PDA

View Full Version : Serious Opinions required

Hautalken
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I made this wall 4-5 months ago. I need heavy (also healthy) criticism on tis one. I didn't want to edit it just yet so I made another version (Daisuke beside a wall) out of it. I just found some wall brushes and wanted to try it out. It's something like a picture of Dark etched on the wall and Daisuke passing by wondering...

ok that seems pretty meaningless, I know. But I dn't think the other one is great either.

Comments, please?

Callidin
05-14-2008, 03:36 AM
Hmmm...these are very good in my opinion. I like the one without the wall better. It has great use of blending colors and a nice sense of line movement. It gives off a feeling of content contemplation. It is a little unbalanced but I think that actually helps it out in this case. As for the wall version, it's alright. I like how you added in another character but blended him into the wall but the coloring of the whole thing doesn't feel right. I assume you used Change Hue/Saturation to give it that look. If you had kept Daisuke in full color it would have helped out your view of it a lot. When I say view I mean when you say you want it to look like Daisuke walking past wondering something. By including him into the color change you put him less attention and it makes him look dull and less important to the picture. It makes both of them less in the eyes of a viewer the closer alike they are. If you had it as a sharper contrast between the two then both would be more noticeable and give your picture a higher standing.

My 2 cents, take or leave it. Enjoy :D

Hautalken
05-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh I'll take it. Thanks so much! I'm not really for the people (in this case) who go "oh yes, it's lovely" and just end it right there. That's why I kept the topic name "Serious Opinions Required". Anyway, I'll work on it and try out what you said tomorrow. I'm tired out today and my neck tensions are getting a little too much.

Thanks again.

IchigoKiss
05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Well to be honest I much preffer the 2nd attachment.
I think it suits alot more better.Maybe a little text would work[on the 2nd one]
Anyway on your 1st attch. I didn't really get the brick wall, but the colours
are nice though. Nice brushes BTW ^-^

MistressPookyChan
05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I like the second one better, but the colors in the first one. One suggest I would like to make is to tone down the sparkles a bit. While sparkles can be a great accessory, they can be abused. try varying the size and transparency of the sparkles. It will add a lot more depth to the piece.

Animousflavista
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
It's something like a picture of Dark etched on the wall and Daisuke passing by wondering...
1st one seems to portray what you said, but I suggest u make daisuke color differs out from the background theme. may i suggest a blue hue to match with dark-san theme?

For the 2nd one.. IMO I suggest u could make the bg color theme a liltle bit contrast to the character daisuke, because the red color seems to blended to much with his hair.

Hautalken
05-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all your critique and time. I'll try these out after a little while.

Hautalken
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Here, I'm done editing.Don't ask me to change the bg for the second one to black again because the file is gone...

Daisuke blends well better with the second bg. I'm glad it's not his hair. Everything was too red. I tried to add in depth to the first one by using the same stars' layer, repositioning it, and also lowering the opacity using the eraser (soft brush). Hope that worked. I really need lessons on depth.

MuZ0NaZ
05-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Left one is better. Lowering the opacity of the sparkles won't help - just vary the size (and angle). The shadow works well for adding some depth, but all you have is a wall, so it's about as deep as it gets. Just remove the other character image from the wall as it is too distracting.

Cotaku
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Personally, I like the left one better. Probably because of the shadings, colors, etc etc.

But both of them are quite awesome! Keep up the good work.

Hautalken
05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Personally, I like the left one better. Probably because of the shadings, colors, etc etc.

But both of them are quite awesome! Keep up the good work.

I did say "serious opinions required" which means HEAVY criticism. It's alright though...Thank you.

Thanks for taking time out for me Muzzy. I'll remove Dark and try something on the stars. Let's see what happens...

Cotaku
05-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I did say "serious opinions required" which means HEAVY criticism. It's alright though...Thank you.

Thanks for taking time out for me Muzzy. I'll remove Dark and try something on the stars. Let's see what happens...

Hehe...Sorry. I just don't feel like I'm in a position to judge anybody else because I'm not good at digital art. n_;

Hautalken
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
That's alright, Demoni. If I could learn within 2 months, so can you.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

MuZ0NaZ
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Some more ideas: don't keep the wall gold - experiment with other colour; make the wall less sharp/contrasty and more realistic; incorporate some fractals/abstracts like in the right one but DON'T overdo it (and no sinedots).

Animousflavista
05-21-2008, 04:30 AM
i dont like yellow too much.. so i prefer the dark brown one instead.
but the stars doesnt seems to match with the bg.. change the colors maybe? and vary the depth like Muzonaz said..
The bg doesnt suit very well because the brick on the bg is to sharp but the characters are soft.. plus the color is not natural (its like a gold/metal..)

Hautalken
05-21-2008, 08:07 AM
The only reason I put in the stars was because the Daisuke extract's hair gets cut off at a certain point making it look awkward. Now if I remove the stars, I'm stuck with his hair cut off at one end. That would'nt look very good would it? Any suggestions as to what I can put there instead?

MuZ0NaZ
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I noticed the hair was cut off even with the stars, but only one strand - since you only added stars to mask it and it doesn't look too difficult, just go extend the scan with pen & brush tools.