PDA

View Full Version : Why did you watch eva

Hypatia
02-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Why did you watch Neon genesis Evangelion.
I was jst watching randam anime and i can across it and liked it.

Funkgun
02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
It was already being trumpeted upon it's release in the states. Back in those days I sometimes took a chance on a show and bought tapes as they were released.

I personally was happy with the decision. There are plenty of other shows I bought back then, that are no longer talked about like this series. I have since bought it in two other releases. The first DVD and now the platinum version (it was on sale)
I have yet to pick up the Funi-release of 1.0 movie.

小美ドクロchan
02-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I watched Eva because everybody and their mom watched Eva and it just seemed like "Your otaku lifestyle is incomplete unless you watch Eva!!" XD
I saw the fanparody "ReDeath" before finishing Eva. That was.....interesting. XD It's a lot funnier now that I got to know everybody. All they do is make fun of the characters. XD

foryouranime
02-25-2010, 07:08 AM
I watched Eva back when I was first into anime and was watching ANYTHING. It was really popular at the time, but I didn't like it ^_^; It took me a long while to warm up to it.

teeronline
03-03-2010, 02:52 PM
there'r plenty reasons for it, #1 for me was probably the concept, i was blew away when I was told the robots were practically human beings inside, it wasn't gears and machinery but blood and muscles within the metaloid armour. it just seem so sick to me at the time being. Shinji was wimp, thats probably another reason not really a conventional type hero I guess that stands out from other shows. Rei was like man's cigerette, specially in 1.0 my god it had my nose bleedin.

Overall its must see if you had not

Käras
03-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I originally watched it because of all the hype it got. I kept hearing about it over and over, and I after talking my dad into getting netflix was I finally able to see it. But overall, I didn't like it. I hate whiny characters like shinji, that are just too emotionally, useally for what seems to me, no reason. And those scenes where they show the same thing for like 5 min seriously got on my nerves. But there was many good parts, but it still wasn't something I liked. If that 1.0 is better, ill definatly see about watching it again. Everything deserves a second chance. (except Gantz...)

The Butcher
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I started watching it Last Summer(because of hype).I watched the first two episodes.I could not take Shinji being in that Anime,so I quit.

teeronline
03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
well if you dont like the show save yourself time 1.0 is practically the same but digitally remastered the plot remains same

it's obviously Gainax was playing the odd when they decided to make NGE, it wasnt meant to be conventional how many heros in animation shows gave you whiny hero? close to zero, but thats exactly what NGE was about, proved to the world it could work that heros r not necessary always cut out and brave and fearless by nature, its fate that chooses hero but not the hero resume himself in, this show is just that kindda typical example when the world just needed the little fate happening on whiny Shinji who also hated to work for his father who only love his btch and treated him like a dog on road. at the end he save the world (well.. per se!) and last time i check we still give credentials to its-not-who-you-are-but-what-you-do-define-yourself, right? so regardless hes wimp he still the person save the world, the end.

the biblical referencing in this anime was awesome too btw

daft
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
The coolest girl that went to my middle school wore a NERV logo t-shirt, so I asked her what that was all about, and yeah...

apfmh
03-21-2010, 03:01 AM
I just started watching it [i think im 5 eps on] and i started watching it a while ago on youtube but stopped for some reason, i can't remember how it got my attention, but i love it! I usuallyy like the more supernatural anime's than the big machines and robots, but i really love eva! it's done so well, and has quite a deep emotionality to it as well, perhaps why i like it so!

-Ro-
04-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I watched eva because I saw the eva vids at the video store. I thought the song was good anyway. I stopped at episode 5 because he was a dufous. But I do get the underdog thing. Does it get better?

AnimeFreak741
04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
I just watched it because my brother said it was badass and I ended up liking it.

alexis1
06-19-2010, 03:35 AM
I started watching it Last Summer(because of hype).I watched the first two episodes.I could not take Shinji being in that Anime,so I quit.

but me I've started watching last year, I found out that it was an awesome movie.

MangaFanGuy
06-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I watched having had all kinds of people tell me it was awesome/greatest ever/must watch etc
And I hated it
Holy Hellllll did Shinji annoy the living heck outta me

So I stopped
A friend of mine on anouther site told me to stick with it past the initial episodes as it gets better
this coincided with me finding a cheap copy of 1.0
So I watched that (Some of the more whiny Shinji bits are not present I swear) and sorta went ok i'll give it a second shot

I watched the whole series this time
Beginning: Shinji annoys
Middle: Actually found myself enjoying it as Shinji gets less annoying overall and the other characters arrive and start to gel
End: WTF?? What happened to the end?

Got annoyed
but was told to watch the End of Evangelion movie
End of Evangelion: Good finally get more out of the end but Shinji was just annoying again

The Butcher
06-20-2010, 12:07 AM
but me I've started watching last year, I found out that it was an awesome movie.
If the movie is any different I will probably give it a try.

Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan
08-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I've seen it once, never going to watch it again. It was a good series, but I hated almost all the characters by the end, and to me, the message was stupid and applies more to a people with conceited personalities.

CapnJack
08-19-2010, 04:04 AM
I first heard about NGE in high school when it was still in Japan. I knew it had a growing fanbase but didnt know much until it came to the US on AdultSwim. I watched it just like I would watch every other series on AS. I watched out of interest. It was really well done; up to the end episode anyways. At least the alternate movie had a more understanding and exceptable ending.

SigmaSD
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I watched it because my brother said it was awesome, even though he didn't understand any of it.

玲華.
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
I watched it because my brother said it was awesome, even though he didn't understand any of it.

It is a little hard to understand at first. Like Adam and Lilith.

I happened to catch 1.0 on a local TV channel, then I thought: 'This is awesome.' But that was still pretty random. So I was in band when I wrote 'Evangelion!!!' in katakana on a list of warm-ups, it got passed around and then discovered by another Eva-loving member. 2.0 just happened to come into cinemas at the time, so we caught it together and she started talking about the original series, which I Had Not Watched. I guess it interested me, so a few months ago on a trip to Malaysia I happen to see the Eva series. So I bought it, and watched it. I don't regret it at all. Shinji's...spinelessness, you may call it, is accountable for.

As for the movies, they combined all the series, I guess. The quality of the animation is definitely better, and the characters are probably more cheerful. Minor quibble. They changed Asuka's last name.

Ads
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Saw it years ago on local TV though it was good.
And yeah shinji is a whimp, seriously dude the babes love you, just save the world and get a girl :)

I have enjoyed teknoman and vandread better but this is still good.

Knightmare
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I watched it because of the Hype surrounding it and enjoyed it. I think it was over hyped IMO sure it was unique but the ending was just crazy.

Linkax9
09-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I watched eva because i like mecha anime, then when i watched i thought it had a interesting story

Bisoux
09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
My teacher made a list of recommended anime and NGE happened to be on it.

Saxima
09-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Throughout the time I watched it, I never even knew its name because, coinicidentally, I always missed the opening. But I watched it because it was Mecha, and it was something to do on a Saturday.

Panda-chan31
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
My former anime guru knew what type of animes I liked better then I knew myself back then, so he suggested that I watch it. He also told me to pay close attention, as back then I had a hard time grasping the real concept of the anime.

Still not sure if I fully understand it, but then again I haven't watched the series in a long time. But it still holds as a favorite of mine. Even if some of the characters are irritating beyond belief.

Still waiting on the live action movie though. I keep hearing rumors, and I hear it's finally in production now... I hope so.

truthillusion
11-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Someone in another anime based forum told me that I'm just some "Evangelion fanfaggot that'll love anything Gainax shat out." That was a couple days ago. On the same very day I began watching Eva to see if he's right.

Ninjatroxx
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
first time:
i needed some atrillery ^^ for my classmates
find up something newe >< a 100 times, then say one quote from evangelion

second time: a person i knew got cancer, and i turned to evangelion after a 5 year break to find gifts for my friend so she could fight cancer on the television

third time: for kicking in a face, i ended up with the AT field theory of removeing a car from a person's brain with saying: you dont have a chance

generally for all the times: evangellion rly screws with ur head, if ur on a low information level or a hgigh information lvl.... it's just outstanding

CaptainFloyd
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I heard about it from the internet group of Mega64. On their podcast they had talked about it multiple times so i thought i should watch it. Mostly i felt that i should though because of one of the guys in the group Shawn over reacted at what the guys said to him when they asked about how much he like the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4txCOAP824

This made me laugh so much after i watched the series lol

Videogamer555
11-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I watched Evangelion because I like mecha action.

Shikinami_
11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I ended up watching because my brothers were watching when I was younger.
Sure, all the biblical stuff flew right over my head back then, but it was AWESOME.
Now, I watch it because, I like how the story and the meaning behind it is something that is still being torn apart to try to understand what the theme is and what the characters are there for and what's what, it's a very debatable anime, and that's why I love it.

CCpotter
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I watched it for the first when i was like 7 or 8, and this is the best anime except Transformer in China at the time, i remember i was shocked when i took my first look at it. Then i'm unable to get rid of it

Multigrain
01-09-2012, 01:03 AM
I saw it when I was around that age, too. The dub was airing on SBS (an aussie channel which shows foreign movies late at night), and I saw the infamous Naked!Rei and Adam!Gendo scene. I initially watched for the bewbs, but then... Well, you know. The mindscrew.

From that moment I was hooked. I ended up watching the whole series and then eventually the Rebuild movies.

Hidden
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I think it was the second anime that I watched, and after watching what seems like many series to me, it is still my favourite. I initially watched Gundam Wing and liked mecha in general having been a massive fan of the Armoured Core series, so a friend recommended this to me and it was a done deal.

pleasant_disorder
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
My older brother got me into most of the anime that I really like today. He said that the end would, "really mess with your head". I actually watched Serial Experiments: Lain prior to Evangelion, so I already had a love for the psychological anime. My brother bought the first two or three DVDs. I must have watched those DVDs about a thousand times. The anime lay dormant in my head for years before I finally finished it.

Shibito
03-22-2012, 05:15 AM
At first I didn't know what Eva was. But my friend insisted we watch it. So one day we sat there with a few friends and watched the re-made movies on blue-ray :biggrin:(such beauty there was that day) And we watched both. Then One day I thought. This is the re-make. How is the original one. And I downloaded and To this day I still have and it remains the only anime I have not deleted off of my Laptop.

azu25
07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I saw it advertised in the back of a magazine years ago but didn't know what it was, then found out it was Evangelion after i properly got into anime, so bought the platinum tin.

GuiltySpark
02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
I watched NGE because of a music video I saw on youtube. It was Engel by Rammstien. I thought the effort that must have been put into this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQaixvlMwo to sync so many clips so seamlessly to the lyrics of the video must have meant this show was something that meant a lot to the creator of the video.

On top of that it was love at first sight for me and Asuka. The video showed her intensity as a Pilot of EVA and her beauty as a human being. I loved her vicious attitude and indomitable will. So I thought, I will watch that show. Little did I know I would come to love the show for far more than Asuka (I actually like Misato more shes more fun) the action of the battles, the biblical references at every explosion and the depth and development of all the characters sucked me into a world I am thankful to be trapped in.

And even though I love NGE a great deal its not a show I recommend to many people. I think the philosophical aspects of the show are way above most people's grasp (am I arrogant for thinking that?) and its pretty sad. I dont think NGE is an Anime many people should watch if they are just beginning to watch Anime.

Kira477
02-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Well, I only watched it because my friend recommended it to me and I had the time anyway, so I thought, why not?
I didn't know how I got through the first 11 episodes but I got hooked onto it from episode 12 onwards.

Episode 24 is my favourite episode of all time since there's Kaworu! :D

And then I got a lil disappointed with Episode 25 and 26, but its quite interesting actually since its the first time I ever saw an ending like this.

EoE is just wow, I'll admit, it got quite confusing for me and I never truly understood the ending.

After that, I watched the Rebuild 1.0 and 2.0 and although 1.0 was ok, but 2.0 is just badass!
I liked the ending of 2.0 ALOT for a variety of reasons. It'd probably take an essay to explain why, so I'll just leave it as 'variety of reasons'.

greyskies
04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
I first saw AMV's about it, just liked the vids, didn't really know about the show. Then when reading the top anime ever list, I saw it on the top 5. When I got netflix, I decided to finally give it a chance. Loved it. Might watch it again soon actually. Even though I hated the main character, he represented what I always wanted in how an unsuspecting hero was supposed to be like, and I hated him.

when showing the movie to a friend, I remember him saying "thanks, nightmares are exactly what I needed tonight." LOL

darksky967
04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
i'm not sure why I started watching it, but when I DID watch it, it was insanely captivating, it is like no other anime i've seen, it gave me a special feeling while watching it..

it must have been the time and the moment, i wasn't mentally well, hadn't seen any friends in months and had problems with my emotions.. it was then when i began watching NGE, I got sucked in straight away and became really connected with the characters

Toshiro Tazukura
03-21-2014, 11:57 PM
That anime is a total mind jack

nthen
05-25-2014, 09:13 PM
i looked it up online once never heard of it at first then realized its pretty cool

xatwn
06-05-2014, 04:51 AM
My thankfulness & appreciation .

http://www.soran.edu.iq