PDA

View Full Version : Rockband Lawsuit.

Nineteenth
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan

Personally. I'm really suprised this did not happen sooner, more like right after the first 5 days.

But when you look at it, this really stems from that company who sued Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft for "Stealing" ( even though all three developed vibrating controllers on their own) the Vibrating Function in videogame controllers.

How does this make you guys and girls feel?

Sanosuke23
07-11-2008, 08:38 PM
So, where's Nintendo for making Donkey Konga?

I assume that's the proprietary tech, since I've never seen a controller similar to the GH/RB style guitars and LOL MICROFONZ IZ KONAMI ORIGINAL CHARACTER PLZ DON'T STEAL

sataned
07-12-2008, 04:57 AM
psh... i could care less...ABOUT THE LAWSUIT!
i honestly think rock band and guitar hero suck...
actually no.. rock band is pretty fun when playing with friends but still it sucks...
start some real rockbands!fools! not damned video game rockbands!
and become a real guitar hero! not a damned video game guitar hero

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
psh... i could care less...
i honestly think rock band and guitar hero suck...
actually no.. rock band is pretty fun when playing with friends but still it sucks...
start some real rockbands!fools! not damned video game rockbands!
and become a real guitar hero! not a damned video game guitar hero
Argument fails. People play video games to do things they can't do, like murder people, drive sports cars through cites at breakneck speed, and wield +3 Broadswords. I don't have enough skill to form a rock band, but I can enjoy playing Rock Band.

Also, if you don't care quit spamming this topic.

Anyway, it should be an interesting legal case, because while Konami is claiming that Rock Band is infringing on it's Bemani copyrights. But Harmonix has relevant copyrights too. I'm rooting for Harmonix, because the Bemani series is full of fail.

sataned
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
ummm yeah... one post stating my opinion on the matter isnt spam fool...
see now this post is spam...

Broly3k8
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Ehhh never played rock band but im rooting for them on this one, though Konami might have a case.

Diocletian
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Argument fails. People play video games to do things they can't do, like murder people, drive sports cars through cites at breakneck speed, and wield +3 Broadswords. I don't have enough skill to form a rock band, but I can enjoy playing Rock Band.

Also, if you don't care quit spamming this topic.

Anyway, it should be an interesting legal case, because while Konami is claiming that Rock Band is infringing on it's Bemani copyrights. But Harmonix has relevant copyrights too. I'm rooting for Harmonix, because the Bemani series is full of fail.

Have you seen the commercial?The realest drums ever?The fact that people think they can play guitar/drums/vocals because a game gave them 100% makes the whole game FAIL!Rock Band is fun with friends but if you really think that makes you a rock star fine just over-do the cocaine.

Sanosuke23
07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Have you seen the commercial?The realest drums ever?The fact that people think they can play guitar/drums/vocals because a game gave them 100% makes the whole game FAIL!

The fact that you admit the game is fun just makes this post that much more priceless.

If people think they can play guitar or drums or sing after getting 100% that's the fault of the person. The game is not responsible for idiots.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-12-2008, 11:50 PM
ummm yeah... one post stating my opinion on the matter isnt spam fool...
see now this post is spam...
Off Topic=Spam. The Topic is not "Rock Band" but the Konami vs Harmonix Lawsuit. As should be obvious from this topic's title which is, quote "Rockband Lawsuit.".

Have you seen the commercial?The realest drums ever?The fact that people think they can play guitar/drums/vocals because a game gave them 100% makes the whole game FAIL!Rock Band is fun with friends but if you really think that makes you a rock star fine just over-do the cocaine.

To be fair, the drums in RB are little different from a real electronic drum set (in fact, there's a program that will let you use it as one), and if you can sing in RB on Extreme you CAN sing in real life. Or at least you have a great sense of pitch, which is half the battle in any genre but punk and metal. It's only the guitars that have nothing to do with the skill required to actually perform that function, although I hear they are decent training for some aspects of the art.

And like Sanosuke said, the plebes who play it have nothing to do with it's worth.

zomgpwned
07-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Screw Konami! Rock Band has a better name and produced it first :P

ZOMG THEY BOTH HAVE MICROPHONES!!

Rock Revolution...LAME.

wolfgirl90
07-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Okay, so let me get this straight.....;)

Konami is going to sue Harmonix because they believe that Harmonix infringed on their patents for a "musical-rhythm matching game". This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!!! What exactly has Harmonix done now that would be infringing on those patents that Konami has that would be different from what they have already done?

Konami is going to sue Harmonix because of patent infringement after they released Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II, Guitar Hero Encore and the first Rock Band?! If the patent was made in 2002 and 2003, why didn't Konami sue Harmonix back in 2005 when the first Guitar Hero game came out? Or last year when the first Rock Band came out? Why wait until now, considering that Konami has been making rhythm games for years?

I mean, this couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that Konami is planning to release their game, Rock Revolution (which they are only publishing, not developing), around the same time that Harmonix is planning to release Rock Band 2:eek:? Konami would never do something so petty as try to get rid of one their competitors in the most outrageous fashion, would they:eek:? *runs to another room and nearly falls out from laughing*

By the way, if this is about patent infringement (and not trying to get rid of a big competitor ), why isn't Konami also suing RedOctane (or Activision) and Neversoft for their upcoming game Guitar Hero World Tour;)? The peripherals for that game are almost the same as Rock Band's (a guitar, a drum kit and a microphone, but with slightly different buttons) .
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/Instruments.jpg

randomuser83
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
This is pretty intersting because its somewhat true. They had this technology out a long time ago but never applied it to consoles. I wonder if this will be enough to win the suit.

Bulf
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
They better not win. GH and RB are way better than DDR even though its fun too. If they win there probably wont be anymore Rockband games D:. And Rock Revolution is a terrible name, not to mention you'll probably have to step on the drums to play them, lol.

Light Buster
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Okay, so let me get this straight.....;)

Konami is going to sue Harmonix because they believe that Harmonix infringed on their patents for a "musical-rhythm matching game". This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!!!
It is...it's pointless...so this is why Konami should shut their mouths. Besides Konami is a Japanese company while Harmonix is an American company.

unforgivenhope
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Okay so what are those patents for? Cuz if they are for the vocals...what about singstar? If it for just matching..what about guitar hero? donkey konga and all those other no konami music games.

wolfgirl90
07-24-2008, 12:19 AM
The patents are for a "musical-rhythm matching game" with the use of a guitar and drum peripherals (I have not seen anything in the patents that mention a microphone). Donkey Konga does not fall into this category because you are using bongos to match the rhythm of the music and not drums.

While RockBand does appear to infringe the patents that Konami had, why didn't Konami try to sue Harmonix when the first RockBand came out? Why did they wait an ENTIRE year to try and sue them when Harmonix is about to release RockBand 2? I mean, they could not have possibly not known that RockBand was already out and "infringing" on their patents.

I still believe that Konami feels that RockBand 2 is a threat to their own game, Rock Revolution, and they want to get rid of competition (or cash in on it). Of course, even if they win this lawsuit, they still have to compete with RedOctane's Guitar Hero World Tour.

Light Buster
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
My question is why didn't Konami react sooner? It just didn't make any sence if they didn't react to Guitar Hero.

wolfgirl90
07-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, Konami did not react to Guitar Hero because Guitar Hero does not infringe on their patents. Konami's patents are for a musical rhythm game that has a guitar AND drums.

Otosu
07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm not completely certain as to why Rockband is being sued. Aren't most ideas nowadays basically rips from others? Note that I say most, not all.

Either way, I'm voting for Konami. Dance Dance Revolution is one of my al-time favorite games, therefore I am indebted to the company that made it.

Nineteenth
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Well, Konami did not react to Guitar Hero because Guitar Hero does not infringe on their patents. Konami's patents are for a musical rhythm game that has a guitar AND drums.

Konami roughly 10 years ago flooded the market with several different musical games that involved plastic instruments and set ups.

1 was a motion detection kit.
2 was a keyboard/turn table
3 was a drumset
4 was a guitar
5 was a microphone/ microphone headset
6 was a plastic mat with buttons

Combine them all together and you get 11th through 15th Mix of the respective games. ( Konami's personal Musical Voltron. You could mix and match them if the numbers were correct to expand the games)

Sadly, these games never exactly took off well in America and when they did it was only for a short period of time.

Along comes Guitar Hero which infringed on Guitar Freaks but nobody really cared at the time. That is, until Rock Band came along which is pretty much copied directly off the Musical Voltron. Konami finds out and before long.. Lawsuits start flying.

It's been behind closed doors as of late, but I'll keep people informed.