PDA

View Full Version : So tell me?

Van of the Dawn
04-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I have heard people mention Death Note, as some uber awesome series, and am thinking of, renting/buying volume 1 but when read whats its about.... it just doesn't sound like a show that can do much? I mean... a book.. ok that can kill people when you write their name in it.... so where is the challenge? how is this show made to be so interesting, and not dull? What is it about this show that makes it great?

Gjallarhorn
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
The main attraction is not the action of the series provided by the ability to kill someone by writing their name in the book, but by the battle of wits and strategy between the two leads, one on the side of the police and other other being the user of the Deathnote. Each is attempting to find and make absolute their own sense of justice.

And, honestly, it isn't that great. The premise was actually very good, but it just became a series of trump-cards one after another, as many strategy-focused manga do.

Yugure's Goddess
04-15-2009, 12:00 AM
It's definitely worth looking into. Like he said, it does become very much of a one-up contest but it does get very exciting at parts. Much more so than you would expect. It's very thought-provoking, but in an exciting way. Trust me. It's one you have to see/read before you can really judge because just from the blurbs you'll read... you won't get much of the real meat of the show. They can't really convey how exciting it is and how easily it can draw you in and make you just hunger for the next chapter/episode.

That's what happened to me, anyway... it's one of my favorites. Let's call it intelligent awesomeness for the common man.

love
dani
dude

Memento Mori
04-15-2009, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't personally recommend the series, but the plot is not simply about writing names in a book and people dying.

It's an intelligent villian vs. intelligent superhero kinda thing, I guess.

It's true, though, most of the series is a one-up contest.

Seņor Nobody
04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
It's an okay anime with pretty decent characters. I recommend it. Like stated above, it's a one-up contest between Light Yagami(Antagonist with a God-complex) and L(Insomniac protagonist with a REAL sweet tooth.)
You'll enjoy the battle of wits and surprising twists this anime has.

Neddog
04-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I think you need to get it and see for yourself. ;)

It is a very good series.

Amray The II
04-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Just do it. You will not regret it!

This series is amazing because it can present so much fuss and battles of intellectual ability when it is just purely revolved around a note book. The two central characters are both extremely smart and use their own methods to show this.

Also there is not only Light and his note book, but there is also the other side where it is L and his investigation team, reflecting a detective side to the story too. Then when Near and Mello appear, we have three different teams; Light-Near-Mello (or you could even have four if you included the Japanese police.

Throughout the anime the story completely changes too and bears a different atmosphere.

Legend of the Twilight
05-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Light Yagami comes across the Death Note one day and decides he'll become the world's new god. Crazy psycho, right?

Then when the police figure out what's going on when a bunch of criminals suddenly die of heart attacks, the greatest detective in the world comes into play and decides to stop Kira (the name given to Light by the world).

From then on it's a battle of wits and strategy. It gets very, very suspenseful and exciting, I must say.

.Tatty.
05-16-2009, 02:21 AM
the thing that kept me hooked initially is the constant "one upsmanship" between the two main characters L and Light Yagami

also the whole concept of writing a name in a notebook that could kill was quite appealing

but by the end death note got quite appalling

Shunshin Jhey-sama
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Things that is must see with Death Note:
1. With an antagonist main character (Light) and the opposing side L of Justice (police), who would win?
2. How Light would escape the clutches of super detective L with help of his Death Note supernatural abilities.
3. How Light would be defeated without L.

Plus, it is one of the animes you get to use some level of concentration to understand the story. Its deep and keeps your mind clogs rolling unlike some other animes that are too light. . .^^)b