PDA

View Full Version : Death Note & Macbeth (similiarities)

blackstrike
05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey, does anyone notice that both Light and Misa from Death Note have some similiarities with Macbeth & Lady Macbeth from Shakespeare's classic 'Macbeth' ????

I mean, both of these couples are plotting on something, and light n macbeth died in the end. Not just that, there are more but can anyone tell me pleazze if you had noticed this????? (BEFORE READING THIS THREAD OF COURSE!)

please tell me, i really want to know

just noticed this thing a few hours ago.

Middy
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Before reading this thread, I had not considered this it at all.

I haven't read Macbeth in ages..So I can't tell you how I feel about your conclusion. I'd have to touch up on it and really see if there is a genuine similarity.

blackstrike
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Before reading this thread, I had not considered this it at all.

I haven't read Macbeth in ages..So I can't tell you how I feel about your conclusion. I'd have to touch up on it and really see if there is a genuine similarity.

Haha, that's okay. I made this thread because my drama class in my school is producing the play 'Macbeth' and when I've read death note i noticed there are some 'little' similiarities between Light & Misa and Macbeth & Lady Macbeth. Both these couples are plotting against something offending to the public, as both are villains. Lady macbeth helped Macbeth to fulfill his ambition where misa too, helped her love (light) to fulfill his ambition to. Maybe the story writer is inspired? maybe? just an opinion of me :D

Et cetera
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Actually no.

However, I think Death Note and Code Geass are very similar.
Consider these points:
- Both Light and Lelouch possess a great power in order to change the world
- Both used their powers to temporarily erase their memories
- Both have a younger sister whom was held as a hostage
- Both hid their identity from everyone until the very end
- Both are intelligent and killed many people; (they used a lot of people too)

Those are all the points I could think of right now.

blackstrike
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Actually no.

Consider these points:

That's a very good point you made there (thumb up) :). Sorry,:( but i haven't watched Code Geass yet, so i don't know. :closedeyeI just read the manga of death note 3 days ago. Hey, this thread is more about Light AND Misa thing

asbeom25
05-11-2008, 11:22 AM
That's a very good point you made there (thumb up) :). Sorry,:( but i haven't watched Code Geass yet, so i don't know. :closedeyeI just read the manga of death note 3 days ago. Hey, this thread is more about Light AND Misa thing

definetly good point, they do share similarities, but they're not the same.:)

lynne88
05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
I have to agree that Code Geass and Death Note are surprisingly similar, and they are very well done. If anyone knows of more like them, can you let me know?

As for the couples comparison, you are going on very little. You are pretty much saying that because they plot together they are the same. That similarity is a small one. I don't see any other comparison that you are trying to make with them as a couple (ie Did Macbeth USE Lady MacBeth as Light-kun did Misa?)

Also, I can't see their personalities being that similar. I would see Lady MacBeth being more on the Light side of things with her perception and knowledge, but also as Misa because of her LACK of knowledge.

Macbeth on the other hand, I can not see the similarities.

If you can prove me wrong, please do, I appreciate the facts over all else. I haven't read the play in a while, but that is what I remember.

Otherwise, quite good for a topic. :)

blackstrike
05-23-2008, 03:08 AM
I have to agree that Code Geass and Death Note are surprisingly similar, and they are very well done. If anyone knows of more like them, can you let me know?

As for the couples comparison, you are going on very little. You are pretty much saying that because they plot together they are the same. That similarity is a small one. I don't see any other comparison that you are trying to make with them as a couple (ie Did Macbeth USE Lady MacBeth as Light-kun did Misa?)

Also, I can't see their personalities being that similar. I would see Lady MacBeth being more on the Light side of things with her perception and knowledge, but also as Misa because of her LACK of knowledge.

Macbeth on the other hand, I can not see the similarities.

If you can prove me wrong, please do, I appreciate the facts over all else. I haven't read the play in a while, but that is what I remember.

Otherwise, quite good for a topic. :)

That's okay. I appreciate your correction on me:), it's better for this thread if anybody here contribute better ideas than mine:).

poison.ivy
05-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Actually no.

Consider these points:

Plus, both Kira and Zero [look, false names! =O] are trying to make this world a better place for the ones they love. Also, there are similarities with their enemies, L and Suzaku. They're together as Light and L/Lulu and Suzaku, but they fight each other as Kira and L/Zero and Suzaku. Also, both L and Suzaku have a world wide state organizations behind them. And, both Misa and C.C are of great help to them. But these similarities dramatically change after L's death :/

As for Macbeth, I don't remember the details anymore so I can't back you up :/

Gjallarhorn
05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
[COLOR=Silver][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Actually no.

Consider these points:

The same with...like....50% of every series EVER.

Lelouche didn't erase his own memory. His father did.

Nanaly was kidnapped, but was never held hostage, as she was then given a position of power by her own will.

With MacBeth? Hardly. Keep in mind, in MacBeth, it was Lady MacBeth that did much of the scheming, and MacBeth went along with it, thus becoming a traitor.

With DeathNote, Light did the scheming and the actions, only using Misa another Tool to accomplish his goal. Also, he was never really a traitor, though he did play a double agent(for his side, as well as the police's side).

ChibiNaruto
05-23-2008, 04:22 AM
I could understand how you can relate Death Note to Macbeth. Sometimes, Shakespeare has such general themes in his plays that it can easily relate to other epics.

Kudos to pointing this out :) Now I have a new, different perspective towards Death Note.

lynne88
05-23-2008, 07:02 AM
With MacBeth? Hardly. Keep in mind, in MacBeth, it was Lady MacBeth that did much of the scheming, and MacBeth went along with it, thus becoming a traitor.

Thank you for pointing this out! I appreciate it.

Et cetera
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Lelouche didn't erase his own memory. His father did.

There's a part when Mao and Lelouch were playing chess and Lelouch used the Geass on himself.

sweet pandamonium
05-30-2008, 04:30 AM
HEHE!! I havent thought of that either but they do have things in common

Cross Avantgarde
06-13-2008, 07:42 AM
There is a strong similarity between Macbeth and Death Note in terms of structure alone. In most stories/shows/plays, the protagonist is the "Good Guy," and the antagonist is the "Bad Guy." However, in Death Note and Macbeth, this is reversed.

Light is the protagonist, but is bad. He wants to rid the world of evil, but through unethical means, even if it leads to killing off the world's greatest detective. L is the antagonist, but is good. Both and Light and L proclaim that they are "Justice," though only Light murders in order to back this claim.

In Macbeth, Macbeth is the protagonist and becomes quickly evil (though he starts out as a war hero of Scotland). Macduff is the antagonist, but is good, avenging his family's murder by Macbeth and freeing Scotland from the tyrannical reign of Macbeth.

The protagonist is the central character of any story, while the antagonist is the person(s) or thing that opposes the protagonist. Macbeth and Death Note both use the uncommon structure element of making the protagonist evil and the antagonist good. This is hardly ever done, and both works make great use of this.

So, even if Light and Misa do not perfectly mirror Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, the structure behind both stories is constructed the same unusual way.