PDA

View Full Version : Da Capo Wp

EternalBlue
12-25-2003, 01:24 PM
It's my first wallpaper so I didn't think it would turn out too well, but I think its pretty good for my first try ^^

Exobbit
12-25-2003, 01:28 PM
the characters look a bit pixi (maybe a bad scan?)

otherwise a good wall ^-^

EternalBlue
12-25-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm workin on that right now. The characters were a lil rough when I started so yea I'll put up a better version in a bit ^^

wizz-o-matic
12-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Nice for your first try!
Some sugestions: first of all u have to redo the exctraction (btw what program do u use so we can help u), then I would move the tittle (because it is coverd by the taxkbar), and also your signature is to big (that should be hiden by the taskbar :D ).
I do like the "glow" around the chars.

Keep trying!!

EternalBlue
12-25-2003, 02:38 PM
There that should be a bit better ^^ How's this?

I used Adobe Photoshop for this, but I just started using that too so I'm not too good with it -__-;

wizz-o-matic
12-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Better.
First of all u should retouch the edges (at some places they aren't fadeing well wiht the bg). U can corect them using the blur tool.
The pic is also a bit pixlate -> try to use smart blur filter, "play" with the preferences (I don't have my ps with me so I can't tell u the best preferences) in this way u can clear a bit the image (but don't exaggerate with them).

Candy-chan
12-25-2003, 05:03 PM
better! but you should re-try the glow, it has a sharpy side thats not good, great beginning

EternalBlue
12-25-2003, 05:24 PM
mmmmmm Thanks a lot Wizzard, the blur helped me get rid of quite a few pixis around the edge lol, aside from that I don't think this one's too different from the last one. Yea I'll do it as PNG from now on, it looks much better ^^ thanks Wiz and Requi.

Ok after this I'm just gonna do one more version so I'll wait a while and see how people comment ^^

and also I kinda like the glow as it is so I think I'll leave it as is.

RequiMem
12-25-2003, 05:33 PM
To avoid some of the pixilization, save the image as a JPEG instead of a GIF. If you are using a newer version of photoshop you can adjust the way an image saves in finer detail by using "Save for Web". This gives a preview of how the picture will look with various file types and compression types.

Nowdays, JPEG is the most common format for wallpapers. In GIF, the picture will tend to look like it has lots of small spots all over due to the reduction in the number of colors. In JPEG, squares will sometimes show up along with spots around text and areas that require lots of detail. In Save for Web, it's generally good to use 50 - 65 for the number used for compression on wallpapers.

Like The Wizzard said, you can also use the smartblur filter to remove "artifacts" but be careful, because sometimes it's really obvious that you used smartblur because areas with sharp corners and a few other areas tend to get excessively blury, even in the solid color look of anime.
---
Edit:
I posed while you were writing your last post. The picture looks much better.

wizz-o-matic
12-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Better, too bad that the pic is low quality. Now I would change the bg (I personaly don't like it much) but u are right, lets wait others comments :D

Better than GIF format is PNG format. I personaly use diferent programs (PS, PhotoImpact, ...) and when I ned to transfer a cut-of image into another program I always save it as PNG.

RequiMem
12-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention PNG. PNG is good beacuse it can be "lossless", meaning it is a pure copy that doesn't loose quality. It's also very large however. I'd still use JPEG when distributing it over the web.

EternalBlue
12-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Yea I'm using PNG now instead of GIF.

I really wanted to make a wallpaper out of the characters from Da Capo but the series is kinda new so I couldn't find any really good quality pics from it -___-;

Anyway about the background, does anyone know how to make a really good crystal-like background kinda like this one? I have no clue even how to get started -_-;

MistressPookyChan
12-26-2003, 02:27 AM
the example you posted looks like the background was done in a variety of layers, each a slightly different color and a different transparency level. The feathery effect can be done with different filter effects (what program do you use?).

wizz-o-matic
12-26-2003, 09:50 AM
She already mentioned that she uses Photoshop :D

EternalBlue: I'm not so experienced in Photoshop to make such a bg but if u don't mind, I'll try to make a bg for u (when I'll reinstal my windows! :D , my system broke down :angry: )

diablo111
12-26-2003, 09:57 AM
That bg looks like it was done using the "sinedots" filter http://www.philipp-spoeth.de/index.html#Ph...s/sinedots.html (http://www.philipp-spoeth.de/index.html#Photoshop/PhotoshopIndex.html#Sinedots/sinedots.html)

And then maybe a Shear filter....

EternalBlue
12-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanx a lot guys, I'll play around with those and see what I can do ^^

and Wiz thanx for the offer, maybe you can help me do a BG on my next WP or something ^_~

EternalBlue
12-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Augh I can't get it to work -___-; Oh well, maybe on the next one ^^ Should I submit this for AW.com or the one before with the diamond-like bg gradient?

12-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by EternalBlue@Dec 25 2003, 05:35 PM
Anyway about the background, does anyone know how to make a really good crystal-like background kinda like this one? I have no clue even how to get started -_-;
In reference to your above statement about the crystal background:

Pooky is right that it is done using many different layers of slightly different colors and opacities. Some of the pointy wavy-like objects (which may be what you are calling the crystals) look to be done by painting a stroke with the brush tool, possibly motion blurred to the side to make them appear pointy, and then swirled either with the swirl filter, or the spin radial blur filter. I underlined radial blur because the spin blur is part of the radial blur. A good idea is to just doodle and play around with filters, layers, and brushes. That's the quickest way to learn.

wizz-o-matic
12-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Better, I prefer the last one -> the one with the new bg. It suits more with the pic.

EternalBlue
12-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Alright, I did what I could with the background, and I think it looks good enough now ^^. I put up the final version in the submissions thread so if you wanna see it go over there ^^