PDA

View Full Version : Screencap Experiment

RequiMem
12-27-2003, 12:58 PM
I was trying to see if I could make anything decent out of a screen capture. I got my hands on the Cowboy Bebop Movie DVD so I took two screen captures and stiched them together. Then I added more sky and more ground and called it a wallpaper. I managed to do the whole thing without stretching (or shirinking) the captures.

Take a look (http://www.deviantart.com/view/4399161/) and tell me what you think.

Has anyone else made a crisp high res wallpaper using screencaps?

escaflownemoon
12-27-2003, 02:22 PM
:D WOW you really stitch it together. You must have used invisible thread to do that...lol anyways you did a good job. I guess the only way that I could think of enhancing the quality would recolor but that would take a long time since it's such a huge wall. Other than that I would put it up on my desktop. :)

EternalBlue
12-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Whoa awesome job, but I think the colors are kind of dull ^_~. Maybe you could brighten it a little bit. Other than that I think its great ^^

Candy-chan
12-27-2003, 04:08 PM
that iz cool, my DVD captures only take a quarter of the wall so i cant do that, its really cool, looks like this is the original pict

kadaan
12-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Using a vector-based graphics program you could trace the image to make it much crisper. Tedious of course, but the end result is crisp and you can scale it with 0% quality loss.

RequiMem
12-28-2003, 12:41 AM
The original image had dull colors to begin with. It was morning after all. I don't think I'd want to change it.

I'd like to do some vector based wallpapers, is there any good software to help? I've tried some using Photoshop's pen tool, but I've been less than successful with it.

Eyerate
12-28-2003, 07:25 AM
If your screencapping by dumping straight from your desktop with prntscrn then your already putting yourself at a clarity disadvantage(ill spare you the tech babble about prntscrns cons). Its always better to use a frame by frame video decompiler but since you want to screencap (and not decompile the video) I would recommend pausing the video(some people screencap during playback, i have no idea why) as many times as it takes to get the frame you want as clear as possible and then using an alternative dumping program like techsmith's snagit 7, which dumps directly into its own basic editing program. You would be surprised the quality you can get off of a screencap/dump(even from a less than dvd quality rip). Hope this was helpful.

-Eye

RequiMem
12-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Well alt + printscreen wouldn't work for dvd video anyway, since it usualy just captures the overlay pixels. Actually for these images, I did capture during playback since WinDVD doesn't really let you go frame by frame easily. But I will check out snagit.

wizz-o-matic
12-28-2003, 11:52 AM
ql, I like the pic. Now u can use it as a bg for a good wp of Cowboy Bebop. As the original pic it seems a bit empty but if u add some characters in front it would become a good wp :D

demonplight
12-28-2003, 01:18 PM
I like the quality, and the style. but dont like the pic. can you try to get a screen cap where Spike and Vincent are fighting on the tower, you know the sceen with the A in the back round.

RequiMem
12-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah, um that would be hard as hell.

(That means I'll try it.)

Eyerate
12-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2003, 09:52 AM
Well alt + printscreen wouldn't work for dvd video anyway, since it usualy just captures the overlay pixels. Actually for these images, I did capture during playback since WinDVD doesn't really let you go frame by frame easily. But I will check out snagit.
Options > Rendering Options > Advanced > Uncheck "Use Overlays" or Set Overlay Mode To "None". Every media player i have ever used has had the option of using overlay mode or not(ive used ALOT of media players).

rosa
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I just gotta say that i LOVE bg images for my desktop
and i LOVE this bg image
it looks altogether peaceful :^_^:

haruko
01-07-2004, 04:02 PM
i think i just found myself a new backround! :) you did a very nice job the only thing that i think could make it better would be a qoute from the movie. or how about "cowboy bebop" on the top left corner just my opinion though