PDA

View Full Version : Serious opinions only! [again >_>]

Hautalken
01-22-2009, 04:01 AM
This is my first time on a vector styled wall.
I can't make out if I've overdone a few things, so...

Extraction credits to Serated.

And I'll say it again::

DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE AND HELPFUL TO SAY TO ME.

MuZ0NaZ
01-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Ugly black border is ugly. Spice up the design (and perhaps extraction itself) with textures and patterns, because the scan is not clean enough to go well with the vector designs. Perhaps mess around with the scan colours too, since it kinda lacks pop.

Jose
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I usually love vector style, but the I don't like the colors you chose for this wallpaper sure they may blend it does look lovely, the colors also make it a tad boring. Again the black border shouldn't be there, or at least not that big. Bump up the saturation a bit...everywhere. Maybe adding a bit more effects behind the extraction, at least more than just the floral brushes. The lack of vivid color and the border it pretty much all I have to say here.

wizz-o-matic
01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Screw the black border and go for a widescreen resolution ;) 1920x1200 is a good choice D:

Famahama
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Ugly black border is ugly. Spice up the design (and perhaps extraction itself) with textures and patterns, because the scan is not clean enough to go well with the vector designs. Perhaps mess around with the scan colours too, since it kinda lacks pop.

I usually love vector style, but the I don't like the colors you chose for this wallpaper sure they may blend it does look lovely, the colors also make it a tad boring. Again the black border shouldn't be there, or at least not that big. Bump up the saturation a bit...everywhere. Maybe adding a bit more effects behind the extraction, at least more than just the floral brushes. The lack of vivid color and the border it pretty much all I have to say here.
Follow what they said, especially Muzo's point at the extraction. Her eyes looks dead, and in anime-styled drawing, the eyes are pretty much everything. Keep it alive! Be sure to follow the "mood" of the eyes, it really helps in finding the right theme to fit the focus in

Also adding up, try adding some shine and shadows to the vectors here and there, makes it more realistic, y'know. Or try clip-masking some color gradients on the vectors to add some..."movement" into it

The colors, I see too much whites, and no "flair" in colors, as Jose stated. Maybe some completely different colors will make it more attractable

And lastly, not much emphasis of the focus =/ Pack up more stuff behind the character and MAKE her stand out of the props you've set up there

Keep it up Karuto ^_^

EDIT
I just smiled at Wizzy's "screw the black border" comment

Hautalken
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
The border isn't good??? That's surprising. I guess I should just be a good girl and lose the border.

Muzzy:: Textures and patterns? I'm scared to try those. I've never used them in a wall before and I don't know if I'll be able to use them right.

Jose:: So the colors are all wrong...Truth is, I just tried this gradient map and it just seemed to fit so well D: Initially anyway.

Wizzy:: OOOOOOHHH!!! That big? *sighs* I need to make my style a bit more flexible, don't I?

Unli:: I know about the eyes part. That's why I brushed them with a soft brush and set that blend-mode to vivid light. I guess it didn't work. I knew I should've just gone with the eye color instead of the hair and dress >_<
And I should add more movement to the vectors using lighting?

I never noticed the fact that she doesn't stand out T_T

Bleh. Now I have to start all over again...
Thanks everyone ^^

wizz-o-matic
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Wizzy:: OOOOOOHHH!!! That big? *sighs* I need to make my style a bit more flexible, don't I?Well ... we are in the age of WS monitors. and 24'' aren't that expensive anymore. Personally I use a 22'' (with 1680x1050 res), but you mustn't exclude higher res D:
My personal idea is to aim at highest res possible that you can make using your scans. Then you can always shrink it to any other lower size.

Balance
01-24-2009, 02:52 AM
First of all...
Great job on making the wallpaper.
It's stunning only for a few seconds.
Here's how to make it stunning for a few more minutes, hours, days, whatever.

I seriously suggest that you make the background a little less heavy. It really demands the viewer's attention rather than on the focus. So I suggest perhaps lowering the opacity on some of the vectors behind the extract. Maybe perhaps then it will look decent rather than demanding.

As Unli has already stated, the eyes should also be fixed a bit. There's no real vivid coloration in it. It's the eyes that really grabs people's attention, and that is the number one thing that you must focus on if you are going to have a character with such large and expressive eyes.

The overall color could perhaps change a bit, as they seem a bit clashing or too diverse. It's most likely just the contrast between random colors here and there. You can easily fix that.

TYPOGRAPHY. You really need to work on that. You can at least place it in a place better than that. I'll just let you handle that on your own. I'm sure you'll know what to do.

And yes, get rid of the large borders. It's good to have a full wallpaper.

Light Buster
01-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Get rid of the black border, the wall doesn't look right with the border in mind. Try to make another version of the wall just wider and with some variety to the backgroun. It's a bit...plain...

pandacommander
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I think the black border is alright because you have part of the character outside of the main background