PDA

View Full Version : Death Note American Live Action Remake

Chobi_Chobi_Chobit_Chan
07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
My friends and I where discussing the upcoming american death note live action movie remake. I , personally, know that america is going to screw up on this. As for actors, nothing is for sure, but most likely Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami. I don't think that that is a smart move, bacause they do somewhat look like each other, but they have different personalities. I loved the japanese movies, but i don't think an american remake would be good

any thoughts on this?

Miu Mai
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh no! I'm a little afraid, not gonna lie!

Ezzy
07-02-2008, 01:10 AM
They showed this at a movie theater where i live, only 2 showings though, i dont know if it was subbed or dubbed, but it really surprises me that stuff like that is being shown in theaters now

_Freddie_
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
If they're going to copy it, I just hope the acknowledge it, what I mean is, it better take place in Japan, and the names better not be changed.

As long as they do that, IDC how horrible it is.

Chobi_Chobi_Chobit_Chan
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
-_-

wolfgirl90
07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I think that it is pointless to release an American version of the Death Note movies. The English version of the Japanese live action movie is going to come out on DVD in September (although some people, including me, have already seen the dubbed movie in theaters), so we will already have a version of the movie. Plus, the English version of Death Note ended recently. There is nothing new that they can do with the movie, so why bother making a new one;) ?

I am at least happy (if you can call this relieved but disgusted emotion "happy") to hear that Vertigo Entertainment are the ones developing (or at least trying to develop:rolleyes: ) the U.S Death Note movie, as they have experience with making remakes of Japanese and other foreign movies (The Grudge, The Eye, and Shutter to name a few) and they have been successful but these where movies we have never heard of (and, most likely, most people did not know that they came from another country). However, Death Note is something that has been around for a while. The manga ended and the anime is over. Plus, there have been extra books describing the events of Death Note and the English-dubbed live action movies came out in theaters and will be released on DVD soon. The US versions of the movies might be cool to those who have never heard of Death Note. However, what else could they possibly offer to those who have seen and read everything about Death Note:<_<: ?

They could show Misa Amane's death.....yeah, that could be good. :p

Bulf
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Zac Effron for Light? Are you serious? That's gotta be one of the worst things i've ever even heard of. Is there like a release date for the movie yet?

wolfgirl90
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
No. Only the people who planned to work on the movie have been announced. Of course, they have only announced their intention to make the movie. Who knows how long it will actually take them to make the movie if they pull through with their decision, since by the time they make a Death Note movie, America would have released the Japanese live-action movies already.

For example, 20th Century Fox announced their intention of creating a live-action Dragonball movie back in 2002, about the same time that Dragonball ended its run in America and when Dragonball Z was very popular. The movie itself does not come out until 2009:rolleyes:!!

This could take a while....

CapnJack
07-07-2008, 02:30 AM
I dont think some parents would want it made here; considering some students were caught making there own made up "Deathnote" notebook and were expelled, the whole "made up fantasy" concept would be lost on them and there would be complaints and protests and blahblahblah. Its stupid.

crunchy
07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
A US remake?! What? Really, they should just dub the Japanese version, the L in the Japanese version looks perfect.

wolfgirl90
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
America has dubbed the Japanese movies. They just have not released the movies on DVD yet (they only released the dubbed movie in limited theaters and for only two days).

CapnJack has a point though. The American remake of the Death Note movie might meet some resistance because of the American students that have been caught with replica Death Notes of their own. There was a senior at a military academy in my city who was caught with a Death Note and was suspended.

your.cipher
07-09-2008, 05:34 PM
oww... another amazing story preparing to be ruined by America

ToriMitsuki
07-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Why would the US do that?! You know that it probably wouldn't be filmed in Japan right? They'd probably twist it somehow to be in America. Possibly in a big city like San Francisco. Cause that's typically what happens... And Zac Effron?!?! You've got to be kidding me!!! I personally think he would make a horrible Light! But that's just my opinion.

Cross Avantgarde
07-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I know this news has caused more than a little concern among Death Note fans (and I am with you, trust me), yet, can I be honest? It's not like the Japanese live action film was all it should have been.

Riina-chan
07-25-2008, 01:18 PM
OH GOD WHY!!??? WHY??!!! -____-
It's gonna suck I know it.... They will ruine L! I mean Kenichi Matsuyama is the PERFECT L!!! *sigh*

The only good thing in this movie I know for now is that Misa might actually be blond! O_O

As for actors, nothing is for sure, but most likely Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami.
HELL NO!!! O___O I really hate that guy for some reason... x_x Even though I don't like Raito that much I hope Zac won't play him.... I would like triple hate him! >_>

I just don't like US remakes... :P

Sanosuke X
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
The remake is obviously American directors trying to take a Japanese story and make an American story...and take the credit for it.

Otosu
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
My thoughts are that I'm going to murder Zac Efron before he gets the chance to ruin my fandom.

I read that the same company that did The Ring(s) and The Grudge(s) are interested in Death Note. Makes sense. They do kinda get their hands on every J-horror movie they can. I whole-heartedly reject the idea that they should touch Death Note. If it was a physical entity I would guard it with my life and bite the fingers off of anyone who came near it.

The other people who tried to do Death Note did not stick to the plot whatsoever. It was shameful. But then again they had Ken'ichi Matsuyama. All is forgiven.

But Zac Efron? You've got to be jokes. There's no way. As an American, I'm sort of ashamed by their bad taste. I hate Mr. Efron. Who's gonna play L then? Justin Timberlake?

drm0ney
07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
oww... another amazing story preparing to be ruined by America
:oy: i agree, there's no way it'll be any good. I mean my friends and i had a good laugh with the two day only showing of the original. The whole "I am Light" (and their mouth keeps moving! I'd've liked it if they'd just sub it) Kinda reminded us of the old Godzilla movies.

Diocletian
07-25-2008, 01:59 PM
America doesn't care about anime.Look at Speed Racer.*sigh*that's what happens.

Cross Avantgarde
07-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Who's gonna play L then? Justin Timberlake?

That's not funny...and the thought sends chills down my back. And up again. Then back down.

Also, I agree with drm0ney; it got goofy at times, and hard to take seriously. Just take comfort in the thought that the anime is safe.

TKTwilight
07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Zac Effron for Light? Are you serious? That's gotta be one of the worst things i've ever even heard of. Is there like a release date for the movie yet?It could work. He's been in movies other than HSM, so he has some talent.

Check this out:
http://zacefroniskira.com/

Diocletian
07-25-2008, 07:27 PM
It could work. He's been in movies other than HSM, so he has some talent.

Check this out:

All Zac Efron knows how to do is pose prettily on a wall.
No talent.
Maile Flannigan has more talent.

Taikyo
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Okkk......I already knew since last month, that Vertigo Films was going to make an American Remake of Death Note. I ranted about this for a long while on my journal on DA. D: Rant on June 12 ('http://svenhart.deviantart.com/journal/18803425/')
I couldn't even sleep well because of it. T3T;

HELL NO WOULD I WANT THE CAST FROM HIGHSCHOOL MUSICAL TO BE IN THIS FILM! D<

What I think would happen if they did make it:

1.Misa can't be an air head, because Feminist wouldn't like it.

2. L will be condemned as a poster child for obese kids thanks to his bad eating habits and his inability to fatten up.Even tho we know he just has a fast motabolism.

3. Media will criticize the movie..again

4. Some where in the movie, there will be a quote or saying that everyone would use over and over again. Stupid catch phrases.

5. People mainly stupid students will be caught for making Death Notebooks, again...

I would get nightmares, and the DeathNote fans will literally bare their fangs if Zack Effron was Kira. I would write my name on the Death Note if that happened! X_x;

I also failed to mention that, Vertigo Films is the same company that remade most of the Japanese horror movies you seen today. <-- very bad remakes..;3;

But all in all, thats my opinion about this film. I think the anime and the manga was good enough...really.

I wonder how the DBZ Live-Action American remake would be. Which should be coming out next year. D:
I actually saw some pictures...X3 <--- Would wonder how they would do some of the fighting scenes......

Magelation
07-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I just died a little inside while reading this.

Bluedini
07-27-2008, 06:12 AM
I'm personally going to stay positive with this. Sure, it is true that sometimes America does mess some things up in terms of translation or "feeling" the story of different countries. That I won't deny. But, really, what I want to know is how can anyone bash something in the early stages of potential? It's a movie made to entertain and possibly tell the story in a unique way to keep things fresh. If that leaves a sour taste, then take a look at the differences between the anime, manga, and Japanese live action movie. Three different takes with the same characters.

By all means, I would love to see one of the best (in my opinion) thrillers go to the big screen. The Japanese version was great, and this is just another take on the same concept.

djinni
07-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Well we differ in opinions since we have different tastes;) I do respect everybody for that, but personally I do not like the live-action series by Japan. I believe they should stick to the anime itself coz that's their craft.

This movie-remake by the U.S.,, I might watch out for that. Who knows??
-:ninja: -

Magelation
07-27-2008, 08:16 AM
As long as it isn't seriously involving the High School Musical cast, I might watch it. Still... I don't have much faith in their acting skills for things involving shows based on anime. Or even English dubs of anime.

*arashi*
08-13-2008, 05:39 AM
My worst nightmare seems to come to live...
i admit that Zac Efron looks a little bit alike Light but thats all... I think he could never play Light personality... it's too hard even for best actors.. To play a moment normal human, genius with very high IQ but in the oder serial killer who wants to become a god of the new world, who can actually do that?
America, why? ;( why?.... don't destroy my heart.. eheh

PigFarts
08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, I for one would be thrilled to see an American Re-Make of the Death note film, just because I want to see what the American film-makers will do with it: honest to God, I like to see another person's interpretation. The rumors about Zac Efron, however...eh, I mean, I'm not a Light fan but I'm not sure about Zac's acting ability (I've never seen HSM...I don't plan on it either...) but the fact that they have 'different personalities' doesn't make sense in WHY he shouldn't play Light. He's an actor, therefore he gets paid to play many personalities on screen.

So, I'm excited! I already have the original films (subbed) and I really would like to see an American Version.

LittleGirl
08-23-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm looking forward to this remake. I really hope it happens. It's a great story and hopefully they can make a sick movie with their own twist to it.

And to be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the japanese version.

xox.aisubeki.xox
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Zac Effron for Light? Are you serious? That's gotta be one of the worst things i've ever even heard of. Is there like a release date for the movie yet?

O.O
:angry1::censored:
umm..
NO
they better not cuz i HATE Zac Effron.
i apologize a head of time for affending any Zac effron fan girls.
*runs and hides*
:sofa::badrazz:
Zac Effron is too preppy to play a killer.
i own the japanese anime and other movies.
if they make an american version.
they are for sure gonna slawter deathnote.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
*shakes head unapprovenly*
Grr

wordfarer
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Rough =/

LittleGirl
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Whoa where did Zac Effron come from? Is this some rumour? Please tell me it's just a joke.

Amray The II
09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
You had better start praying people, I probably will. Although if it does indeed happen then I will most definitely avoid it, I assure you.

suzumi
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
They could show Misa Amane's death.....yeah, that could be good. :p

What are you talking about? Misa doesn't die.

And I most definitely won't watch it if ever comes out. And if it ever makes it's way over to Japan.

Why do the Americans have to remake everything? Why can't they just be happy with the original? And why is everything so off??? I mean, really, they change EVERYTHING.

Just watch, it will take place in New York, Light will be annoying, L will be (well, depending on who he will be portrayed by) just plain weird, and Misa will be some sorry excuse for a pop idol.

Kaitou+
09-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't care less about a "remake" I had seen the subbed version of the Japanese Live Action movie ages ago, However using Zac Efron is just the biggest insult to the anime, what's next? Aly, AJ Ashley Tisdley as Misa? David Herrie as Matsuda? Moises Arias(With a Wig) as Near? Jason Earles as Mello? Miley "Stupid" Cyrus or Selena Gomez as Sayu? Old Dude from Disney as Sochiro? Corbin Blu as Aizawa? Maximum failure with the capital M and Font size of 9000, dudes.

But hey, I'll just move on with life while the directors of this movie will fail badly!.

Lucky!Star
10-19-2008, 04:20 PM
My friends and I where discussing the upcoming american death note live action movie remake. I , personally, know that america is going to screw up on this. As for actors, nothing is for sure, but most likely Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami. I don't think that that is a smart move, bacause they do somewhat look like each other, but they have different personalities. I loved the japanese movies, but i don't think an american remake would be good

any thoughts on this?

omg they'll definatly screw it up! and I always thought Zac Efron looked a bit like Light.
LoLz!

Moko Chan
10-19-2008, 04:46 PM
This is the 1st time i have heard about this.... Pretty odd and i dunno what to think.

Robin Sena
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Repent!! The World Is Coming To An End!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~SushiKuMo
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
okkk. i live in canada and the deathnote movie is coming out in theaters for one night only.. but the thing that is gunna suk is that they changed the cast to american peoples (yes its the current event) but i think its kinda stupid. im not paying to see preppy celebs playing someone like L... i can imagine (im agreeing with someone) that zac efron will most likley be playing light...well i will miss ken'ichi playing L..

geekguy
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM

2010, that's all that's known for now.

I wouldn't count Zac out just yet. He might surprise you. The charcter I'm concerned about would be "L," without Kinechi (sp) who are they going to find for this charcter?

Hey, Robin Williams for the voice of Ryuk! :laugh:

bonjob
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
HAHAHA! why don't they make their own movie.
They will just ruin the story. Hmp.
I'm thinking that their remake would be a MUSICAL! EWWW! HAHAHAHA!

JudyT
01-04-2009, 05:37 AM
I dobn't want them to remake this T_T

Me and my mate watched the first one and were sat there going "Hay this is really good i had my doubts but i loved it" Then The last name came out and i was living with my fella and this is the guy is pure english with most things. And he sat down and watched both films and was hooked!

Now all i can think is if they remake this i'll cry. And Zac Efron as Light ... I don't want Light to jump up and start singing its creepy.

Will they change the way Ryuk looks? Hope not i have a big soft spot for Ryuk.

If it does get made i'll watch it i've found lately not to make my mind up straight away and give things a chance. But something tells me no one should try to remake this film, It was perfect to start with just release it everywhere with Subbs and it'll be an instant hit!

chan-chan
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever Americans try to adapt Japanese anime/movie/horrors.. they fail terribly..

Let's start a petition to STOP the production!!!

LittleGirl
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Lol, like a petition will stop them from making a movie. It's a good story and they're gonna make money off this movie!

I for one am gonna stay positive. Everyone needs to quit whining. Don't like it? Don't see it.

aishiteru333
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
This makes me LOL! That guy playing Light... Hehe, they better rethink the actors. I don't want them to make a mockery of a thing that actually gave me a reason to live. I would want to die.

little miss sunshine
01-06-2009, 07:16 AM

any thoughts on this?

I really hope they don't ruin this great anime.
Zac Efron playing Light is just.....sissy.
That would be so bad.
Not that I'm anti-Zac Efron, but I'm afraid he just fits into the heart throb category, lacking on the intellectual kinda cool look.
Sigh.

LittleGirl
01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Ok, is there actually a rumour going on that Zac Efron is playing Light? If that's true, that is really a shame.

RJ169
01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
yea if Zac Efron is playing Light there would be no way the movie would be good

Leleiron
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
This will be a chance to laugh. Watch death note (americanized) point and laugh. I swear, some people just can't get it into their head that remaking DN (which will obviously suck) is a way of using useless amounts of money.

Furevor
01-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Zac Effron as light makes me physically sick...he looks like a little kid. No place in a Death Note movie whatsoever. BOOOOOO!!

geekguy
01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
HAHAHA! why don't they make their own movie.
They will just ruin the story. Hmp.
I'm thinking that their remake would be a MUSICAL! EWWW! HAHAHAHA!

"Deathnote-the Musical" - Michael Crawford for Light's father!

I disagree with the previous poster. First of all, Light is supposed to look young, so you can't complain because Zac looks too young for the part. Secondly, I think the problem is no one wants a "teen idol" type performer playing Light, but I think Zac could surprise people.

Incarnadine
01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Zac has potential, the only problem is that he's known for his roll in HSM, which makes people think he'd never be suitable as Light. He's still an actor, and he might just surprise us like geekguy said.

I'm willing to see what he can do, actually. When I first heard of it I facepalmed, but now I'm curious. I still like the original Japanese actor who played Light, and especially the guy who played L! :eek: He was amazing.

On the bright side, even if they mess up on the Americanized Deathnote movie, there's always the orginal movies to redeem everything. :D

kimi no kioku
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Honestly, who cares? I didn't the Japanese movies, I probably won't watch the American one. Plus, AI said that Zac Effron isn't really gonna play Light.

tokyoNH
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
America screws up every single remake they do of a Japanese horror. The originals are always better.

TrucyTrucy
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, it hasn't been confirmed that Zac is playing Light, right?
And, if he is, kill me now.
owo
What's next, Ashley Tisdale as Misa?

ToushiroPwnz
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Americans will ruin it. I think it was perfect the way it was. And preferred watching the subbed version. :eek:

ToushiroPwnz
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, it hasn't been confirmed that Zac is playing Light, right?
And, if he is, kill me now.
owo
What's next, Ashley Tisdale as Misa?

EWWWWWW Ashley.... *pukes* :banghead:

Videlreyes
02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
well ain't L from England? so he not even Japanese anyways, right?

ichimoku_fanboy
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
i doubt itll suck, but i really doubt itll be enjoyable for the people that have seen the live action movies already, plus America does have a knack for making something really good into something overrated and undermined *cough* twilight *cough*...

not trying to piss anyone off, but having zac efron being light would be horrible... it would just add to the stereotype that hes good at acting... im not gonna go into more detail on how much i hate efron, but yeah, hes overrated and im not afraid to say it...

but casting him as Light would be suicidal, cuz all the little kids that are in love with HSM are gonna wanna see their untalented idol in another movie, and having a very popular kids' idol performing a sadistic killer wouldnt be very positive cuz all the kids wanting to be Troy whatver his name is, are just gonna switch over to Kira, and having kids wanting to kill people isnt just stupid, its absolutely idiotic... i mean really? its gonna start an epidemic of 6 year olds carrying around backpacks with a pathetic attempt at efron looking badass with a notebook... and thats gonna really piss people who actually understand Death Note...

plus theyre gonna start watching death note now and then this forums gonna get clogged with 5 year olds that think theyre up to par with us otaku... XD

and if Zac's in, so is Vannessa Hudgens or Ashley Tisdale doing Misa, and prbly some disney fed weirdo like Drew Seeley or a Jonas bro doing L, and that would be the 9/11 of film...

pyre
02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
An AMERICAN remake? Seriously? They're already mutilating Dragonball (though I'm still hoping they'll be able to work with it, but judging from the trailer it's awful) and now they want a piece of DeathNote?

I'm thinking this won't do. I hope I'm wrong, but. There are some things that will have difficulties in being translated--and I don't just mean the dialogue. I mean culturally. Does America have Death Gods/Shinigami? Hades would probably be the best Western equivalent, but still. And the other uniquely Japanese undercurrent concepts (I'm not sure of them, I'm not Japanese, but I feel there are some).

And Zac Efron as Light! I've got nothing personal against the guy, but come on! I'd probably be expecting him to suddenly start singing, "I'm breaking free~!" His image is SO not Light.

And who's gonna be L? Vanessa Hudgens? xD

Ryuuzaki HD
04-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Death Note

Zac Effron : heart attack

Ghostless
04-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Here we go again. American directors trying to ruin a good japanese idea.
I will not go NEAR this american film like I didn't when they americanized "One last call" *shudder*

zerog
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
am I the only one who thinks zac efron looks like light? lol
but yeah this movie is going to suck like "dead or alive" and "dragon ball Z" movie for sure...

Moko Chan
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Excatly like what I was thinking.

Shion Sonozaki
05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah he does look alot like Light....

Capernicus
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I think Zac Effron looks like Light. Dunno about his acting skills, but it would be funny to see. I wonder how the fanbase will turn...

Moko Chan
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I cant see him doing anything like Death Note though :/

Seta Souji
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I still can't believe they're doing an American remake for this. Why air the japanese ones in america if they're going to redo it in english anyways? I thought the movie was pretty good even though ppl bash on how its not exactly like the manga. I was looking forward to how they'll do it differently and it worked out.

What i'm wondering is are they going to copy the japanese version of the movie just with diff actors and language? Or are they going to copy the manga? Or are they going to create a loose adaptation? If Zack Efron is playing as Light i won't care as long as he plays the role well. I can't think of any better young actor that can play Light anyways. Just please let it be good so ppl will realize how awesome DeathNote really is and then more ppl will have respect for manga/anime!

OtakuInu!!!
05-05-2009, 05:30 AM
I hope they don't make it like DBZ. Or stop making one because most animes are hard to make into a live action because most have special effects and etc.!!! Plus sometimes they don't make the stories right.:banghead::(:mad:

OtakuInu!!!
05-05-2009, 05:33 AM

any thoughts on this?

hahaha!!!

I don't think Zac even watches anime!!!

He could never pull it off!!!

Also, even though Light is not my most fave char., Light is cooler, smarter, and crazier than he'll ever be!!!

yakman1692
05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Personally, after the Dragon Ball movie, I don't want America to make any live action adaptation of any anime ever again. See, in Japan, there are enough people that would want to see a Death Note movie that they stayed relatively faithful. But chances are, if a Death Note movie in America, the executives will change alot to make it more accessable to a larger audience. Thats why the dubbed Death Note movie was only out for two days, not enough people would go to see it for it to be profitable.

agiup
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
japan is for japan! japan's death note is almost a look alike of an anime, i dont think america can make a perfect movie of death note, just like dragon ball, i think it would be better if japan made one.. lol!

peace out just expressing my opinion! :)

Scarred DNA
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
There is NO rumor that Zac Effron is playing Light. NONE.

God I hate the internet sometimes.

Zac has never been associated with the Death Note franchise, and hopefully never will be. Not in official form, not in rumor form, not in any form. This widespread (faulty) belief came from that fan-made picture comparing Zac to Light.

That's it - a simple little picture and the entire internet ran with it.

So if you're worried about it, you can relax. It's just a net myth. Of course, it does have a .0000015% chance of coming true, but that would only be because the stupid internet made such a big deal about it.

Bad Guy
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Hmm...maybe if Zach Effron casts as Light,maybe the movie will have a 2 disc DvD,with a musical special,while everyones dancing an Light writing people's names down as they fall over grabbing their throat an gurgle what looks like rabies/jizz. That made me sick,from the live action movie. >_<

CursingL
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
If Zac Efron plays Light Yagami that would be perfect. Zac actually cosplays as guess who... Light Yagami. Now I could see Tobey Maguire (the guy how played Spider-Man) playing L Lawliet, and nobody else. I could also see me as that extra in the second Death Note live-action, you know Death Note: The Last Name, that dies because he tells people to not follow KIRA because Misa was killing non followers of KIRA.

The only reasons I wouldn't see it is if I don't have the money, if it goes straight to DVD or Blu-ray, and/or if they change everything about it.

Scarred DNA
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Zac actually cosplays as guess who... Light Yagami.

Source, or that's false.

CursingL
05-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Source, or that's false.

sources:
http://en.wordpress.com/tag/zac-efron-as-light-death-note/
http://en.wordpress.com/tag/zac-efron-as-light-yagami/
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=178328
http://www.animevice.com/news/cosplay-alert-osaka-street-festa/811/
http://haru-yuki.deviantart.com/art/Zac-Efron-is-Kira-92433677
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuigFoGVDUY

also he was in an akon video with some fans dressed as Light Yagami doing the caramelldansen.

Scarred DNA
05-07-2009, 07:32 PM
sources:
http://en.wordpress.com/tag/zac-efron-as-light-death-note/
http://en.wordpress.com/tag/zac-efron-as-light-yagami/
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=178328
http://www.animevice.com/news/cosplay-alert-osaka-street-festa/811/
http://haru-yuki.deviantart.com/art/Zac-Efron-is-Kira-92433677
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuigFoGVDUY

also he was in an akon video with some fans dressed as Light Yagami doing the caramelldansen.

None of those are reliable sources. They are all fan-made, and are nothing more than opinions of people on the internet. The Zac is Kira website is actually the website that started this whole OMG Zac is Light! fiasco in the first place! It even shows you the pictures that started it all, which are very CLEARLY nothing more than a fan comparison.

No, Zac Efron has never cosplayed as Light Yagami. He looks like the guy, so all you're seeing is Zac wearing similar clothing to Light (just as all people who frequent reward ceremonies will do) - by coincidence. Nothing more.

No information on that Akon video on the web. Have a link?

But yeah . . . still false.

CursingL
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Well it's hard to find soruces when my computer is blocked. I don't know try here: http://marchinglieutenant.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/ze-kira.jpg or http://www.truveo.com/Cosplay-Tag-Katsu/id/734158818 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9zn73k2LE or http://es.truveo.com/Death-Note-Cosplay-Slideshow/id/1079012652

and like i said he was in an AKon video cosplaying Light Yagami and doing the caramelldansen.

CursingL
05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
None of those are reliable sources. They are all fan-made, and are nothing more than opinions of people on the internet. The Zac is Kira website is actually the website that started this whole OMG Zac is Light! fiasco in the first place! It even shows you the pictures that started it all, which are very CLEARLY nothing more than a fan comparison.

No, Zac Efron has never cosplayed as Light Yagami. He looks like the guy, so all you're seeing is Zac wearing similar clothing to Light (just as all people who frequent reward ceremonies will do) - by coincidence. Nothing more.

No information on that Akon video on the web. Have a link?

But yeah . . . still false.

Why are you making such a big deal about this anyway? Do you know Zac Efron?

Scarred DNA
05-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Well it's hard to find soruces when my computer is blocked. I don't know try here: http://marchinglieutenant.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/ze-kira.jpg or http://www.truveo.com/Cosplay-Tag-Katsu/id/734158818 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9zn73k2LE or http://es.truveo.com/Death-Note-Cosplay-Slideshow/id/1079012652

and like i said he was in an AKon video cosplaying Light Yagami and doing the caramelldansen.

That's not a cosplay dude. It's just coincidence that he wore a white shirt and red tie (millions of people wear that everyday). That picture was probably taken on location for a movie or at some awards ceremony.

The rest are . . . I don't even really know what those videos are supposed to tell me. Sorry.

The creator of that first picture is the person who started it all, and it was meant to be funny. Ya know - haha Zac looks like Light. It was not meant to be taken seriously. Still haven't linked to that Akon video, so meh there.

I care when people spread outright lies, basically. Zac having any kind of association with the Death Note Anime is just not true . . . at all.

CursingL
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Well I'm not lying. I have seen Zac Efron cosplay Light Yagami several times. I can't give you the links because I don't remember the exact videos and blogs also my computer keeps blocking my so I can't check them.

niKopol
05-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it'll be wasted money since I have a feeling even more of the show will be lost in translation and with bad actors like the ones from twilight will just make things worse. Hell even the Japanese live action version failed badly in my opinion when I saw them when it first aired in Japan. But whatever.

Wth is wrong with hollywood anyway... its like they're competing to see who can make the worst movie ever.

Amyrat151
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I really think that an American live action movie of Death Note isn't a bad idea. It completely depends on who plays Light and L and who writes and directs. If three out of four of those people do awesome jobs, it could be honestly a good movie. If it's four out of four, it could be kick ***, if it's two out of four, it could be bearable. We can't really know until we know who's working on it.
Death Note is a series that I think can translate to live action just fine, as it did with the Japanese live action version.
But I'm sorry if Eforn is really playing Light...that's almost as bad as Revees playing Spike. I actually kind of like Zac, but I don't think he can pull it off. But it's not like the Japanese guy who played Light "set the bar" or anything.

oishi88ramen
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldnt like any of the American remakes of animes. They make it sound childish when it comes on trying to get the Japanese accent comeout of their mouth.
I guess....

Dead rose
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
i am not gonna watch ..american remake...i am sure that they would screw up and ryuk?? who can possible act as a shinigami and they vioce acting would be really childish and horrible

CherryBlade
06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm gonna watch it 4 the laughs...and who knows it might turn out good ( a small possibility, i've seen Dragon Ball XD)

if zac actually gets the part,then the movie isn't going to be very promising lolz

Shunshin Jhey-sama
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I wont watch it in theaters or buy dvd of it, I'm just going to wait for it in the torrents and then I would die. . . .

Of laughing. . .

then I wont be able to sleep. . .

Efron as Light and Cyrus as Misa would haunt me. . . @~@

deathnotegirl23
06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
hey death note fans!
There should be something somewhere idk yet :banghead: but if you sign it and donate $1 they will add up all the money (probably making over a million) and give it to the Japanese Live action death note L actor; Ken'ichi Matsuyama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken%27ichi_Matsuyama) to see if he would come and learn english to be the American live action L!!!! :D:laugh::D:ooh::bounce::band2::dancing::rollt::gr injump::ballons::bigannoun

Scarred DNA
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
^Argh. I've had enough of that fool. He was okay in the Japanese movies, but I don't want him in the American remake.

There should be no problem finding a suitable L for the remake . . . just the right voice and the right bone structure, and everything else can be manipulated. Hair can be dyed. Eyes can be dilated. Whoever it is can be starved for at least a good 2 weeks. Skin can be bleached.

I think I'll hang on to my dollar.

Sparda
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
patience... ,i say just patience...

Shunshin Jhey-sama
06-13-2009, 01:36 PM
^Argh. I've had enough of that fool. He was okay in the Japanese movies, but I don't want him in the American remake.

There should be no problem finding a suitable L for the remake . . . just the right voice and the right bone structure, and everything else can be manipulated. Hair can be dyed. Eyes can be dilated. Whoever it is can be starved for at least a good 2 weeks. Skin can be bleached.

I think I'll hang on to my dollar.

ehh. . .uhm. . I think kenichi was ok. . .
up until the 3rd movie. . .>,<

Ryuuzaki HD
06-14-2009, 12:36 AM
This movie is a instant fail.
Death Note characters=Japanese
American actors playing Japanese people=EPIC FAIL

If people really want to see the live action they will go and buy a copy of the Japanese movies.

Scarred DNA
06-14-2009, 09:33 AM
This movie is a instant fail.
Death Note characters=Japanese
American actors playing Japanese people=EPIC FAIL

If people really want to see the live action they will go and buy a copy of the Japanese movies.

Eh. The Japanese did the same thing with L.

L = white boy.

I'll see the movie just so I can at least see a proper, non-japanese L.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Eh. The Japanese did the same thing with L.

L = white boy.

I'll see the movie just so I can at least see a proper, non-japanese L.

It never says what natonality L is.

tsukinowa
07-06-2009, 03:39 PM
they will never make a better L in the US remake!!!

Zeokoz
07-08-2009, 08:43 PM
How is the Japanese version of this movie? Is it worth watching at least? I absolutely loved the anime so... I was thinking of checking out this movie.

Ryuuzaki HD
07-08-2009, 09:12 PM
How is the Japanese version of this movie? Is it worth watching at least? I absolutely loved the anime so... I was thinking of checking out this movie.

It's definetly worth seeing but not as good as the anime though.

kira-killed-me
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm all for it!
I am (Or used to be) in love with death note, and if they do ruin it. Who cares!
In all honesty i would like to see how the Americans portray it, and to be able to go to the cinema and watch... that would be amazing.

Ryuuzaki HD
07-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm all for it!
I am (Or used to be) in love with death note, and if they do ruin it. Who cares!
In all honesty i would like to see how the Americans portray it, and to be able to go to the cinema and watch... that would be amazing.

I bet that's what people said about Dragonball Evolution.

kurai_cho2
07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
L in US remake is a little bit odd...
I prefer with L in japanese remake (wa...... keni'chi matsuyama.......)

Flaaffy
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
L in US remake is a little bit odd...
I prefer with L in japanese remake (wa...... keni'chi matsuyama.......)

Ken'ichi is amazing <3

Zac Efron as Light?!? PLEASE NO!

Ed Westwick would make a good Light...
http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/1/2007/12/27/320x240/ed_westwick.jpg

Eh? And he's a much better actor.

Alkazor
07-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm fearful of the opening song.

I mean, I don't America has ever really improved on any anime, only made them worse...and the Japanese theme was Red Hot Chili Peppers. I mean, this could be America's chance to do something right but...the song will probably end in a disaster.

EDIT: Also, I think I would make a better L than the Japanese one. I'd post picks, but Near/Suzaku/whatever people are calling my brother nowadays lost the cord to the camera, so I can't upload anything right now. Even the people at school have taken to calling me Ryuuzaki, heh.

Not that I'm expecting to land the job or anything lol!

EDIT 2: I heard questions about L's nationality?

When asked about L's nationality, Ohba responded saying "I think of him as a quarter Japanese, a quarter English, a quarter Russian and... maybe a quarter French or Italian? Something like that."

Flaaffy
07-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm fearful of the opening song.

I mean, I don't America has ever really improved on any anime, only made them worse...and the Japanese theme was Red Hot Chili Peppers. I mean, this could be America's chance to do something right but...the song will probably end in a disaster.

EDIT: Also, I think I would make a better L than the Japanese one. I'd post picks, but Near/Suzaku/whatever people are calling my brother nowadays lost the cord to the camera, so I can't upload anything right now. Even the people at school have taken to calling me Ryuuzaki, heh.

Not that I'm expecting to land the job or anything lol!

EDIT 2: I heard questions about L's nationality?

So you don't like Ken'ichi Matsuyama as L? I thought he was perfect.

agiup
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
say what?! a big NO. american remakes always fail to match the original versions. American remakes of movies like the grudge, the eye, my sassy girl, dragon ball, etc are all proof that they should not do any death note remakes. just please don't. we've seen enough failures..

kimi no kioku
09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Well honestly, I think they're going to ruin it. What are they gonna do with the names? Soichiro is going to be Stanley, Sayu is gonna be Sara. But besides that, it might not be that bad. I say if you don't like the idea, don't watch it. Or do for the lolz, like I will.

Bubblin' Momoiro
09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I think we can all agree that's it is most likely gonna suck..
I think we all can also agree.. we're all gonna watch it anyway..

If it turnes out to be a very entertaining film.. that would be an very pleasant surprise! and if it's not.. well we all saw it coming then anyway.
I already found the japanese real live movie of death note not that good.
I honestly doubt the American are going to create one that's gonna be better

Shinigami Turtle
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I just signed up. I'm mainly here to rant about the american 'remake' of Death Note.

You're probably all aware of this but aparently Light is now Light Reynold's and Misa is Misa Parker. And the film is now set in, guess what!, america.
Now all they have to do is round up all us fans of the graphic novels/books/films/anime and shoot us all in the face.

It's bad enough that they refer to it as a remake and not an adaption, even though the comics came first. But they also claim to want nothing to do with the 3 existing Japanese films!

And what I've heard of the casting so far makes we wanna cry.

And the fact that's it's being done by the idiots that made The Grudge (great origional, crap remake), The Eye (great origional, crap remake), Shutter... oh, you get the point...

Please tell me you're not happy about this... ? (I'm aware there already are several comments to that effect)

(Nice to meet you all by the way)

wolfgirl90
10-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Nice to meet you too.:) However, let's get a few things straight (for accuracy's sake):

You're probably all aware of this but aparently Light is now Light Reynold's and Misa is Misa Parker. And the film is now set in, guess what!, america.
Now all they have to do is round up all us fans of the graphic novels/books/films/anime and shoot us all in the face.

Nothing has been decided on the names of the characters. Hell, Warner Bros is not even entirely sure of what direction to go with the movie, so they definitely do not have anything about changes for the characters. This includes the overall setting of the movie. Of course, if the movies does end up taking place in America, then it really should not surprise anyone. Japan does the same thing when they remake American stuff, so no double standards here (they make remakes of American franchises just like America does...and not all of them are good).

This ALSO includes the casting of the movie. Like I said, WB is not even past the planning stage, so anything that has to do with the casting is only rumors for now.

It's bad enough that they refer to it as a remake and not an adaption, even though the comics came first. But they also claim to want nothing to do with the 3 existing Japanese films!

I think you misunderstood what they plan to do. Warner Bros is going to make (or rather, plans to make) the movie about the Death Note manga, rather than simply making a remake of the movies. Basically, this will be a movie based of the material of the manga, rather than simply a remake of the Japanese movies (in which case, the word "remake" really should not be used). They are not going to deal with the previous movies because that is not what they basing the new movie off of.

And the fact that's it's being done by the idiots that made The Grudge (great origional, crap remake), The Eye (great origional, crap remake), Shutter... oh, you get the point...

It depends on what you mean by "done", "the idiots" and "made". Vertigo Entertainment (the guys who going to produce the Death Note "remake") is really only comprised of two people: Roy Lee (the main producer...if not the only one) and Doug Davidson. Lee negotiates with the Asian film companies to allow him to produce a remake (noting that simply releasing the movie with subtitles would never go well in America...which is very, very true). He doesn't direct or write. For example, guess who directed the "The Grudge" remake? Takashi Shimizu, the guy who CREATED the series in the first place!:rolleyes:

And let's not forget that Vertigo Entertainment also co-produced "The Departed" (a remake of the Hong Kong film "Internal Affairs"), which has grossed almost $300 million worldwide and won 4 Academy Awards, including "Best Picture". And guess who also worked on this remake, who help with writing and distribution? WARNER BROS!!:laugh:

I really do not have any real expectations for this proposed remake, since there is nothing much to go on except who is distributing it, who's producing it and who's writing. WB and Vertigo have teamed up before, so they know what they are doing. I just hope they follow through.:p

Shinigami Turtle
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I found out about this proposed 'remake' on youtube and instantly googled it. The information I gave in my last post was gleaned from several interviews with (or articles about) warnerbros and the supposed screenwriters for this 'remake'. I don't really care what's accurate or inaccurate. My post, at it's core, was just a pi**ed off rant from a pi**ed off fan of the comics/anime/films. :banghead: (You should hear me rant about the oldboy 'remake' :rolleyes: )

There's nothing to missunderstand when the (proposed) screenwriters themselves (apparently) used the word 'remake' in several of these interviews and, never once did the word adaption appear (though of course, I'm taking it as read that this information is correct, which it may very well not be). And Death Note is, after all, a set of graphic novels. So, you're entirely right, the word 'remake' really shouldn't be used here. :D

As for subtitles not doing well in america (and I imagine this is probably true of britain aswell) I just can't fathom it. For the quality of some foriegn films the effort of reading a few subtitles isn't exactly a hardship! :mad:

I am aware of the grudge being directed by takashi shimizu (though I would have had to look up the name) but it takes more than a good director (and to be honest, I don't think he is) to make a good movie (which the grudge was not). Neither were the remakes of the ring, the eye, shutter, one missed call, or any others I can think of (I'm aware that these aren't all necessarily done by the same people but I can't be bothered to research it).

And since when does a high grossing film=a good film? :wacko: I've seen an awful lot of 'blockbusters' that have been downright appalling, but obviously this is all down to personal opinion and taste so you may very well disagree.

I'd have to admit here that I have never seen a japanese adaption of anything american, and I probably wouldn't bother to, the same rule applies; why remake things? And there are no double standards here, my opinion is that american remakes are always rubbish, any other countrie's remakes are besides the point. :cool:

From your post it looks like you know a lot more about warnerbros and vertigo entertainement than I do but I would have to disagree that they know what they're doing, they can only really know what they want to be doing. Death Note is such an involved story and, like any book or graphic novel each person that reads it will have their own opinion on how it should appear on the big screen. Like with any adaption, it's impossible to please everyone (least of all me :closedeye )! I'm an out and out self confessed snob when it comes to stuff like this! I hate :angry1: poetic license and think it should be outlawed under penalty of death!!!

And, as such I am a MASSIVE hypocrite, just look at how drastically inaccurate the japanese death note films are! and yet I love them!!!

So if the american film is any good if/when it comes out then I will stand up and be counted with all the other hypocrites that whinged and whined and went to see it anyway! :p

Hypatia
11-30-2009, 07:18 AM
They do look alike but no not him. Zac efron wont make a good Light.
http://www.animeforum.com/image/thum_2214734b13c6157b0b6.jpg (http://www.animeforum.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=47617)