PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play video games not PC

bambr
06-28-2009, 03:35 AM
I really don't understand why Americans love to play video games so much?
Why do you use PS2 and Xbox and all these gaming devices while PC can offer you much greater gaming experience.
I have played many games in both pc and other platforms
for instance Half Life

when you play it on PC it is much better, quality and control over your character.

rf switch
06-28-2009, 03:47 AM
I just find that the selection of Ben 10 and Dragon Ball Z games is better on the consoles than it is for PC.

Lordwindowlicker
06-28-2009, 03:49 AM
As someone who plays both, I think it's violently ignorant to say that PC gaming is an overall better experience. Personally I believe that they're both valid, yet different experiences.

If you're comparing console ports of PC games, you're missing the point entirely. There are games that play better on PC, that's true.. but that's also true for some games on console. A truly avid gamer would understand this.

Haoie
06-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Configuration. Enough said.

Wolfwood
06-28-2009, 08:10 AM
PC just dosn't have the games i want anymore. Usualy i'd enjoy a good LAN party with my mates and our PC games. But now even that's changed to PS3 lan parties.
It's just not worth the money to keep my PC up-to-date either when i have a console that'll serve all the purposes i use it for.
If it wasn't for adobe, i'd be typing on my PS3 right now :P

Bulf
06-28-2009, 08:38 AM
For one, my PC can't handle that much stuff. And the consoles are just more fun!
Joystick/Controller > Keyboard/mouse. True story.

Storm Strife
06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Joystick/Controller > Keyboard/mouse. Mah Opinion.

Anyway, I enjoy a healthy mix of both PC gaming and console gaming. However, I find that there are some situations where a PC game is better than its console counterpart. For instance, I recently found out that the 360 version of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is dumbed-down in comparison to the PC version.

carolina17
06-28-2009, 10:04 AM
There are games I'll never find on PC and I don't wish to change configuration every 6 months.

dreamspook
06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Cause I could throw/break it easily when I get mad because the game creators are stupid for making that specific game. I have to unplug stuff, get a sledge hammer and all that when it comes to PCs. Laptops are a little bit easier though.
XD

SeraphimAriaRhapsody
06-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Assumptions are bad, okay?

Consoles usually have more of what I want to play than PC, and I can't afford to upgrade my PC for the latest games.

Solipsism
06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Well I do a couple of PC games but that's it...like two.
Selection just isn't there for PC. That, and sometimes it's just nicer to chill out on the sofa with a controller, where as it's...more formal? In a way to be sat at a desk.
And until a couple of years ago if I had wanted to play anything online, the lag was insufferable on the PC.

ichimoku_fanboy
06-28-2009, 03:06 PM
cuz my computer has horrible gaming capabilities, and now all my video memory is used up...

curse this stupid computer!!!

plus the gaming consoles are a lot easier to manage, all you have to do is throw in the disc and make a save file then your on your way, with a computer you have to sit through that agonizing waiting period for installation... >.<

Ryuuzaki HD
06-28-2009, 08:16 PM
I hate waiting for damn installation plus laptops are awkward to play anything on.

Lordwindowlicker
06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I hate both sides... people saying that PC gaming isn't as good as console gaming, and that console gaming sucks compared to PC gaming. They both have their strengths.

Anyway, I enjoy a healthy mix of both PC gaming and console gaming. However, I find that there are some situations where a PC game is better than its console counterpart. For instance, I recently found out that the 360 version of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is dumbed-down in comparison to the PC version.

That's why you play those types of games on PC.. while some games just play better on console.

Storm Strife
06-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I look at the posts complaining about install times, and I really want to see how they cope with a Commodore 64 with only a cassette player. Now THOSE were long loading times...

Lordwindowlicker
06-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Aaahahahahaha! ^^ Good times

I'm actually looking into buying a ZX Spectrum in the next few weeks. I miss the good ol' days.

Seta Souji
06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Assumptions are bad, okay?

Consoles usually have more of what I want to play than PC, and I can't afford to upgrade my PC for the latest games.
I'm sure your pc should be able to play all the current games.

Some games are better on pc (fps and strategy imo) and some better on consoles (street fighter, re5, mgs4, rpgs). If they brought wc3 or d3 on a console, I wouldn't even try playing it because I know I won't like the controls. Same thing if street fighter or rpgs went on pc.

Sparda
06-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Ive been a PC gamer for most of my life, but there is just some games that cant handle mouse and keyboard, vice versa for consoles, i guess i am just not the biggest fan of ports either side....
But like most of the posts above have said there are games that should be played and most likely can only be played on the console or pc and stating that one side is ultimately better then the other is just being ignorant

Shinigami_55
06-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I say i prefer consoles.
all my friends say pc but the pc games arent that much...
pc games basicly are fps, strategy, and mmos(but mmos on consoles is btter 4 me),while consoles have a wide variety of games. a controler wich makes gamming more easy and fun (true, you can get a gamepad 4 pc, but isn not tht good),and i dont need to install/uninstall the game after i get bored of it

and those games they put emulated for pc like re4 just suck. it got no likeness to the game

il Pallazo
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Better pc games:
-FPS
-strategy

all said

Bring Me The Horizon
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
My computer is mind numbingly sucky.So I limited to really lame and bad PC games like halo combat evolved but now that I have a 360 I completely gave up on PC game hunt

lowellgallagher
06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
My console is much faster then my PC... PC for job, console for game)

Avasion
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I find the pc games to be soem what dumb and hard i rather play xbox 360/ps3 way easier to use.

Storm Strife
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I find the pc games to be soem what dumb and hard i rather play xbox 360/ps3 way easier to use.

Thanks.

I almost nerd raged.

Cobra Commander
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I play all my games on my PC. The last console I had was N64, and the last one I had that I truly liked was Sega Saturn. My PC runs all the latest stuff, and I did the last upgrade for that the PS3 costs. My video card has 896mb of ram on it, my processor is an AMD dual core that beats out all modern requirements, and there's 4gb of ram in there for when I get Windows 7, if ever.

GTA4 runs better on my PC than it does on 360. Looks nicer too.

I haven't been gaming as much. At the moment, I'm stuck with my laptop since I don't have my own place yet. It plays Genesis emulations and Age of Empires 2. That's about it.

Used to just play WoW. I didn't have to buy hardware till GTA4 came out.

Gero50
07-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Some people are not as technical when it comes to game software. So often they will find it easier to play set up and use. With a XBOX 360 or PS2 there is nothing to install or configure for the most part. So with that said, it makes it easier for the average person to just have fun without worrying about all the techy stuff. Plus when it comes to the Nintendo fans like myself it's a lot harder to have games on the computer then something that was released for the 360 or PS2. Because a lot of those games were either on the PC first or came out for it short after.

Though, I do agree playing on the computer is a lot funner, there is nothing wrong with just playing on something else once and a while.

Gouki
07-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I would rather use a system than a PC. Its just a royal pain to keep everything up to date on it.

Lordwindowlicker
07-04-2009, 08:46 PM
^^ How so? I've not had to update any hardware on my PC for the last 2 years, and I'm able to play any game I throw at it.

Aizmov
07-05-2009, 04:19 AM
I really don't understand why Americans love to play video games so much?
Why do you use PS2 and Xbox and all these gaming devices while PC can offer you much greater gaming experience.[citation needed]
I have played many games in both pc and other platforms
for instance Half Life

when you play it on PC it is much better, quality and control over your character.[citation needed]

get any facts to back up your claims?
I personally prefer the selection on consoles and handhelds over what's on PCs
hate using Windows unless required by work

The Rogue Devil
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
In my personal opinion, I think games are better on consoles than pc

Sir_Vlaken
07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
The platforms like ps2 has way better graphics most of the time and its easyer to control and susally is faster..and doesnt like freze up all the time

Lordwindowlicker
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
The platforms like ps2 has way better graphics most of the time and its easyer to control and susally is faster..and doesnt like freze up all the time

Guaaah?

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-06-2009, 01:00 AM
The platforms like ps2 has way better graphics most of the time
Nope.

and its easyer to control
Depends, but not really. Protip: You can plug a controller into your pc.

and susally is faster.. and doesnt like freze up all the time

If you meet the recommended requirements and your computer doesn't have AIDS then this is almost never the case. Although stability also varies from game to game.

On topic: I don't necessarily prefer the console to the PC, it's simply that everyone else does and their dollars control where my games end up. But on that note, there are plenty of genres that fail on consoles, like MMOs, RTSs, TBSs, and Stompy Mech Games*.

*I know somebody is going to bring up Front Mission, MechAssault or Armored Core, but let's be fair- they all ultimately suck. MechWarrior is the One True Mech Game. Tooling around a desert, lighting people up with medium lasers at long range is one of life's simple pleasures.

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Any rational person who knows the first thing about gaming will tell you that both conosle, and PC gaming are valid.. and worthwhile depending on your preferences.

Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

KeijiMaeda
07-06-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm going to list the reasons why I chose consoles over PC.

- You generally have to keep updating computers every with new software and whatnot. I have neither the patience nor the funds for this...
- There are far less technical difficulties when playing on consoles, which is necessary for someone like me, since I'm not computer savvy in the slightest.
- Some games just feel more suited to consoles, namely RPG's. I tried playing FFVIII on the PC once and it didn't feel right at all.

Teddy2116
07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
There not really much of a PC selection to me, so I'll stick with the consoles.

-Batman-
07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I look at it this way.

I can play any game , regardless of platform, on my computer in some form or fashion, and they all work perfectly...With the exception of the Wii because....Well lets face it, it doesn't have many games that even matter.

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I look at it this way.

I can play any game , regardless of platform, on my computer in some form or fashion, and they all work perfectly...With the exception of the Wii because....Well lets face it, it doesn't have many games that even matter.

False.
You can play all SORTS of games, but there are plenty of games that you won't be able to play on your PC.

Wii games don't matter? Are you sure you're 20 years old?

Light Buster
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
For one, my PC can't handle that much stuff. And the consoles are just more fun!
Joystick/Controller > Keyboard/mouse. True story.
Same here. My current PC just can't take games like F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. That's where my Xbox 360 comes in. Consoles FTW.:)

-Batman-
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
False.
You can play all SORTS of games, but there are plenty of games that you won't be able to play on your PC.

Only if you don't know how, good sir.
As it stands I can play just about everything PS3, Xbox360 and back on my Machine. Note that my post said "I can play" not "Everyone can play"

Wii games don't matter? Are you sure you're 20 years old?

First and foremost, I said "Most" not "All".

Sorry I don't find the my sims line an epic tale of man vs his own inner demons, or the random bloodbath offered by Mad World fun, or the happy time rail shooters "Point here and shoot this untill it's dead" of House of the Dead and Umbrella Chronicles fun, because God knows these games haven't played exactly the same since they were first conceived.
But I shall rephrase my statement from the previous post.
Most of the games I see that are any good for the Wii are either good for multiplayer fun at get togethers with friends or are nintendo exlusives.
The first of which I don't like because I'm reclusive and prefer to game over the internet as nothing bothers me more than huddeling around a TV with 2-3 other people to play smash brothers or the next raving rabbids whatever.

And the Nintendo exlusives? Up untill the recent E3 annoucements and promises of 300 new Mario titles a shiny new ninja gai... metroid and a zelda title... nintendo had barely released any exclusives that didn't totally suck based on my gaming preferences (To my understanding, the point of this thread) which is why I only own a total of six Wii games.
That said I've given the Wii a fair chance, I've tried many titles but most of which were about as fun to play with as an RC car that didn't have any tires.

Feel free to make any assumptions you like. But I was excited to get a Wii, and when I finally got one, was not happy with it once the Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 credits rolled down my screen.

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Only if you don't know how, good sir.
As it stands I can play just about everything PS3, Xbox360 and back on my Machine. Note that my post said "I can play" not "Everyone can play"

There are currently no working Ps3 emulators. If you say otherwise, you're just attempting to be difficult.

First and foremost, I said "Most" not "All".

Sorry I don't find the my sims line an epic tale of man vs his own inner demons, or the random bloodbath offered by Mad World fun, or the happy time rail shooters "Point here and shoot this untill it's dead" of House of the Dead and Umbrella Chronicles fun, because God knows these games haven't played exactly the same since they were first conceived.
But I shall rephrase my statement from the previous post.
Most of the games I see that are any good for the Wii are either good for multiplayer fun at get togethers with friends or are nintendo exlusives.
The first of which I don't like because I'm reclusive and prefer to game over the internet as nothing bothers me more than huddeling around a TV with 2-3 other people to play smash brothers or the next raving rabbids whatever.

And the Nintendo exlusives? Up untill the recent E3 annoucements and promises of 300 new Mario titles a shiny new ninja gai... metroid and a zelda title... nintendo had barely released any exclusives that didn't totally suck based on my gaming preferences (To my understanding, the point of this thread) which is why I only own a total of six Wii games.
That said I've given the Wii a fair chance, I've tried many titles but most of which were about as fun to play with as an RC car that didn't have any tires.

Feel free to make any assumptions you like. But I was excited to get a Wii, and when I finally got one, was not happy with it once the Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 credits rolled down my screen.

"To each his own" has always been my motto.. but learn that just because you don't care for them, doesn't mean they don't matter. (which is much different than saying that they aren't to your personal taste.)

-Batman-
07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
There are currently no working Ps3 emulators. If you say otherwise, you're just attempting to be difficult.

Oh no, this much is true. However the same could be said about the 360 but a few months ago. Give it a couple of months. Pirates and coders are always getting better, and the emulators they release are always improving. And when it is there, I'll be there as well, probably with an even better system.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a "True" pirate. I buy all my games and own every console. I just like to play around with emulators, roms, and iso's because I can. It's a hobby =3

"To each his own" has always been my motto.. but learn that just because you don't care for them, doesn't mean they don't matter. (which is much different than saying that they aren't to your personal taste.)

Wasn't that the point of this thread?
I could have quoted everyone who said "Consoles are t3h uber PC suxxors" and made a gigantic stink about it like I would have in the past.
But I didn't.
Comment was directed at no one.

Lordwindowlicker
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh no, this much is true. However the same could be said about the 360 but a few months ago. Give it a couple of months. Pirates and coders are always getting better, and the emulators they release are always improving. And when it is there, I'll be there as well, probably with an even better system.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a "True" pirate. I buy all my games and own every console. I just like to play around with emulators, roms, and iso's because I can. It's a hobby =3

The Ps3 hardware is a bit more convoluted, and the games themselves are (as I understand it) written with a bit more low level optimization. So you'll be waiting for a while.

Wasn't that the point of this thread?
I could have quoted everyone who said "Consoles are t3h uber PC suxxors" and made a gigantic stink about it like I would have in the past.
But I didn't.
Comment was directed at no one.

Oh I know it wasn't.. but I could argue that this topic is fairly pointless. Even if your comment wasn't directed at anyone, this is still a forum.. is it not? Doesn't the word forum directly imply discussion? That's why I replied to that portion of it. I find my Wii to be as valid a source of gaming as my Ps3, 360, PSP, PC, DS, NES, N64, Atari Jaguar... etc.

Like I said, I'm a FIRM believer in "to each his own"... If you don't care for the games, that's peachy keen. As long as you understand why many of us find it to be worthwhile. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a refugee from the gametrailers forums, where every Wii topic gets bogged down in "WII IS GAAY!! WII SI FOR Litl KIDZZZ LOLWEEEEE! CALL OF DUTY 4EVOR!" etc, and so on.

RussianBoy
07-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I do not like consoles and usually use PC for games. Cause for playing Counter-Strike, for example, I can only useing PC.

Tsundere Works
07-13-2009, 03:12 AM
In my opinion: Console>PC

Although my PC's fast, I like console better. Besides, it's annoying having to install games all the time.

But you can't play Eroge on console, so you have to use PC. ^^

IFS
07-13-2009, 03:45 AM
I prefere the pc, you can do so much on it, you can work when required to and play games when you want to, and if you want to play a game thats made for a certain console you can download its emulator and of you go, you can also buy controllers for those types of games, I've tried playing call of duty on the xbox and tried it on pc, its way better on the pc then it is on xbox, plus with consoles when one thing breaks you need to take the whole thing in to get fixed, when something on a pc breaks you can replace it yourself, plus you can upgrade your pc as you go along.