PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, Please.

zook
12-28-2003, 10:22 PM
I made a wallpaper. It's the first one I think is good enough to post, but I would like someone to give me their opinion. Fire away.

A couple of things to note:
1) I know that I need to put something behind the center image besides solid black. Any ideas?
2) It&#39;s a Lain wallpaper. How original. </sarcasm>

MistressPookyChan
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I like the simplicity of it; the black is fine. I don&#39;t get the glowing eye symbol, though. is it your trademark?

haruko
12-28-2003, 10:57 PM
may i ask...what the feck is in her hands&#33;&#33;&#33;??? :blink: :lol:

zook
12-28-2003, 11:13 PM
I don&#39;t get the glowing eye symbol, though. is it your trademark?

Nope, it&#39;s Copland OS&#39;s logo (http://www.cjas.org/~leng/knights.htm) (scroll down a tad on that site to see it).

may i ask...what the feck is in her hands&#33;&#33;&#33;???

That would be a gun. Here&#39;s the source image (http://www.cjas.org/~leng/vel004.jpg).

Oh, and an updated version is attached. (and it&#39;s a much bigger file size, too. Just a heads up for you 56k-ers).

ownerizer
12-29-2003, 01:41 AM
One thing we learned in art and graphic design is not to dead center objects unless it&#39;s an obsolute necessity. I do like you&#39;re Mac ad rip there, it&#39;s kinda fun. But I think you should look for a different picture to use.

MistressPookyChan
12-29-2003, 01:58 AM
i kind of like the first one better, but if the image was pushed to one of the sides. i still dont get why the symbol is on there, but if it goes with your OS, all the power to ya&#33; i <3 when people customize their wallpaper to go with their OS.

zook
12-29-2003, 06:26 AM
if it goes with your OS, all the power to ya&#33;

Copland is actually Lain&#39;s OS. It&#39;s made up, but it&#39;s vaguely based on apple products and neXt OS. More information then you probably wanted to know here. (http://www.cjas.org/~leng/apple-lain.htm)

OK, some revision was done:
1) Now the background is completely covered.
2) It&#39;s not so dead-center anymore.

Eyerate
12-29-2003, 06:28 AM
Creative. Although when i customize my wallpapers for myself that im also planning on releasing to public domain, I go back and remove all of my tagging/symbols with personal meaning and add other generic things so the people that dl my wall dont have "Eyerate" and my dragon or any of my other logos on their desktop. And as far as "never center any images unless its absolutely necessary", I believe that personal preference and creativity all take precendence over some graffik design teachers opinion(who in my exp are always living about 5 years in the past as far as design innovation goes). Do what feels good to you. Its YOUR work.

*Edit* Disreguard the customizing comment then lol

zook
12-29-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Eyerate@Dec 29 2003, 06:28 AM
And as far as "never center any images unless its absolutely necessary", I believe that personal preference and creativity all take precendence over some graffik design teachers opinion(who in my exp are always living about 5 years in the past as far as design innovation goes). Do what feels good to you. Its YOUR work.
Actually, I like it better not centered. It balances out with the "Think Different" in the corner. But, thank you for the input.

Another thing I was just wondering: How many people would actually *use* this wallpaper? I mean, it would be kind of freaky having a picture on your desktop of someone about to shoot themselves. :blink: Image the conversations you&#39;d have.

Stranger: "Is that a... person on your desktop?"
You: "Yep, Lain."
Stranger: "Is she, um, about to shoot herself or something?"
You: "Oh. :unsure: Well, yah."

EternalBlue
12-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Hey that&#39;s pretty good, I like the blobby effect. :D and that logo looks pretty cool. But since I&#39;m not into Lain, I probably wouldn&#39;t use this, and you&#39;re right about the conversations hehe :ph34r: *runs away*

escaflownemoon
12-29-2003, 10:49 AM
I like the first one better. You keep it where Lain is and the black bg instead of having something in the back you could probably try and put something to frame the square picture of Lain. Examples...trees, arches... up to you. Yea and the conversations I totally understand because since I live in a dorm ...my friends that I met over in university..they like come visit me like just 3 doors away from and they see my desktop wall and they say "That&#39;s a cool wall..but her collars looks gross...but yea and putting someone like Lain trying to kill herself isn&#39;t going help with the con any better. lol

Eyerate
12-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Kinda OT but ive never seen S.E.L. Did that whole "lain killing herself" ruin it? :(

ownerizer
12-29-2003, 12:11 PM
If you really want to keep Lain with the gun, I&#39;d suggest extracting her from the background and just have her standing there. The background cut off with the edges, giving it the real square boxy feeling. It&#39;s really out of place.

demonplight
12-29-2003, 02:38 PM
I like the second one, can you ger rid of the blue line to the left of the image, and maby take your symbol and put it to the bottum right, right above the start bar. But I do like it.

zook
12-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Eyerate@Dec 29 2003, 11:45 AM
Kinda OT but ive never seen S.E.L. Did that whole "lain killing herself" ruin it? :(
She didn&#39;t kill herself.

Well, kind of, but not really.

:unsure:

But anyway, I&#39;m gonna update the wall soon and post a pic. Thank you for all the input, everybody :^_^:

zook
12-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Big changes here. I decided that the original was best not to be messed with as much as I did earlier, so I made it vaguely more like the original.

And another thing I just realized... I&#39;m on a mac, so I naturally made the wallpaper so everything was on the left side of the screen. Reason being, macs put the icons on the right side of the screen rather then the left. Should I change that?

DrunkenShit
12-30-2003, 03:50 AM
Maybe you could make the background darker?

omicron_15
12-31-2003, 09:11 PM
i like the 2nd one the best, though offcenterd it might be better, I like the bg you had nice and dark but Im not a fan of the pic.

escaflownemoon
01-01-2004, 07:45 AM
a darker bg and make the text a bit more scary looking. I like the second one better. :)

nucleardesignate
01-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ownerizer@Dec 29 2003, 12:11 PM
If you really want to keep Lain with the gun, I&#39;d suggest extracting her from the background and just have her standing there.
Yeah, someone about to commit suicide... alone... black background. I must agree with ownerizer. Centering things seems to give the focus more &#39;space&#39; and hence &#39;alone-ness&#39;. Whatever :P

By the way I like the first one the best so far.

Miko
01-12-2004, 03:30 PM
I think you should keep the first one, except you should colorize it to a single shade, and then not center it.