PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else agree?

Broly3k8
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
So just read an article in a magazine (Anime Insider i believe) that placed Cowboy Bebop as #1 of a 100 anime's. I loved this series so i have to agree but what do yall think? Did it deserve #1 slot or was there something else?

Yoko Littner
06-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea this show is very good. In my opinion I would give it maybe 3rd or 4th but I C why it got first.

alliop
06-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I remember watching Cowboy Bebop when I was little but I don't remember it so I can't really render judgement.

mississippibaby
06-30-2008, 09:32 AM
it was a very good show im not sure if it deserved the number one spot, but it would definetly be in the top five.

Cross Avantgarde
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Definitely in the top five. I'm not shocked that it got first, but I might place it second or third.

Kanjoudakai_Ira
07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Yay for it :D *cheers* I love cowboy bebop one of the series i watched for 3-4 times xD When it was on tv :>

Masterjoe42
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
So just read an article in a magazine (Anime Insider i believe) that placed Cowboy Bebop as #1 of a 100 anime's. I loved this series so i have to agree but what do yall think? Did it deserve #1 slot or was there something else?
Hell yeah, they did the right thing.
THis show has everything.
From Yoko Kanno's award winning music for the show, right down to multiple cultures and religions all getting along and living together on different planets, still fitting in an addicting storyline with 5 bounty hunters trying to make a living.
This show takes the cake as far as "Epicly Awesome" goes.:D

Robin Sena
07-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Right. Make no mistake, it deserves an A+.

space cowboy
07-13-2008, 01:48 PM
deserves nothing but the best, this show is without doubt the best anime ever

Diocletian
07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
It doesn't deserve #1.It deserves somewhere in the top 3 but it's also based on your dislikes/likes.I would put Wolf's Rain as #1.It had a great ending and a great unique story.I would say Anime Insider didn't know feces.If it were Otaku USA I would agree.Then again they give me a DVD with every purchase.

Wio
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
The whole bounty hunter thing in space doesn't appeal to me.

Manhattan_Project_2000
07-13-2008, 08:02 PM
It was alright, but the stereotypical characters anger me and a lot of it was cruft. About half of it could be edited out with out effecting the storyline. There have been many series I enjoyed more then CB.

Memento Mori
07-13-2008, 08:16 PM
YES it deserved it.

Forgotten Sacrifice
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I only saw it a few times, but I thought it was one of the better animes.

Masterjoe42
07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
It doesn't deserve #1.It deserves somewhere in the top 3 but it's also based on your dislikes/likes.I would put Wolf's Rain as #1.It had a great ending and a great unique story.I would say Anime Insider didn't know feces.If it were Otaku USA I would agree.Then again they give me a DVD with every purchase.
The ending of Wolf's Rain was enough to make anyone cry. The best anime ending I've ever seen, personally. But I think Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop both tie the rope at the top. Thanks for bringing that up. It's altered my thoughts a little, whereas in the ending of cowboy bebop, nobody was ever sure if Spike died or not. It was still awesome. The music was excellent, the story, the characters, all right down to even the art and animation style.
So I guess all in all, Bebop takes the cake hands down. (If ed doesn't find it first)

mostwanted
07-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Shinichiro Watanabe did a great work and I'm sure that Cowboy Bebop deserves a place in top5. :) But to be the first one ? It all matter of taste...

nosfarartu
07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
ok before i get blasted let me say cowboy bebop was awesome so was the movie but i never take notice of any top whatevers because i feel they go down to personal opinion most of the time so you cant actually say 'oh this is the best cause we say so' denst work really, i dont belive number 1 but it was awesome

~Kaiya~
08-24-2008, 12:47 AM
[quote]The ending of Wolf's Rain was enough to make anyone cry. The best anime ending I've ever seen, personally. But I think Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop both tie the rope at the top.[quote]

I agree with MasterJoe on this one. Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop tie for number one. They were both really different. Not many people could come up with that! And i did cry at the end of Wolf's Rain!

(if the quote deal didn't work i aplogize. I'm new to the forum thing. If it doesn't someone please fill me in! Thanks!)

dragoninja
10-22-2008, 02:01 AM
cowboy bebop sucks you in and keeps on edge through the whole story... all the emotions are there and keeps you begging for more... a deserving #1 if you ask me BUT there are others who would say the all time best anime is not cowboy bebop and i would have to agree with them

Variados
11-07-2008, 12:06 AM
There are more animes out there... Cowboy Bebop hits the spot on the tops.. but as years and animes goes.. for that year (the year it came out).. I will give it number 1 spot.. but as many animes I seem, some have surprised me more.. ^_^ Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite animes, and deserves that place.. but there are better ones.. it all comes down on what you like.. for me.. well, what it teaches me or what I get from it besides liking it.. hahaha.. if I can watch it over ten times.. it is good.. hahaha

jtdlives
12-07-2008, 08:13 AM
I read that article and I agree that cowboy bebop should of got #1. Personally that isn't my fav., but all around I think most anime fans think it is a great series, but I didn't agree with FLCL being ranked #4 maybe at 99.

Mango
12-07-2008, 12:31 PM
It was definitely deserved, Cowboy Bebop is an amazing anime.

overwatch
12-07-2008, 01:20 PM
It was alright, but the stereotypical characters anger me and a lot of it was cruft. About half of it could be edited out with out effecting the storyline. There have been many series I enjoyed more then CB.

I am actually going to say that having episodes which don't directly contribute to the main overaching story is a good thing in a series. With many strong story driven anime (Wolf's Rain, Death Note, Ergo Proxy) you cannot simply watch a single episode and be able to enjoy it alone it needs the episodes before (unless its the start) and after in order to be complete.
Thus I hardly watch Wolf's Rain in little bits - I can't just throw in a DVD and watch it since its picking up the story in the middle - but I can happily pick up a Bebop DVD and most (barring the last) you can watch with less need to have seen the ones before.
Its a tricky line to draw though - one has to get the balance right between the two. Consider the GITS Stand Alone Compex series - both have strong story elements, but there are also many episodes which can be watched totaly as a single entity - containing beginning, middle and end.

So for continued presence I think Bebop wins out over something like Wolf's Rain. Is it the best there is, well its one of the best I have seen!

Sashikizu
12-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I think it's deserving of one of the top 5 for sure, but I'm not sure about number 1, it's a good series, but I think one of the other series would have been more deserving. I don't have that specific issue of AI but from the other posts, I think Wolf's Rain would have been a bit more deserving since it's beautiful, has a really deep story, amazing seiyuu in english and japanese, and ugh, I just love it. But I don't know what all the other series that were voted on were. :wacko:

SigmaSD
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I am currently watching the series, and have found it to be enjoyable and may even be one of the best anime I've seen. I like the themes in the series, and I also like how the stories relate to music. A very well done series. But I don't think it deserves to be #1 because I'm sure that there are better ones.

Starshine
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Weeeeell... I've only watched Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Samurai 7, and Samurai Champloo. Other than that, only seen snippets of Naruto, Inuyasha, and Dragonball... So, out of those, yeah I'd say Cowboy Bebop is #1. And I can't imagine watching an anime I like more.

The story is good. The characters are believable. It brings an unprecedented authenticity to space anime. And the music is AMAZING.
Not many animes could top all of that.

Tasuke
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
no way, no how. there are so many great Anime movies/series that i love, that it would be almost impossible for me to name a number one. still, if i had to, i would want to say "Ai Yori Aoshi" but, that just wouldn't be fair, as, like i said, there are simply too many Anime titles of the highest caliber to name a number one favorite. BTW; i had no idea that ANIME INSIDER still existed. while it is heartening to know that it and ANIME USA are still in circulation, it is a grave insult to this passionate Anime fan of fifteen years that those two publications, and possibly ANIMERICA as well, continue to exist, while NEWTYPE USA, a publication of so much higher caliber, so tragically went under not so long ago...

Broly3k8
12-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey that reminds mei have the first issue of Newtype USA somewere around here.... I remember cause it came with a i belive Full metal Jacket short manga, and the front cover was of a Gundam i believe i could be wrong.

Yugure's Goddess
12-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Hey that reminds mei have the first issue of Newtype USA somewere around here.... I remember cause it came with a i belive Full metal Jacket short manga, and the front cover was of a Gundam i believe i could be wrong.
Yeah. It's in my manga drawer. xD

Anyway, I don't really think it deserves the top slot. I remember that issue and I was heartbroken that Vandread, or something else that I thought was amazing didn't make the list. I don't Wolf's Rain or my beloved Texhnolyze were in the top 100, either. NGE was only like 7 or 8, and I was sure, thumbing through everything, that the oldies and the originators would hit the top. Astro Boy didn't place very high, though and it was probably the oldest one on the list. It may have been in the top 10 or so but it still wasn't as high as it should have been.

My point is that Cowboy Bebop is a pretty nifty series, but it's far from the best. There are thousands of anime that the producers, writers and editors of that magazine probably have never even heard of, so you can't really say that the list is comprehensive. It sure as heck isn't definitive. That'd pretty much be an impossible task, anyway. I think they did alright but some of the series didn't really get what was due to them.

love
dani
dude

MorphtheFallen
12-28-2008, 03:44 AM
I'd have to say it deserves the spot, not just because I think it is a great show or even because it stands above many others (not to say it is definitively the best). It's characters, story and music makes it hard not to be in one of the top spots. (I'm being quite vague, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about the same as when people reference "many others that are better")
The reason I think it deserves the top spot, is because to me it can be seen as not just anime, but a good "show". Not to say other anime's are not or that something being an anime is bad. However it appeals (in what I've seen) to a broader group of people because of how good it is. (Sure this may be personal bias but then again what isn't).

BestFly
12-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Cowboy Bebop is definitely a contender for best anime of all time, but as with all "best of lists" theres rarely a clear number one pick. I don't know what kind of criteria was used, but I normally find 100 things wrong with top 100 lists.

There are probably 20 or so anime that could legitimately compete for the top spot.

FLASH-X
12-28-2008, 11:32 AM
i don't think cowboy bebop is no.1 there are many more animes in the fight, i think ANIMES like DBZ,F.M.A,INU-YASHA,ROURONI KENSHIN NARUTO AND BLEACH could be number one . but cowboy surely deserves third or fourth spot in all time best :D

daft
12-28-2008, 02:35 PM
I do agree, very much so.

BestFly
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
i don't think cowboy bebop is no.1 there are many more animes in the fight, i think ANIMES like DBZ,F.M.A,INU-YASHA,ROURONI KENSHIN NARUTO AND BLEACH could be number one . but cowboy surely deserves third or fourth spot in all time best :D

DBZ, Inuyasha, Naruto, and Bleach are the most overrated anime shows ever.

Orta Honehone
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
While this is a very good show, I really dont think it deserved the no. 1 spot. I would probably put it at 5th or 6th (as far as my tastes go, at least)

vixen_wolf
01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
i agree a milions times!! it had good story plots the ending and story wrapped up well it didnt have a millions episodes...yup thats what vixen thinks anyways

FLASH-X
01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
DBZ, Inuyasha, Naruto, and Bleach are the most overrated anime shows ever.

they are overrated???? lol not at all ,,,they are huge mega super duper hits and to be honest cowboy bebop is one of them,, i mean its 1 of the all time best.

batou1
01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd agree with most of the responses on here that it is in the top 3. I have a hard time giving any anime the top spot though since there is such a variety of different types. But it really does encompass a lot of different aspects of a good show with a progressive and unfolding storyline, good characters, action and suspense.

Zenni-Kun
01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
the series was good, had everything in what Tony Sinclair calls "moderation", just the right amount of the right elements that make up the show, followed by a great cast and an awesome ending

Rein*
01-27-2009, 02:23 PM
i agree; It is great. i cry every time i see the ending

JudyT
01-28-2009, 02:16 AM
I agree it should be #1 it always has in my heart.

But then i love loads of diffrent animes >< But Cowboy Bebop has always had its soft spot of been my fav! So to hear its been voted so highly is a VERY good thing mwhaha

Necro'lic Enigma
01-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Yes it deserves the First spot no doubt about it .Sure there must be other animes in competition who we think some are better , but i personally think , cowboy bebop really beats them and deserves the 1st spot.On most far well second.Not more then that.
That anime has that elemant to be there.

Teddie
02-21-2009, 11:55 AM
It was a great show. I don't see why not it shouldn't be in first.

ambspock
02-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I love Cowboy Bebop and it does deserves to be at least in the Top 5 but not necessarily #1 and Cowboy Bebop is one of the few shows that i can actually watch in English Dub and one of the few that i watch dub and in a way really help me cement my foot in loving anime because of how beautiful it is and heartfelt it is story wise.

tsujigiri15
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd have to say it deserves the spot, not just because I think it is a great show or even because it stands above many others (not to say it is definitively the best). It's characters, story and music makes it hard not to be in one of the top spots. (I'm being quite vague, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about the same as when people reference "many others that are better")
The reason I think it deserves the top spot, is because to me it can be seen as not just anime, but a good "show". Not to say other anime's are not or that something being an anime is bad. However it appeals (in what I've seen) to a broader group of people because of how good it is. (Sure this may be personal bias but then again what isn't).

I completely agree - what sets CB apart from most anime (not all by any means, but a lot) is that someone with no interest in anime could watch 1 episode and be like 'wow, that was really fun/clever/moving' depending on which one. Also the voice acting in both languages is amazing. I think the english dub stands out simply because often english dubs just dont work so well.

That all said its neith my favourite anime nor the only one which is a good show. Contenders for the top spot to my taste are azumanga daioh, samurai champloo, fma and bleach. But in terms of influence and artistry, I can see how CB tops em all