PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 4

Dogmat
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Who's really looking forward to this game?! A month ago I bought the Metal Gear Essentials boxset which contains MGS 1-3 and played them for the first time. They were incredible games and skyrocketed my anticipation for MGS4! I believe this game will be one of the greatest games to come out this generation. It's already scored a 9.9 from IGN UK and a 40/40 from Famitsu.

shadow slayer x
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Well this is America, I think it'll just hit a 9/10 or 8.9/10.
That's a really big game and I mean about all the space it'll probably take up on your PS3 and also the graphics generator may go out of whack at times...
You'll never know...still although I own all 3 consoles (I prefer 360 more)
I'm looking forward to MGS4 and MGO (Metal Gear Online)

Amray
06-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I am really looking forward to it. I have been a fan of the "Metal Gear Solid" seires since the 2nd one came out, I adored it. So that is about six years of MGS fandom from me. Snake Eater amazed me to no end so I think that "Metal Gear Solid 4" is just going to be pure awesome.

Drifter Uk
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
its the one game i wish i had a PS3 for.
i loved the first one

Chocobo
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
The first and second games were awesome, it was the third one I had a problem with. The "Ape Escape" was a hilariously not funny, nor thrilling mini-mission. If I want to play Ape Escape I'll whip out my game case, and stick an Ape Escape game into the console.

Other than that, it was great. *points you in that general direction->Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (http://www.animeforum.com/blogs/viewblog.php?entry=40867)*

StabWound
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
The "Ape Escape" was a hilariously not funny, nor thrilling mini-mission. If I want to play Ape Escape I'll whip out my game case, and stick an Ape Escape game into the console.

That has nothing to do with the main game, it was just something they threw in as an extra.

Chocobo
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
That has nothing to do with the main game, it was just something they threw in as an extra.

I understand that, but they could have come up with something a little less..ApeEscapeish. O.o;;

I do have to admit though, it was quite hilarious seeing Snake in Ash's place...

Amray
06-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes, that was the point. They were trying a "What the Hell? Haha!" approach, like they do with most humorus jokes in the Metal Gear Solid series. Like when that gaurd starts urinating on the 2nd one and you can walk under it. That was funny.

Dogmat
06-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Remember in MGS1 when Psycho Mantis would judge your gameplay, vibrate your controller, and read your memory card?

"Hmmm, so you like to play Castlevania?" :D

Also remember how you had to switch the controller port to bear him? Glad I knew that ahead of time or I would have been utterly stuck.

Ein Einsamer Soldat
06-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Huge MG fan, there are so many questions I need answered and 4's gonna do just that. I'm looking forward to MGO(comes with 4) the most(goodbye Portable Ops +!!!)
I'm hoping there will be some Raiden game play, he's no GrayFox but the kid has got some mad skills. And Akiba's with the good guys now!!! Johnny you've got a chance to clear your family's name!!

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2008, 12:29 AM
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 IS INSTALLING AS I TYPE... BRACING FOR EPIC.

IF I DON'T COME BACK, TELL MY MOTHER I DIED A HERO.

ALSO, CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

Dogmat
06-12-2008, 05:34 AM
My Gamestop didn't have a midnight release since they're inside a mall. :(
But I'll be getting my LE copy when they open in a little over five hours. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!! :D

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
It's insanely good. I just finished Act 2. I really don't know where to begin, especially without spoilers.

Amray
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I am just glad that Harry Gregson-Williams returned to produce the soundtrack. He produces mesmirising music. English legend. The Queen should crown him already.

The story looks awesome! Lots of the characters from the other three games make an appearance, the game looks like a masterpiece! What I wouldn't give....

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm halfway through Act 3. Big Mama is talking, and now all the peices are falling together. It's a frick'n amazing storyline, I tell you what.

Amray
06-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Yes, and I know who Big Mama is.. ;D

I am sure most other people know too, but I found out by accident.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't know that it was much of a secret. They released art with her in it, and she looks a lot like she did. She's EVA by the way, for anyone who didn't know.

The really interesting part is the relationship she and the other surviving characters from MGS3 have to the established storyline. It's a total mindscrew.

Kobbler
06-13-2008, 12:08 AM
The thing I love about the MGS games is they are an interactive cinematic event. You feel like your playing a movie, thus why I never have had a problem with the "long" cut scenes, I feel they just add to that experience and the story. Im going to get paid tonight when I go to work cash the check and pick up the game (I think its out now lol).

Dogmat
06-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Just started Act 3. Wow, this is quite possibly the greatest game ever made!!! The graphics are stunning, as well as the soundtrack, and the story is terrific! IGN US just posted it's review, a 10 out of 10!

Amray
06-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Why am I not suprised? XD
The Metal Gear Solid series is the most popular stealth action game ever made, it has just made an amazing new adventure, and whats more the games just keep getting better and better. Well, MGS still beats MGS2, but you know what I mean. I found the cutscenes from Snake Eater amazing, therefore the ones on this one should be better.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM
I finished at 5:20 this morning. It was pretty damn great. The ending put a very nice capstone on the whole franchise, and answered what few remaining questions I had.

I finished in just under 21 hours on Normal, and got the Eagle (Lots of Headshots), Pig (Used lots of rations), Hyena (picked up lots of items), and Panther (Few continues, Many alerts, and lots of kills) emblems. On the plus side, you get to keep all your weapons, items, and Drebin points (used to buy guns and ammo) between playthroughs. Which is good, because I for some reason really want the muzzle-loader in Drebin's shop, even though it costs 1 million Drebin points.

Also, I non-lethal take-down'd the Beauty and the Beast Squad. The first part of their name is a lie, the only good looking one was Laughing Octopus. They all put up a decent fight, though. Well, maybe not Raging Raven, who was pretty damned predictable.

Kobbler
06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats it, at 11 Im going out and buying this game and if I can find it MGS2 Substance (Need it to complete the series.) Im so happy I got a $207 pay check today. W007!

Storm Strife
06-13-2008, 04:42 PM
WTB PS3, 50

Seriously, it's about now I wish I had a PS3...

Sagat
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Just finished my subway sub ..

And getting ready to put it into the PS3 ...

To hell with my friends or a social life .. this was a tough week and only metal gear can make me better.

Kobbler
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Just doing the system update then gonna play. Good bye fair world, I knew the well.

Sanosuke23
06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I know what MY financial stimulus check that I just now got in the mail is going towards.

StabWound
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm almost done with my second playthrough. Game is awesome, 'nuff said.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah. I finished my second playthrough yesterday. I'm working on a no-alert playthrough right now. Anyone who says there isn't a game under the gigantic cutscenes is a filthy lier (I'm looking at you, Penny Arcade).

Sanosuke23
06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Keep me posted on whether or not they decided to keep that Altair outfit from the April Fool's joke as an easter egg.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-14-2008, 05:04 PM
It's in there. Or so the Internet tells me, but since UbiSoft is in the credits (I can't remember if Assassin's Creed was specifically mentioned), I'll believe it. I don't have it, but you apparently need to do 50 knife kills, 50 CQC Holds and get into Alert Mode less then 25 times in one playthrough.

Dogmat
06-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Beat the game yesterday! Terrific ending!!!! This has surpassed Final Fantasy VII as my favorite video game of all time! It'll hard for any game this year to match it's quality. Now I'm off to play some Metal Gear Online and I plan to begin my second playthrough soon. If you don't play this game you are missing out on a true video game masterpiece!!!!

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I finished my 3rd Playthrough. I got Stealth and the Solar Gun (from Boktai). Also bought the magic muzzleloader I wanted, so I have all the guns you can actually purchase. I'm gonna work on the Bandana next, and then getting Altair's Uniform.

I'm sad that I'm never going to earn the Snake Eater Theme Song, because you need all 40 emblems to get it. The last emblem is, of course:

Big Boss:
Complete the game in Single Player mode on the hardest difficulty using no continues, instigating no alerts, killing no enemies (including Bosses), using no life recovery items, using no stealth suit or bandanna special items. You can have the items in your inventory but they shouldn’t be activated. You should also have a completion time of less than 5 hours.

For the record, on the No Alert playthrough I just did, I was playing on Liquid Easy and it still took me 6:50 even skipping all the cutscenes and Codec chatter. Plus I killed 100-something people.

Kobbler
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
It's in there. Or so the Internet tells me, but since UbiSoft is in the credits (I can't remember if Assassin's Creed was specifically mentioned), I'll believe it. I don't have it, but you apparently need to do 50 knife kills, 50 CQC Holds and get into Alert Mode less then 25 times in one playthrough.

Its true, I bought the Stratagy Guide since I knew this was going to be a game I would need one in. I cant wait to get it and the cloaking device, going to make me invincible.

Right now Im still on my first playthrough. Im trying to go through with No kills no Alerts on Solid Normal. Thus even with the guide not knowing whats around the corner is causing me some headache. Im to the first encounter with the haven troops. This aught to be fun.

StabWound
06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Heheh.

bakakame
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I know what MY financial stimulus check that I just now got in the mail is going towards.

Use you're stimulus check to buy a japanese game.....

Way to stimulate the US economy there

Got mine 2 weeks ago and have yet to cash it. Aside from the about $400 for booze, I don't know what the heck to spend the rest on.

Dogmat
06-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Heheh.

How??? :eek: :eek: :eek: I thought the Big Boss emblem would be impossible to get!

Meyrin
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I love the game.I finished the game about three times already and I can`t stop playing it.

Archer
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
To be honest, I'm not as amped as most every other person about Metal Gear Solid 4, but maybe that's because I'm not really into games like that (I usually go for fighting games [ex: Street Fighter]), but still, I know as a whole that Metal Gear Solid is a good video game series to get into. I only played the first one years and years ago on the old PlayStation console. I haven't really much played the second or third ones yet, but that'll change sometime when I get the chance. I'm well aware of how great the series is, but it just isn't my style of game. I might play them all through once sometime, but for now; I'll wait. For those playing the game, I hope you have a great time. =)

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Use you're stimulus check to buy a japanese game.....

Way to stimulate the US economy there

Got mine 2 weeks ago and have yet to cash it. Aside from the about $400 for booze, I don't know what the heck to spend the rest on.

Nothing is made in American. No money we put into the economy is going to stay here anyway.

How??? I thought the Big Boss emblem would be impossible to get! It's not that hard, just long and frusterating. MGS4 doesn't count your saves like the old ones, so you can restart from any checkpoint as many times as you want.

Meyrin
06-20-2008, 07:00 AM
I love the emotion bullets.There funny.By hitting a guy with a raging bullet,they`ll kill each other.

I read that you can get Big Boss`face and when you wear it, the enemies will rune away with fear.That must make the game way to easy but to get the mask will be a tough one.

StabWound
06-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I love the emotion bullets.There funny.By hitting a guy with a raging bullet,they`ll kill each other.

I read that you can get Big Boss`face and when you wear it, the enemies will rune away with fear.That must make the game way to easy but to get the mask will be a tough one.
The Big Boss mask is just a corpse with a missing eye, I was kind of disappointed because I was hoping to get a mask looking like the actual Big Boss.

bakakame
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Nothing is made in American. No money we put into the economy is going to stay here anyway.

That's why I'm setting 2/3 of it aside for beer. Domestic beer of course, don't like the foreign brands anyway.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-20-2008, 10:26 PM
That's why I'm setting 2/3 of it aside for beer. Domestic beer of course, don't like the foreign brands anyway.
But even then, what are the beer company executives going to invest your money in? Luxury Items from other countries, and investing in foreign companies.

Kobbler
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Im man enough to admit it, I teared up at the end of this game. I love it. 14 hours, Solid Normal, No Alerts, 5 Kills (That pissed me off), No health items used, and I got all of the Figures. I can work the time down, thats for sure. Im thinking after a couple more goes through the game Im going to go for the big one, The Boss Extreme, Under 5 hours, No kills, No alerts, no health items, no stealth or bandanna.

Cantelope
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Can you still plant C4 on soldier's backs with Stealth Camo?

Noraith
06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
I just gotone question to you all , I'm pretty sure most of you did , But you all did saw the ending after the credits? I didn't actually skip the credits just for inscurance , And i don't know if it cut the ending scene if you skipped the Credits , i just want to know if you all saw the ending with big boss and snake talking and Big boss killing zero? Thanks in advance , just wanted to know. PS. Sorry that i didn't know that you cant skip the credits , Sorry.

Sagat
06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
I hope everyone has beaten the game here before reading that.

Anyhow, from playing all the other MGS games, I knew to wait till the credits were done. And then to wait until that was done so I could listen to that usual radio chatter at the very end.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
1) You can't skip the credits.
2) If you turned the PS3 off whenever a game appeared to end, you'd be a fool. It's not like a movie, where important things after the credits are uncommon in everything but superhero movies.

Edit:

Also, I wanted to share this idea for a sequel I've been having.

Three words: Hal Dating Sim.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get Otacon a women in spite of his weird adopted kid and his creepy octogenarian-looking heterosexual life partner. The choices would range from Mai Ling to Meryl (who is now a widow due to Johnny Sasaki dieing of Dysentery) to the Beauties to one of the Haven Troopers. It doesn't matter who you choose, because in every ending the girl dies, leaving Hal a weeping emotional train wreck.

Kobbler
06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Im going throught now trying to get Chicken lol.

Game Time - over 35 Hours
Kills - over 500
Alert Phases - pver 150
Continues - over 50
Health Items - over 30

Im also going for Hog so Its 40 healing times instead of 30, along with a bunch of other random ones Im going for. I want to get to the point where i can beat the game and get every medal in the next two or three play throughs.

Brojasu
06-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Ive already beat it, and its easily the best PS3 game out at the moment imo