PDA

View Full Version : Locale of Cowboy Bebop

Mavericker
08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
What country does the show take place in? The main characters have American names-are they American?

Memento Mori
08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Cowboy Bebop covers space, not a certain country.

By the way, Edward's name isn't really Edward. Her real name is Françoise, and she's assumed to be Turkish.

And there are many characters that speak in accents, and I've seen a few characters speak Spanish, albeit it was simple Spanish.

space cowboy
08-02-2008, 02:29 AM
The show is very cultural friendly and can pretty much be enjoyed anywhere around the world without having pauses for explanations as to what so and so means in various country.

Amray The II
08-02-2008, 07:02 AM
It is mainly set on the planet Mars, although they do take frequent journeys to Earth.

Spike Speigel's appearance was based on a famous, deseased Japanese man, therefore I would assume that he leans more towards the 'Japanese' side than the 'American' side.

There are many references to other coutries though, such as the Cowboy theme, the Jazz / Blues music, lots of Bruce Lee references, sometimes mafia, all the episodes are named after various world-wide popular songs, the ships each of the characters posseses are sometimes named after famous things. Such as Spike's "Swordfish II" is named after the British WWII plane that sank the Bismark ship. Famous war event, and the real Swordfish even makes an appearance in the movie.

Very country-friendly anime.

Funkgun
08-03-2008, 03:40 AM
true, very melting pot, I never really noticed till now.
Also there is planets that have repeats of countries/cities.
Tijauana for one.

DeeviousDemon
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
yea the show does not really even play on Earth..since its more a trash planet in tht show! so it be hard to say where they originate from.

Diocletian
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Actually the changing of names happens in animes alot,but in this case this is the manga-ka intended names.i.e.Joey=Jonuichi,Anzu=Tea

Robin Sena
08-04-2008, 11:34 PM
I wish I was living in the Bebop universe......

~Kaiya~
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I wish I was living in the Bebop universe......

That'd be awesome! I wonder if we'd run into the 3 old guys? o.o