View Full Version : Warcraft 3
10-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Okay, I really suck at this game.
Anyone have any good stragety's for winning? Or at least surviving a little longer than half an hour?
10-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Sorry to say, I only played up to 2. Haven't played 3 through sheer laziness.
10-17-2003, 01:29 AM
Alot of people who've played the others say Three sucks, but it's the only one I've played.
10-17-2003, 01:47 AM
::SCRATCHES OUT HER EYEBALLS:: THE MINIONS! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!
Build many defense structures in your base. Like those towers that throw spears or something for humans, zigurats ( i don't know if i spell it right ) for the undead... ect. But don't just put them anywhere, build them in good places. Put many peasants to work, this way you'll gather resourses faster. Use many different kinds of units. For example, in the human campaign, use Footmen and Riflemen together. Because Footmen can only hit targets that are on the ground... I don't remember anything else now cause I haven't played it in awhile.
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I was disappointed. The upkeep was kind of a cool idea, and I saw where they were going with that, but it just didn't work well in practice. The game became less about strategy, and solely about gathering. That's what I didn't like about it.
10-17-2003, 07:18 PM
I like the gathering, it's just hard to hurry up and get it over with and run off and kill things.
This is the strategy that someone told me.
You always start out with five guys right? Put three in the gold mine, one to the trees, and build barraks with the other.
Then train three more guys, put two of them to the tree's, and put one to building farms.
By then the guy building the barraks will be done, so you can start gaining men, then use that guy to build an altar of storms, and then when the other guy has about 7 or so farms, either use him to build more things, or to gather something.
That's kinda a good one, but you need to tweak it.
10-19-2003, 04:35 AM
For undead.. Do what I do. Make a crap load of Necromancers, and set them all up with all auto-casting raise skeleton. Make shades early in the game and plant them in your opponents base. If there's a base near your base that can't be reached because of trees, start chopping down that wood in the startin' of the game, 'cause it makes things much easier. Oh yeah, and make lot's o' ant things. Those things rawk, 'cause the immobilize (sp? Bah, I'm tired) flying things. You'd also probably want those big things.. I forget what they're called, but they're big.. And have much hp. :D
10-19-2003, 02:28 PM
They're spiders, they shoot webs.
And how do you do the auto raise thing?
10-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Ah, you right click the skill, and it will automatically cast the raise skeleton spell once it has enough mana, and is close enough to a corpse.
10-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Haha, I had no idea you could do that.
10-19-2003, 11:26 PM
Some basic tips would be to never have more than 6 people mining in a mine. Dont stay in high upkeep for too long, its a big waste of resources.
If you control most of the resources or have a lot of them, then your most likely the more powerful player since you can just keep building more and more units at a good research level from those resources.
Dont research everything (sword upgrades, armour, magic units) unless you have heaps of resources, its better to be strong at something than ok at everything.
Plan how your base will look so you position towers at the best positions to counter an attack later on. Keep peasants away from enemy armies, turn them into militia if you really have to.
You can never have too many peasants, but if you do, you can always send them to some death mission such as chopping trees in enemy territory to free your upkeep.
Make sure at the start, your base can be independent enough to sit there without needing to keep an eye on them, that way you can use your heroes to kill wild beasts to level up more or maybe annoy the enemy by doing hit and runs on its peasants if the hero is fast.
Dont always send your army to the front of the enemy base, theres always another way. sometimes you can lead the army out of there or attack smaller enemy outposts that have peasants mining gold.
those tips should help. im not that good at this game, so i always play 3 vs 3.
10-20-2003, 04:44 PM
A good map to learn on is Booty Bay.
Because they are four extra gold mines, and you can really get an monopoly on gold.
Like, I was playing undead against undead with Omni, and he pretty much destroyed my base, and we were both out of gold, so I unsummoned enough buildings to haunt another gold mine, powered up, and came back and killed him with abunch of Gargoyles.
I wish I could think like that everytime I play.
10-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Some important things to think about are:
1) Defense. It's easy to break through with siege units, so think of defenses as a way to slow the enemy army down while you bring your main force back to protect it. DO NOT rely on towers, there's nothing funnier than taking out 20 towers with 1 catapult.
2) Creep. Get a hero as fast as you can and go kill the small creep camps with it and 2 or 3 basic units. Also, if possible, killing creep camps near your enemy's base can give you an advantage since they won't grab as much exp and items.
3) Don't leave items laying around! It's free stuff for the bad guys, attack unwanted items to destroy them.
4) Expand. Don't wait till your gold mine begins to run low, expand and build a few towers around your expansion. You only need to hold the base for a few minutes to make back the money you spent to build it, so don't worry too much about defending.
5) Offense. Hit and run attacks work great, kill a few peasants or a couple farms then run to heal. Don't waste units by fighting even when you know you're going to lose the battle.
6) Upkeep. There's lots of complaining about this new feature. Starcraft was all about hitting the 200/200 limit then crushing your enemy, WCIII requires more micromanagement. Try to stay in No Upkeep (<50) as long as possible but build several barracks so you can train multiple units at once. When you want to make an attack, go into Low Upkeep (I try to never go into High Upkeep, but sometimes you have to).
and most importantly:
7) Spells. These WILL make or break you. Healing, blasting, buffing, debuffing, summoning... With careful spellcasting it's possible to take on an army almost twice your size and win. Learn spells, learn how to use them, learn when to use them.
oh yeah, and in TFT, build an item shop and buy your race's respective orb for each of your melee heroes because it gives them the ability to attack air units.
10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
AhAHaHa, b00ty bay. I remember that map.. That was the map that's all long.. and has these islands off to the top that you can get to with a zepplin. :D Love that map.
10-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Here are a few more that I learned from my last game with Vine.
Build two or three barraks, or whatever the main building things are.
If your undead, DO NOT FREAKING BUILD JUST FLYING THINGS.
Because they can just build a buncha spiders if they're undead.
I love my flying things.
10-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I'm not a fan of war 3. I'll stick with starcraft personaly. There is a lot more strategy involved there i think. Mabey thats just personal taste though. :ph34r:
10-25-2003, 02:34 PM
HaHAha.. Yes. Making JUST gargoyles when you're playing against another undead is not a good strategy. ^__^
And, I think it's personal taste. Warcraft has much more strategy than Starcraft from what I know.
10-28-2003, 09:02 PM
If you would like Ai, I don't mind sparring with you or with anyone else in the forums. I play on USEast, even though I live on the west coast, for some reason I get better lag there. I also have WC3: FrozenThrone Just in case you play that as well, although I'm way better in RoC than in TFT, because I love going raiders. Anyone who says raiders suck, please play me I want to make you laugh! Anyways, I have general tips for everyone, not just favored to one race:
1. Learn to Micro, this probably wins you the game 90% of the time, micro=managing your units and your base/being able to use different spells for individual units fast and effectively/being able to creep effectively(for ex. Leading the biggest/highest lvl creep away from his gang and then killing it alone, hard to explain, I'll show you if I spar with you.)
2. Look at your Map! I know this is a given, but most of the times, people get caught up looking at their heroes than looking at their map and noticing that the enemy is attacking their base. Don't depend on your little peon telling you "Our base is under attack!"
3. Keep tabs on your opponent/s constantly! Always send a sacrificial lamb of some sort once and a while to your enemies base, be it peon or ghoul. Don't wait until you have sentry ward/shades, scout early and often. It sucks to find out that your army of grunts got raped by frost wyrms.
4. Adjust to your opponents strategy. If you're going grunts and your opponent has air, don't keep getting grunts. Also, if you're focused on getting one type of unit or a certain build, don't force it if your opponent is building the counter to it.
5. When being attacked near your base, always lead your opponent into your base. Always go for the home advantage. If you're too far away from your base then TP out! Don't militia/burrow your workers unless you don't think your army can handle it. Also keep pumping out units from your buildings, if you're fighting in your base, as soon as the units pop out they'll attack, which makes it easier than to stray away from battle and bring up your new units.
6. Kill the heroes ASAP! 70% of the time if you kill your opponents hero, they'll fun away, trust me it works! Don't try to kill the hero if it's well defended. A good way to get rid of a hero is to surround it with all your units so it can't run away, then when it's encircled just keep hitting it till it dies, your opponent can either have his/her hero die and you get lots of EXP or they TP out wasting their TP. Whenever you can kill the heroes, it makes a big difference.
7. Don't let your hero die! Always carry a TP and a Pot of healing, especially if your hero is a spellcaster or can't run away fast, for ex. Lich, Preistess of the Moon.
8. If you can, harass in the begininning. If you mess up your opponent with a rush or hero rush they'll miss up and have to exert extra effort to get rid of your annoyance. It's best to harass with Blademaster/Demonhunter/Far Seer/ Keeper of the Grove/ Archmage/ Paladin(only vs. Undead). Focus on killing workers or buildings in progress, especially food buildings(farms,Burrows,Moon Wells).
That's all for now, I hope to see you somewhere on Bnet. Just whisper and we'll spar!
account name : Uzumaki_Naruto
10-28-2003, 09:07 PM
When I get online at my boyfriend's house I'll send you a PM to arrange a game.
Unless you have AIM or something, my aim's NinjaGoesNyuk.
I'm playing the campaign right?
And I'm stuck in the orc campaign when you have to get hellscream in the gem, any tips?
11-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Ah! owned by a peon rush! :blink: (joking :lol: ) Well to an extent your not alone there are alot of warcraft 3 nuts who 'dont' play the game for 24 hours straight <_< . Anyhow I'm pretty bad at frozen throne but ok at roc :D , but naturally like everybody else who tans in the sun needs practise! :)
Sometime in the future though if your up to it Jimmy I'd like some sparring time er- :blink: will it be better if I changed from uswest to useast? As I'm in Australia and half the time I get owned by the 56k modem. <_<
What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expected generally happens.
Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)
11-17-2003, 03:14 AM
heh, try USEAST Wizzard. I find that it's whole less laggier than USWest, I don't know why but it just is. I don't mind sparring with any of you guys or gals, in fact I could use the spar time seeing that I'm rusty at the game. I've been playing CS or Counter-Strike alot lately, and I'm hooked. When my favorite servers are down I pop in WC3 though. Anytime you want to spar just post up the time and day.
I'm usually home around 1:00PM Pacific time on weekdays. Try to post up a day when you're free and I'll try to meet you over Battle.net. I kinda busy on weekends though, so it's best to catch me on a weekday.
We'll have tons of fun, and we'll try to improve on our skills. Don't worry I'll go easy on you guys...just kidding. If you want I'll try my hardest, but if you want to try new strats feel free to. I'm not "1337" but I'm decent.
Alright have a good day!
11-19-2003, 03:07 PM
I haven't played the game in awhile, because I had a stint of being offline, but if anyone wants to bother me for a game, PLEASE do. I really wanna finish the damn thing.
I'm stuck on a night elf campaign, and I really need more play time to get past it.
12-06-2003, 02:05 PM
First of all, expand.Next you expand some more.And when you've expanded expand just one more time.
The KEY to this game is having lots of resources. And don't have a too big army if you are not planning on attacking, and don't rely on defensive structures either. They suck. What you do is you have lots of construction buildings, so that when someone attacks you, you attack them with what you have at the moment and start building heavy units like crazy. And when the attacking force is defeated, you keep on building a few more controlgroups and attack the attacker.
12-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Yes, resources are good, but you really can't get many when you're constantly being attacked ^^
01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
pretty cool game ya?
anyway one tactic really cool and annoying is hero rushing
u can have your hero early in the game and harras the enemies's peons, wisps, etc etc
at the same time, you would be gaining resources and building up an army. if you kill many of his workers he'll loose too much time which gives you a big advantage.
building too many offensive towers may not be a good idea coz they take too much money and can be destroyed easily if the ennemy has two ballistas, meat wagons, etc
if you expand fast, it may be of an advantage but tier 1 units are raelly good in tft so be sure to alweays have a small army ready before you tech up.
once you get used to the game it's really addictive and extremely cool.
01-08-2004, 10:48 PM
what's your favorite race to use? building differs for different races, i really pwn at the game =)
i used to be ranked =( but then i didn't play for 6 months and now i am no longer ranked T_T
well this is what you should do with all the races (except ud aka, undead)
3 peon/whisp/peasnt to go into gold mine, build food supply/atler with other 2
for human, you can just build barrack and once you get a peon, build a farm, and then build another farm right afterwards, you MUST creep, if you don't, the other hero will creep and the hero is everything, i killed my friend's entire army with just 3 heros, and you must NEVER let any of your units die, if it looks like you are going to lose a battle, then run back to your base, no matter what, do not ever lose any units, or try not to at least, if you get attacked, use all the units you can to attack the enemy units, and never autocast, instead, do it manually, use hotkeys and the most important thing is to micro. do not build a lot of towers, because that's just a waste of money, i can kill off 500 towers without getting any of my units getting hurt, unless the enemy attacks my units, towers are useless, you need only 3 at max. the best thing to do is to get 2 heros. they are pretty easy to micro.
the build structure for ud is to first send all 3 acos to the gold mine, then the one that you make, have it summon crypt, ziggurat, and then alter. If you're a noobie, then i suggest you go with either orc or NE (night elves). Orc are easy to defeat though, unless you are very good, and it is not good to have a game that lasts over 20 min, you should try and make the game 10 min or under, that's how most games are that i play... if you play wc3, you can whisper me if you need anymore help, my name's
one more tip, save replays and watch them, you can learn from those.. v ^_^ v
01-08-2004, 11:45 PM
forgot to say one thing, i play on Lordaeron, heh, and about the teching, you don't always have to have a small army, but instead, keep on harassing (hero rushing).
my favorite harass hero = kotg (keeper of the grove) so fun =) you only need to hit the units 2-4 times before they die mwhahah, except for whisps, hehe dun even have to attack one, just cast entangel roots and whisps die, unless they detonate, for peons/aco/peasants, entangle root + 2-4 hits and the units dies, if the enemy is attacking your hero, run back, and if he chasees the hero, run around your units, and your units will kill off them while they are running around catching your hero, ALWAYS buy items from shops, such as boots of speed, circlet, pot of invul, etc. mercs are good too, if you're rushing or something like that ^^
i'll play neyone 1v1 if ya want, none of my friends wanna play me =( they are curse at me when i beat them...
01-09-2004, 08:02 PM
yea keeper's sooo annoying at harrasing i mean he's soo fast and entagle is pretty powerfull.
replays are really good for getting tactics simply go to warcraftreplays.com and download some. some are really cool and some are even funny. anyways i learned alot from looking at replays like there's this guy who used to teach endurance aura and make his TC stand near his peons, they work faster hence more money, wood
01-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I love this game. I used to be completely addicted to it, but that's all changed Hero rushing is what almost every player dos. A successful hero rush can win you the game easily. Orcs are awesome!
01-12-2004, 02:19 AM
omg!! i don't believe it!! watching 1 game made me so much better with orcs, i mean watching a pro game, solo players only though =)
i'm so much better with orc now! xD
and my friend got so much better, he did better than i did and we won 3 games in a row cuz he did so much better, it was all thanks to watching pros play =]
anyone wanan take me on? 1v1? nobody wants to play me!! comon!! one of you wanna play me =]
you know you want to heh
01-12-2004, 02:22 AM
oh yea, forgot to add, it's hard to harass now, because everyone's so good at micro, it's hard to even kill 1 unit, NE's hardest for me to harass against, heh
:huh: Well! first of all you need to try out all 4 teams, and then when you find a team best suited for you!
and at the very start of a map build Altar of Darkness, Elders whateva team your using, and summon a hero and build barracks, ancient of war whateva and build some units, about 4 to 5. then take all your units including your hero to those small weak enemies that lurk around the whole map. kill as many as you can so then your hero Level can increase! and the other team will have a weak ;) hero!
well i cant be bothered typing anymore, but thats my tatics!
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.3 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.