PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII Confirmed for Xbox 360

Kojack
07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
What a slap in the face: Square-Enix just announced at E3 that Final Fantasy XIII will be on the Xbox360 (but not exclusively).

I really don't know what else to say. What do you guys think of this?

Edit, here's some proof in case you don't believe:
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/P7140997.JPG

StabWound
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I just hope 360's restrictions don't hold it back.

Dogmat
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I can't believe this! As a loyal Playstation and Final Fantasy fan, this is a major stab in the back! This game was suppose to work the full power of the PS3, and unless it's multiple discs on the 360 then it'll need to be compressed to under 8 gigs. And I was expecting FF13 to completely fill up a blu-ray disc like MGS4. :( :banghead:

Chocobo
07-14-2008, 04:25 PM
That...really doesn't surprise me. When I found out that they had released FFXI for the 360 I just thought "Yep. It's no longer going to be for Nintendo and Sony."

Eventually, I don't think there will be any Sony [platform] exclusive games because there will be complainers from Microsoft [platform users]. Anyway, that's my opinion.

survivor
07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Everyday I'm starting to wonder more why did I waste my money on a PS3 >_>

Oh well. At least XIII Versus is still exclusive. And Sony tomorrow in their press conference better have something good or else they are screwed.

Amray The II
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Being an Xbox 360 barer I am still quite ashamed, but at the same time I am in no way suprised. Most games these days are being released for the 360 because, firstly their are more households out there that possess the system mainly because it is cheaper. Secondly, there are many RPG's currently being realeased on the 360 even though they used to be Playstation exclusive, such as the new Star Ocean game that is to be only for the 360. Lost Odyssey too which was made by the creator of Final Fantasy and was never even introduced to the PS3. Even now apparently their is a rumour that Eternal Sonata will never see a PS3 release.

I'm not usually the one to complain about this kind of thing anymore because I am not as much of a hardcore gamer as I once was, but it is still a shock to the system.

bakakame
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Now I get to make fun of people across 2 platforms for playing it, yesterday was a good day.:p

And really now? Restrictions? What could possibly restrict a JRPG? Disc swapping? "Oh noes, that would be too much like when we played earlier FF games." The consoles specs are practically identical, both versions of the game will be in 1080p. The difference is going to be that the PS3 version will be on one BD, while the 360 version will reqire probably 2-4 DVD's. That's it.

Kojack
07-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Now I get to make fun of people across 2 platforms for playing it, yesterday was a good day.:p

And really now? Restrictions? What could possibly restrict a JRPG? Disc swapping? "Oh noes, that would be too much like when we played earlier FF games." The consoles specs are practically identical, both versions of the game will be in 1080p. The difference is going to be that the PS3 version will be on one BD, while the 360 version will reqire probably 2-4 DVD's. That's it.

The PS3's main difference, other than Blu-ray, comes from its Cell processor. Crystal Tools has been noted to only use 4 of Cell's 6 processing elements, so if the Xbox 360 and PS3 version run exactly the same, we will know the PS3 can go a bit further (Sony also prepares their consoles for a 10 year life-cycle, so they created their hardware with that in mind). Since Square-Enix is aiming to "achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime", I suppose the PS3 version will be a little more shiny. But Wikipedia's articles on the hardware for both consoles don't give any straight answers, so it's hard to tell as far as graphics and similar.

I don't know how recent this multi-platform decision was, but if it was only recent they will be porting it. However, Crystal Tools was developed with all 3 consoles in mind so there shouldn't be much trouble.

bakakame
07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
That's the thing though, because the 360's Xenon processor has "3 independant cores, with 2 symmetric hardware threads per core, making a total of 6 hardware threads available to games"

So the question I can't seem to find an answer for is, what's the difference between a Cell's SPC and a Xenon's "hardware thread"? I'm no computer guru, but it sounds to me like they do the same thing.

Kojack
07-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I can't seem to find any direct hardware comparisons on the Internet, and Wikipedia is no help at all. The Xenon article is nice and clear, telling me it does this, this and this. But Cell's is cluttered with its other applications. I guess there must be something going for it if non-gaming industries are looking at it, but like I said there's no straight answer.

Final Fantasy XIII is Crystal Tools' first game, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Gjallarhorn
07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
It will only be available on the 360 in the U.S., from what I've read, because the 360 outsold the PS3 here by a wide margin here.

StabWound
07-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Europe and Australia as well. Japan is only getting the PS3 version, but they're getting it far before us, according to Square-Enix 360 development doesn't even start until it's finished and released in Japan.

survivor
07-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Is there a point of releasing FFXIII for the 360 in Japan? I'm pretty sure that 20K units won't matter that much to Square Enix.

sataned
07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
yes they said The 360 will have FFXIII exclusive for U.S and Europe
and Ps3 gets it exclusive in Japan. FOR SHAME SQuare enix!!!

survivor
07-15-2008, 09:46 PM
So the game isn't coming to NA for the PS3? How the hell am I suppose to play the game now?

Stupid Square Enix.

Kojack
07-15-2008, 09:55 PM

No, it's multi-platform in the West.

sataned
07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
No, it's multi-platform in the West.

if you say so... cuz you know the many of us saying it here that Saw the Spotlight/press confrences are wrong... right...

sataned
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Being an Xbox 360 barer I am still quite ashamed, but at the same time I am in no way suprised. Most games these days are being released for the 360 because, firstly their are more households out there that possess the system mainly because it is cheaper. Secondly, there are many RPG's currently being realeased on the 360 even though they used to be Playstation exclusive, such as the new Star Ocean game that is to be only for the 360. Lost Odyssey too which was made by the creator of Final Fantasy and was never even introduced to the PS3. Even now apparently their is a rumour that Eternal Sonata will never see a PS3 release.

I'm not usually the one to complain about this kind of thing anymore because I am not as much of a hardcore gamer as I once was, but it is still a shock to the system.

no no.... sales have nothing to do with why this games coming to xbox 360. Microsoft simply is paying lots of money to get alot of exclusives and games from third party companys like Square-Enix that would usually stick to one console...

Kojack
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
if you say so... cuz you know the many of us saying it here that Saw the Spotlight/press confrences are wrong... right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZiOS5DMMc

You misheard. The word 'exclusive' is not even used.

And anyway, it wouldn't make sense to not release a PS3 version since that is the platform the game will initially be on. Microsoft didn't pay them that much.

sataned
07-16-2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WZiOS5DMMc

You misheard. The word 'exclusive' is not even used.

And anyway, it wouldn't make sense to not release a PS3 version since that is the platform the game will initially be on. Microsoft didn't pay them that much.

ok that video is fkn pointless and
yes there is going to be a release of the ps3 version!! on the same date as the xbox360 one... i fail!

what was said was that the japs get it first On ps3 then the U.S and Europe get it on PS3 and Xbox360
So relax u Playstation FF fans ;D

randomuser83
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Yea but that still does suck. I hope they did this with the intention of having a wider audience play there game because if its just for money then yea for shame.

bakakame
07-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Yes! For shame!!! I mean the audacity of it all! How dare a company take steps to maximize their revenue! Don't they know that the whole point of corporations is to be the customer's w****, not make money!

Gero50
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I think that is pretty cool cuz I don't have a PS3 or Wii and I have always liked the Xbox 360 more anyway
it is funner and more mods are out for it then any other conceal right now

Ryth
07-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm not surprised at this at all, I don't think FFXIII is going to be good at all (but in my mind there hasn't been a good FF since FFIX, a throwback to the IV-VI days, so whatever). However, I couldn't help but find the way Square presented this game hilarious. After giving their lackluster presentation (I wanted to hear more about The Last Remnant!) they come back on stagen ot even five minutes later when someone else started speaking, he came back out and was like "Oh, btw we're releasing FFXIII for the 360, here's a video. Bai."

I lawled my balls off. I can see myself playing FFXIII though now that its on a console I already own, I won't rush out to get it, but I still have a desperate hope for this series.

On a Square-related note: I'm also hoping Star Ocean 4 is nothing like that terrible SO3.

kingalfi
07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Square was sorta lacking in the money department, and microsofts greatest weapon seems to be huge heaps of cash. Guess Square couldn't refuse.

Too bad for Sony, I bet a lot of FF fans isn't going to buy the ps3 after this, but there's still Kingdom Hearts =D

Robin Sena
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
No, it's multi-platform in the West.Well, to quote the Americans, yippy ky ay. So Square Enix may be jumping ship.

AmySorel™
07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
No offense to FF fans, or to anyone who has to do with FF, but... I think the series is going a little over.

O.o;

I do like Final Fantasy though.

MomijiTMO
07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
There are pretty good rumors that FF13 is coming to a pc near you :)

Nineteenth
07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm honestly amazed that people care this much about what games are on what system. Star Ocean 5, the 360 can have it.

Pretty much all the dedicated fans left it after THAT horrible, horribly planned ending. Then "HEY WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A PREQUEL ON THE 360 LOL" Worst planning. Ever.

XIII, it's a Final Fantasy, who cares what system it's going to be on?

Ashinrio
07-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Well i think that the hardrive of the XBOX 360 ELITE is far better, shure the overheating is common, but only if you are careless. I am personally excited, I wouldn't care if it had 8 disks, dvd's are far faster than the laggy blue-ray, the PS3 accualy had to download game data onto the system to make games load quiker, hahaahah FAIL.

On the other hand the graphics cards are virtually identical.