiancee...

Infinite Rave
11-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Some people dislike Asuka 'cause often at times she can behave like a complete and utter b-word... but hey, we all have our moments when we're like that too. >_>''

Exactly.
But I don't dislike her, me thinks shes fiery and I dig the red heads. >:3

Shikinami_
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I can understand why some people dislike her, but she's gone through some emotionally scarring experiences and I cannot blame her, she is in her teens, and well....we've all been there. It would only make sense that she is emotionally unstable but, that's her, I love her character.

solidarmor
11-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I can understand why some people dislike her, but she's gone through some emotionally scarring experiences and I cannot blame her, she is in her teens, and well....we've all been there. It would only make sense that she is emotionally unstable but, that's her, I love her character.

What high school girl Asuka's age is going to be in her right mind? Especially after all of the emotional turmoil beat down, her life took in the 'original' series. But, pushing that aside, I really think Shinji was filling a void she was needing to be filled. But, like all tomboys she wasn't going to lose to him.

Frankly, I thought she was hot...and needed to be tamed like any wild pony. lol

Shikinami_
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
What high school girl Asuka's age is going to be in her right mind? Especially after all of the emotional turmoil beat down, her life took in the 'original' series. But, pushing that aside, I really think Shinji was filling a void she was needing to be filled. But, like all tomboys she wasn't going to lose to him.

Frankly, I thought she was hot...and needed to be tamed like any wild pony. lol

This exactly, all the girls I knew in high school were FAR from normal....
I love Asuka, I always have and I always will....
sadly, this makes me a pedo bear, cos when I'm 40 she'll still be 14 q_q

solidarmor
11-20-2011, 10:02 PM
This exactly, all the girls I knew in high school were FAR from normal....
I love Asuka, I always have and I always will....
sadly, this makes me a pedo bear, cos when I'm 40 she'll still be 14 q_q

I laughed "donkey" off with that last sentence. You never know, there could be a 'future' episode where she's older? And really like your avatar, and sig. *2 thumbs up*

Shikinami_
11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I laughed "donkey" off with that last sentence. You never know, there could be a 'future' episode where she's older? And really like your avatar, and sig. *2 thumbs up*

If they made a second season somehow from the ending the TV series gave us.....I will so INCREDIBLY mind blown, because I CANNOT think of ANY way you can salvage a second season, heck, I don't think you can make a OVA with that either!
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
You can only imagine how incredibly confused I was when I first watched that.

solidarmor
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
If they made a second season somehow from the ending the TV series gave us.....I will so INCREDIBLY mind blown, because I CANNOT think of ANY way you can salvage a second season, heck, I don't think you can make a OVA with that either!
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
You can only imagine how incredibly confused I was when I first watched that.

You mean "End of Eva", right? I didn't get it either...even though a few friends and I discussed it, and came to the same conclusion that Shinji, uh...had a "moment" after trying to choke out Asuka. Which I thought was really messed up.

Hopefully, the remake revamp will clear up a lot of questions not answered in the original.

Shikinami_
11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
You mean "End of Eva", right? I didn't get it either...even though a few friends and I discussed it, and came to the same conclusion that Shinji, uh...had a "moment" after trying to choke out Asuka. Which I thought was really messed up.

Hopefully, the remake revamp will clear up a lot of questions not answered in the original.

Yeah, the TV series ending and The End of Evangelion endings were kinda....HUH?
I like the Rebuild a bit more than the original can't wait for Q
should probably not too off topic from this threads original post xD

I LOVE ASUKA! DONT DISLIKE HER...no wait, DO IT THEN SHE CAN BE ALL MINE

solidarmor
11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I like her...the mental ones are the best! lol

Kaitou Ace
11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
She has her moments when she really shines, but she is rather annoying for at least a third of her on-screen time, so I can see why people don't like her.

She does a decent job piloting her EvaUnlike a certain other pilot who shall not be named. But is totally Shinji.
Hey! As for Asuka I think she's really mean to me a lot more then is called for.
Only because you're spineless! Baka!
I have no problems with her in the field

And thats what her co-workers think.

You'd ask PenPen but leave me out completely?!

Tune in next time!

Shikinami_
11-21-2011, 09:25 PM
She has her moments when she really shines, but she is rather annoying for at least a third of her on-screen time, so I can see why people don't like her.

She does a decent job piloting her EvaUnlike a certain other pilot who shall not be named. But is totally Shinji.
Hey! As for Asuka I think she's really mean to me a lot more then is called for.
Only because you're spineless! Baka!
I have no problems with her in the field

And thats what her co-workers think.

You'd ask PenPen but leave me out completely?!

Tune in next time!

LOL, so much win

CCpotter
12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
She is, actually, a very poor girl with horrible childhood, which makes her very emotional and incomplete in characters, she is the kind of person who always tend to protect herself from others by proving she is the best. And this, is exactly a reflection of what majority Japanese were thinking at that time.

pleasant_disorder
03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Because her character is meant to reflect Western culture, Asuka's personality is loud and boisterous and sometimes VERY grating. To me, she's like the American's that go to a country overseas for vacation, and they expect everyone there to speak English.

I like Asuka more than Shinji, but not by much. I agree that the characters are emo beyond_birthday, but for the time period this anime was made, the characters were innovative. Most mecha-based anime have those generic, "Imma get in my mecha and beat some butt!" With Evangelion, you actually deal with the moral quandaries behind using children (remember, they're only fourteen) to protect the world. Plus, a kid isn't going to react to combat the way an adult would. Of course Shinji's whiny and scared...he's fourteen. Asuka is in your face and loud and obnoxious because....once again...she's fourteen.

I think they did a good job of capturing what that age is really like. I know I was a crybaby and loud and annoying at fourteen.

Jasanime
03-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I strongly dislike Asuka. Yes she has issues and insecurities and emotional problems, but WHO DOESN'T!? It doesn't justify her bratty behaviour. She's upset cos no-one loves her/wants her, so she pushes away the people that might actually try to love her? That makes sense (sarcasm). Also she is just plain vulgar and un-lady-like.

pleasant_disorder
03-18-2012, 01:16 AM
I strongly dislike Asuka. Yes she has issues and insecurities and emotional problems, but WHO DOESN'T!? It doesn't justify her bratty behaviour. She's upset cos no-one loves her/wants her, so she pushes away the people that might actually try to love her? That makes sense (sarcasm). Also she is just plain vulgar and un-lady-like.

I dunno if I agree. Considering the anime's intense look at psycho-analysis, I think Asuka's personality definitely justifies the way she treats people. Individuals who are pushed away by family or other important people in their lives often react the same way Asuka does: they push away the people who treat them with kindness and love because they don't believe the deserve them, and usually embrace the ones that treat them like crap. Her unlady-like-ness can be seen as a cry for attention and help. I think she's a very real character in this sense, just heavily flawed.

Jasanime
03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
I dunno if I agree. Considering the anime's intense look at psycho-analysis, I think Asuka's personality definitely justifies the way she treats people. Individuals who are pushed away by family or other important people in their lives often react the same way Asuka does: they push away the people who treat them with kindness and love because they don't believe the deserve them, and usually embrace the ones that treat them like crap. Her unlady-like-ness can be seen as a cry for attention and help. I think she's a very real character in this sense, just heavily flawed.

Hmmm.. you definitely see her differently than I do. You have a point, I mean I know her character is fitting for the kind of show that it is. I just can't relate to her at all so she just bugs me. I'm a big fan of Rai though!

pleasant_disorder
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Hmmm.. you definitely see her differently than I do. You have a point, I mean I know her character is fitting for the kind of show that it is. I just can't relate to her at all so she just bugs me. I'm a big fan of Rai though!

I'm a much bigger fan of Rai than Asuka as well. :)

Shibito
03-22-2012, 05:06 AM
First off I think I feel into heaven by now joining this site though im like 100 years late >.<;;....But yeah Asuka will have her moments but All in all she has trouble showing how she really is. If someone else has already said this sorry XD didn't read everything in the post.

"When Asuka says she hates Shinji, there's a few things that are part of the reason she acts like that: 1.) She's a Tsundere, which basically means a girl who puts up a tough front, because she's afraid of being hurt if she admits she cares about someone. 2.) She really hates herself underneath her Inferiority Superiority Complex (acting like you're better than others, to hide your fear you're actually worthless), and she's afraid Shinji will think she's a joke once he learns that, and 3.) Shinji frustrates her because he won't do things she wants badly ( mostly being held and comforted ) that she's too afraid to ask for as it'll make her feel weak."

Even though she has these problems once you look past it shes a great character. I love Asuka and shes my favorite Character on the show as well as the Re-made movies. which NEED TO HURRY THE **** UP!!!!.... um... :sweatdrop -cough- yeah.

Volta
03-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Asuka's character was created to be hated. But she does have her shining moments, most notably in EoE.

Shibito
03-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Yeah, the TV series ending and The End of Evangelion endings were kinda....HUH?
I like the Rebuild a bit more than the original can't wait for Q
should probably not too off topic from this threads original post xD

I LOVE ASUKA! DONT DISLIKE HER...no wait, DO IT THEN SHE CAN BE ALL MINE

You sir Have to fight her for me -Evil glare- MY ASUKA!!!!

pleasant_disorder
04-24-2012, 02:17 AM
People dislike Asuka because of er brazen and egotistical nature. I assume that these people don't see past that to see that she is really a scared and weak character.

It's true that she's "scared and weak", but I think the dislike for Asuka spans from the fact that you find this out a little late in the series, which causes her character to be very unsympathetic to most people. It would have been nice to know what her childhood had been like a little earlier on. Most of the series she just seems like a bratty, irritating kid.

And, as Volta mentioned, she's just meant to be hated until end of the series. It sets you up for the whole, "Oh crap, she acts like this, but she's just a scared, little kid on the inside. It's all a front!" moment. I think what the director/producer (or whomever) did here is an ingenious move; however, I also think Asuka's character kills the genius. She's just too unlikeable. To be honest, I was so happy when Shinji started choking her. XD

Although I can defend the way her character acts, that doesn't mean I like her character. I think she could have been tweaked to be better.

Clayton_n
06-30-2012, 05:33 PM
it's depressing. The guy who made it went nuts.

Allan53
11-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I thought she did a good job of embodying a lot of the themes and ideas of the show, that how people act is only the tip of the iceberg if you want to understand them: their motivations and issues are often under the surface and not easily apparent.

With Shinji, you see a lot of his psyche, and you see enough of Rei's to get an idea, and even if you don't she's not the sort of person that tends to bug people. But Auska tends to be irritating and you don't really get to understand where she's coming from until near the end, at which point your opinion of her tends to be already set. But she does form a good example of most of the characters in the show: having irritating personality traits, but usually well-motivated and understandable if you knew them better. Unfortunately, you don't get to know the majority to the same degree you get to know Shinji and Rei.

Laursuka
01-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I loved Asuka as a character. I though that she was just a very headstrong character put into the series in order to keep things interesting considering Shinji and Rei tend to be depressed looking most of the time :P but as the series went on you (minor plot spoiler ahead) learn why she is so loud and "angry" most of the time and when I found out the reason why she is I looked at her in a very different way. Changes become apparent in her as well as the series comes to an end especially in "End of Evangelion".

First post :P