PDA

View Full Version : Your Pokemon Catching Button Press

Opinionated
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm sure everyone who's played a Pokemon game has developed their own superstitious button-pressing combo you use when you're out catching your Pokemons that you know increases your chances of catching your target.I've always known that you're supposed to press B right when the ball opens. I laugh at people who think it's down-A-B or some other over-complicated thing. It's funny how wrong people can be.

Buruku
06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Everyone knows A is the universal magic button. I have a hard time pressing B because it has that negative vibe that goes with it. >.>

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
B+Down at the moment the ball hits, but before it closes.

Your pokemon skillz are inferior to mine.

Ratiasu
06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
There is actually NO way to guarantee a capture unless you have the right Catch Rate

Catch = Pokeball Effect (((( 4 * Max HP - 2 * HP) * Catch Rate) / Max HP) + Status + 1) / 256
* = Multiply & / = Divide

What... im not a Pokemon Addict, xD

Edit: Oh, i just let the game catch it for me, so i dont stress out my fingers ^^
& For US only, Deoxys Event @ Gamestop June 20-22, June 27-29... >_<

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2008, 12:30 AM
There is actually NO way to guarantee a capture unless you have the right Catch Rate

Catch = Pokeball Effect (((( 4 * Max HP - 2 * HP) * Catch Rate) / Max HP) + Status + 1) / 256
* = Multiply & / = Divide

What... im not a Pokemon Addict, xD

Edit: Oh, i just let the game catch it for me, so i dont stress out my fingers ^^
& For US only, Deoxys Event @ Gamestop June 20-22, June 27-29... >_<
Your filthy math has no place in this thread. Everyone knows you catch pokemon not with your pokeballs, but with your heart.

Gjallarhorn
06-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Hit A after the ball shakes a second time.

Or, if in frustration, just mash A over and over.

Regex
06-20-2008, 01:00 AM
I sing gently to my Game Boy.

And if it doesn't work, I throw it against a wall. In punishment, of course.

Haoie
06-20-2008, 02:36 AM
You can't influence catch rates by pushing buttons.

Chewbacca
06-20-2008, 02:45 AM
I usually say violent and angry things to it, and if that doesn't work, I turn off the gameboy, take out the game, and proceed to throw it against my dresser, then I put it back in, and I catch the pokemon!

Buruku
06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Hit A after the ball shakes a second time.

Or, if in frustration, just mash A over and over.

Both of these is exactly what I do.

Cantelope
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Personally I've always just smashed A, but that's because I get impatient and do so to speed up the text etc.

angelic_assasin
06-20-2008, 03:24 PM
i hold down B while moving the control pad in the directions that the ball shakes in.

Gandizzl
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Left thumb on left arrow, right thumb on right arrow then tap furiously.
That's how I do it now.
When Red and Blue were new, it was the same just with A and B.

They rarely fail!
My 50 Bidoofs is proof of that!

Souhi
06-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Pokeball, HAS to be a Pokeball. None of this Great, Ultra, and everything in between nonsense. Then Down + B until the second pokeball shake, and success. It's caught me many a legendary at full health.

But hey, who's paying attention?

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Pokeball, HAS to be a Pokeball. None of this Great, Ultra, and everything in between nonsense. Then Down + B until the second pokeball shake, and success. It's caught me many a legendary at full health.

But hey, who's paying attention?
Just to let you know, it DOES work with Master Balls.

Khanxay
06-20-2008, 05:48 PM
It does? I've never used a master ball before.

I do the B when the ball opens, then I start mashing everything else as I turn away from the screen and listen for the sucessful capture music. I switched from pokeballs to premier balls too.

Memento Mori
06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
A+B+Down+Up+A+Double B+A+Up+Down+A+Up+Down+B+Double Up+Double B+A+Double B

For some reason, it never worked for me.

[no, but in all srs bznz, I press B right after I throw the pokeball]

Kojack
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Hit A every time the ball shakes, because it stops the pokemon from breaking free.

Souhi
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM

...now you're just being ridiculous.

Kobbler
06-20-2008, 06:30 PM
I play on the DS and I yell gotcha into the mike the moment the ball hits the pokemon. Its that or I pres and hold both shoulder buttons when the ball hits.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
It does? I've never used a master ball before.

I do the B when the ball opens, then I start mashing everything else as I turn away from the screen and listen for the sucessful capture music. I switched from pokeballs to premier balls too.

In red/blue, I practically use nothing but Master Balls.

I <3 Cinnabar Island.

Ωmega
06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
In red/blue, I practically use nothing but Master Balls.

I <3 Cinnabar Island.
LOL, I remember that glitch. Caught me a Missingo and a level 85 Wartortle

But yeah, I do the B tap. I also heard about it from Red/Blue, and the habbit just kinda stuck with me.

I also mumble "dont you dare break free"

Cantelope
06-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I never understood why Rhydons are able to surf.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I've never understood why Ash's Pikachu (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Pikachu_(Ash)) is able to shock ground type pokemon.

Datenshi
06-21-2008, 05:40 AM
It's all so long ago but I think I pressed B every time the ball wobbled. But then I tried everything from that to tossing the gameboy away after throwing the ball and pretending not to watch.

It's similar to blowing or licking your cassette when the game refuses to start (I just know everyone did that).

███
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM
It's all about pushing in the opposite direction the ball tips, that way the ball doesn't fall over. It's all about feeling the balance. You have to be born with it.

Amray
06-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I never believed that so I never button bashed anything whilst catching one. I just thought you had to rely on how much HP you took off the Pok'e'Mon and what ball you used.

Also 'B' was the cancel button, therefore I thought that if I tapped 'B' I would be cancelling the capture.

Kobbler
06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
It's all so long ago but I think I pressed B every time the ball wobbled. But then I tried everything from that to tossing the gameboy away after throwing the ball and pretending not to watch.

It's similar to blowing or licking your cassette when the game refuses to start (I just know everyone did that).

I got an original NES trust me, blow in the cartridges works to get them to run, Its the only way I can get Contra to work for me.

I say never doubt superstition, its amazing how it works at times.

Khanxay
06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Also 'B' was the cancel button, therefore I thought that if I tapped 'B' I would be cancelling the capture.
Why not think of it as "I'm negating that Pokemon's chance of getting out by pressing the cancel button."?

Ratiasu
06-21-2008, 05:30 PM
It's all about the game mechanics, lol. But go ahead button mash, there might be some combination after all, xD
Start, Select, A, B all at the same time, xD

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I got an original NES trust me, blow in the cartridges works to get them to run, Its the only way I can get Contra to work for me.

I say never doubt superstition, its amazing how it works at times.

That's not superstitious. You are blowing the dust of the contacts in the patented NES Dust Suction Drive. Of course, in the long run the moisture from your spit will corrode the contacts and will render your NES inoperable.

Buruku
06-23-2008, 10:20 AM
It's caught me many a legendary at full health.

I don't blv.

Ratiasu
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't blv.
i've caught a Rayquaza in Sapphire when he had full health with a Poke Ball. i guess the game mechanics in that battle were a little off, xD. Some how i guess it mistaken Rayquaza's catch rate coding with a Magikarp.

Psychicmind
06-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Down B as the Pokeball closes until it catches. I swear, it increases the chances by one shake of the Pokeball.

Doctor One
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
When the GBA came out I started using the L and R buttons to give me hope.
Even though I normally play Gold version anyway...
But before that I cursed my game boy when I didn't catch one.

shinnraiu
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Everyone knows A is the universal magic button. I have a hard time pressing B because it has that negative vibe that goes with it. >.>

WORD!!! I always press A.
I once tried B. The second I pressed it, Pokemon popped out. Major fail.

Diocletian
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I pulled an Ash:Shake my fist at the sky and twist my hat back and scream"ALL RIGHT!I CAUGHT A LAPRAS!"Good times good times.