PDA

View Full Version : Berserk Anime/Manga?

vassock
01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
So I finished watching Berserk and I must say it's one of the best anime's I've ever seen. I'd go as far as to say that it rivals Evangelion. Way better than Kenshin, anyway. However, the ending (after the credits of the final episode) is one of the most extreme cliffhangers ever.

It's been so long since the Berserk anime (1997) that I don't think anymore is going to be made, ever. So what is the best way to know what happened? Is it the manga? Is the manga finished and translated into English? Does it differ from the anime (the golden arc part, obviously)? Is there some explanation as to how Guts escaped at the end?

Gjallarhorn
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
The manga started in 1988, and it is still ongoing.

There is presently 35 volumes published in Japan, and I believe 33 in America. The anime only covered volumes 3 through 13, and it left out a lot of the material during those volumes.

The Berserk anime is good, but there is no comparison to the manga.

Diocletian
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I probably won't read a lot more of the manga since I hear it gets really slow and painful. Rumor has it there's a lot of rape and dismemberment in the manga.

One upside the anime has is Gattsu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evrYyMePyYY). I think that song really made scenes a lot more dramatic and have more of an impact.

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:01 PM
The manga started in 1988, and it is still ongoing.

There is presently 35 volumes published in Japan, and I believe 33 in America. The anime only covered volumes 3 through 13, and it left out a lot of the material during those volumes.

The Berserk anime is good, but there is no comparison to the manga.

I took a look at some of the manga and year it looks like they seriously trimmed the anime. But how good (quality) is the manga? I've never read one. From the looks of it, the appearance of characters is mostly true. But since it's been going on for so long, I do have to ask about the quality. Does it stay as interesting as the parts that are in the golden age arc?

More importantly, does it actually resolve the anime's plot?

Gjallarhorn
01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
It's not that it's slow, so much as the actual publication is slow. Supposedly it's a bi-monthly series, but Miura works in "bursts", wherein he'll be on schedule for a 2-3 months, and then just disappear off the face of the planet for half a year or so.

So far, two causes of this are known:

1. The studio that assists him in drawing it, the backgrounds mostly, costs a lot of money, and

2. He's a raving iDOLM@STER addict.

Also, yes, anatomically correct gore and dismemberment, torture, rape, murder, genocide, and war are fairly common, especially in the ~10 volumes following the end of the Golden Age arc.

As for resolution of the anime's plot, the entirety of the anime's plot is a flashback. The actual story of Berserk is the resolution of the events of the flashback, and Guts' quest to kill Griffith (among a growing number of things).

In terms of quality of the story, you won't find much better.

Diocletian
01-18-2010, 07:09 PM
What level of rape? Is it the type of rape in Wicked City where every woman gets raped except the main character or the level of rape where even Casca is going to get it? This question sounds like a joke but I'm serious. I'm not going to go beyond volume 13 if even Casca gets raped.

Gjallarhorn
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
What level of rape? Is it the type of rape in Wicked City where every woman gets raped except the main character or the level of rape where even Casca is going to get it? This question sounds like a joke but I'm serious. I'm not going to go beyond volume 13 if even Casca gets raped.

There's actually only a few instance of rape, two of which constitute large spoilers. Very large spoilers.

Beware the following spoiler. It is a tremendous plot point. In all honesty, I advise neither of you to read it.
Something happens, everyone in the Band of the Hawk is slaughtered by Griffith and a horde of demons (legit demons, none of those typical anime-style pansy demons). Griffith rapes Casca, and this is really the exploding point of the story...really, everything begins with this. She represses it, and thus can't speak and only retains the mentality of a child, and a deep fear of Guts. Oh, right, and she's impregnated with a demon-thing-that-isn't-a-child. This is Guts primary motivation for wanting to kill Griffith, along with the slaughter of the Band of the Hawk.

Granted, this is an extremely dumbed-down explanation.

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Also, yes, anatomically correct gore and dismemberment, torture, rape, murder, genocide, and war are fairly common, especially in the ~10 volumes following the end of the Golden Age arc.

As for resolution of the anime's plot, the entirety of the anime's plot is a flashback. The actual story of Berserk is the resolution of the events of the flashback, and Guts' quest to kill Griffith (among a growing number of things).

In terms of quality of the story, you won't find much better.

Interesting. The anime starts with Guts in the future, with one arm/eye and he kills those guys who were screwing around with that girl. Then he kills that snake demon. After that, he goes to the woods and has the flashback. So I'm not really sure what you mean. I assume that the resolution occurs after the beginning of the anime (before he gets the flashback).

Does Guts spend the entire time after the golden age (end of anime) just trying to kill Griffith? I'm assuming that this is his ultimate goal. Are you saying that they managed to make so many volumes after the golden age, where he's killing henchman after henchman, and none of it is filler?

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:22 PM
There's actually only a few instance of rape, two of which constitute large spoilers. Very large spoilers.

Beware the following spoiler. It is a tremendous plot point. In all honesty, I advise neither of you to read it.
Something happens, everyone in the Band of the Hawk is slaughtered by Griffith and a horde of demons (legit demons, none of those typical anime-style pansy demons). Griffith rapes Casca, and this is really the exploding point of the story...really, everything begins with this. She represses it, and thus can't speak and only retains the mentality of a child, and a deep fear of Guts. Oh, right, and she's impregnated with a demon-thing-that-isn't-a-child. This is Guts primary motivation for wanting to kill Griffith, along with the slaughter of the Band of the Hawk.

Granted, this is an extremely dumbed-down explanation.

Well, half of this happens at the end of the anime. The rape occurs at the end of the anime, but the rest of the stuff is not mentioned. Is that because it happens later or because they left it out?

Diocletian
01-18-2010, 07:24 PM
I still have three episodes of the anime left and I need to go and order volumes of the manga RIGHT NOW!

I always hated Griffith. I lost all respect for him once I saw that he slept with some big king for money.

Gjallarhorn
01-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Interesting. The anime starts with Guts in the future, with one arm/eye and he kills those guys who were screwing around with that girl. Then he kills that snake demon. After that, he goes to the woods and has the flashback. So I'm not really sure what you mean. I assume that the resolution occurs after the beginning of the anime (before he gets the flashback).

Does Guts spend the entire time after the golden age (end of anime) just trying to kill Griffith? I'm assuming that this is his ultimate goal. Are you saying that they managed to make so many volumes after the golden age, where he's killing henchman after henchman, and none of it is filler?

It happens like this:

1. Guts in the "present", kills snake demon thing, bla bla bla.
2. Golden Age Arc (flashback)
3. Return to the present (just after #1), follow's Guts quest to save himself and kill Griffith and God Hand.

And, no, there is a lot of things that happen after the Golden Age arc. Griffith doesn't have "henchman after henchman", and beyond two instances, Guts doesn't fight them. Beyond Griffith, Guts has a lot of problems to worry about. Killing Griffith is Guts ultimate goal, but there is much much more.

Well, half of this happens at the end of the anime. The rape occurs at the end of the anime, but the rest of the stuff is not mentioned. Is that because it happens later or because they left it out?

It happens after the "escape" from the face-world-thing that they are brought into at the end of the anime.

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I still have three episodes of the anime left and I need to go and order volumes of the manga RIGHT NOW!

I always hated Griffith. I lost all respect for him once I saw that he slept with some big king for money.
Well you're about to lose a hell of a lot more respect for him.

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
It happens like this:

1. Guts in the "present", kills snake demon thing, bla bla bla.
2. Golden Age Arc (flashback)
3. Return to the present (just after #1), follow's Guts quest to save himself and kill Griffith and God Hand.

And, no, there is a lot of things that happen after the Golden Age arc. Griffith doesn't have "henchman after henchman", and beyond two instances, Guts doesn't fight them. Beyond Griffith, Guts has a lot of problems to worry about. Killing Griffith is Guts ultimate goal, but there is much much more.

It happens after the "escape" from the face-world-thing that they are brought into at the end of the anime.

After the end credits, you actually get to see Guts walking out of a door (the smith's house). It's just never explained how he leaves face-world or how he gets better after his injuries.

vassock
01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
I probably won't read a lot more of the manga since I hear it gets really slow and painful. Rumor has it there's a lot of rape and dismemberment in the manga.

All the more reason to watch it. I don't know if it gets slow. If you mean towards the end of the part covered by the anime, then it definitely does not get boring. It's a must watch. I just regret that the anime ends on the worst cliffhanger ever. First time I've wanted to read the manga after the anime.