PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Dani california

kira-killed-me
08-29-2008, 09:32 AM
This surprised me and also well... Scared me.
The opening theme for The Last Name is dani california by The chilli peppers.
Any body else have the same thoughts?

xXdark_angel_nekoXx
08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
wow that is crazy i never know that. that is weird.

kira-killed-me
08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
isn't it?

Diocletian
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM
American music is as liked in Japan as much as Japanese music is liked here at least from what Japanese myspaces say, so it's not so wierd.

Think of it this way:
There is an Otaku for anime and Japanese culture in America
There is an Otaku for Hollywood movies and American culture in Japan.

Dark Wolf 09
08-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Gotta say, I loved Death Note, and I loved Red Hot Chilly Peppers, I don't think its odd at all. I love Dani California, got it saved in Itunes library, and I agree with Kurosaki.

Gjallarhorn
08-29-2008, 07:22 PM
American music is as liked in Japan as much as Japanese music is liked here at least from what Japanese myspaces say, so it's not so wierd.

Think of it this way:
There is an Otaku for anime and Japanese culture in America
There is an Otaku for Hollywood movies and American culture in Japan.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying with this...American music is fairly popular in Japan. Big names are known around the world, hence "world tours". On the other hand, Japanese music isn't too big here in the U.S. There is the "anime" sub-culture which in general likes Japanese music, but has little exposure to anything outside of anime theme songs, and an even smaller sub-culture of fans of Japanese music outside of that. You're also making the assumption that anime is popular culture in Japan as Hollywood is here. It's actually quite the opposite.

As for it being used in the series, I don't really care. Song choice is song choice. The only time I'm really interested is when it's a song by a band I actually like.

Diocletian
08-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're saying with this...American music is fairly popular in Japan. Big names are known around the world, hence "world tours". On the other hand, Japanese music isn't too big here in the U.S. There is the "anime" sub-culture which in general likes Japanese music, but has little exposure to anything outside of anime theme songs, and an even smaller sub-culture of fans of Japanese music outside of that. You're also making the assumption that anime is popular culture in Japan as Hollywood is here. It's actually quite the opposite.

As for it being used in the series, I don't really care. Song choice is song choice. The only time I'm really interested is when it's a song by a band I actually like.

It's somewhat popular.I've met a couple of foreign exchange students they told me there are many people in his high school liked rappers like Eminem, and American bands which the language barrier kept me from understanding.

There are some Hollywood movies that make it to Japan, but I'm sure you know that.Terminator is a cult film in Japan.

PigFarts
08-30-2008, 04:52 PM
And the theme for the credits is "Snow (Hey Oh)" by the RHCP.

The films came out in Japan around the time that Stadium Arcadium came out, so they just decided to use RHCP. Hey, because I've that, I've always seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers as the 'spokes-band' for Death Note!

+Namiko+
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I LOVE DNs METAL!!!!!!!! I would have liked a good Japanese metal song like Whats Up People or Zetsubou Billy! They were AWESOME!!!! Anyone agree?

Light Buster
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Seriously?! That's weird because...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWZ0Pb743B0

(Sorry to go off-topic but this seriously weird as well.)

L might as well listen to this song. Japan will find this weird.