PDA

View Full Version : Would Asuka and Shinji make a good couple?

Hypatia
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I think that it would have worked out. They seem to sort of like each other.

vassock
12-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, Shinji definitely does as shown in the beginning of EoE.

XxXxUnknown47
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
i dont think so, Rei and shinji is better in my opinion :3

Funkgun
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM

I would agree... well other than the whole "relation" thing. But I personally think Asuka would have been hell to live with.

flying froggy
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I would agree... well other than the whole "relation" thing. But I personally think Asuka would have been hell to live with.

Yeah I think the anime is old enough where it's not a spoiler that there's a "familiarity" issue there, but just incase people still haven't seen it I won't say more. *sorry I'm new here and still don't know how to do that spoiler trick yet* Shinji and Asuka would do well together they have that love hate relationship going just like, Rukia- Ichigo, and Akane- Ranma do, except that shinji isn't as overt as they are.

vassock
12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
But Rei has no emotions because she has been cloned numerous times and is kind of like an expendable zombie pilot.

flying froggy
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
But Rei has no emotions because she has been cloned numerous times and is kind of like an expendable zombie pilot.

well so It's not exactly like that Rei has been cloned a bunch of times but it's not the fact that she's a clone that precludes her from having feelings. It's more because of the upbringing that she's had. She's been pretty much isolated from familial contact with other people that she's not able to express feelings, because she doesn't know how to react to them. there are a few times in the anime and in the new movie which is a retelling of the anime where you see her emotional side.

vassock
12-22-2009, 06:32 PM
well so It's not exactly like that Rei has been cloned a bunch of times but it's not the fact that she's a clone that precludes her from having feelings. It's more because of the upbringing that she's had. She's been pretty much isolated from familial contact with other people that she's not able to express feelings, because she doesn't know how to react to them. there are a few times in the anime and in the new movie which is a retelling of the anime where you see her emotional side.

She can express some emotion, but she was raised to be almost completely emotionless. This is presumably because she is the expendable backup pilot that is theoretically compatible with any one of the EVAs. I can understand why they would do that. Imagine Gendo going down to Central Dogma when it's time to merge with Lillith and not being able to locate Rei because she is out wandering like Shinji and Asuka were.

TENKAWA_AKITO
12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Shinji's just like a coward to me....

flying froggy
12-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Shinji's just like a coward to me....

That's a bit harsh to call him a coward. Many times people who act the "bravest" are actually the biggest cowards, instead of running away, or freezing they "run" towards danger, or act overly tough to compensate for the fact they are actually cowards ie the school bully who's "tough" until someone actually confronts them.

You have to look at first Shinji's upbringing, spoiler alert he saw his mother die in the experiments, was basically, "abandoned" by his father. It is not that he is a coward, it is that shinji, just doesn't know how to express himself and how to show his inner strength. He doesn't have confidence, he's also the kind of kid that would let success get too his head. Gendo Ikari you see he probably knows all this about his son and uses a reverse pshychology aproach to riling shinji up. Having self doubt and being unsure of one's self is not cowardice. Reacting quickly and talking big is not bravery

Lord Teapot
01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Shinji isnt a coward :/ I think at the beggining he acted as any boy of that age would have. The whole basis of the original arc is dealing with shinji's varying actions and feeling to do with and about the evas.

Character developement is a very strong point of the series.

Gjallarhorn
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
It was pointed out that they liked one another, but that was entirely defeated by their "hedgehog's dilemma". GAINAX spelled this out completely.

vassock
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
It was pointed out that they liked one another, but that was entirely defeated by their "hedgehog's dilemma". GAINAX spelled this out completely.
But can't Asuka just stop being a dick? Surely she can't stay that way forever, right? The hedgehog dilemma is more of a temporary condition than a permanent trait.