PDA

View Full Version : Movie based games

Bulf
02-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Is it just me or do movie based games just suck? D:

Amarhyllis
02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Trust me, it's not you. Almost every game that's based on a movie is guaranteed to be bad. There have been a couple of good ones though, can't tell you off the top of my head.

Sigh, anything to make a quick buck I suppose.

Light Buster
02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
They're just bad, trust me.

daft
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
The ones at the arcade aren't that bad. =/

Anime Forum
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree with you, but Lara Croft is pretty good.

Wait, what was made first? The video games of Lara Croft, or the movies?

Princely Dreaming Doll
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Games based off of movies suck.

But it's also vice versa movie based games. [When they turn Resident Evil the game into a movie] they suck too.

The movies suck.
The games suck.

Or in other cases the game is good.
The movies don't give redemption to the game.

Light Buster
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
True indeed.

Akito0o
02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Ya i would have to say that about 85% of them suck. I didn't mind some of the lord of the ring games.

I think the video games of Laura Croft came first.

Mango
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
They are indeed terrible. Some of the older ones weren't so bad though; I have this awesome Aladdin game on my SNES.

The Governator
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
So, Star Wars games sucks and Star Trek games sucks? What about Jurassic Park? or The Godfather, not all movie-based games suck, its games like Desperate Housewives: The Game that suck or those weird barbie games that suck.

Kaitou+
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Games based off of movies suck.

But it's also vice versa movie based games. [When they turn Resident Evil the game into a movie] they suck too.

The movies suck.
The games suck.

Or in other cases the game is good.
The movies don't give redemption to the game.

I agree.

We also got Halo movie.

Mango
02-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Desperate Housewives: The Game

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wow.

SigmaSD
02-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I've never played a movie-based game that was really good. Maybe the Iron Man game, but I never really tried it. Looks good though.

wolfgirl90
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Movie-based games usually suck because they have to be in production AHEAD of the movie. If you haven't noticed, the majority of movie-based games are released the day before to several weeks before the movie that it was based on comes out. If anything happens to the production of the movie, the video game can not stop for too long (again they MUST be ahead of the movie), so they make stuff up. The Harry Potter "games" are a big example of this since the movies are great but the games...yeah, lets not go there.;)

I will say this: I do not care if they have to be ahead or not but if they screw up the Wolverine: Origins game, I will lose whatever faith I have in the video game industry.:banghead:

JIMBO.
02-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I liked transformers the game climbing buildings and driving about was is fun plus form shifting at 100 mph looks cool

spider-man games got good after first one

the getaway needed more done with it felt slow to play

Haoie
02-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Congrats, you just stated something people have known for decades.

Qoo
02-03-2009, 04:50 AM

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/alice_death/kibarenjaa.jpg

!?!??! N-No way !! It can't be ! !!

In other words, yeah, most of them do suck.

The Governator
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wow.

Yes, it is real, and even worse, IGN liked it!!!!!

BestFly
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
It depends if the game is based on the movie, like you actually play through the game and follow the story progression in the movie. Most of these games are bad, one exception might be the Spider Man 2 game (I think).

As for those Star Wars games. KOTR, and Jedi Power Battles were great games, but they are extended universe and have much more to work with.

Kaitou+
02-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Congrats, you just stated something people have known for decades.

Congrats, you just stated the obvious, Captain Obvious.

JIMBO.
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
did anyone play the blade runner game by westwood ?

rf switch
02-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Most movie based games suck because of the small development window. They usually have to get the game out when the movie comes out in order to cash in on it. Many Star Wars games have been good. But thats because they've either came out years after the original movies or because they're just based on the Universe.

The same can be said for most Anime related games too.

The answer to an above question....Lara Croft aka. Tomb Raider was a game first. It came out in 1996 and the first movie came in 2001.

did anyone play the blade runner game by westwood ?
I have Blade Runner for PC. I thought it was a decent adventure game. But I'd consider it more of a game based on the sci-fi world of Blade Runner because you aren't following the events of the movie or playing as Rick Deckard. Since Blade Runner the game came out 15 years after Blade Runner the movie, and the movie 14 years after the book.

Beezer
02-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Some movie games can be good but as its been said the majority of them are crap. Some of my favorites have been the Lion King and Aladdin on Sega. Great smooth gameplay for the time and very fun. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is one of the newer video games based off movies that was really great. They're making another one which I can't wait for.

JIMBO.
02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
what about Alien vs predator 2?

I still play that today

The Governator
02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
what about Alien vs predator 2?

I still play that today

Thats more the Alien & Predator universe, but there is Alien: Colonial Marine coming out which will be AWESOME!

JIMBO.
02-05-2009, 02:32 PM
what about Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza on the pc?

its based on the movie but there are new bits like disarming the bombs and saving Argaile in the car park

tsujigiri15
03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Mmm, I guess most games based on movies do suck to some extent, though there have been exeptions - apparantly the last harry potter game is pretty good, and i know the star wars eu games are good, and some of them allow you to play out movie scinareos (e.g. lego star wars - genius! and battlefront).

But you know what I think tend to suck really bad - movies based on games - max payne, doom 3, street fighter - all great games, but some of the worst movies i have ever had the misfortune to watch...

Any views on that?

Aizen-sama
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes i abosoluty loathe games that are based off of movies they r a wast of time