PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, do the evangelion films compare to the original series?

Lord Teapot
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
To be honest, I have been pretty dissapointed. A lot of people claim that the films are aimed at the series older fans, due to more adult references, etc. However I disagree with this. In the original series these references exist but unlike in the films they are not always simplified to such an extent that a monkey could understand it. In my opinion the films are just an attempt to steal some extra cash from its fans, and any artistic or interesting content has been removed so that they dont have to deal with idiots complaining about "If I didnt understand it, then its the creators that failed and not me" complaints.

The original series was a masterpiece but the films are at such a lower level.

Like I said, im looking for the opinions of others too, im not here just to rant :/ However I explained my arguement so I just dont want mindless flame in return so please back up your arguements :p

vassock
01-17-2010, 11:41 PM
To be honest, I have been pretty dissapointed. A lot of people claim that the films are aimed at the series older fans, due to more adult references, etc. However I disagree with this. In the original series these references exist but unlike in the films they are not always simplified to such an extent that a monkey could understand it. In my opinion the films are just an attempt to steal some extra cash from its fans, and any artistic or interesting content has been removed so that they dont have to deal with idiots complaining about "If I didnt understand it, then its the creators that failed and not me" complaints.

The original series was a masterpiece but the films are at such a lower level.

Like I said, im looking for the opinions of others too, im not here just to rant :/ However I explained my arguement so I just dont want mindless flame in return so please back up your arguements :p
What do you mean by "the films?" Do you mean End of Evangelion or the new "1.0" "2.0" remakes of the series?

Gjallarhorn
01-17-2010, 11:59 PM
What do you mean by "the films?" Do you mean End of Evangelion or the new "1.0" "2.0" remakes of the series?

I'm pretty sure he means the Rebirth films.

I pretty much agree with the OP. But, GAINAX has been selling out Evangelion for a decade, so it's nothing new. They make the images sharper, make the female characters more..."marketable" to your typical Type B fan, add in a new character to get the attention of all the drooling Rei fanatics...it all just seems so cheap.

Diocletian
01-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Maybe Hideaki Anno will be that bad director that he is and have a breakdown again and get death threats again. I want to use this oppurtunity to bash Hideaki Anno, but I won't. I just believe he's one of the worst directors out there.

Lord Teapot
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I was reffering to all the new evangelion films, although in particular to rebirth.