PDA

View Full Version : Shirley after S1 E15 (casual spoilers)

Raiden17
01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
OK so I've just been rewatching R1 and it occurs to me that Lelouch: obviously a very intelligent chap, comes up with the most lazy excuse for why Shirley doesn't remember who he is after he Geasses her. He says that she's angry at him after a fight and is pretending not to remember who he is.

I admire him for not using her father's death as a cheap excuse for his own gain, but seriously that's such an easy excuse! Just say that she's all trauma'd up by her dad's death and can't remember who he is. It's not like they'd force her into therapy and thereby invite attention from the Brittanians.
In the end it doesn't matter cos nobody notices, but don't you think it makes him look less intelligent than he is?

And to make the thread less preposterously specific. I invite mass discussion over any other tactical fails of Lelouch's. For example consistently not predicting the arrival of the Lancelot in every battle he ever has to deal with.

Rolo Vi Britannia
01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Lelouch is not the dumb one, it's his friends for thinking.
1. She'd ever be that mad at Lelouch.
2. She'd carry that on that long.
3. Not wondering what the hell he did to her. O.o

Raiden17
01-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm not gonna argue that the stupidity lies with the friends. They really should've picked up on it.
You reckon Lelouch is fully aware of how little effort he has to put into that excuse?
Seems like that might be the case.

I guess it kinda shows a frailty in Shirley's character (albeit a really endearing one) that she's the type of person that her friends would believe she'd hold a grudge for that long.
Adds more depth to her character which is kinda cool.

Gjallarhorn
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Just say that she's all trauma'd up by her dad's death and can't remember who he is.

Why would her father's death make her not remember who Lelouch is? Also, that kind of traumatic amnesia would certainly have her see a doctor or a psychology, or undergo some other sort of therapy. It would be very suspicious.

Saying "She's mad at me so she's pretending to ignore me" makes a lot of sense, not to mention he covered himself by telling their friends on the student council to just go along with it and that she would get over it eventually.

It's a very solid excuse, despite the little effort put into it. A good strategist will always go with the most efficient method that also requires the least effort.

Raiden17
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Yea the excuse does work.
My argument was that I expect more extravagance from Lelouch. Considering he's such a showman about everything. Maybe that's just for when he's Zero.

But it could make her forget Lelouch. Considering she kissed him straight after. It would kinda make sense that she could theoretically forget him because of the association between those two massive motional moments. To try and get over the grief her mind blocks out the other most emotional moment of that time: i.e. her love for Lelouch.
The minds such a complex thing that can be affected by so much that there's no telling what can happen.
There's probably medical precedent for it. It's been so long since I studied psychology that I can't remember if there is.

And yea they probably would get psychologists involved. But the cure would only be to get her to spend more time with Lelouch. Most psychologists respect the brains reasons for suppressing epically massive things like that. But the attention would be unwanted.

kimi no kioku
01-07-2010, 09:41 PM
It was kind of corny, but it worked. I guess it proves a point, the lamest excuses work!

xXPainful SmilexX
01-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Lelouch's friends are stupid.How could they not be wondering what he did? Or at least ask about it. It was a stupid plot twist to begin with.

Raiden17
01-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't know about stupid plot twist. But I certainly found the way they dealt with it unusual

xXPainful SmilexX
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't know about stupid plot twist. But I certainly found the way they dealt with it unusual

I meant the whole, "she discovers he's Zero, then loses her memory right afterward." Thing. I mean, why make her learn at all? It was a twist to make CC the main couple.

Wicked Eden
01-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I meant the whole, "she discovers he's Zero, then loses her memory right afterward." Thing. I mean, why make her learn at all? It was a twist to make CC the main couple.
It would have been cool if Shirley would have got a Knightmare and supported Lelouch. But that probably would have ended in a premature death for her.

Which she kinda already gets in R2.

xXPainful SmilexX
01-16-2010, 09:37 PM
It would have been cool if Shirley would have got a Knightmare and supported Lelouch. But that probably would have ended in a premature death for her.

Don't know about that, but perhaps she could have gone to the end with him and been empress. She would have had all those "Is this the right thing?" thoughts. Not to mention we'd get to see her and CC maybe confront each other...?

Raiden17
01-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Agreed, not to continuously re-use old material, but Marissa springs to mind.

Also, this brings up an idea which I'm sure has been put down before, but I would love an alternate timeline manga in which Shirley did genuinely get to do that.
Mostly cos it gives an opportunity to really address the fact that (MASSIVE SPOILER) the man she loves killed her dad.
(No real need to spoiler that one as if someone doesn't know that but is somehow still following this thread then they've entered a time warp.)

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like Sunrise maybe needed to continue with the major storyline, so they resolved this issue nice and swiftly. I'm just a sucker for lingering tension between characters for frickin ages.

@painfulsmile:
that confrontation would have been awesome to watch. and I mean awesome in the literal sense. I would have been sitting there in awe of what I was seeing. I would've been losing breath because of the excitement.

xXPainful SmilexX
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
@Raiden17.
I was waiting for that... But it never came...