PDA

View Full Version : Can Death Note really effect your mental health?

Hypatia
11-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I read somewhere that Death Note affected the mental health of children and teens.

Memento Mori
11-18-2009, 06:11 AM
I highly, highly, highly doubt it.

Even if it did make a kid crazy, that kid must have been crazy in the first place.

ZiggyBoy91
11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Naruto obviously can, but I don't think Death Note can mess up someone mentally unless they were on the brink of insanity already.

Miss Electric Moonlight
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
No anime can "affect" your mental health unless you have already existing issues.

Then again, the same thing can (and has) been said for everything, including video games, movies and music.

Lehvorak
12-03-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't believe that Death Note can affect someone's mentality. I believe whoever is already unstable will go crazy after watching something violent or somewhere along the line, because if Death Note made people crazy... wouldn't that make me crazy and everyone else who watches it? What I have seen from my friends that watch Death Note, is that they are not affected by it and is still the same person.

-GAZKUL-
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
if ever there was an anime that could make people go crazy it certainly wasnt death note. there are lots of much much more violent things out there. whoever said that was probably just trying to start a panic

Kirei Shijin
01-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Well, if you thought all that stuff really existed then Deathnote can surely effect someone mentally. Though I'd have to say if Ryuk really did exist I wouldn't have much of a problem. :D

Kaname Shikara
01-29-2010, 01:43 AM
Lol I would say Death Note wouldn't have an affect on someone's mentality either

Hypatia
02-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Well it wont have an affect on a normal person but you do get those people that will make a death note and think that they are light.

Stripes
02-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Well, death note, I recommend you not to recommend to kids..heh...seriously, I have stopped reading it because I was no more able to tolerate all that torcher to Misa....and everyting..It was disturbing!!!!!!!!!!!

killveskilvinIII
02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_2280504b6db869aa599.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=48699)
well, I've watch deathnote 2 times already and it didn't seem like that. i have to agree with every one saying that those kids that has been affected after watching it already has issues. its a great anime. maybe those kids was just trying to let some feelings go but it turned out to be disturbing. personally i would recommend an adult acoompany a minor wacthing it after all its an adult anime.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_2280504b6db32fadf8a.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=48698)

ladymisslilac
02-18-2010, 04:28 AM
I've heard of some people being expelled from school for bringing Death Note branded notebooks with them, their teachers may have thought them crazy, but that's about as far as it went.

If you have "issues", some anime could have the potential to affect your mental health- we've all heard about one of my former friends who had a bad reaction to Luffy dying- but I think "normal" people can enjoy anime with very little repercussions.

Rolo Vi Britannia
02-18-2010, 06:36 AM
All my friends watch Death Note. My brother watches Death Note, and my Mom watches Death Note. We're all okay.( Although we are crazy for a whole other reason, jk)

Zetsubou-Billy
02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
sounds like though people that killed a some people and blamed it on video games.highly doubt that's the case though.

ultra_maniac
02-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I believe they can Affect coz I have seen so many people trying to act like those character and some times they don't know what they do like trying to do stunt's and all.

wolfgirl90
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I've heard of some people being expelled from school for bringing Death Note branded notebooks with them, their teachers may have thought them crazy, but that's about as far as it went.

Yeah, one of those instances happened right in my hometown of Richmond, Virginia. When saw this on this news, I thought I was hearing things until the story came one again. I found it sad and hilarious.

Here's the video from the news report:
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL6f_-_a77A

MakusuWashi
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Here's the video from the news report:
hahah, only in america .p
---
And yeah, Death Note effects people's mental health.. in a positive way

viruko
02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
No, sane people tend to think "I say... he's going a bit far isn't he?", its the ones who are already insane who go "WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS BEFORE????"

Missty0Citty
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I think it can I mean I have noticed a change in me since my favourite character is L. I have noticed things I usually don't know and that I seem smarter then I was I don't know if it was just because I was lazy but I think it really can change someone. Yet in the case of like a child who has been abused or something to the extreme could take it the wrong way and be like I could do that to people I hate. It could swing many ways.

-P.N.-
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't say it can affect a person mental health...
But I do believe stuff we watch and play do have influent on how we think and the way we act... Hmmm how u say it... popular culture effect? They set up a "norm" for what we think is cool, or "normal" <-- this doesn't limit to anime only ofcouse.... music video, TV show ect.... they all influence us everyday if you take a momenet and think about it XD this is what i get from my WNS20 class.
Of course you don't just go out and cutting people off just because u playing violent videogame...

Wio
02-23-2010, 02:13 AM
What's with all this "already has issues" crap? That's a total cop-out because the second someone is affected mentally, you can just say "They had issues beforehand." If someone does have "issues" then where did they get them?

You guys should stop beating around the bush, and be honest about it. Repeat after me: "Death Note may encourage people to crazy stuff, the entertainment benefit it provides greatly outweighs the cost of the formerly stated consequence"

Hypatia
02-24-2010, 04:37 AM
People act out when they have something that they cant express in a healthy way. That is why you get people that cut themselves etc.
When some people watch something it can have a bad effect on them a young child can have nightmares form the content on death note but it is the parent or gaurdian who is responsable for what the child watches. It cant always be controled but they have to explain why the child cant watch the program. Age ristrictions are there for a reason and that reason is to protect younger viewers.
The truth is that young children can be affected by almost anything that has a negative.

NearLawliet
02-28-2010, 08:44 AM
im a teen and i found the series somewhat intense at the beginning when L and Light were scheming against eachother, but i dont think im scarred for life at all.

Hypatia
03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I dont think that is can affect everyone that watches it, i mean i have watched death note and im not mentally unstable but it all depends on the person. so all in all i agree with what everyone is saying.

Rulloxp
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah..
They would have to be already decently messed up before reading//watching the series for it to even have an affect on how their living. But, if its true, thats pretty cool . (in a good, and sad way.)

narunaru
03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
No more than anything else, I suppose. Depends on the person. If the person is especially sensitive to the kind of stimuli Death Note provides, or has a weak mental state, I suppose. Otherwise, if you are of a sound mind and can keep reality and fiction separate, it should be fine.

Hypatia
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
No more than anything else, I suppose. Depends on the person. If the person is especially sensitive to the kind of stimuli Death Note provides, or has a weak mental state, I suppose. Otherwise, if you are of a sound mind and can keep reality and fiction separate, it should be fine.
True also if a person acts out with no history of being sensitive then there could be a problem of a much bigger magnitude.

viruko
05-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Actually, come to think of it, I did end up taking breaths in my head whenever I was thinking about something for a while after I watched it, but I guess that doesn't really count as having mental health issues apart from it being quite annoying lol.

Pun
07-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Maybe if you're unstable to begin with.

But I dont think so.

Hypatia
07-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Maybe if you're unstable to begin with.

But I dont think so.
True but if you have had no history of being unstable death note could be a trigger.

Pun
07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
True but if you have had no history of being unstable death note could be a trigger.

No, it cannot.

The instability it can cause can only be caused if you're unstable to begin with, as, when you are stable, the 'instable' isnt in your thought pattern, thus, unable to effect you.

Plus the fact nothing in Death note has an effect on any of us, personally. (Which also plays a role in the grasping of instability, if any.)

The_Angry_Princess
07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
No it can't anime can though

Lord
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Depends on the persons physical health. Doesn't really matter if it's Death Note or Samurai Champloo, as long as the person is in good shape the anime/manga won't effect him/her.

chii-chan91
08-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Ive read about Death Note styled murders before, but not about it actually having an effect on a persons mental health... although i suppose thats contradictory, cause it would have had to have had an effect for them to have taken it that far...

Plus, if its a child thats watching it, its not really a good idea to begin with- isnt Death Note aimed at older teens? Its kinda like a 5 year old sitting in on a 15 certified film...

Lord
08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Ive read about Death Note styled murders before, but not about it actually having an effect on a persons mental health... although i suppose thats contradictory, cause it would have had to have had an effect for them to have taken it that far...

Plus, if its a child thats watching it, its not really a good idea to begin with- isnt Death Note aimed at older teens? Its kinda like a 5 year old sitting in on a 15 certified film...

Actually you are right, the series are aimed to fit the older people, with "older people" Im reffering to 15+. Death Note is not like Beyblade, it's certainly more mature. The people who commit these crimes regarding Death Note are certainly not in a perfect healt-state. There has to be something wrong with them. It doesn't sound logical that you can create a note where you can just write the name of a person you know and then instantly kill him/her with a heartattack.

chii-chan91
08-01-2010, 04:54 PM
It doesn't sound logical that you can create a note where you can just write the name of a person you know and then instantly kill him/her with a heartattack.

The article says that it was a 'manga inspired murderer' in Brussels apparantly- so i dont think they would have based it on how it works in the series, just set it up to look like that, and the police concluded it was a prank since there were certain things wrong in the case although its still open apparantly.

But i agree that there has to be something wrong in the first place for it to affect mental health- i cant see kids of a certain age following some of the content anyway since its aimed at an older teen audience...

The Butcher
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
It effected that kid who had a "Death Note" at school,which ;ed to him getting suspended.

Lord
08-01-2010, 06:56 PM
It effected that kid who had a "Death Note" at school,which ;ed to him getting suspended.

I've heard about that story before, but despite that he got suspended because he owned a fake "Death Note" was it the right decision to suspend him? I mean, that person seriously had some trouble at school, I can imagine that he was that person everybody was mocking and giving him/her a very bad time. And thats why I think it's questionable if it was right to suspend him or not.

Something made him create that "Death Note" and I don't think the head of the school did something about the other people who made him feel like he felt.

Hypatia
08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Something made him create that "Death Note" and I don't think the head of the school did something about the other people who made him feel like he felt.
I dont think so either. The student had a problem and didnt deal with it in the right way. The fact that a "Death Note" was created shows that the sudent had a problem. By suspeding the student you are not sorting out the problem you are just bringing it to the surface. The student who's names were in the death note should have also goten into some degree of trouble.
No one wil just write names in a book called death note for no reason.

Full Metal SHORTY!!!
10-02-2010, 04:34 AM
I doubt it. But it depends how to children react to it, and what they really think of the movie and how they have been brought up.

Saxima
10-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Depends on what kind of person you are in the first place. If you're a person who's mentally unstable to begin with, then yeah, I'm sure you'll get affected. But if you're just a person who's into anime, and has never thought of bringing an anime into reality, then no, you should be fine.

Hypatia
10-04-2010, 06:54 AM
<p>
Depends on what kind of person you are in the first place. If you're a person who's mentally unstable to begin with, then yeah, I'm sure you'll get affected. But if you're just a person who's into anime, and has never thought of bringing an anime into reality, then no, you should be fine.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
That is true. I agree but do you think that it would be right for a country to ban Death note on the whole.

Bugsiee
10-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Yes! You are proof enough Cash;)

HumanoidTyphoon
10-09-2010, 07:19 AM
EVERYTHING can affect your mental health, potentially, anime, videogames, products, locations, people, events.

EVERYTHING.

Saxima
10-09-2010, 12:56 PM
<p></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
That is true. I agree but do you think that it would be right for a country to ban Death note on the whole.

I mean, I guess so. Every country has their own laws, and if something like an anime is affecting the people who watch it, hence making them do crack-head stuff, then by all means ban the cause of it.

Thefringedninja
11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
I seriously doubt that! I mean, yes it is disturbing at times, but it also is good at helping people form their own opinions and philosophies on justice. Surely that is a good thing?
Would they rather we all watched things easy to digest, but had no views on the death penalty and become clones of eachother?!
This debate has been ongoing for centuries...all Death Note does is highlight it and gives you a situation in which it can go to the extreme.
DN also has a 18+ rating anyway, so those with a weak disposition shouldn't watch it!

RJ169
11-18-2010, 01:40 PM
i dont think death note effects peoples mental health, unless wanting to be a character from the death note universe is a mental health problem ( Beyond Birthday and Mellow for life)

TANKBRED
11-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Yes it can. In about the same way a bowl of soup can. If one is not right in the head, then it doesn't matter what sort of media they're exposed to because the result will be the same.

And I think that outright banning Death Note is stupid, narrow-minded and ultimately insulting.

ken no joġ
11-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I love death note and I really don't think that it afects our minds unless we are really pitiful people who let ourselves be cought in a fantasy story! First of all everybody knows that death notes....don't exist! Therefore it can't afect us. Yes, in the beginning I must admit that I was awlays thinking of wanting to be like Light! Not in the: "uuuu I have a notebook and I'm a psycho!"way , but in the smart way! I mean...he's so smart! I still wish I could be like that! But let's face it! I'm not going to kill people and buy black notebooks just because an anime shows me that! Camon, if I was to do eveything I see in anime, I must say, that having a little bit of hardcoore style.... half of the world would be dead!

BigduO209
11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Unless your mental health is down the crapper in the 1st place, I highly doubt it.

FormlessPersonality
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
nice..........

n.y.t.g
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
99% of the world would use the death note in either a stupid, or horrific way. Light, despite his academic intelligence, had no sense of justice whether he claimed to or not. Maybe it was the Death note that corrupted his mind, but I think in the end, pretty much anyone would've done the same and gotten themselves killed. No human can decide the fate of others. It's not possible for things to end well. I'm sure there are at least a few people who could use the death note correctly in this world, but the chances of one of those people getting their hands on something like that are little to none anyway.

Rose-Lawliet
02-28-2012, 06:14 AM
kes you alot smarterl..

Ryuu No Kage
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Nah I don't think death not affects the health of kids/teens unless they are already partially insane or believe things in animes

TheLoneBlade
05-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm a teen and I watched it. I haven't gone crazy. I have plenty of friends that watch it. They're not crazy.

Hellebaard
05-11-2012, 03:49 PM
What's with all this "already has issues" crap? That's a total cop-out because the second someone is affected mentally, you can just say "They had issues beforehand." If someone does have "issues" then where did they get them?

Issues can come by birth, for example authism or being merciless, which both are disfunctioning of the brains.

So yeah, DE could be the reason someone does smth bad. ^^

darkrider21
06-05-2012, 05:44 AM
In my opinion it is all depending on the i devidral in question. I think shows like this can efect a persions mental state but it might be a raire case.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
06-26-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm a teen and I watched it. I haven't gone crazy. I have plenty of friends that watch it. They're not crazy.

Well it can ALWAYS affect your mental health as anything else but agree it's not very likely (unless you saw it alone with 6 years old and at dark xD)

But definetely, if it was real, any user of it would be mentally affected, having such a divine power

Kaleohano
06-26-2012, 07:13 AM
What a great question!
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii622/lucassidor/tumblr_lwjjvgVNct1qbcq69-1.jpg
haha i kid i kid. sorta...

In 1981, John Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Ronald Reagan due to his obsession with Jodie Foster as a result of watching the movie Taxi Driver.

In 2004, a chinese kid committed suicide by jumping out of a 24 story building because he thought he would be able to meet his World of Warcraft character by doing so. (not the only suicide to occur as a result of WOW)
http://noobsnoobsandmorenoobs.yolasite.com/resources/noob.jpg

Can TV, movies, games, books, etc... affect the mental health of people?
Yes, but not to everyone, and not to any particular age group. The is an incredibly small percentage of people who are already f***ed up in the head that will go ape s**t as a result of these forms of entertainment.
Being messed up in the cranium isn't the only thing that'll lead people to do stupid things. Poverty often results in criminal activity. Just look at poor countries.

Some people can just lose it for the moment. For a while it was legal to kill a man in Texas if you caught your wife cheating by claiming temporary insanity. Temporary insanity is something you can still claim anywhere in the U.S. to have your sentence reduced of even have the charges dropped.

The key thing to remember is that everything affects everyone in a completely different way.
However, a mentally healthy, and generally happy person will not be affected by a show like death note or any other scotch forms of entertainment. The people that tweak out as a result of these things will more than likely have something else thats affecting them beforehand, and then the show or whatever just pushes them over the edge.

Miss Electric Moonlight
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Only if there's something wrong with your mental health to begin with. Kind of like when people blame violent acts on violent video games or movies; they started out that way and were possibly influenced. But, never seen it, so yea.

Alac
02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
i think so that it is possible in the child's and also for old persons who are nearly to die, the reason is that the children has less mind and knowledge so when they read about the death in some notes they take it seriously. similarly the old persons know that their death time is near because they live their life allot, but after reading these types of notes they become feared.

Clayton_n
06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is1cJhq2zi8