View Full Version : Activision rips off Harmonix again, Film at 11.

05-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Activision, the folks who bought out Red Octane (the GH 1&2 publisher) and therefore the Guitar Hero license are not satisfied will their ill gotten loot, and have taken to blatantly copying Harmonix's (the GH 1&2 developer) Rock Band.

I for one, will not own TWO FAKE DRUM SETS. If I have to choose between Harmonix, the folks who put awesome music in their games, and Activision/Neversoft, the people who PUT DRAGONFORCE IN A GAME, I think my choice is clear.

05-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Goddamnit, shouldn't they be satisfied with ruining skateboarding games? Why must they ruin music games, too?

Before anyone starts in, yes the first couple of THPS games were revolutionary and redefined a genre, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Underground games heralded the coming of the shark(since they already had the ramps to jump it with).

rf switch
05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm ok with it. This affects EA which is good. Besides Harmonix ripped off Konami anyways.

05-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Except that Harmonix had the basic idea (The Axe: Titans of Classic Rock (http://www.allgame.com/cg/agg.dll?p=agg&sql=1:20475)) before Guitar Freaks came out, and the game play in Guitar Hero doesn't resemble Guitar Freaks so much as it resembles Harmonix's own Amplitude and Frequency. I guess I will give them the Guitar Controller, although Guitar Freaks controller was patently lame.

Besides, most of the people who bought GH3 were disappointed, and many have since figured out that Rock Band is superior at not sucking. I don't think GH playing "me too" will hurt Harmonix/MTV Games (EA is just the distributor, they hardly count in the equation in the first place). Most of the people who spent $160 dollars for the box set aren't going to shell out another $170 for non-compatible instruments for a game with more horrible suck-metal then you can shake a stick at.

05-24-2008, 06:22 PM
not really surprised