PDA

View Full Version : End of Evangelion ending and Rebuild

vassock
12-14-2009, 10:06 PM
SPOILER warning, obviously.

EOE:

So I watched episodes 1-26 and also the End of Evangelion and it left me with some questions. So Lilith turned everyone to LCL except for Shinji. Asuka is already dead from the battle with the mass produced evas. Then Shinji decided that it was worth it to keep everything intact (individuality), Lilith died and everyone has a chance to come back to life as they were before.

Shinji is on the shore and there is Asuka. She rejected him earlier so now he tries to strangle her as he did in his mind while he was deciding what to do. And here is where the mystery begins.

There is the theory that Asuka came back because she chose to. There is the theory that she was remade as Asuka as Shinji wanted to remake her. And there is the theory that Shinji remade her, but our of pieces of Asuka, Rei and Misato. The latter two theories make sense based on the original episodes 25 and 26 where Shinji had the power to remake the world as he wanted. But the first one makes sense based on everyone's power to come back as explained in EoE.

Now, there is the issue of Asuka's bandaged left eye and right arm. These are compatible with the injuries she received in battle. There is this and her eye color. In general, her eyes are blue, but here her eye is black. People attribute this to the "mixture" of the women into one, however, I found this is probably not true. First of all, when Shinji first sees Rei, her RIGHT eye and right arm are bandaged. But on Asuka, her LEFT eye and right arm are bandaged, so this doesn't really make sense. As for eye color, Shinji's eyes are also blue in the episodes, but they are both black in this section.

So:

1. Rei's injuries do not match up.
2. Shinji's eyes are also black, which suggests that they were simply not colored in this scene, rather than colored to indicate some sort of change.

This leads me to believe that Shinji did NOT remake the world in his view and that people simply came back if they wanted to as they remembered themselves. However, why did Asuka come back with her injuries? Would Misato come back mortally wounded if she came back? And what of Asuka's other, presumably fatal injuries? Besides, it's not like a bandage can put her SPLIT IN HALF arm back together.

The only conclusion that makes sense is this:

Shinji had the option to:
A. Keep the world as a whole, homogeneous pool.
B. Remake the world as he saw fit.
C. Reject the program entirely and have everything go back to normal.

This makes more sense because it includes the idea that he COULD have remade the world as he saw fit as explained in original episodes 25 and 26. It also includes the idea of EoE where people supposedly go back to life as THEY (not Shinji) remembered themselves. The answer is C. To explain Asuka's injuries, she probably accepted that she was injured, but only to the point of having a scarred arm and injured eye, rather than a split arm, missing eye and torn out intestines. Likewise, if Misato had come back, she would still have her scar, but not the wound that killed her (or the explosion that tore her to pieces).

So, does this make sense to anyone? Any comments on what I can interpret better? And can someone explain the last part where she says "disgusting?" Would have been better if she said "idiot" in a friendly way like she usually does.

REBUILD:

Has anyone seen the rebuild? I take it they're up to 2.0 now. How is it so far? Is it just a redrawing of the story, or is there more to it? There is a theory going around that it is actually a sequel where Shinji remakes the world as it was but makes different decisions. However, it makes no sense in relation to EoE. Is the series better? Worse? I am not particularly interested in better animation/drawing. I found the original episodes and EoE to be drawn well enough and I heard the voice acting sucks in rebuild. What do you think?

Gjallarhorn
12-14-2009, 11:12 PM
REBUILD:

Has anyone seen the rebuild? I take it they're up to 2.0 now. How is it so far? Is it just a redrawing of the story, or is there more to it? There is a theory going around that it is actually a sequel where Shinji remakes the world as it was but makes different decisions. However, it makes no sense in relation to EoE. Is the series better? Worse? I am not particularly interested in better animation/drawing. I found the original episodes and EoE to be drawn well enough and I heard the voice acting sucks in rebuild. What do you think?

The rebuilds are only a re-telling of the story with some strange alterations. In all honesty, it's nothing more than GAINAX continuing to milk Evangelion for every last penny they can...the same thing they've been doing for the last 12 years.

The Rebuilds have been pretty mediocre. 1.0 was more-or-less a retelling of everything up until before Asuka comes into the story, but it's very spacey. If someone hadn't seen the original series, they'd be at an almost complete loss.
2.0 is basically the next grouping of episodes, but they change things...quite a bit. Not to change the story necessarily, but they add in a new female character (Mari), they change the girls' plug suit design to something more skimpy, the mecha designs are changed a bit as well. Essentially, they modernized it, and fit it to suit the desires of the "modern otaku" (moe, etc). Also, Asuka's personality is apparently radically different than in the original series, and they changed her name to " Asuka Langley Shikinami", her last name now sharing a kanji with Rei's last name.

It's good eye candy, but it's nothing beyond GAINAX continuing to reap as much money from it as they can.

vassock
12-14-2009, 11:28 PM
They say there will be an alternate ending in 4.0. Will that will explain EoE better?