PDA

View Full Version : The "R.P.S." myth

sataned
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
some of you probably thought by RPS i was referring to ROck Paper Scissors but NO! I speak of the myth of RETARDED PEOPLE STRENGTH! is it real? can a mentally challenged person really get hulk like strength when pushed to his/her limits? what do you all think?

PS: mah bad to anyone who finds the word retard offensive ...
also dont be a retard posting flamage in here about me using the word retard ...

blackrosetwilight
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I've heard of "average/normal" person summoning super human strength in life or death situation, for examply I remember seeing a video on Maximum Exposer where a guys friend lifts a one and a half ton mini helicopter about two feet up in a water filled ditch by himself, so other people can pull him out. But never anything about mentally challenged people doing it, but I have heard that many of them have increadible artistic abilities in painting, music , and even litrature.

shadow slayer x
08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes and those are known as Savant's I'm pretty sure...

Forgotten Show
08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
It's not that they're mentally handicapped that makes them strong, but their lack of control over muscle movements. Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of trying to hold down someone experiencing a seizure knows what I mean, because it's the same principle. When performing a "feat of strength", people who aren't wired normally might have a lot less finesse and self-control over their movements (I say might because not all people with mental handicaps exhibit this). Nothing "savant" or special about it.

Bad Memory

Acnologia
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Adrenaline methinks.
Anyone can get it if need be.

Storm Strife
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm guessing its similar to when regular people seem to perform great feats of strength.

That scenario is due to adrenaline, which essentially allows you to push yourself past your "limits", due to the fact that it also seems to dull pain to some degree. If you don't feel pain, you're able to put much more strain on your body.

So, put anyone in a situation where they'd be able to demand more from their muscles or unable to control them, and you'll find their able to perform more than they normally can.

3pleT
08-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I've heard of "average/normal" person summoning super human strength in life or death situation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response

CrystalAce
08-11-2009, 04:55 AM
I guess it's pretty much like an adrenaline rush in normal people. The fact that they can't understand the pain involved, makes some of the mentally handicapped people do impossible things or show great strength or endurance.

But then again, not all of the mentally handicapped people exhibit hostility towards other poeple. So, I guess it's pretty much limited to few of those people, especially the psychopathic ones.