PDA

View Full Version : Do you honestly think Light was a bad person?

slingingshot15
12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
me, personally was supporting Light right throughout the series and I was sad the way it ended!!! I dont really consider him to be a villain in the series, although I do not think I would have done what he did. What do you guys think? Do you consider him to be a villain?

Jagan Eye
12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Actually, Light was my favorite character throughout the whole series and I was pretty much on his side the entire time. Not that I didn't like the opposing side, but I didn't want them to win either. Though, I do think that the story was ended well. I didn't really feel like there was a defined villain, just a complex story line with interesting characters.

ZukaxxMimozu
12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
No way, Light rocks. I was a little ticked off when L died, but I would rather have him killed by Light than anyone else.

Infinita
12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't really consider him a villiain. I mean, his whole objective was that he wanted a world in which no great evil existed. (Or something like that) Except, I don't think the way he did his objective was right. (I have only watched a part of the series so I can only go with what I have watched) ^^

~kagome30599~
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
yes because he killed "L" and "matt"

Sanosuke X
12-31-2008, 05:14 PM
I supported Light's Idea of a world without crime. But I didn't like the fact that he thought he was a god.

Brandandy
01-02-2009, 04:08 AM
That's such a hard question! I think he meant well, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I dislike him cuz I love L.

Yuki Atsuma
01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Well, necessarily I don’t think that he was a villain.. He was just overly power hungry.
He did have good intentions but as the show progressed, it seemed that it was more about seeing if he could defeat L and then Near, Rather than about giving the world justice by killing criminals.

SigmaSD
01-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I supported Light's Idea of a world without crime. But I didn't like the fact that he thought he was a god.

Same here. He was my favorite character and all, but after a while he started using everyone as pawns, even his own father. Then by the end of the story, he got all crazy, and thought he was god. At first I didn't think he was a bad person, but at the end I think he was.

BekiBrutal
01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I can't think of Light as a baddie.
Light was just doing what he thought was right, he can't be judged for that.
If any one else had picked up the death note they would have used it for their own personal gain, take mello for example, look what he did to the members of SPK, i mean por near, he's just lucky mello didn't know his name.
But i still miss L - all i can say to that is NAUGHTY LIGHT, KILLING SOMEONE SO BEAUTIFUL :(

IchIiGo
01-03-2009, 09:31 AM
yes he is he killed alot of people ...

milkymanga
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Light is actually my favorite character. I do not think he was a bad person, but I do think he was a very opinionated person put into a situation where he could only choose the rough path.
He believed that all criminals were bad people and that ridding the world of them would make it a better place. If you give someone that opinionated the choice of killing criminals or letting the world go on the way it usually does, of course he is going to take the Deathnote. Ryuk, knowing this, dropped the Deathnote onto Earth and watched the perfect student become the new God.
It's really a funny situation in retrospect.

Diocletian
01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

So I suppose as long as he doesn't kill bishonen boys he's a saint.

Abarai Sakura
01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Well, in my opinion about Light, at first it seems like his intentions were good. But by the end he got his "God complex" which made him lose sight of what he was really trying to do. So that make him rather easy to figure out. But if he hadn't gotten that, he probably wouldn't really be a bad person since everyone in the world has their own sense of justice.

Leleiron
01-11-2009, 05:36 PM
He isn't a very "good" character but you can't say that he is a bad character as well. He just did what he thought was right and it was logical (putting the "god" thing aside). :)

thefox
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Light rocks!
I think that Light was not a clearly defined villain nor a clearly defined hero.
All Light wanted to do was make the world a place without crime, and for a while he did make crime almost disappear.

Also, he had so many fans backing him up, and with power comes corruption.I just think that the power went to his head, but he was a good guy in his heart.

Having a Death God on your side has got to make you feel like you are in power...

Did anyone else just not like the two little kids who followed L?

Yuki_89
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
He's my fave chara, he started with an acceptable purpose, but he's obssessed with the whole justice thing, so, i think he ended up in the wrong way...

As you can see, the human community would be in the wrong balance line if the evil are diminished for good. it would be.... weird.... not that i support villliany, but i believe in neutrality.

Knave545
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes. At the start, no. But by the end he pretty much killed ANYONE that got in his way.

*~Anime Angel~*
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
uhhhh....yeah. I mean first off he goes from being a "good boy" to Mr. kills people a lot. Then he goes into the investigative thingy being oh so sneaky and keeping his secret EVEN THOUGH he knows in his stupid little head that he is Kira...THEN he goes off killing L and whatnot then gets killed himself. In my opinion little light didn't have a very truthful life now did he =3

Dr. Hax
01-12-2009, 05:14 PM

It is at this point that I would wave my finger in a circle and say "whoopee".

So I suppose as long as he doesn't kill bishonen boys he's a saint.

I know, right? Damned fangirl mentality. Wouldn't Light be considered bishonen also? If that's the case, shouldn't he have killed himself? L looks like an emo kid someone just dragged out of a dumpster. They might as well go into the dumpster with him as their reasoning is garbage.

In my opinion, Light had some sense in wanting to create a world devoid of evil. However, by using the Death Note to accomplish that goal, he killed hundreds of criminals. Knowing this, he would be considered a murderer, and all murderers are evil, yes? No matter how you look at it, people who murder are considered bad.

Light let the power to kill others go straight to his head with his goal of the world without evil. Now he's a man trying to play god because he is drunk with power.

Upon encountering L, his new goal was to kill L. Killing a very smart man who tops all crime-solvers is very detrimental to law itself.

Light then goes insane from his power and makes a sorry excuse of a rant towards Matsuda and some officials of him changing things and making the world better or some garbage like that. Matsuda puts five rounds into Light and wants to make the sixth finish the job but doesn't. Light flees, Ryuk kills Light, Justice prevails, story over.

No matter how high up in power you are, all things must come to an end sooner or later. To add to it, there is always a price to power. The Shinigami Eyes cut your lifespan in half. To be a murderer means people will be coming after you.

As a result, yes, I do think Light was a bad person but not because he killed a girl's emo dream. Light killed a powerful sleuth and fought against law through deception. He became greedy with his power.

Princely Dreaming Doll
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I can see where they are going with he killed L and Matt.
L and Matt were just doing their job as detectives to catch Kira.
In a sense they were the first innocence Light killed.
They were the first sense of when Light began to think he is god.
Don't just make fun of what people say, maybe look beyond the aspect of bishounen people and look with more thought.

Personally, Light had the right idea don't get me wrong. But there was no reason to go as far as to believe he was god and kill L at the same time. Light was a villain with what was he believed was justice.

Dr. Hax
01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I can see where they are going with he killed L and Matt.
L and Matt were just doing their job as detectives to catch Kira.
In a sense they were the first innocence Light killed.
They were the first sense of when Light began to think he is god.
Don't just make fun of what people say, maybe look beyond the aspect of bishounen people and look with more thought.

Personally, Light had the right idea don't get me wrong. But there was no reason to go as far as to believe he was god and kill L at the same time. Light was a villain with what was he believed was justice.

I wasn't really making fun of such bishounen comments. I just prefer valid reasoning over garbage like...

That's such a hard question! I think he meant well, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I dislike him cuz I love L.

and

Regarding the second quote, FBD, you provided the reasoning that this person did not provide.

Now as for the first quote, disliking Light because you love L and not because of some actually good reason? I have little reason to take this person seriously for her fangirl statement. I mean the beginning made me feel that there was going to be some intelligence in the post but once I read, "I dislike him cuz I love L.", all of that went down the crapper.

Now then, FBD, Light was on track regarding justice and such but when you have immense power in your hands, sometimes, you become a bit too reliant on the power and not reliant enough on your own will. Preserving justice means stopping crime with as few casualties as possible, right? Light wasn't preserving justice. He was adding to the body count tenfold. As a result, yes, you are right. He was a villain.

Diocletian
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Rant has his point. Liking L does not mean he was right, nor visa versa. The person had no way to back her statement up other than she liked L.

Princely Dreaming Doll
01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Sometimes people don't know how to explain themselves better.

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

MakuHari
01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I think Light was a bad person. What he did was ultimately done out of boredom. (Ryuk explained that he dropped the Death Note because he was bored and Light admitted to being bored as well.) Even if it was criminals, Light knew that what he was doing was wrong. He just justified it by saying it was for the greater good. Once he developed that god complex everyone just became pawns to him.

dream magician
01-12-2009, 08:37 PM
No, actually i'm one of Light's fans, i guess, he was just very concerned of ridding the world with bad people, you know, very in a way that he's turnining into something of like a ba person, but, honestly i do agree with his concept.

Dr. Hax
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
No, actually i'm one of Light's fans, i guess, he was just very concerned of ridding the world with bad people, you know, very in a way that he's turnining into something of like a ba person, but, honestly i do agree with his concept.

Hmmm...

Ridding the world of bad people by means of killing them...

So, let me get this straight. According to your statement, you think a person should die for theft, then? Do you think a person should die for DUI? How about arson? Slander? Libel? Defamation of character? Should a person die for that?

Ridding the world of bad people by means of killing is wrong no matter how you see it. Also, if he wants to rid the world of bad people, why didn't he rid himself from the world when he had the power to? His "god complex" went straight to his head and you know it.

L didn't have a death note or a "god complex". He was just an "underground detective" of sorts dressed like an emo kid who has more of a sweet tooth than a morbidly obese couple and posture so bad, it rivals that of former chess grandmaster, Mikhail Tal's when he played in matches.

http://www.chessbase.com/columns/levpics/tal_1960.jpg

Brandandy
01-13-2009, 03:21 AM

I just want to say thanks for that because you're totally right. I want to withdraw my previous post and offer this in it's place.....
I believe that Light had good intentions in the beginning but was, for the most part, a bad person. He cared solely about himself when it came right down to it. He killed Lind L. Taylor without hesitation because he felt threatened. He was just an innocent man to him when he did it. Even though it is an admirable thought to rid the world of evil people, most of the things Light did were for his own personal gain. He wanted to become God of a perfect world, and that meant everything to him eventually. I don't believe the Death Note made him evil. It just gave him a way to achieve his goals. I hope this post is not as "pathetic" as my first and that everyone can understand what I'm trying to say.....

ZukaxxMimozu
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I just want to say thanks for that because you're totally right. I want to withdraw my previous post and offer this in it's place.....
I believe that Light had good intentions in the beginning but was, for the most part, a bad person. He cared solely about himself when it came right down to it. He killed Lind L. Taylor without hesitation because he felt threatened. He was just an innocent man to him when he did it. Even though it is an admirable thought to rid the world of evil people, most of the things Light did were for his own personal gain. He wanted to become God of a perfect world, and that meant everything to him eventually. I don't believe the Death Note made him evil. It just gave him a way to achieve his goals. I hope this post is not as "pathetic" as my first and that everyone can understand what I'm trying to say.....

Yeah, I got what you were saying at least, but I don't think you can expect the same thing from everyone else.

.Miki~
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
i don't think he seen it being bad in the beginning, but it gradually got worse... i really believe he thought he was doing it for the greater good, but he wasn't....

RJ169
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Light was not a bad person he was just misunderstood, and he was a person who wanted to make the world better (by killing people) so we cant call him bad for that.

Wio
01-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Light was a bad guy. As an American, I don't believe you can trust justice in the hands of one person, let alone one as fresh as Light. If Light had allowed himself to be caught or had he evaded being caught without killing innocent people, it would have been a difference case.

RayCaptain
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Light was a psycho which made him my fave character of the series. I would've probably done the same thing Light did without the arrogance

kimi no kioku
01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Light was my favorite character, I don't believe he was completely evil. Having the power to kill anyone took over him. I support Kira in thinking that bad people should die, but as a Christian, I believe that it's not up to humans to judge people.

Harlan Phoenix
01-25-2009, 07:33 PM
They were both terrible people who deserved what they got. Light took pleasure in hurting innocents as early as episode two and thought he deserved to be a deity because he was a bored high school jackass.

On the other hand, the one shot manga special revealed that L only took cases that interested him, regardless of the morals or stakes at hand.

They were both awful people too obsessed with their own amusement to actually be decent individuals. Just because you do something toward good doesn't mean you ARE good. Both were egotistical maniacs who thought their crap didn't stink and were willing to play a chess game with human lives to prove it.

TrucyTrucy
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Well, at first, his intentions were good. I guess.
Killing someone for theft or any crime lighter than murder really isn't the best intention, but... >A>

And then, well, the power of the Death Note got to him. :/ Didn't Ryuk say that was one of the prices he would pay? Greed and sorrow?

I guess you shouldn't doubt a death god. o3o

DarkMoonPrince
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
power hungry..beginning he's good, then he gets bad, I wouldn't quite say villain or evil.....he wanted a world without evil....so it's complex.

JudyT
01-28-2009, 02:21 AM
He didndn't start off evil and all the way through he beleived his heart was in the right place. So mixed he wasn't evil he thought he was doing good and was helping others. But like most power took him over and he lost his way at times.
He used the power/evil ways to rid the world of all things nasty and evil. So litrally he attacked them with their own ways.
He wasn't evil nor was he a Villan but he wasn't a angle nither. He was just really good and complex!

Dr. Hax
01-28-2009, 03:37 AM
He didndn't start off evil and all the way through he beleived his heart was in the right place. So mixed he wasn't evil he thought he was doing good and was helping others. But like most power took him over and he lost his way at times.
He used the power/evil ways to rid the world of all things nasty and evil. So litrally he attacked them with their own ways.
He wasn't evil nor was he a Villan but he wasn't a angle nither. He was just really good and complex!

lulwut? Would this be your idea of "boke"?

Light killed people regardless of whether or not they were criminals. Because of the Death Note, he, himself was nasty and evil.

Mixed my [censored]...

That's not justice, that mass homicide, fool!

He killed a sleuth (L). He almost killed Matsuda. You call that mixed? I call that attempted murder. Light is a murderer, a bad person, plain and simple.

Pull your head out from where it is, learn how to use proper grammar (Right now, it makes babies cry.) and provide an explanation that doesn't confuse me.

That's my idea of "tsukkomi".

ToushiroPwnz
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
What he was trying to do.. was kind of right in a way. But there will always be evil, he cannot rid them all.

It is in a way... Murder. So, he was somewhat evil. But he pretty much went from calm to insane. ;)

Mango
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Light would have been a good person if the death note hadn't corrupted him.

Necro'lic Enigma
02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I believe Light wasnt a bad guy , i really dont believe he was. No matter what hes real intentions were behind the work he did , i personally cant seem to find guts to say hes a bad guy , honestly.

JudyT
02-05-2009, 08:11 AM
lulwut? Would this be your idea of "boke"?

Light killed people regardless of whether or not they were criminals. Because of the Death Note, he, himself was nasty and evil.

Mixed my [censored]...

That's not justice, that mass homicide, fool!

He killed a sleuth (L). He almost killed Matsuda. You call that mixed? I call that attempted murder. Light is a murderer, a bad person, plain and simple.

Pull your head out from where it is, learn how to use proper grammar (Right now, it makes babies cry.) and provide an explanation that doesn't confuse me.

That's my idea of "tsukkomi".

Wow did my quick typing and miss spelling offend you? Oh i don't care.
If your going to pick people out for been dyslexic then your a nonse.

First things first if you have a problem with how i spell then take that up on a PM it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Also if you don't like my oppinion on something then simple state that, don't go around insulting people while letting them know, its pointless.

Now i never said Light was a good person. I did say that in his mind what he was doing was good and he was doing it all for the good of the world. That he was a mixed character! It was quite clearly murder and he took it out of hand.#

And when i said he was just really good and complex i was talking about his character. Not that he himself was doing good. Maybe i should have made that clearer.

HikariKain
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I think light had to make a decision no-body else would ever have to make. To become a murderer, it was more like making a personal sacrifice to him.

However, obviously something got into his head though, telling him it was OK to judge people. Humans DON`T have the right to judge ANYBODY. Let alone deserve to make the decision to kill people. anyone who does, has to have some sort of a God complex. is that what makes people bad?

I like Light BECAUSE he`s evil. He is on the bad-guys side. He wanted to dictate the world. Even if it was supposed to be a good world. It`s guys like Him that are the source of all the worlds evil. Homophobia, Racism, all discrimination are caused by people like Light. Luckily, they don`t have a death note.

ZukaxxMimozu
02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I don't guess it matters, since he died in the end, so there's no reason to get uptight about it, but I don't really like that fact either

RJ169
02-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I think light had to make a decision no-body else would ever have to make. To become a murderer, it was more like making a personal sacrifice to him.

However, obviously something got into his head though, telling him it was OK to judge people. Humans DON`T have the right to judge ANYBODY. Let alone deserve to make the decision to kill people. anyone who does, has to have some sort of a God complex. is that what makes people bad?

I like Light BECAUSE he`s evil. He is on the bad-guys side. He wanted to dictate the world. Even if it was supposed to be a good world. It`s guys like Him that are the source of all the worlds evil. Homophobia, Racism, all discrimination are caused by people like Light. Luckily, they don`t have a death note.

light was not a bad person he was just misunderstood, and when you say people like Light you know that he never killed because of race or if someone was gay. he was killing people who committed crimes

Patchouli Knowledge
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
He isn't good or bad, Light did the right thing the bad and way for the bad reasons. His first goal was to get rid off every bad thing in the world and to reshape that world as an utopia. This was one of the things that was good about him. But later he became to have a to big ego, you know nature of people can be easily corrupted by power and the power went through his head, as soon he didn't want to merely get rid of every criminal but he also wanted to be ''god''.

Light wasn't a bad person at the start but as soon as he found challenge and wanted to become god he became a bad person. As you could see when light lost the death note and forget everything he became instantly good without a problem. So to answer your question light was good but the death note corrupted him.

HikariKain
02-05-2009, 06:50 PM
light was not a bad person he was just misunderstood, and when you say people like Light you know that he never killed because of race or if someone was gay. he was killing people who committed crimes

But he never actually knew anyone he killed (at least, most people). How was he to know that anyone wasn`t as innocent as he was? He couldn`t have even been sure if some people had even commited those crimes.

Good point though... Having a god complex alone isn`t honestly enough to make a person evil...

He isn't good or bad, Light did the right thing the bad and way for the bad reasons. His first goal was to get rid off every bad thing in the world and to reshape that world as an utopia. This was one of the things that was good about him. But later he became to have a to big ego, you know nature of people can be easily corrupted by power and the power went through his head, as soon he didn't want to merely get rid of every criminal but he also wanted to be ''god''.

Light wasn't a bad person at the start but as soon as he found challenge and wanted to become god he became a bad person. As you could see when light lost the death note and forget everything he became instantly good without a problem. So to answer your question light was good but the death note corrupted him.

Is a person any more bad after they`ve commited crimes than before? He was corupted from the start, otherwise he wouldn`t have had the vanity to use the death note in the first place.

I used to agree with this at one point. Light does seem somehow more pure at the beginning...

Patchouli Knowledge
02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Is a person any more bad after they`ve commited crimes than before? He was corupted from the start, otherwise he wouldn`t have had the vanity to use the death note in the first place.

I used to agree with this at one point. Light does seem somehow more pure at the beginning...

Light is pure at the beginning the death note just corrupted him, you must understand his position back then, those guys where harassing someone if you would have the chance wouldn't you stop those people even if it have to be that way? or would you just let them harass that person besides in the start he does it for justices and not because he wants to be god.

HikariKain
02-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Light is pure at the beginning the death note just corrupted him, you must understand his position back then, those guys where harassing someone if you would have the chance wouldn't you stop those people even if it have to be that way? or would you just let them harass that person besides in the start he does it for justices and not because he wants to be god.

Hmm... Don`t you think its a little conceited to think that you have that much power? Or that anyone deserves to have that much power?

Take it from this veiw.The person who was being harassed is actually part of a gang. he joined completely willingly, specifically to become more powerful. He`s picked on many-a-person in his time, even killed. He was teasing a small boy one day, just for fun. when the boy went home and told his two older brothers, they go after the gangsta. They catch him alone, and harass him, just trying to show him how it feels to be bullied. You stop them. Are you on the good side, or the bad side? You wouldn`t know the difference. While both sides are tainted, but one is worse than the other, and is it your right to chose which one is to be punished?

This is the right Light reserves by using the death note. And it is a right he reserved from the begining. It only gets worse from there

.Gogo
02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Light didn't have the right to judge anyone. Though it is true that if the Death Note had fallen into someone else's hands, they could/would have used it for worse purposes, like revenge or greed. However Light thought what he was doing was noble, and in his mind it was the right thing to do, and it was a form of divine justice. However it was never his decision to make, he himself wasn't perfect, either. And in the end he became one of those he had been using the Death Note to kill, and also thought of himself as a 'god' because of his ability to do so. A bad person? I don't know, because I don't judge.

---

Patchouli Knowledge
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Hmm... Don`t you think its a little conceited to think that you have that much power? Or that anyone deserves to have that much power?

Take it from this veiw.The person who was being harassed is actually part of a gang. he joined completely willingly, specifically to become more powerful. He`s picked on many-a-person in his time, even killed. He was teasing a small boy one day, just for fun. when the boy went home and told his two older brothers, they go after the gangsta. They catch him alone, and harass him, just trying to show him how it feels to be bullied. You stop them. Are you on the good side, or the bad side? You wouldn`t know the difference. While both sides are tainted, but one is worse than the other, and is it your right to chose which one is to be punished?

This is the right Light reserves by using the death note. And it is a right he reserved from the begining. It only gets worse from there

I think those brothers do have the right to pick on that person, because there protecting the weak, instead of harassing the weak, like light did in the beginning, he wanted to get rid of all the criminals because he wanted to make a better world for the people who constantly get picked on and stuff. But I think he was later on corrupted by the power when he also started to kill innocent people just so that he could be ''god''. from there one he was being wrong.

Also if you saw the end you could see that he regret what he had done, people who aren't good born evil and corrupt don't feel that kind of regret in the end.

Light became bad when he wanted to play god instead of saving people

HikariKain
02-05-2009, 07:50 PM
I think those brothers do have the right to pick on that person, because there protecting the weak, instead of harassing the weak, like light did in the beginning, he wanted to get rid of all the criminals because he wanted to make a better world for the people who constantly get picked on and stuff.

Yeah, I get that. Which is why I wrote it. If a person were to walk in the middle of the harrassing, it would seem as though the brothers were the antagonists.

do you believe that light should have died? not for the meaning of the anime, but as a person, does anyone really deserve to die?

I kinda believe in what Light did, to be honest. But that doesn`t mean it`s something I endorse. Bad people exist. Such is the way of the world. But good people exist too, and it`s never easy to tell them apart. Light isn`t god, he never was, and he should not have been so conceited as to think that he could use the power of a god.

btw, thanks for this debat (so far =P), it`s been refreshing ^.^

hitokiribattousai_azumi
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Light, i think is both good and evil.... good meaning he wants for the world to be a safe place and that kind of thing but he is evil because if someone commits a crime once that person cannot ask for forgiveness and make up for it... Light just kills them of quick and makesit look like you have only one shot at life and if you do something wrong expect to die soon that kind of thing... he's cute tho....

LiLi.
02-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't know.
Because at first, he wiped out people who are bad and tried to make a new world. But at the end, he started to kill good people who tried to stop him.

Robin Sena
02-06-2009, 10:32 AM
He was only trying to clean up Japan of crime. The power of The Death Note only got the worst of his mind and he got carried away, poor bloke. It's easy to get carried away with something like The Death Note, and they say power corrupts, even with good people like Light.

scarlett62
02-09-2009, 06:25 AM
i think he was just trying to do the right thing using the wrong weapons. i started desliking him a little bit when he got really self-centered and was cleaning the world for power and not for humanity

AnimeGirlX95
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
DUHHHHHH!!! Light was a total bad guy!!! He killed thousands of people!!! L is 5 times better than Light will ever be! :closedeye

Dr. Hax
03-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Wow did my quick typing and miss spelling offend you? Oh i don't care.
If your going to pick people out for been dyslexic then your a nonse.

1. I doubt it matters, your sense of caring.

2. A child, am I? Well, pardon me for getting irritated by spelling and grammatical errors.

Now i never said Light was a good person. I did say that in his mind what he was doing was good and he was doing it all for the good of the world. That he was a mixed character! It was quite clearly murder and he took it out of hand.#

And when i said he was just really good and complex i was talking about his character. Not that he himself was doing good. Maybe i should have made that clearer.

Now if you said this from the start, none of our qualms would've ever happened.

As for what I just put in bold type, officers get paid to handle such a job. Justice should be left to them instead of people playing heroic vigilante from behind the scenes. If an officer needs help, I can understand a bystander or two helping. That's good citizenship. Would you agree?

RumSwiller
03-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Like most other people have already stated, I agree with them not considering him a villain. BUT, He was still killing people. Regardless if they are a criminal or not, THAT is still against the law. So, technically, he IS a criminal, but with good intention? I really enjoyed the death note series.

Dr. Hax
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Like most other people have already stated, I agree with them not considering him a villain. BUT, He was still killing people. Regardless if they are a criminal or not, THAT is still against the law. So, technically, he IS a criminal, but with good intention? I really enjoyed the death note series.

That's being a criminal with what he believed to be good intention. Idealism pales in comparison to realism. If someone kills when they aren't authority, they are a criminal, regardless of whether they did it out of "good intention" or not.

Kurezi
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
He was both good and bad. In the end, his ego got the best of him.

Aizmov
03-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes!
No one has the right to pass judgment on people!
Kira took things too far and started murdering innocent people!
I hated him!

Best Death Note episode was when he died.

Memento Mori
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM

I don't.

Anything you can do to keep yourself from looking like a moron, do it.

And, no, I do not believe Light was the good guy. He was the villian all the way.

While his intentions of having a peaceful world were great, the law should not be placed into the hands of one person. He abused the power severely in the end. In fact, all the way through, he just wanted to power.

Knightmare_Zero
03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
i supported light because he wanted to do something good for the world

MUSION
03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I guess in the typical 'killing is wrong no matter what' point of view, Light was a 'bad person'. Though the question asks for what I think. Personally, no, I don't think he was a bad person and I support what he did 100%. Even before he had the Death Note, Light wanted the world to change. Then he got the choice, change the world by killing people, or don't change the world. I damn well know which I'd pick.

While I do see it a favourable to chuck scum in prison, hoping that it will deter others (also so that they can suffer for whatever they did and maybe even change their ways), it costs other peoples' time and money to do so, which just isn't worth it. Although, the reason that they're there makes a difference.

EDIT: Fixed a mistake.

Kotensho
03-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Yes!
No one has the right to pass judgment on people!
Kira took things too far and started murdering innocent people!
I hated him!

Best Death Note episode was when he died.

What Kira did was right in every way.
He tried to get rid of all the injustice in the world.
I know innocent lives were took but that is the price for a peaceful world.
I, myself would gladly sacrifice my self for Kira's cause.

Magical Soul
03-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Damn i would too, i actually looked up to him.

ProGoddess
03-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Light, in my opinion, is a person who is looking for justice according to his own will. I cant tell whether this is considered right or wrong. In fact there isnt. However in the eye of the law, he does seem to be "wrong" to kill or take another person's life whenever he feels like.

Dr. Hax
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
What Kira did was right in every way.
He tried to get rid of all the injustice in the world.
I know innocent lives were took but that is the price for a peaceful world.
I, myself would gladly sacrifice my self for Kira's cause.

Wrong. It is impossible for him to get rid of injustice in the world. Injustice is ongoing. As a result, he would continuously be killing. I don't call that right. I call that murder. Murder is a crime. He is committing injustice by murdering others but nooo. (Intentional stretching of the "nooo") You see a murderer as a god and you supporting him would make you one of the world's enemies. Your friends and family would turn their backs on you.

Light, in my opinion, is a person who is looking for justice according to his own will. I cant tell whether this is considered right or wrong. In fact there isnt. However in the eye of the law, he does seem to be "wrong" to kill or take another person's life whenever he feels like.

Looking for justice by stopping injustice of his own will. That's being a vigilante. That's a wrongdoing right there. He is also trying to play god so there's another wrongdoing, despite that being more of a moral issue.

yesha
03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
i think 1st time he is a good person then he changed to a very evil person that only think about his dream to become the god of new world

03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah i suupported light but i found some of the killings were unncesary such as the yotsuba group.

Zenga
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
His goal was noble, but he became a total douche trying to reach it. In the end, he was a very arrogant man with a god-complex with no meaningful connection to anyone.

Doctor One
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Isn't that like 1000 counts of homicide?
Gee, I'm pretty sure that's bad.

daft
03-26-2009, 02:50 AM
He was a very very bad man.

CrystalAce
03-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Well, like many people over here have said, Light originally had noble intention of bringing peace to the world, however too much power in his hand changed his personality slowly and he became more and more addicted to the death note the more he used it. It was a huge power in the hand of a single person so, any common individual would have found it hard to control their inner evil desires.

So, initially he was not a bad person, just a common person, but later on the presence of death note turned him evil.

So, I would just say he became evil due to the influence of the death note.

Yuki_snow_flake
03-27-2009, 04:28 AM
well...i think he was a good person 'cuz he wanted a world without crimes and killers =]

ichimoku_fanboy
03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
i honesty think he was a good person at heart.. he just got a little... sidetracted with the whole L intervention

Light was a really smart person that hated crime wit a vengeance, i almost think it was destined for him to find the death note, it was almost... too perfect
-eyes dart around room-

flclamvman
03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
I seriously wish a utopia was possible, but it isn't.
that's why i was rooting for L the whole time.
Light had good intentions but an unrealistic goal

Dr. Hax
03-31-2009, 01:05 AM
well...i think he was a good person 'cuz he wanted a world without crimes and killers =]

But he killed those killers...That's murder, a crime. Talk about hypocritical.

He isn't good. No criminal is good. Crime is bad and Light payed the price with his own life.

Funkazilla
03-31-2009, 01:08 AM
His plan sounded good. At first it sounded like he could get rid of crime. But would he just stop there. He killed people for just about anything in the end. He even said it himself, that he would punish people for lesser crimes once the hardened criminals had been removed. I would really hate to be condemned to death for tax evasion or something silly like that. As broken as legal systems might be, they are better than summary execution. This isn't the court of robocop.

GrimStride™
03-31-2009, 03:59 AM
The idea was good but the means weren't.Although it would have been perfect if he killed himself in the end after secceeding like the main character in CodeGeass

_-Midnight-_
03-31-2009, 05:27 AM
I agree with light but that dosent mean he was right

Dark-Sasuke
03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
The director intentionally made light to be morraly fixated on a double edged blade of desicions to get people discussing, read it somewhere :S . In the words of FMA "Humankind can not obtain anything without first sacrificing something" i guess Light new the consequences, but for once in mankind, acted for the future instead of planning for the future. I'd say he was a good guy with morales, but his determination would force him to make decisions to disregard morales for the good of man-kind, he changed himself for the better of mankind from his standpoint. For the victims i guess he was a bad guy because a murder can never be justified. I guess it depends on who's stand point you take :D

demon ninja vizard
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
NOTE: I am sorry, but I just felt a little lazy to read what you've said…sorry again.

In Death Note, I never really saw anyone as a "good" nor a "bad" guy because this is actually one of the few were you can't put any of the star characters into the categories. They ["L" and Light] were both on the same side of thinking, wanting to bring justice to the world, but they both had totally different ways of doing it—Light with his Death Note and "L" going through the court process(es). However, if I was forced to put Light into a categories it would have to be as a "good" guy, just with some bad ways of going about it.

samurai_fang001
04-02-2009, 07:52 AM
to an extent I think Light was a modern day example of a shakespearian fallen hero. He was good at first but he let the power go to his head. I mean he kills people he was close with, HE EVEN LET HIS OWN FATHER GET KILLED DANG IT ALL! I think that if Light didn't touch the death note or refused it's power I think he would've been a pessimistic joe like the rest of us...

rulezz
04-10-2009, 04:18 AM
good?no!
evil?no!
awesome?yes!

mimichan1000
04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
No i liked Light alot.
I did not see him as a villian.
He kept me entertained.

Yugure's Goddess
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, let's just throw out the killing criminals part. Let's just pretend that doesn't happened becuase that's kind of difficult to decide from just that.

How about the fact that he was killing countless innocents like the FBI members tracking him down just to cover his arse? Or the fact that he started killing people who were HELPING him, again, just to cover his arse? Or the fact that he WANTED to kill people with nothing but minor character flaws like being lazy or lying (which, actually basically means killing almost everybody), by the end of it? Or the fact that RIGHT AFTER he started killing, all he could think about was being a god and obtaining more power?

Yeah. No. He is NOT a good person. His intentions may have been good at first but he's really just an egocentric mass murderer looking out for numero uno and nobody else. By the end of series, if you think about what he was doing, to the extreme he was taking everything and how all of his judgments just kept escalating beyond all reason, he's really just systematically enslaving the whole planet.

love
dani
dude

SteelFlex
04-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Light wasnt a good guy. He is somewhat like Pain from Naruto :P

kira-killed-me
04-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I think that when he started he had good intentions although he became obsessed with winning, so his intentions become clouded over.

blackrosetwilight
04-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I think that when he started he had good intentions although he became obsessed with winning, so his intentions become clouded over.
yep I second what you just said

4mourn
04-12-2009, 04:38 AM
raito had good intentions in the begining, but "as with the power comes the responsibility", he later became corrupted by his power and crossed the border of sanity xD

Neddog
04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Yup, I totally agree that his intentions started out good, but he spiraled down a dark path with his obsession to win, losing his morality in the process.

However, the seed was always there from the start, with his God Complex and Narcissism. However good his intentions were, he had always felt that he was above others and qualified to judge them, which is a major flaw in his own character.

4mourn
04-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Yup, I totally agree that his intentions started out good, but he spiraled down a dark path with his obsession to win, losing his morality in the process.

However, the seed was always there from the start, with his God Complex and Narcissism. However good his intentions were, he had always felt that he was above others and qualified to judge them, which is a major flaw in his own character.

yeah, one great mistake is to underestimate others, especially oponents or enemies, it could lead to defeat xD

Archaic Devices
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
When he first got the Death Note, he wasn't really a bad person. He just wanted to get rid of criminals. Then the power got to his head and he got more caught up with trying to kill L than actually killing the criminals. That's when he became a crazy bad guy killing innocent people because they wanted to capture him or because they knew stuff he didn't want them to know. Also the fact that he wanted to be the God of the new world was a little over the top for a good guy :x

LOVE STUFF
04-13-2009, 12:57 AM
When he first got the Death Note, he wasn't really a bad person. He just wanted to get rid of criminals. Then the power got to his head and he got more caught up with trying to kill L than actually killing the criminals. That's when he became a crazy bad guy killing innocent people because they wanted to capture him or because they knew stuff he didn't want them to know. Also the fact that he wanted to be the God of the new world was a little over the top for a good guy :x

I totally agree with you but let me add something.I believe that even if he didn't get the death note he would do something evil. He was always like that, you can tell in the first episode.Didnt nobody notice that he didnt question about a shinigami creature being in his room.A sane person would question about it.I would be kind of freak out because I would think that im going crazy.Besides that,I totally think you are right.

Neddog
04-13-2009, 01:37 AM
I totally agree with you but let me add something.I believe that even if he didn't get the death note he would do something evil. He was always like that, you can tell in the first episode.Didnt nobody notice that he didnt question about a shinigami creature being in his room.A sane person would question about it.I would be kind of freak out because I would think that im going crazy.Besides that,I totally think you are right.

Yup, I agree. There's something not right about that boy. As there usually is with somebody who believes he's destined to be God of the new world. ;)

Sapphire14
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
He was all right in the beginning. Then he started going insane and power-hungry. He got a bit too cocky and that lead him to the end. I'm a supporter of L so yeah. L was awesome and in my eyes was the real "good guy".

LOVE STUFF
04-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Yup, I agree. There's something not right about that boy. As there usually is with somebody who believes he's destined to be God of the new world. ;)

LOL yup!!definitely!!(^_^)

Yugure's Goddess
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry to say, he started loosing it as soon as he got a hold of the power. He was just using the "I'm saving the world" line to justify all of his actions. See, less than a week after he obtained the power and BEFORE L even showed up he said, and I quote "I will become the God of this new world."

Yeah, didn't really need L to inspire that crazy, power-mongering ideaology which makes him eager to kill anyone who poses even a minor threat to him. He got there all on his own, and that's just because of that old adage "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." I believe this is the theme of the entire manga/anime. Cause, when he loses his memory, you see that, without the influence of the power he had, he's actually a very likeable, responsible, honest, good-natured person, but as soon as he retrieves the Death Note he returns to the ol' psychopath, we all know and love.

By the way, Light is probably my favorite character in the entire the show, but that's just because I love me some crazy! Plus he's an effin' genius. And those two things, my friends = awesome, in my book.

love
dani
dude

Legend of the Twilight
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Light was the biggest a$$hole I've ever seen in an anime. He got what he deserved in the end of the series. He was just power hungry and a hypocrite. He thought of himself as a god! Talk about some arrogance. Then he'd tell people how immoral they are, while at the same time USING people and killing off anyone he didn't like!

yakman1692
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Light wasn't a bad person at first, he was doing what he thought was best for the world and sacrificing himself to do it. It wasn't until later that he became somewhat of a jerk and no longer cared about saving the world, but being God.

In his position, I probably would have killed some bad people too, just not to the extreme like he did.

Yugure's Goddess
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, another one of my beefs with his whole "kill criminals" thing, is that he works under the assumption that everyone in prison is guilty. There have been MANY MANY MANY people convicted of crimes that they had NOTHING to do with. How do you justify killing those people, especially since there is no way to really know which are truly innocent and which are truly guilty? (Unless you have infallible proof, which is also difficult to come by.)

As smart as Light is, this is an obsticle to such a goal. However, Light kills indiscriminantly. If they're in prison, or even if they were JUST taken in as a suspect for a crime (see the episodes when he was first put under surveilence by L) he kills them. It's a complete error in logic and judgement plus it's a very unrealistic campaign he embarks on. This and the many other reasons I have posted are the reasons why I don't consider Light a good person. Not one bit.

However, he is my favorite character. He's freakin' awesome. But he is definately NOT a good guy.

love
dani
dude

Shinigami_55
04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
of curse Light is a good guy;evry person tht thinks tht is doing something for th humanity nd only him can do it is nutsy good guy!its like evry dictator;is doing th bst he can,bt is not enough!!

kero_-_chan
04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
i follow Lights beleifs to the letter and if i had the deathnote, id do the exact same things with it.

Seta Souji
05-01-2009, 02:53 AM
In the beginning he had good intentions but as L, Near, and Mellow closed in on him, he had to sacrifice innocent lives in order to outsmart them.

skyethedemon
05-01-2009, 07:03 AM
i think he was bad right from the start. He may have wanted to make the world a nicer place but you cant do it by killing people no matter how bad they are.

IcePriestess
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think Light was really a bad person. Everything would have been ok, if he didn't let the anger take over. Just try to imagine yourself in his situation. I think i would have done the same thing. But the bad thing was, that he wanted to become a god. I think just getting rid of the criminals was ok. ( actually when he died in the end I cried) :(

Moko Chan
05-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I thought what Light was doing was wrong. Yeah sure the criminals had to be punished for what they did but.. they didnt have to be punished by death.

Hibiki-Vandread
05-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Light was my favorite character, to bad he got killed at the end...sad face = (, he ended up getting sloppy by making some minor mistakes I think...even though he killed L Light was awsome...curse you Near and switching the deathnote with a exact copy ><

SailorTwilight
05-03-2009, 04:50 AM
I don't think Light was really a bad person. Everything would have been ok, if he didn't let the anger take over. Just try to imagine yourself in his situation. I think i would have done the same thing. But the bad thing was, that he wanted to become a god. I think just getting rid of the criminals was ok. ( actually when he died in the end I cried) :(

I agree with you all the day on this. If I had the power to kill the people that needed to die because of their sins then i would of wrote their names in the Death Note. Also, I cried so much for him at the end that my eyes was bloodshot red. T~T I wuv my Light!!!!! T~T *sobs*

Light was not a bad person, he just wanted peace installed into the world and would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for Toushiro's look alike Near messing up his plan. >.<

Dr. Hax
05-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I agree with you all the day on this. If I had the power to kill the people that needed to die because of their sins then i would of wrote their names in the Death Note. Also, I cried so much for him at the end that my eyes was bloodshot red. T~T I wuv my Light!!!!! T~T *sobs*

Light was not a bad person, he just wanted peace installed into the world and would of gotten away with it if it wasn't for Toushiro's look alike Near messing up his plan. >.<

Then you would've been labeled as a murderer by now. People would be trying to find out who it was. I think they would be having an easier time finding you as chances are, you're not as high up there in knowhow as Light and L.

Fantards don't seem to get it. Light was a power hungry murderer, a very bad person, in my eyes, if you ask me.

LolitaDoll
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Well, i am a fan of Light's, but I understand your point ^ ^
Light wasn't really good from the beginning...Killing is a bad thing- if he kills, doesn't that just make him evil too? Besides, in the end, like other ppl are saying, he wanted to be god. He threw people away once they were of no use to him.
I'm a fan of light's because of his evil personality and cunning tactics, but in the end the task force got to him D:

~Mithrosent~
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I don't think he's a villain really. Just someone who started off with good intentions, and it ended up taking over everything he did and thought of. It was an addiction. The dream of having a world and being the ruler seemed to fit neatly with him. xD.

Dr. Hax
05-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't think he's a villain really. Just someone who started off with good intentions, and it ended up taking over everything he did and thought of. It was an addiction. The dream of having a world and being the ruler seemed to fit neatly with him. xD.

Fit neatly, yes but it got him killed. Justice prevailed as it should always.

Hibiki-Vandread
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM

agreed it was the power of the death note that corupted light, his intentions were good. cursed addictions lol...still though even though he became corrupted with the power he had still was sad that he ended up dieing at the end, and yes it would have fit him neatly if he had achieved his dream.

Señor Nobody
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Light Yagami: Ego-maniac jack who kills indiscriminately. Let's forget the fact that he wanted to make the world a better place, what he did was murder. He also killed many innocent people like L, Raye Penbar, Raye's fiance (I never remembered her name). Also, he killed criminals who were probably framed, regretted what they did, and those whose crimes were nothing! (Petty robbery)

His logic fails and I'm happy he died.

Tenshi Ja Nai
05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I love Light but he was not all there in the head. XD

lovelicious
05-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Light was my favorite character in the beginning. I understand his meaning of the world. I mean, thoughts like 'This world is rotten and someone has to change it, etc.. Still, as the story went on, he began to change. He began to kill anyone that got in his way and think himself as God. That's when I started to think that he is too much. He got carried on, I guess.

yakman1692
05-05-2009, 08:03 PM
The argument that some of the people he killed didn't deserve to die is true, but there are plenty of innocent people who die for a better world.

While some people may say what Light did was wrong, he made the world a better place. Crime was down, even if it was out of fear. And even after Light died, the crime rate would probably stay down for a while because the people would be afraid Kira would come back.