PDA

View Full Version : Prototype

Eris
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Has anyone tried this game? I found it on Steam, and it looks kinda neat looking at the trailers.

JvsUkUaJjYs
V129-5QK86o

Storm Strife
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I have it. It's a good game, pretty much how a super-power sandbox game should be. It's not without its flaws though.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-18-2009, 03:30 PM
It's alright. The mission where they take away most of your powers and tell you to simultaneously fight off a pack of respawning hunters 4 tanks and 2 helicopters is probably a bad design decision though.

LunaOverdrive
06-18-2009, 04:13 PM
It reminds me a lot of Infameous, which I feel is the better game.

Rem Nightfall
06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Personally, I think Prototype is a better then Infamous in the sense of the abilities used by the characters. I also like the violence and the fighting in Prototype over Infamous.

Ari_86
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Um, it looks pretty good. I've never played it myself. Looking at the trailer it looks pretty good. So maybe I will buy it sometime and see how good it actually is.

k-kid
06-20-2009, 01:49 PM
It looks like they put a lot of thought into this game.

I like the whole tentacle thing.

Though, in my opinion the story line seemed a bit sketchy, and the camera sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable.

Nevertheless, the action and fight scenes as well as the controls blend together seamlessly to create that on the edge-open threat thriller game I crave.

Not to mention I just absolutely adore how fast paced the fighting is.

I also am a big fan of sand box games. Freedom plays a big part in the actual popularity of the game.

I would recommend this game to you.

bman11
06-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I say dont waste your time. i rented it. and it felt way too much like Crackdown with a face lift. thats basically what i felt it was. but if you just like repetative games that change a bit as time goes on then go ahead. plus i was a little drunk the whole time i was playin that junk

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-22-2009, 01:43 AM
I'd like to point out that the game would be a little cooler if they made the Main Character and actual ninja instead of just giving him every ninja power, including tentacles.

KillerDragonX
06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
i would have to go with prototype over infamous, there is a lot more chaos in prototype plus the array of powers and abilities make the possiblities virtually endless

Eris
06-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Infamous is no option for me, since I haven't gotten around to selling my kidney on the black market to get enough money to buy a PS3.

k-kid
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd like to point out that the game would be a little cooler if they made the Main Character and actual ninja instead of just giving him every ninja power, including tentacles.

Maybe they didn't because Ninja's have become somewhat cliche.

Except for Ninja Gaiden ;)

The Governator
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I find it one of the most boring, average and un-inspired games of the year so far (till the next Halo game), it felt like a inFamous rip-off with some elements of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows thrown in. Basically it is a poor game that should be given away, and then in my book your getting rip-offed, just not as badly as paying 40 for it.

Ok, so maybe I do hate it, when I played it at a mates house, I got bored before I even killed some-one, the camera moves far too slow for how fast you move, the enemy design is stock and generic, the main character is the most annoying smug looking bad hair-cut college yuppie I've ever seen and the "stealth" kills are a joke, seriously, I could be more stealth in full plate mail with a boom-box blasting Vanilla Ice out of it, seriously, it is the worst stealth killing I've ever seen.

If you want it for free, get a demo, make some card-board cut outs and just replay the demo over and over again until you feel its as long as it should be, because I can guarantee you that it is the same all the way through.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
I havent played it but the trailers look great but the in game footage looks pretty poor just like Red Faction Guerilla and just about every game now.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I find it one of the most boring, average and un-inspired games of the year so far (till the next Halo game), it felt like a inFamous rip-off with some elements of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows thrown in. Basically it is a poor game that should be given away, and then in my book your getting rip-offed, just not as badly as paying 40 for it.
Riddle me this, Batman: How can you rip-off a game released a month before hand? It's also important to note that Radical has been doing sandbox games for a while, they were the ones responsible for Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which is a game fairly similar to Prototype. inFamous on the other hand is made by the people who made that Raccoon action platformer. If anyone ripped off anyone it's the Raccoon-people.

Ok, so maybe I do hate it, when I played it at a mates house, I got bored before I even killed some-one, the camera moves far too slow for how fast you move, the enemy design is stock and generic, the main character is the most annoying smug looking bad hair-cut college yuppie I've ever seen and the "stealth" kills are a joke, seriously, I could be more stealth in full plate mail with a boom-box blasting Vanilla Ice out of it, seriously, it is the worst stealth killing I've ever seen.

How is this worse then the impenetrable, unsaleable chain link fences that plague inFamous? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/27/)

Penny Arcade sums up the case for Prototype nicely.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/19/

Storm Strife
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM

That sold it for me.

Even though I own the game and have completed the storyline.

The Governator
06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Riddle me this, Batman: How can you rip-off a game released a month before hand? It's also important to note that Radical has been doing sandbox games for a while, they were the ones responsible for Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which is a game fairly similar to Prototype. inFamous on the other hand is made by the people who made that Raccoon action platformer. If anyone ripped off anyone it's the Raccoon-people.

How is this worse then the impenetrable, unsaleable chain link fences that plague inFamous? (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/5/27/)

Why is call it a rip-off is simple, in both games, the main character runs around a sand-box world with rubbish parkour blowing up stuff and/or people.

And I didn't say it was worse, they are both terrible games. Oh and anything on Penny Arcade gets instant fail, Penny Arcade is not funny.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Why is call it a rip-off is simple, in both games, the main character runs around a sand-box world with rubbish parkour blowing up stuff and/or people.

How could they rip off a game that wasn't even created yet? Are you implying that Radical is in possession of some sort of time machine?

It isn't. It really couldn't be, if anything it's a logical progression from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. You might draw a comparison between it and any given Spiderman, but it only works if you haven't played Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. If you had, you'd realize that all of the movement mechanics other then glide were present then too, they simply moved the game into a city, replaced weaponizations with transformations, and gave Hulk a skin bleach. Which is a valid enough endeavor, because the basic game was excellent and sold well in spite of being a license game. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the first decent 3D sandbox beat um up to deliver ultraviolence. What is Radical ripping off from other people's games?

And I didn't say it was worse, they are both terrible games. Oh and anything on Penny Arcade gets instant fail, Penny Arcade is not funny.
I know right, because I was totally making a point that depended on how funny Penny Arcade is. The point, and I will state it clearly for you, is that the game is mindless fun, and there are people that can enjoy that. It isn't very deep, but it is satisfying. You don't have to be ragging on a game mindlessly just because you don't like that type of game.

Lordwindowlicker
06-28-2009, 12:00 AM
I love infamous, but haven't had the money for Prototype yet. Maybe this paycheck.. it looks fantastic.

-Batman-
07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
This (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/789-Prototype) actually sums up my feelings on the game pretty well.
And I normally don't agree with yahtzee...Okay, I totally do, but this more-so than usual.

ichimoku_fanboy
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
i was really disappointed with it, im really glad i waited to rent it instead of buying it... it had loads of flaws...

the main reasons were the script was horrible, whoever wrote it had the writing ability of a slug

no real reason behind Alex's motives, he wakes up and gets pissed as hell for some reason? does he have bipolar disorder or something?

and the AI wasnt very good at all, they see you they start shooting, your in a disguise and jump 50 stories right in front of them, nothing, you could even be seeing dragging a guy off, and then have him survive a ten some story fall right in front of their eyes and nothing besides a "what was that?", and the people dont even seem to notice that their guys just start disappearing at an alarming rate inside the warehouses (stealth consuming, or basically eating them when no ones watching)

the crowd was so obviously cut and pasted that twenty of the same outfit could be standing next to eachother...

not to mention the game crashed on me twice...

the game was a huge let down to me... >.<
id give it 3/10

k-kid
07-04-2009, 04:50 AM
i was really disappointed with it, im really glad i waited to rent it instead of buying it... it had loads of flaws...

the main reasons were the script was horrible, whoever wrote it had the writing ability of a slug

no real reason behind Alex's motives, he wakes up and gets pissed as hell for some reason? does he have bipolar disorder or something?

and the AI wasnt very good at all, they see you they start shooting, your in a disguise and jump 50 stories right in front of them, nothing, you could even be seeing dragging a guy off, and then have him survive a ten some story fall right in front of their eyes and nothing besides a "what was that?", and the people dont even seem to notice that their guys just start disappearing at an alarming rate inside the warehouses (stealth consuming, or basically eating them when no ones watching)

the crowd was so obviously cut and pasted that twenty of the same outfit could be standing next to eachother...

not to mention the game crashed on me twice...

the game was a huge let down to me... >.<
id give it 3/10

Yada Yada Yada

I'd like to see you make a better game ;) (respectively)

No offense Intended

Lordwindowlicker
07-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Yada Yada Yada

I'd like to see you make a better game ;) (respectively)

No offense Intended

I hate it when people argue that. "I'd like to see you do better".

Yes, he obviously couldn't have made a better game all by himself. Just as Roger Ebert isn't a very good film director. That doesn't mean his opinions carry no weight.

Storm Strife
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
So, does anyone remember that Yahzee said that he'd decide which was better out of inFamous and Prototype by how good the developers could make their characters look in womens lingerie?

They took him seriously. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6228-Yahtzees-Prototype-vs-InFamous-Challenge)

-Batman-
07-04-2009, 02:36 PM
So, does anyone remember that Yahzee said that he'd decide which was better out of inFamous and Prototype by how good the developers could make their characters look in womens lingerie?

They took him seriously. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6228-Yahtzees-Prototype-vs-InFamous-Challenge)
HAHAHAHA
Oh my god, awesome.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-04-2009, 04:41 PM

I disagree with his verdict, though. The point was to mock the other games protagonist, not draw a Rule 63 picture of them.

Saint Seiya
07-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Im glad i bought this game, the game was FUN and thats what i look for in games, FUN, not perfection.
It has it flaws, like any other game out there and the graphics couldve been better. But honestly who cares? Everytime i grabbed an object and it became transparent i thought wow... its invisible but who cares cause i can throw it at that freakin helicopter and destroy it. Who cares about graphics when you can do virtually anything in that game, i loved it, i loved the violence and the powers.
And honestly i think its great that you can jump from a building or fly in front of the military and nothing would happen, cause srsly.. it would be really annoying getting caught doing that.

Gero50
07-06-2009, 12:01 AM
It looks col and I have heard of it before. I would say you should try it. If I had the system for it I know I would.

LeRolls
07-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I really like Prototype! The fun-factor is through the roof. The story isn't the best and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a last gen game but I'm still I got it.