PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen The Ghost in the Shell???

Tachikoma1000
07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I havent stumbled across any forums with respect to this show:

The Ghost in the Shell

(or maybe I am not good at searching)

If there are any, could someone direct me to it?

AND if anyone HAS seen this show and wants to discuss it,

PLEASE let me know immediately!!!!!

SEE discussion below

MomijiTMO
07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I think everyone has heard of GITS and most of us have seen SAC. I don't know of any dedicated forums but feel free to turn this thread into a general GITS discussion and fire away questions. [I'm not too sure if this is the right place though]

mississippibaby
07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah ive heard of it and seen it. i like it its one of my favorites.it makes me think a little. but i think momijiTMO is right i think everyone here at least has either heard it or seen it and i have thought about what you just asked because it is a good anime

Sanosuke X
07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
I've watched some episodes before.

Tachikoma1000
07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh, ...I had no idea...

Well, then...

What does anyone think about the main cause of the Tachikomas' (and other AI's) development of "ghosts"???

--Was it the natural oil?
--Was it the large amount of data that was collected??
--Or did they have "ghosts" all along, but they could not express their ghosts initially because they did not know how to?

To make this interesting, I will reference the third episode of the first GIG--"The Android and I"--(the one about the mass suicide of the outdated androids) --At the end of the show, a movie is quoted by the geri, or android (something like) "Am I crazy? I don't want to go with you. I don't want to be in love with you...[she takes down the ambassador's son] I am sorry...I truly did love you..."
After the geri dies, The Major and Batou are talking in a bar. Motoko hints that she thinks that the geri had a ghost. But Batou replied:
"Are you telling me that geri saved that boy? Geris are robots-they don't have ghosts." One cannot program a ghost into something, and one cannot expect something to BE there if it was not PUT there---an argument against androids and AI's not having ghosts

BUT, later, Togusa goes home and sees the ending of the movie that the geri had quoted. He only found:
"Am I crazy? No, I'm not-no, yes, I am. I don't want to be in love with you."
He asked his wife if there was any missing dialog, to which she replied that the film was an uncut version.
--Where did those extra words come from? Clearly, the android CANNOT have conjured those words on her own. -this proves that an AI can have a ghost---which leads back to my origional question--What caused the development of the ghost, and the individuality that came thereof.

Any thoughts??????

redhunter124
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Wich one you wanna talk about Sac? And that is the show that ot me started on anime so i owe it. The movie in my opoion was awsome.

3pleT
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
i think that everyone born before 1994 has heard of gits unless he's been living in a cardboard box.
and what does gits have to do with outer space?

Robin Sena
08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Only the SAC series, along with the SSS.

Dr. Hax
09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
What does anyone think about the main cause of the Tachikomas' (and other AI's) development of "ghosts"???

--Or did they have "ghosts" all along, but they could not express their ghosts initially because they did not know how to?

-Tachikomas normally use synthetic oil. If there were "ghosts" inside of the Tachikomas, this data they collected would make them much more intelligent and able to express themselves only as robots. The natural oil allows them to, in a sense, feel and express some emotion.

Either that or the natural oil was like crack to them xp

Ridana
09-18-2008, 11:25 PM

Any thoughts??????

GITS (the entirety) has always taken some interesting looks at some very deep concepts which are firmly grounded in reality and then extrapolated them into a fictitious future setting.

The original movie left one with a lot to think about "ghosts" and what we think of as ourselves. If you haven't seen the original movie, I suggest you stop reading my post now, right now, as in immediately cease and desist, journey to your nearest Blockbuster or true Otaku, and get a copy to watch before you continue reading, in other words...

SPOILER ALERT!

The arguable primary antagonist of the original was "The Puppetmaster", a complex AI designed to infiltrate, analyze, and control targeted systems. Kusanagi pursues this AI as she waxes philosophic about the very nature of our beings. If, as the fictitious setting allows and thusly allows us to contemplate, a body can be replaced by a cybernetic one and the brain is maintained, is it still the same person?
"Of course" I believe is the standard answer to this, "our 'personality' and therefore our 'individuality' exists in the brain."
And if you replace, say, half of that brain with circuitry... is it still a person with a "soul"?
Half over again? Again? Again? At what point would they lose their "soul"? OR ... Is an organic form even necessary to maintain what we (generally) would speak of as a soul/spirit/personality/ghost? Can it be maintained in an inorganic "shell"?
Inverse to the musings of Kusanagi, The Puppetmaster, being self-aware, and in possession of qualities that would be deemed necessary to consider itself a "person" poses the question of the artificial generation of "ghosts". That is to say, if a person can remain a person after losing all of their organic composition, is the organic composition necessary to begin with, or are "ghosts" truly and simply self-aware constructs of data masses and paradigm heirarchies regardless of their basis in chemical or electronic forms.

I only lengthily mention all of this because I believe that the Tachikoma sub-plot is a SAC reference to the original movie. Their programming was clearly stated to include data collection, analysis, incorporation, and synchronization. They were meant to learn, and share their knowledge with eachother. Their eventual progression to beings with individual personality qualities an interest in self-preservation (which is what alerted Kusanagi to their "malfunction") was a product of their learning (enhanced by the synchonization because it allowed them to learn at a much more rapid pace as they formed an effectively greater neural network) not of the "natural oil", which as I recall Batou only supplied to a single Tachikoma. Now arguably, if the oil had an effect on the single Tachikoma, the effect could be shared via synchronization, but I would find this to be outside of the general demeanor of the series, at least as a root cause. "Magic Oil" seems to me to be out of character for a series that seriously considers deep questions about our existence.

Yoko Littner
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, I have heard of The Ghost In The Shell and I have also seen it^-^

Its good

LadyAmy
10-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Oh yeah, i've heard and seen Ghost in the shell, but i agree i've never seen any forum talk about it.
Maybe it's just to god to talk about it xD

Bui i like it, it's cool

Moko Chan
10-04-2008, 06:27 AM
I think its cool. I must watch the series since i have only seen the movies at the moment.

MomijiTMO
10-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah, i've heard and seen Ghost in the shell, but i agree i've never seen any forum talk about it.
Maybe it's just to god to talk about it xD

Bui i like it, it's cool
I was like . .. . "You don't remember. .. " but I saw your join date and that explains everything :D

Does everybody recommend the 3rd movie because I haven't seen it yet [well I sort of have but cannot remember anything].

AbsoluteAnimeFan
11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I havent stumbled across any forums with respect to this show:

The Ghost in the Shell

(or maybe I am not good at searching)

If there are any, could someone direct me to it?

AND if anyone HAS seen this show and wants to discuss it,

PLEASE let me know immediately!!!!!

SEE discussion below

Yep, i have heard of it and seen it too..its pretty cool.. :)

Nimbus Blou
11-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes, I have seen Ghost in the Shell and SACC, but I haven't seen the entire series, so I can't really join in any deep discussion till I finish watching the first season and the 2nd GIG. But I can say that Ghost in the Shell is in my top five favorite anime series.

shufei0718896
11-13-2008, 07:51 AM
luosha32 (http://luosha32.blog.com/)miaozhen47 (http://miaozhen47.blog.com/)zhonggu64 (http://zhonggu64.blog.com/)xingchang68 (http://xingchang68.blog.com/)kuman37 (http://kuman37.blog.com/)

Alycursed
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
At times it's confusing. Well, maybe for me because I don't know big words and I'm not so smart.
But I LOVE the openings. The songs and the animation. :]

Yue Ookami
11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Sadly, no. I have not. It looks really good though. I saw a few previews for it, and it looked really good. I want to see it.

sunnyside
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
On the tachis.

First of all it wasn't so much that the oil was "magic" it was that it reacted with their chips. And not in some magic way that added something. The stuff corroded the neurochips. This was somewhere in the first season.

Anway whatever the result of that was it apperantly spread through the tachicomas through sychronization.

The next issue is if they actually had "ghosts". It was never clearly established that A.I.s had ghosts. They play around with the idea and speculate but there isn't anything difinitive.

The android did say it loved the kid. On the other hand so does the robotic Elmo you see in the stores and I don't think it has a ghost. :p

They also never firmly established what exactly a ghost was anyway. Except that apperantly it's quite "real" and you can "tell" if you muck around enough.

An argument against Tachi "ghosts" would be the copy paste nature of them. When they get wiped out in SAC 1 they get restored from backup data for SAC 2. And I think something like that was suppsed to have happened in SSS.

However they seem to repeatedly indicate that you can't copy paste a ghost. Otherwise you'd think they'd bring an extra Major or two online. Also during the body swapping episode where an assasin tried to kill the major they made it seem like a ghost is transfered and not left behind, whatever it is.

jtdlives
11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I loved the movie. It is one of my all time fav. anime movies, but I didn't like the series. I just found it boring.

sunnyside
11-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I loved the movie. It is one of my all time fav. anime movies, but I didn't like the series. I just found it boring.

How old are you? I think you really have to be a bit older for SAC.

SigmaSD
11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I've only seen the Solid State Society movie, and I liked it. I want to watch the series, but I don't have time. I bet it's really good.

Rein*
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Both the movies were good and series is just as exciting. It does develop quite a bit into somewhat of a search to discover who is really doing what but i guess that's the forte of the anime in itself. Its definitely worth watching.

The Ultimate One K Dash
11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
honestly i think EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF THIS SHOW !!! >>. It only comes on adult swim every saturday.

Liquidus Zeromus
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes, awesome show. I've almost finished the first series. ^_^

I like the plot and consistent story, and the characters are great, especially Major Kusanagi, Batou, and Chief Aramaki.

RayCaptain
01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
The show is second only to .Hack//SIGN (in my opinion) and I watch it any chance I get.

CrystalAce
01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, I've seen almost every movie and series of this anime. And my fav one got to be Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG, the case of Individual Eleven. There are a lot of mystery, plot as well as lot of action in the second series. Even the graphics is quite good.

To put it bluntly , it is my No.1 fav anime.

vixen_wolf
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah iv watched the show and seen the movie about a billion times O-o its a good show if yuor into that kinda thing i guess