PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted with Nintendo

mister sister
06-12-2009, 12:18 AM
A few days ago I read the news about Nintendo releasing a Black Wii and a Red DSi and I became really angry at the notion that Nintendo could have released the Black Wii when the Wii first launched.... the Black Wii just looks more appealing.

Then at E3 the announcements of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii cam out.... instead of become joyful I became angry. I felt that Nintendo doesn't really care and just releasing crap for the money.

I mean, COME ON! Both games look like nothing new or inovative....

I finally feel that Nintendo is a gimmik, They have the best selling console and have very few good games for it.

Any one else feel disgusted with Nintendo... or is it just me?

SigmaSD
06-12-2009, 12:23 AM
It may be just you, but I don't know. I haven't really seen the new games that they'll release, since I don't get the Nintendo Power magazine anymore. But I do feel slight anger at the fact that we had to settle for a white Wii instead of a choice of black.

Sparda
06-12-2009, 12:39 AM
No need to worry they have been like this for years.... with many of there consoles, its all about the money, its just expected now for them to pull from the depleted pile of plots and gameplay to bring together another clone of a game

mister sister
06-12-2009, 12:42 AM
No need to worry they have been like this for years.... with many of there consoles, its all about the money, its just expected now for them to pull from the depleted pile of plots and gameplay to bring together another clone of a game

I guess you're right... like the 20+ Pokemon games that are pretty much different variations of the same thing.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I love Nintendo ive been playing Mario games since I could walk I was so excited to hear about Mario bros wii with 4 players and Mario galaxy 2 with riding Yoshi in 3D for the first time they are my 2 most wanted games, I like the way they have kept the gameplay style the same but added new features I hope Mario never changes.

I really couldnt care less about what colour the Wii is to be honest, it makes no difference what so ever to me.

Atsui Sake
06-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Let's face it, just about every company out there, even the ones we know and love, are going to be money grubbers. Whatever gimmick they can find, they will use. Why? Because they know that fans will buy. Nintendo has a large fan base because they've been around for a long time.

Bulf
06-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Nintendo can't satisfy everyone. Get over it, or i'll make you //12
If you want hardcore games, go to Sony of Microsoft. The Wii is more of a Family console, not a hardcore one.

Miss Moonlight
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Nintendo is a company that needs to care about it's bottom line, just like every other company out there. If you're looking for hardcore games, you most likely won't find it on the wii.

Kojack
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
They have the best selling console and have very few good games for it.
They have very few good games because they have the best selling console. They're selling to your mom and little sister, not you.

Storm Strife
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
What old Nintendo fans have to realise is that Nintendo have changed core audiences. They're no longer aiming to please the hardcore market, they're going with the casual market. And until you accept that and look to other companies, you're going to continue to be disappointed with Nintendo.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Nintendo has sucked since the launch of the 64. They simply weren't popular enough to go after the non-Nintendo fanboy/ 8 year old audience. Discuss.

Storm Strife
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Can't. I grew up with the C64, Amiga and Playstation, so I have no experience of Nintendo during the NES & SNES years.

Seņor Nobody
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Like stated above, Nintendo is a family console and stopped shooting for the hard-core audience.

If you keep expecting games like they once produced, you are going to continue being disappointed.

Edit: I liked the 64, it was one of my favorite consoles back then.

Mr. Panda
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll target older gamers in the future.

LunaOverdrive
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Nintendo started going downhill when they lost third party support. They use to have strong third party companies (such as Rare) that put out great games between Nintendo's own releases. Now, we are left with only Nintendo games with a good year between games and very little to satisfy in between.

AnimeLife Dreamer
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
A few days ago I read the news about Nintendo releasing a Black Wii and a Red DSi and I became really angry at the notion that Nintendo could have released the Black Wii when the Wii first launched.... the Black Wii just looks more appealing.

Then at E3 the announcements of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii cam out.... instead of become joyful I became angry. I felt that Nintendo doesn't really care and just releasing crap for the money.

I finally feel that Nintendo is a gimmik, They have the best selling console and have very few good games for it.

I do kinda do agree with you now that i think about, but i aint all that disgusted, just... well.. idk how i feel abou ti right now
but i do agree... >.>

Thou i do see the other side, since i been reading what ppl said...
im the hard-core game player... i like the GR in games...
so yeah i gues i understand that

(god im useless in pro's and con's i never pick oneside really... )

Kishiro
06-13-2009, 12:01 AM

First off... settle down there skipper, you need to calm it down. You are disgusted with Nintendo because they didn't release a black Wii when the system first launched? Why are you not disgusted with Microsoft for not releasing there green (http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/07/11/xbox360_halo.jpg), black (http://www.coderetard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/black-xbox-360.jpg), and red (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/red-xbox-360_1.jpg) XB360s at launch? Perhaps because at least 2 of them were "gimmicks" to sell consoles and games?

All of the companies are out to make money, if they happen to please you in the process, they see it as a bonus, and see you as possible repeat income. You are nothing more than a number to them. You should really try to understand that.

They all use gimmicks to get new customers, and to get current ones to buy more and more items. They release new colors and more variations as popularity grows. It would not be smart to offer EVERYTHING at once all up front and then have something flop. That's not the way business works. You give the public a taste, and if they like it, you give them more.

Secondly... could I see your report card? I want to make sure the F next to English is as big as I think it is.

Ωmega
06-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Im disgusted with Nintendo, but for different reasons. Mainly at NoA and what titles they decide to bring overseas.

Theres been a fantastic list of Japanese games for the console, none of which will see the light of day in America.

...which makes me cry.

As for the black Wii....eh. Theres tons of skins you can buy for the Wii online, many of them black. So Im not too upset about that.

JIMBO.
06-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Can't. I grew up with the C64, Amiga and Playstation, so I have no experience of Nintendo during the NES & SNES years.

I grew with c64 amiga and megadrive (genesis) I disliked the feel of a lot of the nes (horid cliping graphic) and snes game

Mr. Panda
06-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Nintendo started going downhill when they lost third party support. They use to have strong third party companies (such as Rare) that put out great games between Nintendo's own releases. Now, we are left with only Nintendo games with a good year between games and very little to satisfy in between.

Oh wow, I totally agree. That's when Nintendo started messing things up!

Everytime I go to the gamestore here in my city, I look at the shelves of Nintendo and shelves of Playstation. I ask the clerk "Hey, uhm, where are the GameCube games?" He told me they were selling really bad so he didn't sell them anymore. Then I stood in front of a whole Wii/DS rack of games. And, the funny thing was, for a lot of Wii games, there was a much worse DS game. Seriously, the only FUN games I saw there, had to be Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, Mad World (which I recently bought. Awesome game), Smash Bross Melee, CoD 5 (which is surprisingly fun...) and that's it. The other games are...*shivers* I've even seen a game about horses...? I think it was a Barbie game. >_>

carolina17
06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Gamecube sales were not so great. This time, Nintendo Wii is selling like hot cakes. It is funny to notice that Wii is more or less a gamecube with a different joystick and improved graphics. Nintendo reached a broader audience from kids to seniors which is not a bad thing. Now, Sony and Microsoft are planning new accessories like project Natal (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsofts-shane-kim) to reach people who never played video games i.e girls and seniors. By the way, I like Nintendo games. I just hope we will see a price cut for Nintendo Wii (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090612-714713.html).

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure they'll target older gamers in the future.

HA! People have been saying that for years. Nintendo has always marketed itself to children, why should they stop now? I'm not saying they won't throw you a Metroid every now and then, but Nintendo systems are always going to be a bastion of Barbie Horse Adventures and mini-games.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Nintendo have the best selling game of all time with Wii sports that has sold45.7 million copys so they must be doing something right actually forget that they are doing everything right.

Bulf
06-14-2009, 01:28 AM
HA! People have been saying that for years. Nintendo has always marketed itself to children, why should they stop now? I'm not saying they won't throw you a Metroid every now and then, but Nintendo systems are always going to be a bastion of Barbie Horse Adventures and mini-games.

I've never seen a barbie game on a Nintendo console...

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Nintendo have the best selling game of all time with Wii sports that has sold45.7 million copys so they must be doing something right actually forget that they are doing everything right.
Well, if by "everything right" you mean "are making money selling things" yes. If by "everything right" you mean satisfying Nintendo fans, wooing "hardcore" gamers, or producing games that would more or less qualify as art, most emphatically no.

Miss Moonlight
06-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Oh, must be the area. At my local rite aid, they used to have "Barbie's Horse Adventure (http://pcvidgames.com/img/502f4230303030394e4836432e30312e5f53434d5a5a5a5a5a 5a5a5f.jpg)" for the GBA. I was going to snag a copy, when I realized that I would rather fork myself in the eye than actually play it.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2009, 01:52 AM
18 games produced for the various GBs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=barbie&platform=0&s=s). And 3 on other consoles... but who's counting?

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 01:56 AM
satisfying Nintendo fans, wooing "hardcore" gamers, or producing games that would more or less qualify as art, most emphatically no.

That all comes down to opinion. Ive always been satisfied with Nintendo, im a hardcore gamer and id still rather be playing a Zelda game than anything else other consoles offer and it depends on what you call art.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2009, 02:04 AM
That all comes down to opinion. Ive always been satisfied with Nintendo, im a hardcore gamer and id still rather be playing a Zelda game than anything else other consoles offer
Well, I've heard growing dissatisfaction from almost every gamer I've ever encountered that bought the console, so I assume you're the outlier.

and it depends on what you call art.
If you assign any meaning to the term at all, I invite you to go to your local used game store, go to the wall covered in Wii titles, and pick out the ones that seem like art. Compare this to the remainder.

Hanamaru Kunikida
06-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Why didn't you imported a Black Japanese Wii and import your games?..(or mod it and get your NTSC games LEGALLY).

Also, you not knowing Japanese it's not the problem....money isn't the problem neither.

rf switch
06-14-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm still bitter about the US getting an fugly Super Nintendo. But I still get Nintendo's things and even to some degree enjoy them. They're not the only ones guilty of holding back on different color systems.

Mr. Panda
06-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I just sent a mail to Nintendo, expressing my thoughts about their games lately.

In short what I said, was that I thought their games were awesome but in my opinion it was going downhill with the other games. They couldn't just count on their most famous games to keep the money rolling in. Take PS3, for example, it has besides its DMC, SC etc a lot of other fun games.

This was the reply of one called Barbara:

Hi Noah,

I’m sorry to hear that you think that our games for the different systems seem to be childish and not as innovative as in the past. We hear from a lot of "new gamers" who would disagree with your assessment. Never before have our products so strongly appealed to everyone—male and female, young and not-so-young. Never before has there been such a wide variety of software for a videogame system, everything from princesses and puppies to street racing and space carnage.

That said, I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us. Rest assured that your email will be forwarded on to the appropriate department for further review.

Sincerely,

Barbara Soules
Nintendo of America Inc.

I gave it some thought, because in a way she was right, but still, I couldn't help but feel that she was being a little bit too optimistic. Hmm. o_o

rf switch
06-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Nintendo's bank statements say they're doing something right

kero_-_chan
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
lol fanboy, how can you in anyway be pissed at a company for making good business decisions and netting larger profits for targetting the audience with the most money to spend that is also willing to spend it.

housewives/mum's have alot of free time and as adults with husbands making teh monies, they are gonna buy alot.

but mainly it comes down to kids, most are spoilt to bits today with gifts from their idiotic parents who'd rather be friends with their kids then actual parents, they will spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on whatever their kid wants, so of course a wise company will market to them, your average hard-core gamer is between 15 and 25, most are single males, they dont make much, they dont spend much and they can be VERY picky.......surely you understand my point.

your are LESS then a number to them, you are the amount of money in your hand at the checkout, and unfortunatly for you, parents and indirectly their kids, have alot more then you, so nintendo is obviously gonna give you the finger and go for the hands holding alot more money. you cant blame them, and you cant hate them.

(and for the sake of proving my relevance to the topic, i have every zelda game period. all the mario's for the nes, still have a nes, a snes, a n64, and a cube of lame and i dont hate nintendo for discarding 'hard-core customers')

rf switch
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Even then, Nintendo's "hardcore" games have been represented on the Wii.
Mario
Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Zelda
Metroid
Fire Emblem
PunchOut!!

another Pikmin is coming, along with Mario Galaxy 2, a new Metroid, another Zelda game.

They got Dragon Quest back
Sin & Punishment 2 by Treasure. (If you don't consider Treasure games "hardcore" then maybe the problem is you.)

The games are there for it. You just need to find them I guess. I mean N64 and Gamecube only got 1 real mario game each. And the Gamecubes was a bit of a upgrade from the once planned N64DD game.

Are there franchises they're ignoring or something Redictus?

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
When is that new Pikmin game coming out? I can't find any info.

Gjallarhorn
06-14-2009, 07:51 PM
When is that new Pikmin game coming out? I can't find any info.

There's been no date announced. Miyamoto simply mentioned that it is in development after E3.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 07:57 PM
damn I was getting excited I hope they release it soon, Pikmin 3 added to preorder list.

Lordwindowlicker
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Plenty of people are disgusted with Nintendo, but I'm certainly not one of them. I truly believe that most of the ire they've earned is baseless. Look at the games on the horizon.. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Yeah, if you get onto this one for not innovating.. then you're missing the point entirely), Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Galaxy was a masterpiece, and I'm excited for this as well), Metroid: Other M (Do I even need to explain?).. with Zelda and Pikmin 3 confirmed, and the third parties stepping things up with Muramasa, No More Heroes 2, etc?

So far we've seen the majority of their best franchises already represented, and more on on the way.. I don't see how any older gamers could be disappointed. (Unless you're VERY picky)

Bulf
06-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I think what Nintendo is trying to do, is make some games for hardcore gamers, that'll last. Not many, but some. (not right now though, they're still busy making games for the more casual gamers) Take Kart, or Brawl for example. The wi-fi keeps it fun, and most occupied. Why make a new Smash bros, if Brawl is still being played online so often? Also, where did you write to Redictus? I'd love to write to Nintendo, just to get a response...

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I love Smash Bros I just wish you sould talk to the other players online.

Lordwindowlicker
06-14-2009, 10:42 PM

There have been plenty.

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary%27s/Pictures/NESGameCovers/Barbie.jpg

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-15-2009, 12:51 AM
lol fanboy, how can you in anyway be pissed at a company for making good business decisions and netting larger profits for targetting the audience with the most money to spend that is also willing to spend it.

housewives/mum's have alot of free time and as adults with husbands making teh monies, they are gonna buy alot.

but mainly it comes down to kids, most are spoilt to bits today with gifts from their idiotic parents who'd rather be friends with their kids then actual parents, they will spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on whatever their kid wants, so of course a wise company will market to them, your average hard-core gamer is between 15 and 25, most are single males, they dont make much, they dont spend much and they can be VERY picky.......surely you understand my point.

your are LESS then a number to them, you are the amount of money in your hand at the checkout, and unfortunatly for you, parents and indirectly their kids, have alot more then you, so nintendo is obviously gonna give you the finger and go for the hands holding alot more money. you cant blame them, and you cant hate them.

(and for the sake of proving my relevance to the topic, i have every zelda game period. all the mario's for the nes, still have a nes, a snes, a n64, and a cube of lame and i dont hate nintendo for discarding 'hard-core customers')

Your response would be appropriate if the OP was complaining about the Wii not being mass-market enough. Unfortunately, the OP was talking about being kicked to the curb, and all your talking about the new markets Nintendo is exploiting doesn't really address that issue.

You're excusing Nintendo for forgetting about the demographic that sustained them through the lean years in favor of more money, which is fine, I guess. But at the same time it doesn't change the fact that their fans have become second-class citizens given out a handful of titles a year. Nintendo being a bloodthirsty corporation doesn't make the OP's grievances less real.

Lordwindowlicker
06-15-2009, 01:11 AM
^^ Many of us genuinely don't believe that they've forgotten. Especially based on what we saw this E3. His complaints may be sound, but those of us who feel differently have equally valid points. Like I've said, they have released games based on most of their best franchises.. and just look at what's on the way.

Mr. Panda
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Actually, what I wrote to Nintendo, I take that back, rofl.

I've been watching some reviews about E3 and the games of Nintendo, and I must say I'm very much impressed. *nodnod*

Lordwindowlicker
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm REALLY excited to see where the new Metroid is going. I adored the first two Prime games, but with Prime 3 it was time to move on.

Where the original Metroid Prime actually felt like Metroid in 3d, Metroid Prime felt less like Metroid, and more like "a game in the metroid prime series"... If that makes any sense to you.

Doctor One
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I was once a hardcore nintendo fanboy. I used to say, "I'm getting a wii if I'm getting any of those consoles." But then I started playing the wii, and I saw all the games for it.
Nothing but railshooters, crappy party games, halfass swordfighting games and SSBB. MP3, Super mario galaxy, No more heros and Madworld are not enough to make this console worth buying.
-
Now the DS isn't as bad. I mean it's a handheld. Puzzle games and simple things are expected to be on it, that's what it's for. But the DSI just irritated me. "OOO! IT HAS A CAMERA!" Okay... can I play some GBA games on it? NO? YOU JERKS. I was already mad when I found out that game boy color games don't fit into the DS.

Nintendo just isn't what it used to be. Innovation means nothing if your not going to do anything with the new ideas. And if you do something with the new ideas, exacute it properly. Don't just shove Wii-mote waving and touch screen squiggling into what might have been a good game.
-
Gettin' a 360. It'll be my first non-nintendo console.

Brojasu
06-17-2009, 01:24 AM
sounds to me like no matter what Nintendo does ppl are going to complain. Was there a Silver PS3 or Black 360 at launch? no, nobody complained about them. NSMBWii looks like a fun little game when ppl come over and SMG2 is building upon arguably the greatest game this gen. And the "nintendo has no hardcore games" crap no longer works, they showed a new Mario RPG, Golden Sun AND a new metroid. what did MS have? some multiplats and an upgraded eyetoy. Now THATS something to complain about

SGI
06-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Wow... a company re-releases a console in a different color.

OMG! A Company releases a sequel to a game which is just the same as the first.

SHOCK! HORROR! OH MY GOD THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE EVER!

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
sounds to me like no matter what Nintendo does ppl are going to complain. Was there a Silver PS3 or Black 360 at launch? no, nobody complained about them. NSMBWii looks like a fun little game when ppl come over and SMG2 is building upon arguably the greatest game this gen. And the "nintendo has no hardcore games" crap no longer works, they showed a new Mario RPG, Golden Sun AND a new metroid. what did MS have? some multiplats and an upgraded eyetoy. Now THATS something to complain about
Wait... Since when did two JRPGS (one of which featuring mario) and an Adventure-Shooter-Platformer become hardcore?

Ryuuzaki HD
06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Why do most people on here seem to be under the impression that hardcore gamers don't enjoy casual games they don't look at a game and say "that looks like it will be to much fun for me so im not going to buy it".

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Why do most people on here seem to be under the impression that hardcore gamers don't enjoy casual games they don't look at a game and say "that looks like it will be to much fun for me so im not going to buy it".
Hardcore gamers usually play and perfer hardcore games. Similarly, casual gamers usually play and perfer casual games.

An important point: one group often finds things fun the other does not. There are very few people that are going to break from playing whatever their first-person shooter of choice is to play some Mario RPG or Golden Sun. They are not hardcore games. It's possible to argue that Metroid has some hardcore appeal, but the near-complete absence of other hardcore-oriented games on the console means that few hardcore gamers (still) own Wiis and the noted absence of hardcore games on Nintendo consoles means very few are going to be willing to buy a Wii to play Metroid alone.

Lordwindowlicker
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

While I HATE the term "hardcore" gamer.. I'd say the most avid of gamers would play a little bit of everything.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Its true that most hardcore gamers are not going to stop playing competitive games alltogether to play a Nintendo game but what im trying to say is alot of hardcore gamers play chilled out fun games in between playing hardcore games and for me thats the main reason I play Wii games to break from popping heads on Gears 2.

While I HATE the term "hardcore" gamer.. I'd say the most avid of gamers would play a little bit of everything.

It depends on your definition of hardcore gamer and avid gamer, to me a Hardcore gamer is someone who plays for the competition and plays games seriously, and a avid gamer to me just enjoys games in general.

Buruku
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Simply put: I hate what Nintendo is doing to the industry. That's kind of extreme, but I feel like they've abandoned a lot of their fans in order to gain new ones. Like grandma and grandpa.

Lordwindowlicker
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
It depends on your definition of hardcore gamer and avid gamer, to me a Hardcore gamer is someone who plays for the competition and plays games seriously, and a avid gamer to me just enjoys games in general.

How does one play "seriously". Hardcore is such a douchey term..

Ryuuzaki HD
06-17-2009, 09:18 PM
How does one play "seriously". Hardcore is such a douchey term..

What I mean by seriously is playing to win and generally just taking it seriously as opposed to just playing for the fun of it or just for something to do.

I personally don't like the term harcore either but thats what people are calling it now so im just going with it.

Lordwindowlicker
06-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't tend to follow the crowd, because it's usually comprised of a bunch of twits. So I don't use the term.

I play for fun, but I play often and with "mucho gusto".

Storm Strife
06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Personally, I think a hardcore gamer comes in different variants. Some play for the competition, some play to win, and so on.

Myself, I consider myself to be part of the hardcore crowd. However, I play for the challenge and for fun.

Brojasu
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Wait... Since when did two JRPGS (one of which featuring mario) and an Adventure-Shooter-Platformer become hardcore?
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/brojasu/facepalm.jpg
(http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=44458)

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/brojasu/facepalm.jpg
(http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=44458)

Thanks for the informative explanation of your position. Maybe next post you should post a picture of a screeching owl going "NO WAI," it would be incredibly relevant and funny, and net you like, 40000 epeen points.

LunaOverdrive
06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
<i>Nintendo's bank statements say they're doing something right</i>

Sales does not always translate to quality.

According to your logic, the Backstreet Boys were better than The Beatles.

rf switch
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
<i>Nintendo's bank statements say they're doing something right</i>

Sales does not always translate to quality.

According to your logic, the Backstreet Boys were better than The Beatles.
You're twisting the logic. It's not about a better product or better quality when it comes to doing things right. Nintendo is a business. A corporation. They have share holders and the like to please before they worry about pleasing the "Hardcore gamer". They're making a boatload of money from the Wii and DS. From a business perspective they are doing something very right.

And the Backstreet Boys could very well be better than The Beatles. Music is all subjective just like games are. Plenty of girls who were teenagers in the late 90's/early 2000's will probably tell you that the Backstreet Boys were better than The Beatles. Just like many women who were young in the 60's will tell you it was all about The Beatles.

Bulf
06-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Simply put: I hate what Nintendo is doing to the industry. That's kind of extreme, but I feel like they've abandoned a lot of their fans in order to gain new ones. Like grandma and grandpa.

A real fan would probably stick by Nintendo's side, and get used to the "New Nintendo", Like me. so they aren't really abandoning fans, it's the other way around. I really don't care whether it's a "hardcore game" or not, If it looks fun, i'll buy it.

Lordwindowlicker
06-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Nintendo is doing a fine job, and they've released some damned good games this gen. As a first party game publisher they've done more than people will give them credit for.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2009, 10:06 AM
You're twisting the logic. It's not about a better product or better quality when it comes to doing things right. Nintendo is a business. A corporation. They have share holders and the like to please before they worry about pleasing the "Hardcore gamer". They're making a boatload of money from the Wii and DS. From a business perspective they are doing something very right.

And the Backstreet Boys could very well be better than The Beatles. Music is all subjective just like games are. Plenty of girls who were teenagers in the late 90's/early 2000's will probably tell you that the Backstreet Boys were better than The Beatles. Just like many women who were young in the 60's will tell you it was all about The Beatles.

The problem with arguing from popularity is that the masses have horrible taste. From the subjective perspective of a longtime gamer that doesn't like minigames, the current generation of Nintendo platforms are a box full of AIDS. Arguing that the Wii is a good video system based on the purchases of people who don't really play videogames is silly. They are not knowledgeable enough that their opinions on the subject matter. We can safely put on our elitist tophats and monocles for this one.

A real fan would probably stick by Nintendo's side, and get used to the "New Nintendo", Like me. so they aren't really abandoning fans, it's the other way around. I really don't care whether it's a "hardcore game" or not, If it looks fun, i'll buy it.

The Stockholm Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome) is strong with this one. Why should you adapt to a company that no longer has your interests in mind? What do you owe them?

Lordwindowlicker
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
The problem with arguing from popularity is that the masses have horrible taste. From the subjective perspective of a longtime gamer that doesn't like minigames, the current generation of Nintendo platforms are a box full of AIDS. Arguing that the Wii is a good video system based on the purchases of people who don't really play videogames is silly. They are not knowledgeable enough that their opinions on the subject matter. We can safely put on our elitist tophats and monocles for this one.

While I'll agree wholeheartedly that popularity is NEVER a good berometer of quality.. There are more reasons to argue that Wii is a good game console, beyond the Wii Fit sales. I've been a gamer (PC, Console, etc) since around 1987, and I can safely say that I'm very satisfied with my Wii as a game console.

The Stockholm Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome) is strong with this one. Why should you adapt to a company that no longer has your interests in mind? What do you owe them?

That's not an absolute though.. You argue that as if it were a fact, while I would argue otherwise. Yes, they did seem to lose sight of the big picture a while back, but after E3 this year.. everything seems to be fine.

Let's look at the facts. First party (so-called "casual") software released by Nintendo that has earned the ire of the gaming community.

Wii Fit
Wii Sports
Wii Music
Possibly Brain Age?
(edit) Oh yeah, I forgot about Wii Play which is total crap.. save for that laser air hockey game.
------------- (On the Way)---------
Wii Fit Plus
Wii Sports Resort.

Now we have games that have been released for the fans.

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Super Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Punch Out!
Animal Crossing: City Folk (I argue this one, because it was popular before the current "casual scare")
Mario Kart Wii (Say what you will, I enjoyed it)
Wario Land Shake It
(plus others that didn't just come to mind)

They have quite a few games covered in that list, and I'd argue that their only real wrongdoing is setting the stage for the third parties to flood the market with their sewage.. Although if you're a savy gamer, you'll know where to look to find gems in the sea of feces. Besides, ratios mean nothing if you have enough to play on the good end.

We have some superb third party games, and more on the way. Virtual Console is pure happiness for the elder gamers.. and with Nintendo working on new Zelda, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Pikmin 3, and the supposed Kirby game.. yeah, I'm not exactly disappointed.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Last night I was reminded of another reason why the Wii is great when I found my lost DBZ BT3, any console with the best DBZ game out can't be bad.

Bulf
06-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, at least Nintendo doesn't make you pay for online gaming. That would suck horribly D:

Ryuuzaki HD
06-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, at least Nintendo doesn't make you pay for online gaming. That would suck horribly D:

The online is terrible I doubt anyone would pay for it especilly with the lack of communication bettween players.

Ipsilon V
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
The online on mario kart is superb. I wouldn't pay for a service that should be free, like an online service, even if you can communicate (Which I often find never works and ends up being a place where little whinny-voiced preteens insult others and are kinda racist :/).

I like nintendo because their games are relaxed, and last a long time. I play a lot of crysis on my PC, but other than that I don't play many more "Hardcore" games. I hate Halo, I don't care for the adventure games on the xbox 360 or PS3. Mind you, I only bought the Wii for Zelda. I am not disgusted in any way at nintendo, they are doing exactly what they should be doing. The problem is that 3rd parties don't take the time to do original, good games. And the lack of games is good since it saves my money.

Lordwindowlicker
06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
^^ Wow, I agree entirely. Although I do enjoy a lot of the Ps3/360 games.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-22-2009, 06:38 AM
What if you want to talk to friends online? you have to pay for Wii speak even then Wii hardly has any compatable games not to mention that it costs more than most of the Wii top titles, if you buy speak then you have the problem of talking across the room at the T.V, why didnt they make it a headset? and im not going to insult anyones intellegence by pointing out the flawed friend code system.