PDA

View Full Version : Edward Boy or Girl?

Masterjoe42
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Now I know it all depends. If you are reading the manga, Ed is actually a boy.
However in the Anime, Ed is a girl.
In your own personal opinion, what do you think Ed was truly meant to be?
Mr. Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV?
or
Ms. Edward Wong?

Personally, I feel she was originally intended to be a girl. She states so herself in the Movie. So why would they twist it up in the Manga, hmm?

FireChibi
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Manga is always the true one so its boy

Masterjoe42
07-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Why do you think Manga is always True?
In Wolf's Rain, FLCL, and various other manga, It's much different from the Anime. Most often, the Anime came first. Wouldn't that mean it would be the true one?
But even if you are right, then why is she a girl in the Show?

gunslingergirl_
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I always thought it was a boy with the voice of a girl. X____x but I say edward is a guy.

Masterjoe42
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I always thought it was a boy with the voice of a girl. X____x but I say edward is a guy.
=P Kind of like the whole "Haku" deal in Naruto?
I'm still convinced Ed's a girl. =/

Amray The II
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Hmmm. It is hard. I used to think "boy" but further into the series I thought that Ed started leaning more towards the "Female" side, with her flexible body and girly voice. Plus I like to think Ed is a girl as their are already three males (including Ein) aboard the bebop. That is probably why they made Ed a girl in the Anime, so that their was an extra female main character on the ship and series.

space cowboy
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM

fail, the manga also fails

eds a girl

Masterjoe42
07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
fail, the manga also fails

eds a girl
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Memento Mori
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM

No, the manga is not always true. Edward was designed to be a girl, and I know this for a fact.

Sure, the ORIGINAL design was to be a boy, but the creators stopped, and thought about how that would affect the boy/girl ratio, and they made her into a girl.

I believe Edward was meant to be female.

Also, from what I've read, the manga came after the anime. If this isn't true, please correct me, but I never did pay attention to the manga, considering many people did not like it. =|

[Which, if it came after, Edward should be a girl]

devil.inc
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
um...why did they change Edward's gender? :S ....Confused...
well, i never saw the anime or read the manga, so i dunno much...

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-12-2008, 10:59 AM
In this series the anime is canon, the manga is not so Ed is female.

Masterjoe42
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
In this series the anime is canon, the manga is not so Ed is female.
This proves my point. I think you said this better than I did. =/

Robin Sena
07-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I say Edward is a girl; in Brain Scratch, she had on a dress.

Masterjoe42
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I say Edward is a girl; in Brain Scratch, she had on a dress.
I agree with you, but for the hell of it, Tim curry did wear leather pumps and fishnets, and just look at Bou from An Cafe. =P

But Ed's not a crossdresser.
She wears what she finds fits best. ^-^

Robin Sena
07-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with you, but for the hell of it, Tim curry did wear leather pumps and fishnets, and just look at Bou from An Cafe. =P

But Ed's not a crossdresser.
She wears what she finds fits best. ^-^Sounds confusing. So we may never know the real gender.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Sounds confusing. So we may never know the real gender.
Ed has girl parts according to Faye's surprised exclamation from the bathroom in one of the episodes. I assume she knows girl parts when she sees them, so I conceder her to be a reliable witness on this matter. [/thread]

Masterjoe42
07-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Or she could be a very feminine male. xD And Faye's "been around" so she'd know them if she saw them. =P
just kidding.

Ed's a girl.

mostwanted
07-26-2008, 09:48 AM
After watching anime I was sure that Ed is a girl. She changed gender in manga? ^^ that sounds confusing xd.
Good to know that anime was first in this series.

nosfarartu
07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
wikipedia does not lie so Ed = girl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cowboy_Bebop_characters#Edward_Wong_Hau_Pe pelu_Tivrusky_IV

Chocobo
07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
No, the manga is not always true. Edward was designed to be a girl, and I know this for a fact.

Sure, the ORIGINAL design was to be a boy, but the creators stopped, and thought about how that would affect the boy/girl ratio, and they made her into a girl.

I believe Edward was meant to be female.

Also, from what I've read, the manga came after the anime. If this isn't true, please correct me, but I never did pay attention to the manga, considering many people did not like it. =|

[Which, if it came after, Edward should be a girl]

Just as Memento said. Originally, Ed was a guy. But when the carried it to the anime, they didn't like having an unbalanced gender system [like most Final Fantasy parties. x.x usually more guys than girls] So they changed Ed's acting position to female. However, they neglected to change the name, but they decided to keep it.

AmySorel™
07-26-2008, 10:49 AM
The world may never know.

XD

Otosu
07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I also trust Wiki to tell the truth.

Edward is a laddie.

Sakurablue
07-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Yeah, in the manga Ed says he's a boy.
In the anime it says she's a girl.
So which are they?

((It's so hard type that, trying to figure how to type it))

Amray The II
07-27-2008, 08:28 AM
"Ed isn't a little boy, Ed is a little girl!" - Ed in Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

If Ed said it herself then it must be true. She may have lived on her own for a long time but I am sure that she can define the difference between male and female.

Robin Sena
07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
First there was a boy named Sue--now, there's a girl named Ed.

Chocobo
07-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Well...if we can never find the answer whether Ed is Male or Female....we can always assume Hermaphrodite.

drm0ney
07-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I say stick to what the anime said. Ed's a girl.

DeeviousDemon
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
The Manga was always the first exsisting thing in a series so i'd say..if its a bot in the manga...than it should have been a boy in the anime!

Memento Mori
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
The Manga was always the first exsisting thing in a series so i'd say..if its a bot in the manga...than it should have been a boy in the anime!

No, no, no, no failed logic. The anime came first. Not the manga, the anime. And by the way, the manga for Cowboy Bebop sucked.

wolfgirl90
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Edward is a girl. The Cowboy Bebop manga is based off of the anime, not the other way around. So you cannot say that "the manga's always right" (using this logic is a bad idea anyway:rolleyes:).

Edward is based off of Yoko Kanno, the woman who does the music for Cowboy Bebop (plus Wolf's Rain and Ghost in the Shell). Edward was originally going to be a boy. But the gender was changed to even the gender ratio. I guessing that the creators kept the name to make her even more weird. She already made up a really long name for her self, so I guess its not too weird that she also gave herself a male name.

Ironically, Edward's real name, Françoise, is a girl's name.

Robin Sena
08-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I say stick to what the anime said. Ed's a girl.My sentiments exactly!! :D

Masterjoe42
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Edward is a girl. The Cowboy Bebop manga is based off of the anime, not the other way around. So you cannot say that "the manga's always right" (using this logic is a bad idea anyway:rolleyes:).

Edward is based off of Yoko Kanno, the woman who does the music for Cowboy Bebop (plus Wolf's Rain and Ghost in the Shell). Edward was originally going to be a boy. But the gender was changed to even the gender ratio. I guessing that the creators kept the name to make her even more weird. She already made up a really long name for her self, so I guess its not too weird that she also gave herself a male name.

Ironically, Edward's real name, Françoise, is a girl's name.
...edward wong hau pepelu tivrusky IV??

Robin Sena
08-06-2008, 02:02 PM
...edward wong hau pepelu tivrusky IV??
It's a stage name; "Ed made it up."

Cacodemon
08-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I think Ed is a girl, but the real issue I have with her is that she's so weird and annoying!

Robin Sena
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I think Ed is a girl, but the real issue I have with her is that she's so weird and annoying!
You'd be daft, weird and annoying too if your name didn't fit your gender.

~Kaiya~
08-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Ed is a boy in the manga...? wow... i read the manga, too.... must have overlooked that... *feels kind of stupid* In any case.... i feel Ed is a girl. She just gives off that kind of cute vibe. But now that i think about it... What would Ed be like/does she have periods? o.O Sorry guys, random things like that follow me around. >.> <.< It's the voices...

Orcius
08-24-2008, 11:36 AM
its really hard 2 tell i dont think the creaters of the show wanted us 2 now.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
its really hard 2 tell i dont think the creaters of the show wanted us 2 now.
If they didn't want us to know, they probably wouldn't have explicitly stated it, but thanks for reading the thread and all of the 15 times this has been mentioned.

Amray The II
08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
But now that i think about it... What would Ed be like/does she have periods? o.O Sorry guys, random things like that follow me around. >.> <.< It's the voices...

If Ed is in fact a girl then I would naturally assume so. Although she appears to be too young for that stage of a females life yet.

You might have very well ended up the same way if you grew up all by yourself. Raised, fed, and named by your own person. Does not know right from wrong, or strange from normal. It would most likely happen to most people whom have grown up in those circumstances, with nothing but a laptop too.

Liquidus Zeromus
08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Androgynous female, it seems. Very tomboyish, but it's not that hard to tell that she is a girl, or something.
Might've had a sex change? :wacko:

Diocletian
08-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Keep in mind this is a made in Japan,the land of amibiguity.The land where Okita of the Shinsengumi looked like a very beautiful woman,but is really a guy.

dragoninja
10-22-2008, 01:50 AM
ed is a boys name so i understand the confusion but ed is most certinly a GIRL ...without a doubt a tomboy but still a girl

Rein*
11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I think ed's a girl too , all the confusion set a side her usual behaviour and her fascination with faye and wat she does grooming wise would say that she's a girl curious about what she might become but still oblivious to th eworld at large because at her stage she stil feels completely at home in an undiscovered state of mind and playing on the computer.

lady_jesika
11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
personally, i think a girl fits Eds character. so much more interesting/makes more since to see a girl with Eds...ermm....lets call it a free spirit ^^

Variados
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I think Ed is a girl, but the real issue I have with her is that she's so weird and annoying! I think she makes the anime to come to live.. she is the comedy relief.. SHE IS AWESOME.. she is not annoying.. and she is not weird.. she is actual normal for a girl of her age.. and being a genius on computer.. She is just not average.. that is all... but she is not annoying.. weird perhaps for those that do not see her story.

You'd be daft, weird and annoying too if your name didn't fit your gender. HAHAH.. good one.

If Ed is in fact a girl then I would naturally assume so. Although she appears to be too young for that stage of a females life yet.

You might have very well ended up the same way if you grew up all by yourself. Raised, fed, and named by your own person. Does not know right from wrong, or strange from normal. It would most likely happen to most people whom have grown up in those circumstances, with nothing but a laptop too. Probably worse.. O_O imagine..

Keep in mind this is a made in Japan,the land of amibiguity.The land where Okita of the Shinsengumi looked like a very beautiful woman,but is really a guy. Hahaha.. I know right.. where the stories leave things for the mind to fly and imagine.. that is the awesomeness of some stories..

personally, i think a girl fits Eds character. so much more interesting/makes more since to see a girl with Eds...ermm....lets call it a free spirit ^^ She is...

EDWARD RADICAL IS A GIRL.. just because she is..

Starshine
12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I think Ed is meant to be androgynous - the way only kids can be.

When I first started watching Bebop (having missed Faye's exclamation in the episode where they met, "Hey, you're a girl!"... still wonder what made her say that. 0_o) I really thought Ed was a boy. Actually, the first episode where I paid attention was the chess master one, and that part where Ed gets electrocuted or something, then boings back up and goes back to business. I thought that Ed was a robot then. xD But when I was assured he/she was human, I thought it was a boy.

I kinda think Ed is neither and both. She kinda reminds me of me as a kid. Pure energy - no need to distinguish male or female.

Mango
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Ed is most definitely a girl. <3

In this case the anime came first, the manga was just a spin-off.

Brandandy
01-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I thought Ed was a girl....

Ollie
01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
This discussion is ridiculous.

In the anime, Ed is a girl. It is STATED that she is a GIRL. In the manga, which came AFTER the anime, she is made a boy. There is no need to argue over it, because although her gender is different in the anime and manga adaptions, it is obvious which one it is in each.

Ergo, locked!