PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Just Stop

Rem Nightfall
05-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I've wanted to talk about this for a long time. The new Sonic games suck. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, weren't bad...they don't deserve such terrible comments that they get. But old Sonic for the Genesis is where it is at. I don't see where the concept gets broken. Sonic is suppose to be fast. He isn't to be slowed down by puzzles and what not. Sonic doesn't use weapons of any sort, and he doesn't have were intimate princess moments. Sonic has turned into an RPG rather then a Sonic game. If they aren't going to make Sonic properly, then just stop Sonic. What are you guy's thoughts on the Sonic problem?

JIMBO.
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
if you dont like the new games then play some of the old school fan made games if they ever relese a fully completed one that is Sonic XG looks worth the wait and it carrys on from the last real 2d game.

Shinigami_55
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
i like only sonic games for those old consoles that i cant remember name!
sonic's for ps2 sucks!
and i hate those sonic cartoons that goes on nowadays!

Kishiro
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were fantastic additions to the series. And they were the last truly good/if you think this is bad then you're blind and deaf Sonic games on a console.

Sonic Unleashed had something going for it with the Daytime levels and boss fights, it really did. We were all looking so much forward to this game until we heard about/played the Nighttime levels.

It was the most emotional rollercoaster ride I've ever had while playing a Sonic game. I'd get really happy and in to it when I could play the Daytime levels... then horribly bummed and depressed for every moment is was night.

Don't blame Sonic though, blame SEGA Entertainment of America. They're the ones doing this to the blue blur.

Also, too many people are hopping on the whole "New Sonic games suck" bandwagon... without actually playing them. I still own Sonic the Hedgehog (2006 XB360/PS3) even though it was pretty bad (though more tolerable on XB360 than PS3). And I've still got my copy of Sonic Unleashed-- and you know what? I paid full price for it, the day it came out. You guys can spare the 30 bucks to go pick it up and play through it, take it back in under 7 days and get your money back.

[Spoiler]
05-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Most of them put a popular series with as much different genres as possible. There are Mario sports, puzzle, and racing games.

Interstellar Girl
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree Sonic adventure 1 & 2 were the best of the series, but ive been a big sonic fan ever since I was young and I dont want to give up on it. They should make a Sonic adventure 3, try to bring back the essence of a great Sonic game.

I also still own Sonic the Hedghog (2006) for the PS3 no doubt, and Sonic unleashed as well. Besides the Night levels, as Kishiro said, it was a pretty good game.

Rem Nightfall
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree Sonic adventure 1 & 2 were the best of the series, but ive been a big sonic fan ever since I was young and I dont want to give up on it. They should make a Sonic adventure 3, try to bring back the essence of a great Sonic game.

I also still own Sonic the Hedghog (2006) for the PS3 no doubt, and Sonic unleashed as well. Besides the Night levels, as Kishiro said, it was a pretty good game.

I played Sonic Unleash. I don't agree. Sometimes the camera got lost somewhere while doing your little ramp things. I still felt that it was not generally to the style of Sonic adventure for the Dreamcast. And I absolutely hated the werehog. I wanted to go over and drown myself ever time.

I've played all of the next gen Sonic games hoping hoping they would get better. They get worse every time.

Yoko Littner
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I actually disagree because I happen to like all the Sonic games made, even the newer ones. I must say the older ones are better, but you know a sonic game is a sonic game and each game is cool in its own way.

Scarred DNA
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I've wanted to talk about this for a long time. The new Sonic games suck. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, weren't bad...they don't deserve such terrible comments that they get. But old Sonic for the Genesis is where it is at. I don't see where the concept gets broken. Sonic is suppose to be fast. He isn't to be slowed down by puzzles and what not. Sonic doesn't use weapons of any sort, and he doesn't have were intimate princess moments. Sonic has turned into an RPG rather then a Sonic game. If they aren't going to make Sonic properly, then just stop Sonic. What are you guy's thoughts on the Sonic problem?

Agreed. The last Sonic game I added to the collection was Sonic Adventure 1. After that, I kind of gave up on the franchise.

But I think I'm biased, at least a little. I got both a Genesis and a Sega CD at launch, so I've been playing Sonic since Day 1. The first 6 games - 1, 2, 3, S&K, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic CD - were great plays. Despite variations in gameplay, they all stuck to the original concept that made Sonic a household name.

But I think Sonic CD is where you could sort of see where they were going to go with the franchise. Fantastic game . . . often cited as the best of the series, but the addition of that female hedgehog was the first introduction of a crap character in my eyes.

I did like Sonic Adventure 1, but really only for the fast gameplay on certain boards like Twinkle Park and that little period of running down the side of a building. The rest - minigames and those VMU creatures - they could have kept.

I think that's why Sonic Adventure 1 was it for a lot of fans. We all wanted to see next-gen Sonic . . . to see what Sega could do. Then we saw it, and just sort of shook our heads and moved on.

JIMBO.
05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
did anyone play chaostix ?

Rem Nightfall
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
did anyone play chaostix ?

I did....then again I don't like them. My favorite will always be Tails.

Seta Souji
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
The first sonic that came out on the Dreamcast was so damn fun. It was so cool seeing a 3d world where u could walk around in a real CITY.

Rem Nightfall
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
The first sonic that came out on the Dreamcast was so damn fun. It was so cool seeing a 3d world where u could walk around in a real CITY.

So true. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were great. It's successor were downright terrible and had no more flavor of the world.

AzureDark
05-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I was a huge Sonic fan, ever since the first one. I even bought a Dreamcast only and just for Sonic Adventure.

After Sega sold out and stuff, it's been downhill ever since. I can't even start to enjoy the one on the PS3, just 2 minutes into the game and I think, is this for real lol? It's now gathering tons of dust - and I'm not gonna be touching it anytime soon either.

JIMBO.
05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
is they are going to make a real 3d sonic game then they need to make it sand box style (real free rome GTA like but with out the killing)

Haoie
05-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Oh Sonic, you used to be cool.

JIMBO.
05-08-2009, 12:44 PM
if anyone misses the old sonic games they can play megamix its a fusion of sonic1 and cd but with new faster paced levels, (but the odd glitch here and there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUlWS9a447Y

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 12:54 PM
if anyone misses the old sonic games they can play megamix its a fusion of sonic1 and cd but with new faster paced levels, (but the odd glitch here and there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUlWS9a447Y

I always just hook up my genesis that still works and play it old school. But see I would love them to implement the beauty of this sonic with the newer games. They make it to RPG by going around talking to people. They slow it down with the many puzzles, etc.

AzureDark
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
So should Sega take the example of LBP and create a community of 2D zone builders?

The big hurdle is to convince game makers that 2D platform gaming is still favored and loved by us the gamers. With the power of current consoles that you can harness, it's like everyone expects a good game to be 3D.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 03:16 PM
So should Sega take the example of LBP and create a community of 2D zone builders?

The big hurdle is to convince game makers that 2D platform gaming is still favored and loved by us the gamers. With the power of current consoles that you can harness, it's like everyone expects a good game to be 3D.

I'm a fan of the original Sonic. I'm sure if they made that game, all the original fans would buy it.

Miss Electric Moonlight
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I've never been a big fan of sega, but sonic used to be awesome back in the day.

They managed to kill one of their most popular characters by laming up the storyline and the sonic character in general. Way to go.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I've never been a big fan of sega, but sonic used to be awesome back in the day.

They managed to kill one of their most popular characters by laming up the storyline and the sonic character in general. Way to go.

hahahahahahahaha. :laugh: Agreed with this comment.

JIMBO.
05-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I think it's funny how sonic was almost a dog when they was making him.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I think it's funny how sonic was almost a dog when they was making him.

But hedgehog seemed much cooler.

Gero50
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Well it is true that Sonic is not ment to be a RPG however, I have no problem with Sonic the Hedge the game of 06. I also rather enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. But ya I can see why you would think that with all the bad rep Sonic has got in recent times.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Well it is true that Sonic is not ment to be a RPG however, I have no problem with Sonic the Hedge the game of 06. I also rather enjoyed Sonic Unleashed. But ya I can see why you would think that with all the bad rep Sonic has got in recent times.

I played Sonic Unleash...I don't read reviews until I play the game. And I actually agree with the reviews. The Werehog is terrible, the game is terrible. Sonic has been slowed down with talking to people. Sonic is slowed by puzzles. Sonic sucks 2000-present. There will never be a good Sonic game ever.
Sonic adventure 1 and 2 were the only good 3D sonic games.

rf switch
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
If you'd like Sonic to stop then stop buying the recent crap games.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
If you'd like Sonic to stop then stop buying the recent crap games.

I buy them hoping they are somewhat like Sonic Adventure only to be disappointed. I have officially not bought Sonic Unleash and will not buy another one ever again. The way I played Sonic Unleashed was at a friends house during a sleep over. We play hours of torment on that game.

Bulf
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Sonic games really aren't that bad. The only ones I don't like are Sonic, and the secret rings, Sonic and the black knight, and sonic Unleashed. Sonic Unleashed was fun...until night came. I think what we need is a good old fashioned Sonic game, like Adventure 2: Battle. Or A Sonic Heroes 2...that was a pretty good game.

rf switch
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Sonic games really aren't that bad. The only ones I don't like are Sonic, and the secret rings, Sonic and the black knight, and sonic Unleashed. Sonic Unleashed was fun...until night came. I think what we need is a good old fashioned Sonic game, like Adventure 2: Battle. Or A Sonic Heroes 2...that was a pretty good game.
Well I don't really consider Sonic Adventure 2: Battle to be a "good old fashioned Sonic game". It's probably mainly because the old 16-bit Sonic's is where I think its at. Sonic CD to me is the best Sonic game, followed by 2, then 1, then 3. I liked Sonic Adventure for Sonic's levels. It was the start of all the stupid characters. Big the Cat I wasn't down with. Amy is meh. I like her more as the damsel in distress that you don't play as like in Sonic CD.

And Unleashed being fun until night is great. But 50% of the game is night I think right? So 50% of the game being crap doesn't really make me want to play. I only played the Demo for Unleashed on PS3. Daytime seemed to be about speed, which is what people wanted...But the only thing is in the old Sonic games Green Hill Zone was one of the few levels you could actually speed through.

Rem Nightfall
05-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Well I don't really consider Sonic Adventure 2: Battle to be a "good old fashioned Sonic game". It's probably mainly because the old 16-bit Sonic's is where I think its at. Sonic CD to me is the best Sonic game, followed by 2, then 1, then 3. I liked Sonic Adventure for Sonic's levels. It was the start of all the stupid characters. Big the Cat I wasn't down with. Amy is meh. I like her more as the damsel in distress that you don't play as like in Sonic CD.

And Unleashed being fun until night is great. But 50% of the game is night I think right? So 50% of the game being crap doesn't really make me want to play. I only played the Demo for Unleashed on PS3. Daytime seemed to be about speed, which is what people wanted...But the only thing is in the old Sonic games Green Hill Zone was one of the few levels you could actually speed through.

I like Sonic 2, where they added in tails in the 16 bit version. I loved multiplayer on that one.

JIMBO.
05-08-2009, 08:31 PM
speaking of sonic CD I found most of the levels too boxed in I know this was used to maker the time warps harder but it put a downer on the game.

rf switch
05-08-2009, 08:34 PM
speaking of sonic CD I found most of the levels too boxed in I know this was used to maker the time warps harder but it put a downer on the game.
Boxed in as you couldn't really run about freely? Like in Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone from the first game?

JIMBO.
05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
even more than that, it took all the fun out of the super peelout move they gave him just in CD and chaos.

Zombiliciouss
05-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I completely agree. It's time to put it down.

Sonic 06 was the worst game I ever played next to Big Rigs. Unleashed would've been decent if it wasn't for those god awful werewolf parts. Sonic Team's last good game was Billy Hatcher. Find a new mascot, Madworld was pretty sweet. Why not pick up Platinum as a 2nd party developer. Jack would be pretty cool.

rf switch
05-08-2009, 11:28 PM
even more than that, it took all the fun out of the super peelout move they gave him just in CD and chaos.
You still have opportunities to do that. For some reason when people think of Sonic they think Green Hill Zone. Running fast and getting to the end of the level in no time. But that's one stage. ONE.

I completely agree. It's time to put it down.

Sonic 06 was the worst game I ever played next to Big Rigs. Unleashed would've been decent if it wasn't for those god awful werewolf parts. Sonic Team's last good game was Billy Hatcher. Find a new mascot, Madworld was pretty sweet. Why not pick up Platinum as a 2nd party developer. Jack would be pretty cool.
Sonic may suck now. But Sega isn't going to get rid of him. His games still sell really well.

They wouldn't even really need a mascot now anyways. No one cared about Opa-Opa or Alex Kidd before Sonic. The whole "Gotta have a mascot" was a fad in the 90's. Now it just doesn't really matter. Whose Sony's mascot now that Crash was sold off and went multi-platform?

SonicTeam doesn't do much good now because the 3 people who made them relevant, Yuji Naka (programmer) went on to form Prope a couple years ago and made Let's Tap for Wii, Naoto Oshima (Sonic character designer) left and formed Artoon a while ago and did such greats as Blinx the Time Sweeper. Hirokazu Yasuhara (Sonic level designer) left a while ago to go to Naughty Dog and has recently moved onto Namco Bandai America.

They can't pick up Platinum as a 2nd party developer. They'd have to be a 1st party in order to do that. They have a publishing deal with them for something like 5 games. If one of those games manages to actually sell well they may try to pick them up for more for all I know. As it is now though, Madworld bombed sales wise.

Cobra Commander
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
The last Sonic game I played was Sonic & Knuckles. I thought it was awesome that I could plug the other games into the top. Sonic 2 is mad easy if you play as Knuckles.

Well, it was easy either way. I never beat the first one, though.

Ryuuzaki HD
05-12-2009, 01:42 AM
i havent enjoyed a single sonic game since it went 3D