PDA

View Full Version : Gaming as an Olympic Sport

IFS
05-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Do you think that Computer Gaming should become an Olympic sport? I know there was some talk about it for the previous Olympic Games , but the majority of the participating nations voted against it, I just want to hear your opinions. Personally I don't think it would be fun to watch but even the people that aren't good at sports need to have a chance to participate in something they are good at on a grand stage infront of millions.

Datenshi
05-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Saying computer games should be an Olympic sport is a little like saying "board games" should be an Olympic sport. The question is which game; FPSs, strategy war games, or something like Tetris? On top of that, player populations rise and fall constantly as new games come and go, so even if you took the most popular game at the time, you'd probably have to replace it with something else in a few years. In that sense, I don't see how it could be something a person could devote a lifetime of training to.

IFS
05-15-2009, 06:33 AM
well, I'd say mainly fps and strategy games, things you can play competative against eachother, different nations can play strategy games against eachother like C&C or Warcraft or Starcraft, the nations participating in this can then determine who's got the most logical mind, the concept of a strategy game and real life war is the same, each has their own batallion and a limited amount of resources and the point is to defeat the other army(I'm not saying its exactly the same, skill of the soldiers and amount of military power need to be taken in consideration), this can also be used to recruit strategist to increase military power. But thinking about it the Olympic games might be to much but gamers need more credit, some train just as hard as all the other people who participate in the Olympic Games but people see it only as a recreational pass-time.

The Grey Crane
05-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Uh, circles don't fit where squares should be.

Sports and gaming are two different things, two different fields. Just because gamers need a grand stage where they could showcase their skills doesn't mean that stage should be the Olympics. Athletes or let's say "Olympians" undergoes rigorous physical and mental training, and it applies to discipline as well. How the hell would you do training in gaming? Play and stay in front of a monitor for hours? Do finger exercises to increase button-mashing capabilities? Gimme a break.

Why do beauty pageants, dog shows, cooking, spelling, and board games aren't considered olympic sports?

Because circles don't fit where squares should be.

Dr. Evil
05-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Uh, circles don't fit where squares should be.

Sports and gaming are two different things, two different fields. Just because gamers need a grand stage where they could showcase their skills doesn't mean that stage should be the Olympics. Athletes or let's say "Olympians" undergoes rigorous physical and mental training, and it applies to discipline as well. How the hell would you do training in gaming? Play and stay in front of a monitor for hours? Do finger exercises to increase button-mashing capabilities? Gimme a break.

Why do beauty pageants, dog shows, cooking, spelling, and board games aren't considered olympic sports?

Because circles don't fit where squares should be.

Well put. However, on the off chance that gaming should become an olympic sport, the Nintendo Wii/Wii Sports would probably be the most like system to be used being that its the only "physical" thing in gaming unless you count DDR but that's not gonna cut it.

Gjallarhorn
05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Seeing as video games are not an athletic competition, no, I do not think it should be a part of the Olympic Games.

To quote from Eris on a previous topic similar to this:

No, gamers are not athletes, that's mainly wishful thinking from pasty 25 year old virgins, living in their mothers' basement.

The Grey Crane
05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Well put. However, on the off chance that gaming should become an olympic sport, the Nintendo Wii/Wii Sports would probably be the most like system to be used being that its the only "physical" thing in gaming unless you count DDR but that's not gonna cut it.

Okay on the off chance of things... Still, I don't think so.

There's no place for Wii Sports in the olympics because tennis and boxing are played at the olympic games. You don't really see baseball, golf, and bowling being contested at the olympics, but then again they are recognized by the olympic committee. This means they could be a part of the olympic games sooner or later.

Would the committee choose emulation over the originals? No, that's not gonna happen. Not unless Satoru iwata gets included in the olympic committee.

Scarred DNA
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
The Olympic Games originally consisted of both physical and non-physical disciplines.

They need to separate the games into 2 categories - Mental/Mind sports and Physical sports.

And if they are going to recognize Chess (though it isn't played), then all other cognitive disciplines need to be recognized.

Ignoring sports of the mind in favor of physical sports makes no sense to me. Yes, the sheer size of the celebration/competition is becoming overwhelming, but at least try to work something out like a category split.

rf switch
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think it should. I would prefer that the Olympics would just be full of sports where you need physical ability. And sports where they aren't judged (hello ice skating).

Also....Even if I know how to play a game. I don't like watching people play. When I was in Korea I saw some of those StarCraft compititions on TV. It bored me.

It's also too early to tell if one game will ever become timeless enough that in 40 years people will still be playing it competitively. StarCraft is 10+ years old now. But we'll see if that holds up as a major form of competitive gaming once StarCraft 2 comes out and is out for a while.

I'd almost rather see a "World Cup" of gaming. Besides. If you think about it. The FIFA World Cup is waaaayyyy more popular than Olympic Football/Soccer

Bulf
05-15-2009, 04:37 PM
I say no. Even though it would be enjoyable, video games =/= Sports. Gamers aren't usually very athletic anyway.

Rem Nightfall
05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
I say no. Even though it would be enjoyable, video games =/= Sports. Gamers aren't usually very athletic anyway.

What are you talking about? If you win you run around like crazy out of excitement as well as jump up and down. hahahahahahahahaha. :laugh:

I'm kidding.

Manhattan_Project_2000
05-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Seeing as video games are not an athletic competition, no, I do not think it should be a part of the Olympic Games.
On the otherhand, Curling is an Olympic Sport. The bar is sufficently low that Gaming objectively should qualify. However, subjectively I think that Curling shouldn't be an Olympic Sport and neither should gaming.

Ryuuzaki HD
05-15-2009, 11:18 PM
they could play mario and sonic at the Olympic games that takes alot of energy and dead or alive 4 that takes a hell of alot of skill but we all know it will never happen. can you actually see people buying tickets or even bothering to watch on tv a couple of guys playing games?

Diocletian
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't see how a guy that benchpresses 600 lbs. be in the same tournament as a guy that spends 50 hours a week playing Halo. It just wouldn't be fair.