PDA

View Full Version : Death note ending

goddragon
08-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Do you think that the show should have ended like that? Should near have lost? What are your thoughts on it?

I think that should have had Light win. He was doing good by reducing the crime.

3pleT
08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
nope. if Light won, another L's successor would be looking for Kira and if Light beat him there would be another one and so on, and all it would do is prolong the series and delay Light's inevitable death.

aishiteru333
08-04-2008, 12:59 PM
He should have gone to jail and had the same fate as those he killed. Kind of an irony thing...

The ending was perfect as it was. I love it. Emotional though...

Sailor Mystery
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
The ending was awsome! I thought L should have been there til the end but near is good too I thought Light should not have died though (maybe beaten half to death put in jail for the rest of his life and other bad things to torture him).

xox.aisubeki.xox
08-04-2008, 03:05 PM
i thought the ending was as good as expected.
i cried when L died.
but i like that ryuk killed him. XD
but in movie with the reali actors
i didnt like the ending.
not at all

Miu Mai
08-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I would've liked Near to lose. I don't know why, but I really hated L, so when Near came into the picture, I hated him too.

As for the ending, I was hoping that the x-Kira would have succeeded in killing all those who knew about the Notebook, then Light kills x-Kira, and it still ends with Ryuk killing Light, so that nobody would be left to know the truth. But the actual ending was okay too.

Diocletian
08-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I guess I expected more.Something like Misa writing his name so that Ryuk wouldn't.Out of "love" or something.Lke Of Mice And Men I guess.As for the manga,I would've liked an explanation as to the ending.I'd kill to figure it out.

ichigoangel06
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
i thought the ending was okay......although i would have liked that Light wouldc have suffer more before he died..and Misa somehow torture him for playing with her feelings or something>.<....and i think it would have been better if L was there too^^:p

kitarimoon
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll be perfectly honest on this matter. The ending pissed me off!!! I was confused about it for a while, but I came to this conclusion: If I had a deathnote, chances are, I would have wound up like Light. I think he shold have lived and continued what he was doing. He may have been perverse and he may not have purged the world of all the evil there was, but he still would have put an end to some of the chaos therein.

wordfarer
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't care much for Near. By the showdown scene I was hoping Light found a way to out wit Near, but Light had to have been tired and that must be the only reason he didn't pull it off.

Diocletian
09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
i thought the ending was okay......although i would have liked that Light wouldc have suffer more before he died..and Misa somehow torture him for playing with her feelings or something>.<....and i think it would have been better if L was there too^^:p

L was there.He was just replaced by Near by symbolism.

Lord Tsukuyomi
09-19-2008, 08:29 PM
The ending was decent, but it needed something else, like Light becoming a shinigami and dropping his notebook in the human world like Ryuk did, and let chaos rule over the world once again.

goddragon
09-19-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree

jtdlives
09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I really wanted light win and become the god kira, but they went with the generic ending where the good guy wins and the bad guy gets killed by his shicagami. I didn't like that ending. light should of ruled the world.:p

Tomoyo01
09-20-2008, 12:17 AM
The only good thing about it was that Light lost. I wanted L to win...

3pleT
09-20-2008, 09:06 AM
ending of the last name was much better... too bad the rest of it sucked.

I'm Ol' Gregg
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Ryuk had aways said that he would be the one writing Light's name in the Notebook so even from then it was obvious that is how Light's life would have ended.

But I really did not appriciate the way that Light went, quick frankly CRAZY at the end! I think it would have been better if it had actually been L that had defeated Light, becuase Near was only really a character that featured half-way through the series. He had not done most the the leg-work compared the the conclusions that L had made.

I suppose deep-down I did not want Light to die, but it was really the only way that the series would have ended. If Light was still alive and 'Kira' was still pursuing all of those killings through the notebook, then there still would have been an L, or an N or an M to try and hunt down and kill him.

Light would not keep on killing the way he did, he would either have to die or give up ownership of the notebook and have intention of using it again in my opinion.

But I do agree that the ending did leave a lot of questions unanswered. In one respect I like the way it kept me guessing as to the events that followed through after Light's demise, but I also would have appriciated a more comprehensive ending after such a long series. Oh well! On the whole, I really liked the series and it left me with a lot to think about!

WitchHunter
09-21-2008, 01:51 AM
The ending was terrible. Given most of the series, I had thought Death Note would break the stereotypical "killing is evil" and "good always wins" molds. But instead we get the predictable, non-controversial ending wherein the old guard wins again. And Light was completely out of character, panicking and getting himself shot. He was standing right next to the door, and while the odds of getting away were slim, it would still make more sense then trying to write a name right in front of everyone. Matsuda was disappointing too. All through the series he had pro-Kira leanings, but in the end he reverts right back to "Kira is evil because he kills people." Overall the ending makes it seem as if the creator just wanted to wrap it up as quickly as possible.

Yoko Littner
09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I hated the ending of Deathnote

Good series but bad ending.

law~
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
I love the ending!
Light was a villian in certain way, so he deserved what he got, in my opinion (don't hate me I love Light >.<)

Maybe if Light hasn't die he would become a mad man with all that power he had :p Beside, then the story wouldn't have an ending then, the story will continue and continue and continue untill Light's end (since he was the principal character, right?).

lovelicious
11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree with lawlietth. You see when he shouts at Ryuk to kill all the polices, including his own father, right? That, in my opinion, is a sign of madness. I mean, hello, would you kill your own father in order to estabilish peace in the world, saying that sacrifice is needed?
I don't say that he's a bad person, because I can understand his reason to continue killing the criminals.
My eyes were watered when L dies. T^T

All in all, it has a perfect ending.

Takeshiroichi
11-12-2008, 01:51 AM
I want to know where Light go when he died..
I really curious what's the meaning ryuk said if there're much surprise when people who owned Death Note die..

_-Midnight-_
11-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Death note was one of my most favoured anime's the ending had its merits although few people were impressed with it, i enjoyed it.

Ookie
11-12-2008, 03:45 AM
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at the way the story ended. it seemed.. too fast, like everything happened at once. The story, as WitchHunter said was going in the opposite direction from 'Good always prevails' which I had been tired of seeing in like, every other manga/anime. (At least the more popular ones). It was a bit closer to the reality of life, evil DOES prevail in this world.

Maybe if this had happened more slowly, and light had been kept in character (he seemed insane at the end) then maybe I might have liked it more. Because seriously, the logical Light I've seen throughout the story would not suddenly take out his deathnote in front of a bunch of detectives.

the cliffhanger was another thing that kept me guessing. What happens after a deathnote user dies? Where do they go? Maybe they explained this in the Manga, but I'm not fond of reading Manga too often, much rather watch the show.

[/ramble]

Takeshiroichi
11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
In manga they only say when someone die he will go to MU (nothingness) but they dont say it's just for someone who use Death Note or everyone will.

I think that's not the surprises ryuk say, is it?

for me, the end of this story left much question behind, make me curious and disappointed.

Robin Sena
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Do you think that the show should have ended like that? Should near have lost? What are your thoughts on it?

I think that should have had Light win. He was doing good by reducing the crime.
My sentiments exactlty. Sooner or later, L's fellow successors would've run out of money trying to seek out Kira and it takes money to solve crimes. As for those users that use Death Notes when they die, they can neither enter Heaven nor Hell, so I guess purgatory is one guess. The shimigami relm is another.

Crystal Rain
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Men the ending was wow.

ryku isaigana
12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm actually glad Near won. Light was bound to be caught soon in his act.

Sh0u
12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Eh the ending was kind of a let down to me. I mean it kept building up and building up and then bam Light's dead Near wins. I just wish that they'd done a little more with it. Over all it was pretty good though, I was bummed when Mello died before, wish he had been there to see the end. :-(

CrystalAce
12-03-2008, 11:05 PM
It's like an eye for an eye:ninja: . There are consequences to every deed you do and besides taking lives is a public as well as a religious crime so, Light's death was inevitable and as for L, it was like he sacrificed his life to stop Kira and Light which he did succeed. So the ending was perfect which is simply saying to gain something you must lose something too.

goddragon
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Do you think that light should have became a shigami? Also why do you think that they didn't say who was kira and why.

Tsuki.
12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Light's &quot;justice&quot; was just people being scared. They still have issues and as soon as he's gone there's nothing to scare them away. Although, if they get caught, they are much more likely to straighten out then just being too scared to do anything. Besides, who would want &quot;justice&quot; to be some person deciding your fate? And Near would have died if Kira won which just ain't cool.
and also, no. Light serves a higher purpose, but it doesn't mean it's better. The shinigami are non-feeling towards others and Light just kills anyone in his way. Besides, Humans can never be shinigami so the question is irrelevant.

magnataur00
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
It's like an eye for an eye:ninja: . There are consequences to every deed you do and besides taking lives is a public as well as a religious crime so, Light's death was inevitable and as for L, it was like he sacrificed his life to stop Kira and Light which he did succeed. So the ending was perfect which is simply saying to gain something you must lose something too.

I think Light should have won, although it had to be 3 vs 1 in order to win Light (L, M and N), if they do not join, they fall

nichunter1
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I was disgusted by the ending , when i saw the title : New World I was so happy! Light is just plain genious awsome! I would have loved that after the 40 seconds they would all die and after i saw light run away and they put this plane passing , i wished that plain came to rescue light :O ... I had no attachment how so ever to L N or even M , for me they were just people in the way that needed to be killed ... anyways once again i hate every anime endings ahhhh :'(

goddragon
12-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Also if you read the manga did you think it was good, and which of the two was better?

nichunter1
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
are the anime ending and manga ending different?!

Sh0u
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Kinda. It pretty much ends up at the same ending just by different means. Mikami somehow slits his neck open with his handcuffs and dies. Light escapes, runs to another werehouse and dies.

Edit: In the manga Mikami goes crazy in prison and dies and light pretty much begs for his life and then dies right on the spot.

VampireSlayerD
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Killing is killing and after kiras eventual death it wold of went back to normal anyway.

Tsuki.
12-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I think Light should have won, although it had to be 3 vs 1 in order to win Light (L, M and N), if they do not join, they fall

Teamwork is everything. Wait, that's not true, L would have won if Light hadn't cheated and used Rem to kill him. Light also was working with Misa and Takeda and them. If you say, "He was using them." Then, L was using Near and Mello. He had the whole thing of who would take his place, so he technecally used them to win against Light aka Kira. L still won in the end, and Kira lost. As L says, "Justice shall prevail." Light may have been on the right track, but he got lost upon the way turning his "justice", into evil.

To me, the manga was the same as the anime. Just, the anime was in color. I liked both equally.

nichunter1
12-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Well now i see all of you guys responses I would have to say my dream ending of this would have been = Kira kills them all at the end then manages to be god on earth and also manages to kill ryuk :P

What I would love is that they make 2 different endings so everybody is happy ^^ , one wher L wins and another one wher Light wins

Yugure's Goddess
12-18-2008, 12:08 AM
I thought that the ending to death note was extremely exciting and rather satisfying. And I must say that I have never been so impressed with the English dubs of an anime. Light's voice actor in the English version, especially, was magnificent. And it was never more apparent than on the last episode after he is found out, and he starts freaking out. I was trippin' out, man. I thought the ending was amazing and very fitting for the protagonist and the rest of the anime, for that matter.

Considering the rest of the anime, and if you logically consider the progression of events, Light dying was really the only way that the anime could have ended. I predicted that he was going to die shortly after he got the death note. Confirmed it at around the episode that Near and Mello show up. I mean, if Light winning was the whole point, the show would probably just have ended after he conquered L. But the creator insisted on making two new antagonists show up. If they were meant to just fail and die, that whole part of the story would have been a repeat of the confrontation with L, and, in essence, a total waste of time. Plus, they have to follow through with Ryuk's threat of killing Light, when the time came. It's called foreshadowing. You can't have blatant foreshadowing with no follow-through. It's just improper, immoral story-telling.

On a related topid, do you guys know about the Death Note extras at the halfway point on every episode they used to transition from and to commercials? Well, on the last episode, the first says "They [Death Note Users] can neither go to heaven nor hell." And the second says "They [Death Note users] go to Mu (nothingness)." This means that Light Yagami, our (anti?) hero, disappears into nothingness. Him AND his soul cease to exist, completely.

I think the true genius of the story kind of fell on the fact that, at the end, I was truly torn. A part of me thought that what Light was doing was really noble. (Come on, he knows that, in using the Death Note, he's condemned himself both in life and in death.) I also think that there are plenty of people that the world could do without. However, I also acknowledged the fact that he was totally freaking psycho at the end (actually long before that), and was completely overdoing his "judgment." Plus I don't really think any cocky, self-righteous, hypocritical, delusional nut-job has the right to say that other people aren't allowed to live just because they happen to be in jail or because they were "lazy." An accusation of laziness, by the way, is a ridiculous reason to kill some one.

Then there's also the argument that some of the people he was killing may not have been true criminals. Plenty of the criminals in jail now, even today with forensics as amazing as they are, probably aren't all responsible for committing the crimes they are accused of. But this is a whole other debate.

For the people who feel that Light should have won, you clearly missed the whole point of the anime. For one: It's not right to judge and kill people, especially when you don't have all the facts. And first and foremost, I think: Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corruption was blatantly obvious by the end of the series. Heck, it was blatantly obvious at the end of episode one!

In short, Light was awesome but he had a God-complex that needed to be dealt with. L was awesome but he died. N and M won, and I'm okay with all of it. It was amazing.

By the way, did anyone other than me think that score for the whole anime was absolutely amazing? Especially that scene where they're getting of the car, in the second to last episode, to meet Near, in person. It. Was. Awesome. And totally set up a mood of finality. I would have known the series was near, if not on, the last episode even if I didn't have the information before-hand.

love
dani
dude

RJ169
12-18-2008, 03:39 PM
i did not like the end because i want Light to live and Near to die. also they should have never killed off L

KuroBunny
12-29-2008, 07:10 AM
I like the ending. I never really agreed with Light. Yes, he helped by reducing crimes. But he killed many innocent people too like the FBI and indirectly, L. He also underestimated Near and Mello and looks just plain evil in the ending when he thought Near and the rest is going to die.

I hate it especially when he says he's the God. Sounds much like Pein from Naruto. (-_-")

Brandandy
01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought it was awesome. The fact that Ryuk killed him was the coolest thing ever!

Sanosuke X
01-02-2009, 06:27 PM

I thought it was a good ending...considering it went opposite of what I was expecting.

rEikAbLeU
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
well, i liked the ending, but it might have been better if it sticked with L and Kira fighting till the end...

IchIiGo
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
i think the end of deathnote is the perfect end i mean if light still alive i think he will kill more people

IchIiGo
01-03-2009, 09:28 AM
and L "ruyzaki" is the Best

Sagat
01-03-2009, 09:37 AM
What I would love is that they make 2 different endings so everybody is happy ^^ , one wher L wins and another one wher Light wins

Uh ... what?

IchIiGo
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM
I want to know where Light go when he died..
I really curious what's the meaning ryuk said if there're much surprise when people who owned Death Note die..
to the HELL .... LOL

geekguy
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM

He also killed convicts, police, FBI agents, his potential girlfriend and his own followers if they got in the way. When he lost the memory of the book, he worked hard to stop the Kira killings so without having the power in his hands, he realized that what "Kira" was doing was wrong.

This was not a well person.

geekguy
01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
to the HELL .... LOL

The creator has said that he doesn't believe in an afterlife. Dead is dead. Users of the Deathnote go to "nothinginess" (It would be ironic if THAT were the afterlife and they had to spend eternity in a void.)

kimi no kioku
01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I really thought the ending of Death Note was perfect, second only to Blood Plus.

Syphion
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
death note ending was inevitable. As much as i hated it >.>.... light would eventually lose and die.