PDA

View Full Version : Elfen Lied Opening - Lilium.

MelancholyMelody
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Other thread was closed so I had to make a new one. Hope it's okay. :sweatdrop
The lyrics are wrong; I submitted a full version of the lyrics just now, but the current ones for the opening theme are incorrect.
You can listen to the video accompanying them to hear. (Located here: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/elfenlied/lilium.htm)
They've got some little mistakes and also one small part from the full version without being the full version of the lyrics.

I'll post the original with the corrections in red:
"Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam,
Et lingua eius loquetur indicium.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem,
Quoniqm cum probates fuerit accipient coronam vitae.

X(Kyrie, fons bonitatis)X <---(Shouldn't be here; is only in the full ver.)
Kyrie, ignis divine, eleison.

O quam sancta, quam serena,
Quam benigma, quam amoena
O castitatis lilium."

Taken from: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wsR8tY2psmw
Lyrics in description. I was listening and you can just hear that the lyrics in the description are correct, and the lyrics already posted here are not: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/elfenlied/lilium.htm

Found it mostly because I realised "Quoniam" was clearly not what was being sung.

Full lyrics are these which I just submitted:
"Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam,
Et lingua eius loquetur indicium.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem,
Quoniqm cum probates fuerit accipient coronam vitae.

Kyrie, fons bonitatis.

Quam benigma, quam amoena esse Virgo creditur.
Quam benigma, quam amoena,
O castitatis lilium.

[Instrumental]

Kyrie, fons bonitatis.

Quam benigma, quam amoena,
O castitatis lilium."

:thanks:

AzureDark
12-31-2008, 02:41 AM

The lyrics we post on the site must be the full version. We embedded the youtube vids just to show where it's used (anime) or the PV (J-music), but the lyrics shouldn't follow the TV-size versions.

The previous poster is Italian and should be knowing more Latin than you. In fact you only based the translit from someone else's vid.

MelancholyMelody
12-31-2008, 07:49 PM
I am aware of that, but at least concerning the word "Quoniqm" you can actually hear that it's correct and "Quoniam" is wrong; in fact if you listen you can simply hear that a lot of what I put as a correction is what is being sung. I may not have directly written it myself, but when I found those from that other person I could hear they were correct and thought someone might appreciate me helping.

I mean, the other poster may be Italian but that doesn't equal Latin, after all, even English has a lot of vocabulary derived from Latin. It may be easier for him/her to learn Latin but it doesn't mean they know it perfectly. He might have even typoed a couple of things.

Sorry if I'm causing trouble or something; I could just hear that what was there was wrong, so I thought I should say something just so people get the right lyrics is all.
When I checked animelyrics for them I was disappointed to find them inaccurate, so that's why I thought I'd try to help.
I'm just going on what I heard and an educated guess.
Again, sorry, I didn't mean to get anyone angry or anything. I'm not trying to insult anyone. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0117.gif

But um... concerning the lyrics posted on the site being the full version, yes what was there already wasn't the full one; it was the shortened version used for the anime's opening but with the extra line "Kyrie, fons bonitatis" which doesn't appear in the opening (you can hear it on the youtube video that is embedded on this page: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/elfenlied/lilium.htm )

So, if the full version should be the one posted then the lyrics I put at the end and indicated were the full ones should be the ones used I guess. With or without the corrections I made depending on what you decide or whatever.
Really, I'm sorry for the bother, I was just trying to help.

hamo_animo
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
elfen lied is one of my fav anime :)

AzureDark
01-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Like I said in the previous post, this is a problem song for the lyrics community. It's in Latin which I have no clue about, so I can't pass judgment that comes from my own knowledge unlike if it's in Japanese (I wonder why problem songs are always the ones which aren't Japanese...)

That said I went and did my own research...

"Quoniqm", even if the booklet for the Elfen Lied OST puts that as such, is not a Latin word. I can only assume that they mistook "quoniam" (161000 hits on Google) that was written in classic facetype. Thus the real problem comes from careless songmakers.

Then another problem lies in, which Lilium is the full version? I can tell you there are about a million versions out there, the true length of the complete song can't be verified. I suspect people do edits to this song because they want the extra lines added to the longer version or whatever.

For this one... I don't have the real full version with me but I trust you to have it.

AL is inaccurate in a lot of places and it's frustrating. I only took over a year ago and I've seen a lot of haphazard lyrics - most of em are still up there. But I can't listen to -all- the music posted up here so I can't check, so I have to rely on people like you to alert me. I apologise for barking you off without looking at the problem first, because usually people post "corrections" for these problem songs but make it worse in the end.